General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Car stolen from dealership. Might get Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 08:29 AM
zooey

Hi!

My 1991 Acura Legend was stolen about a month ago while it was being serviced at Walker Acura in Metairie, Louisiana. They left the keys in the car while it was in their service bay and somebody just took it. There was no break-in to the shop. The dealership has told me they are totally not responsible, in fact I just got the letter in yesterday denying the claim. To boot, the general manager snapped "Hey Lady" at me when I was upset, so I can't consider or recommend that shop because of their customer service.

I have to go through my insurance, etc. etc. But I'm writing here because I have gotten some recommendations to consider a used Maxima as a replacement for my Legend. I test drove a couple at a local Nissan dealership (a 96, 72k miles, handled well & '98 GLX, 32k, very nice but out of my price range) and was impressed with the drive. I didn't expect those cars to be that quick.

What are some common problems with Maxima's that I should look for? When do the timing chains have to be replaced? Are they reliable as they get older? They seem a little big for me, are they nible and easy to drive?

And if anybody has any leads on a reliable, automatic, well-maintained, Maxima, feel free to contact me. (I'm probably looking at the 9-11.5 k range).

Thanks!

LL

Old 02-01-2001, 09:01 AM

This is gotta be a joke! The dealer is 100% responsible.
A while back I heard the story(in fact I think it's still posted on 5406s.com or something), some guy had his nearly new 540i stolen while being serviced at his BMW dealer, the dealer gave him a brand new car.

I think that's normal, if you give them the car, the key, they should be responisble. Ask a lawyer or something, this is such BS!
Old 02-01-2001, 09:57 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by WoodEar
This is gotta be a joke! The dealer is 100% responsible.
A while back I heard the story(in fact I think it's still posted on 5406s.com or something), some guy had his nearly new 540i stolen while being serviced at his BMW dealer, the dealer gave him a brand new car.

I think that's normal, if you give them the car, the key, they should be responisble. Ask a lawyer or something, this is such BS!

I agree, the dealership is 100% responsible for your car once its out of your hands. What if someone got in a reck at the dealer in your car, what are they gonna do give you the keys say it was your fault? No, you need to get a lawyer and go after that dealer personally....

Old 02-01-2001, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about that. Maximas are not the best handling cars, but with some very minor modifications they will be better than your legend. I would check the for sale forum here and see if anybody has one in your area. We are all fanatics about our cars here so I'm sure you would find one well maintained and in your price range.
Old 02-01-2001, 10:54 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

A while back when I had my Stanza someone hit it in the parking lot of the dealer when it was in there for service.

They put a 8"X 2" hole in the front bumper.

The guy that hit the car went into the service area and told them, so they gave me his information when I called, but if he didn't I would have made the dealer fix it for free...no matter what.

Besides...the reason that he hit my car was that someone from the service department parked the car in a fire lane ( on their lot )....some people...
Old 02-01-2001, 03:55 PM

it's different though.
getting stolen at on the dealer parking lot, is not the same as getting stolen on the service bay.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:18 PM

I totally agree with the rest...

the dealership is responsible. Don't let them look down on you because you are a female. Once you hand over the key, it is their duty to keep the car safe, especially if they are going to leave the key inside (most of them do).

Old 02-01-2001, 05:52 PM

here's a link to an ad fyi, it's a 5 speed but maybe you can work a deal with someone here who has an automatic and wants a 5 speed. there are certain to be some takers for that.

sorry to hear of your stolen car, but the dealer will pay in the long run bc if you're insurance pays they will probably file suit against the dealer. speak with your insurance company, they have lawyers to deal with this stuff and you won't have to shell out your money to get the lawyer. the dealer's playing hardball but they are responsible; my wife is an atty and handled a case like this before and i recall the shop had to pay, actually the shop's insurance, they have insurance for stuff like that. so don't take the dealer's reaction to heart, they are just ruthless people trained to behave that way.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
here's a link to an ad fyi, it's a 5 speed but maybe you can work a deal with someone here who has an automatic and wants a 5 speed. there are certain to be some takers for that.

sorry to hear of your stolen car, but the dealer will pay in the long run bc if you're insurance pays they will probably file suit against the dealer. speak with your insurance company, they have lawyers to deal with this stuff and you won't have to shell out your money to get the lawyer. the dealer's playing hardball but they are responsible; my wife is an atty and handled a case like this before and i recall the shop had to pay, actually the shop's insurance, they have insurance for stuff like that. so don't take the dealer's reaction to heart, they are just ruthless people trained to behave that way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=549593504

ruthless and sometimes tactless and uneducated/rude; almost forgot why I started this post:
Old 02-01-2001, 08:08 PM

the dealer left the keys in the car!!!!!
Old 02-04-2001, 09:21 AM

heh your local tv stations don't do that constumer lawyer junk??? i'd report the to the tv people cuz tv is cool and if you dont get the $$$ from the dealer you'll probly be famouse and get a free car from a better dealer
Old 02-04-2001, 10:19 AM

There are definitly some typical problems across the board with Maxima's. I noticed that at around 50k is when starters are normally replaced. A lot of maxima's also have the check engine lights come on, but it's almost always due to a faulty o2 sensor which on 95-96 I believe is a recall and covered under warranty. Maxima's are also notorious for going lasting 180,000 miles. Joltly automatic transmissions exist from when they come off the line, but using that can be a good price haggler. If you actually do get the car, you can counter this jolty transmission to make it run a lot smoother if it bothers you that much.

They are a larger car than a regular honda/acura, but I think this fact is definitly compensated by the body design which allows you to always know where your car is on the road. I've driven civic's, accord's, integra's, and even a 94 legend, and they all are much easier to handle ( turning ), but I couldn't see as well with any of those car's than I could with my maxima. When changing lanes I often notice myself moving my head up and down and checking my blind spot twice with a honda/acura because you just can't see as well due to either the body design or mirror setup or how much glass you can look through, really I don't know; personally I just found it a lot easier to drive a maxima.

You won't be able to take corner's as fast as you did in your legend, but if you put a nice set of tires and get a strut bar it really does compensate for this fact. The SE has the best handling of all the trims, and all maxima's have speed-dependent steering. Meaning the faster you drive the more responsive the steering. This is great for changing lanes on the interstate when your going fast since you barly have to turn the wheel, and also great when your parking since it's really loose because your going so slow. You can take corner's at 40mph in a maxima no problem, just not 60mph like your acura.

There are quite a few negatives to the change, but also many postives. For instance, you won't have cheap recycled plastic which expands and contracts easily causes 'steering squeaks', and problems with your moon/sunroof; problems which acura/honda is known for. Also, take a drive on the interstate and you'll notice you don't have to blast your stereo to counter the interior road noise which acura/honda is also known for. I don't know if you had this problem, but I also noticed that even with the luxurious acura's, power disbursement seems to be a problem with the honda/acura line. Closing two power windows is like asking the car to go 150mph; I just noticed they seemed to struggle a lot.

Personally I owned a 96 se, and I didn't have one problem with it. Now I have a 96 accord lx and I've got a pile of problems, nothing large, just a bunch of annoyances. Oh yea, the biggest annoyance on Maxima's is after awhile the dash will jitter, it's reall annoying. It's not loud or anything, just really annoying if your a perfectionist.

Quite a number of people are disappointed with the car, but it's just not for everyone. If your worried about overall relibility (check consumer reports for support), maxima's have a lot of it. They've been rated having the best v6 engine in it's class for 5 or 6 years now, and the cheapest car in it's class that can carry 5 people and go 140mph.

-Nate
Old 02-09-2001, 07:00 PM

Hey zooey

I'm pretty sure its you... did you post on a legends forum? i used to have a 92 legend coupe but now i have a 97 max. i just read ur post and it sounded so familiar so i thought it had to be you.

[Edited by _DRU_ on 02-10-2001 at 01:29 PM]
Old 02-09-2001, 07:20 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

dunno about the 4th gen Maxima in comparison to the Legend.. but..

..Just to add on the situation with your car getting stolen...
That is complete ********, you need to get a lawyer and get the dealer to fully compensate for the cost of the blue book price on the Legend, THEN you can get a Maxima. But seriousely, shops aren't even allowed to have regular people or those unauthorized to have in the work area, because they are fully responsible if something happens to the person or even the car. Its like when some moron slips and falls in front of some store and sue's the store for 11 mil. bux because they failed to sweep the sidewalk. But, you trusted them with your car to do repair and get it back, they are responsible for returning it to you and returning it fixed. I don't know **** about law but those guys are trying to screw you.
Old 02-09-2001, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about your Lengend but I hope I can help you out. . .

As far as the timing belt goes, all 95+ Maxima's have timing chains. This means they should last the life of the engine, I haven't heard of one having to be replaced yet. The main complaint I hear is the interior sometimes rattles as they get older. The paint quality isn't all that, but if those are the main complaints people can think of, I would consider it still a good car. Starters are a problem on some of the cars, and people have problems with the auto tranny around 100K it seems. The main complaint I have is it is hard to park in smaller spots as the turning radius isn't that great.

The engine is great though. . . I understand why it is considered the best in its class. The interior is big, and it is easy to manuver in traffic and such. The interior is quiet, and, on my SE, while you can feel the road more, it doesn't become annoying and it gives you a better sense of control. I have never driven a Legend so I can't do any sort of comparisons as far as that goes, but with the Maxima you do get a lot of car for the money.
Old 02-09-2001, 11:21 PM

my buddy has a 93 legend and i have to say that it is a very nice car. it's relatively quick (auto) and very comfortable.
I have a 95 auto se and i definately think that some things could be improve. I read nforg's post and i kinda wanna give some of the downsides of max ownership, there's not many but maybe i'm just being over sensitive.
1. The stick is a must. I though that i wanted a quiet sedan for a change as opposed to a loud and fast pony car. I thought that the auto would fit the personality of the car. Wrong. I would suggest a five speed to anybody. I think that max's should come standard with 5 speeds. It's a completely different car, trust me.
2. Wow, where did all these squeaks come from? seems like theres a new one every day. My friends legend is older than my car but is whisper quiet. I've pretty much given up on driving with the stereo off.
3. Stock suspension is okay but nothing compered to the suspension after mods. Good news is that sports car level handling is only springs/shocks, front strut tower brace, and rear sway bar away. But if you only want the minimum, springs and FSTB will definately transform the car.
4. The engine is superb. I find myself being hyper sensitive bout the little problems and noises because the engine gives me so little to complain about. I would say that in my opinion, the engine in the max defines the car.
I really can't compare my max to my friends legend. My car is faster, louder, not as luxurious, handles better, rides harsher, and that was before mods. The only thing that our cars share in common is that we never go to a repair shop til we want to and our cars have never been hooked to a tow truck.
If you want a similar car to a legend, go with a newer gen top line accord. they're pretty much the same car. if you want 80% the comfort and 130% the performance, get a 5 speed max and you'll never regret it.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:06 AM
zooey

Hi again -

Thanks for all of your help. I'm the one who had the car stolen (still) and am in the final phases of settling with my insurance because Walker Acura, the dealership from where the car was stolen, still denies any responsibility.

Yep _DRU_, I 'm the person who posted on the Legend board for advice. In fact, some people had talked so well of the Maxima's that's why I wanted one. I changed screen names, but still the same story. The guys and girls on the Legend board were really helpful and I totally appreciated the support.

As for the Maxima, probably next time around. I ended up getting a 1999 Toyota Camry ducking from rocks thrown because it was such a whisper-quiet ride and it has some exterior work that needs to be done, so it was being sold low. I kind of feel like a grandma in it because though it drives like butter, it is no match for the performance of my Legend or the Maximas.

Now, let me say I totally wanted the 222 hp and very cool styling of the Maxima - i just love the way they look - but it ended up coming down to money, comfort and availability. However, I saw a black 2001 Limited Edition Maxima at the dealership, with the white face gauges, silver styling and grey leather - want it, need it, love it...drool, drool....

To everybody who posted, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll be eyeing the Maximas for the next go round. One thing I am telling all my friends though, is when you bring your car to a garage or dealership to be worked on, ask them how and if they secure their cars, and what is their policy on if your car is stolen while under their care. The keys were left in my Legend at Walker Acura and it was just taken from their service bay and I no longer have my first car.

Lei Lani

Old 02-11-2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by zooey
Hi!

My 1991 Acura Legend was stolen about a month ago while it was being serviced at Walker Acura in Metairie, Louisiana. They left the keys in the car while it was in their service bay and somebody just took it. There was no break-in to the shop. The dealership has told me they are totally not responsible, in fact I just got the letter in yesterday denying the claim. To boot, the general manager snapped "Hey Lady" at me when I was upset, so I can't consider or recommend that shop because of their customer service.

I have to go through my insurance, etc. etc.
Hmmmm, the minute the General Manager had snapped "Hey Lady" at me, he'd either been on the floor or I'd been demanding the owners phone number! This is ********..you think he'd said that to a man....don't think so...well, I know he wouldn't have said "hey LADY" but you know what I mean. I would have been more than "upset", I'd been downright furious equally, at their BS claims that they weren't responsible and at the manner in which you were dealt, I'm sure because you were female. Surely your insurance is not going to accept their claim that they aren't responsible???? This is why a dealer is required to carry his own insurance.The only reason I could think that they wouldn't be responsible is if you drove the car to the lot, left the key in it without notifying someone at the dealer.

Sorry to hear about your car, and glad to hear you already have a new one. I'm on my second new (old) vehicle purchase in a little more than 40 days, due to wrecks. Its not fun. Personally I wouldn't let it rest there, I would be writing the Acura Corporation, registering a complaint against the dealership, copying the owner of the WAlker Acura AND the General Manager on the letter. Even if my insurance was paying, I wouldn't take a "Hey LadY" sitting down! And yes, my complaint letter would be done in a professional, calm manner, just written to "draw blood". The GM would regret his poor choice of words.

-L (who swears she doesn't burn her bra, just will not tolerate being treated in a condescending manner quietly)
Old 02-12-2001, 05:05 AM

I'll sell ya mine for $10,500

95SE AUTO w/66k; black emerald, tan interior. Car has H&R springs, new struts and Stillen Exhaust. New Brakes, Belts, battery, starter, recent tuneup, and flush of radiator. The car is in perfect shape.

Let me know.

SHUMAX