General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Using CD changer inputs as auxilary input for Bose OE radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 06:32 PM

I've been researching using the cd changer input on the OE bose radio as an auxiliary input. My plan is to hook up a completely stealth multimedia system including DVD, MP3, TV, GPS, etc. You might ask me why I'm sticking with the OE unit.. its because I am trying to have the most complex and versitile system, while keeping the stock look. RIght now I have a very loud and good sounding system that looks totally stock. All components are aftermarket except for the grilles and the headunit.

First I thought of using the CE NET adaptor that's supposed to be used with the CD changer inputs on their "z" series Pro Audio Components as suggested by somebody on this forum. I found the Clarion OEM tech line and the person on the other end was very informative. I found out that the Nissan Bose system is much different then the Clarion mainstream products. I then asked if it was possible to modify the input in accepting line in. The person said that it is indeed possible, as the new Xterra uses a similar radio and there is a switch that toggles to its video player. The video player's inputs is routed through the CD changer inputs. According to the tech, there is a pin that either needs to see a ground or see a 7 volt signal in order to trigger the cd changer into "input mode". I am going to order a technical service manual from Clarion for this radio, it will have the pin outs, so hopefully I will be able to figure something out.

I also read on the Maxima FAQs that the CD changer uses balanced line inputs. This I am going to have to research on, while the signal that goes to the speakers are indeed balanced line (this is what I tapped off of, into audiocontrol EQX's) I'm not sure if it is balanced or not.

Another concern, is I have no idea where to get the harnesses to make the "aux in" harness. I have made a harness before, but I'm hoping that I can either figure out how to make one or modify one that is made for another part or car.

If all goes well, I'll pass along what I figured out here.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any luck? I would like to hook up a satellite radio tuner to the ch changer/aux connector.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:33 PM

This site may be of some use.

http://www.virtualoutlook.net/Products/din1.htm
Old 02-16-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by AltyPaul

Hi Paul
How's the alty?
Old 02-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Ebbhead
Any luck? I would like to hook up a satellite radio tuner to the ch changer/aux connector.
he bought a C5
Old 02-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by AltyPaul

Hey, thanks! I checked them out and their site says that their product is for 2002-2003 Altima. I sent them a mail to ask if applies to 2001 Max.

By the way, I have heard from www.blitzsafe.com and they said they will be having an adapter coming out for my Max in May. Don't know if it will require all of the additional equipment that www.virtualoutlook.net says you need...

-Ebbhead
Old 02-17-2003, 05:07 AM

Hi,

See http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=190039

I guess I could have added to this thread rather than starting a new one, but I didn't see this one first... :)
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 PM

Hmmm interesting. Too bad the Max isnt my project car anyway. I also found that the Bose HU wasnt the best for being the headunit in a high quality aftermarket system. Too many signal EQ's that werent defeatable.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:08 PM

Hey YJ! Doing pretty good. It's been bullet proof. I have one tiny rattle/buzz in the headliner that drives me crazy. It only does it occasionally though. Some day I'll put some foam up there to fix it. Can't really complain though. I've had no tranny, engine, or brake problems. I have about 15,500 miles so far.

Originally posted by yongjun

Hi Paul
How's the alty?