General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

installing greddy sp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:36 PM

installing greddy sp?

I am about to receive my Greddy SP exhaust in teh mail. is this something I can do my self with a complete set of tools? (i.e-breaker bar, socket set, jack stands, liquid wrench, anti seize) or am i better off having a shop do it? Are the bolts on the cat as hard to get off as the front ones were for the y-pipe? your help is appreciated
Old 06-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Soak the bolts in liquid wrench or something like that at least a day ahead of when you are gonna work. I think the whole Greddy just bolts right on if I'm not mistaken. Shouldn't be too hard to do yourself unless you gotta get the muffler welded onto the b pipe
Old 06-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My SP hit my car when I would hit a bump it made a thump sound. Under the car right after the cat there is a hanger there. Thats what it hit. Just letting you know what the noise is before hand.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:25 AM

If you have a breaker bar it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd say give it a shot before you take it to an exhaust place, its worth trying yourself. It's hard to say if the bolts on the cat are going to be as difficult as the ones on the y-pipe side, I know mine were a total pain, the first place I took it to couldn't even get them off (It was a really crappy performance shop), but I live in the NY so the winters aren't exactly friendly. Try those bolts first and if they are not coming off see if your local exhaust shop will loosen them for cheap.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your car is relatively new but those exhaust bolt rust out pretty fast. Consider buying some replacement bolts for (the ones just after the cat) because you may need an angle grinder or cut off wheel to get the old ones off if they are not reuseable or won't loosen. Otherwise Greddy fitment is excellent. Really you should be getting any noises/banging if all the hangers are in the right spot (including the ones for the front exhaust). After install, shake the exhaust to test for any contact anywhere. Also, you may need an O2 sensor removal socket tool.

I love my greddy but just wish the piping were stainless... it already looks like crap after just a year.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Your car is relatively new but those exhaust bolt rust out pretty fast. Consider buying some replacement bolts for (the ones just after the cat) because you may need an angle grinder or cut off wheel to get the old ones off if they are not reuseable or won't loosen. Otherwise Greddy fitment is excellent. Really you should be getting any noises/banging if all the hangers are in the right spot (including the ones for the front exhaust). After install, shake the exhaust to test for any contact anywhere. Also, you may need an O2 sensor removal socket tool.

I love my greddy but just wish the piping were stainless... it already looks like crap after just a year.
the bolts on the y-pipe side had to be taken to an exhaust shop so im guessing the same for the back ones. But Ill give her a try. Fro the O2 socket tool cant I just use a 22m socket? thats what I used for the sensors on my y-pipe and I had no problems. Thanks for your help
Old 06-19-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

the bolts on the y-pipe side had to be taken to an exhaust shop so im guessing the same for the back ones. But Ill give her a try. Fro the O2 socket tool cant I just use a 22m socket? thats what I used for the sensors on my y-pipe and I had no problems. Thanks for your help