General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MP3 for the car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 07:52 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I know of several of the other MP3 players for the car, but this one is new to me, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.directron.com/neo35.html

seems cheap (no hd tho). I'd like to know if anyone actually gets or researches this more. Note the 2 docks included..

[Edited by TimW on 09-14-2000 at 09:55 PM]
Old 09-15-2000, 07:47 AM

2 links

http://www.mp3car.com/tethered.html http://www.mp3car.com/links.html

that first one has yours in it.

the one you mentions is actually really nice. since the hard drive uses fat16 and 32, it makes it easy to het a removable harddrive kit for your computer and mount the hard drive easily. other similar players use their own file system, and also only let you transfer songs through the parallel port (SLOW).

anyway.. hope that helps a bit, i am shopping mysenl

Old 09-15-2000, 08:18 AM

If there were any in stock I might buy this>

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDCMP3&o=M&a=1
Old 09-15-2000, 08:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: If there were any in stock I might buy this>

Okay, OT, I gotta say, your sig is WAY too huge, Peter! Gads! It swallows up my screen!

Old 09-15-2000, 10:05 AM

I have been looking into making my own...

mp3 player for a while. I'm gonna see if I have time to work on it tonight. I'm going to use an old Compaq Laptop. I was gonna gut it out and put Linux on it to make it run a Linux mp3 player for its speed. Then I was probably gonna put a LCD screen on it with an IR Remote. I'll post pictures of my progress if I ever get around to it.
Old 09-15-2000, 11:26 AM

Hows this? n/m

Originally posted by Jambo
Okay, OT, I gotta say, your sig is WAY too huge, Peter! Gads! It swallows up my screen!

Old 09-15-2000, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cheston was thinking about an in-car PC for a while. I think it's back-burned for now.

I was thinking an i810 or i815 MicroATX board. I've got a pair of Celeron 300A PPGA's so I could use one of those, plus 64MB of ram. Video and sound are on-board, can use USB to transfer files or a low-profile NIC or some sort. 2.5" HD or a 3.5" HD, depends on the shock isolation that we need/use... you'd have one board only, plus PS and HD. PS would be a pain.

Either do a serial connection to a keypad and custom program it, (same thing for a small LED or LCD display), or go the expensive route and buy a VGA-capable LCD screen plus touchpad and keyboard....
Old 09-15-2000, 02:17 PM

I just found this portable mp3 cd player for $99!

and until sept 30th you get the $19.95 car kit for free when you enter the promotional code. I just bought one.

Here's how it works!

1. Visit the following link:
http://www.compgeeks.com/cgi-bin/det...a&sku=205-3333

2. Add as many of the MP3 Players as you like to your shopping cart--
units are in stock and ready to ship:
No reservations, no backorders... NO WAITING!

3. Pay special attention to the MP3-related "Checkout Stand Specials"
for great deals on MP3-related products like CD-Writers, blank media,
and speakers.

4. Add any other items you wish to purchase to your cart, and click
"Go to Checkout Stand"

> > > THERE IS NO NEED TO ADD MP3 ACCESSORY KITS TO YOUR CART! < < <

5. Login or Register as a New Customer, and on the "Compute Invoice" screen,
enter the following Promotion Code in the red
"gift certificate or promotion code" field:

MP3-BONUS

6. Click "Continue"

On your Invoice screen, you will see one 205-9963 Portable MP3 Accessory Kit
for each player you ordered, all at $0.00 !

7. Click "Submit Order" to place your order!

Note: This special offer ends September 30th, 2000.

here are some reviews:
http://www.screaming3d.com/reviews/hardware/genica/
http://www.chickshardware.com/html/r...iscman/cd.html
Old 09-16-2000, 08:08 AM

Re: I have been looking into making my own...

yo yo, put your new smokes on your siggie pic! back to work....

Originally posted by Ants97SE
mp3 player for a while. I'm gonna see if I have time to work on it tonight. I'm going to use an old Compaq Laptop. I was gonna gut it out and put Linux on it to make it run a Linux mp3 player for its speed. Then I was probably gonna put a LCD screen on it with an IR Remote. I'll post pictures of my progress if I ever get around to it.
Old 09-16-2000, 09:35 AM

Just installed my own

I just installed my own computer in my maxima and I have to say it kicks ***. Basically if you have a computer laying around or can get one off ebay then i would make your own like I did. It's really easy, total costs came to about $100 (not counting the computer parts which I already had). Basically the system is comprised of:

300 mhz celeron
48 mb ram
6 gig hd
ir remote

I have the case in my trunk and run rca's from the on board sound card to my head unit which has an auxiliary input adapter to use the rca. It's powered by a 300 watt inverter that I got for $30 and that is hardwired to the battery and is also in the trunk with the case. I have a irman from http://www.evation.com which also ran about $35 and that runs from the computers serial port in the trunk up to the back deck. The hard drive is easily removable to take in to my house computer when i want to add more songs. It auto loads into win98 running winamp and I use a remote control to control winamp (including changing playlists, etc). Right now from when I start the car to when the first song plays is 50 seconds. Not too bad, it could be alot faster if i used dos or linux but I plan on getting a 5.6" tv soon in the dash and then i'll also use the computer to play dvd's and gps. Right now I'm running about 500 songs on there and it's the best thing in the world, it's so easy and convenient that I hardly listen to the radio anymore.

2 things to note:
1). I was worried about shock absorbtion being that a computer isn't exactly made for a car but it has performed flawlessly since i installed it, and it's just sitting there in the trunk. Keep in mind this is on pos ny streets.
2). I'm going to be building a custom enclosure soon right now it's just the computer case in there floating around.

If you have any questions or anything don't hesitate. If you have the patience this is definately the route i would go since it's alot more versatile than any other player.

I'm going to have pics of the install up in a few days, they're being developed as we speak.

Later,
Chris
Old 09-20-2000, 05:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some MP3 answers:

Stay away from the Neo...it's a piece of crap. Two people I work with have them and parts have broken and there customer support sucks. They do not recommend buying one, save your money and get a better MP3 player.

As for the AIWA MP3 player from crutchfield, I called and I was told that they have 900 on back order but that the next shipment (due within the next 2-4 weeks) will be over 1500 units, so if you want one place an order. I've got one on order. Tell you how it works when I get it.