General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Jambo...tell me where to send the check!!.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 05:35 PM
My 4DSC

These error messages are getting outta hand.
I'm getting so frustrated I dont even wanna try to post anymore...
I know its not just my P.O.S. computer anymore...
Hope we're not nearing the end of Maxima.org.

Old 02-02-2001, 05:38 PM

I second that! Lets pay up, and get stickers!
Old 02-02-2001, 05:44 PM

I think it would be best if Jambo set up a paypal account. Then everybody could just send him $$$
Old 02-02-2001, 10:07 PM

my sentiments exactly, hell i'll send you 20 bux, let's get going Jambo, if some people don't want to ante up, so be it, let em be free loaders, just give em that title under there name "Freeloader" LOL
Old 02-03-2001, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuggedaboudit !!!

I don't know what Jamie's issue is, but it appears that all of our appeals are simply entering a black hole from which not even light can escape. After all, how much more attractive can we make it then stating our willingness to throw money at him to fix the problem?

Believe me, if I was running this database and you guys offered to buy me my own dedicated server, I'd be all over it like white on rice!
Old 02-03-2001, 11:22 AM

Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

Originally posted by y2kse
I don't know what Jamie's issue is, but it appears that all of our appeals are simply entering a black hole from which not even light can escape. After all, how much more attractive can we make it then stating our willingness to throw money at him to fix the problem?

Believe me, if I was running this database and you guys offered to buy me my own dedicated server, I'd be all over it like white on rice!
One thing we have to remember is that for now this is a free site and Jamie isnt getting paid to provide it. Even though i hate how slow it is and the errors, we cant really complain
Old 02-03-2001, 04:01 PM

lol.
Old 02-03-2001, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

Originally posted by Max Speed

One thing we have to remember is that for now this is a free site and Jamie isnt getting paid to provide it. Even though i hate how slow it is and the errors, we cant really complain
I'm really not complaining, Max Speed. Mostly I'm just confused. At one time Jamie suggested the idea of taking donations to beef up the server. Now there appears to be a line of people ready and willing to put money into Jamie's bank account. But he won't respond.

What's up with that?
Old 02-03-2001, 06:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

Dedicated servers are not cheap. The only way you could help him pay for one is if you paid a large sign up fee and a monthly subscription to the site.

I got a very fast server on a very fast line a while back and even offered to host the site for Jambo, but he refused because "I am not a big corperation that he can come crying to for support" or something along those lines. Not to bash Jambo or anything, but uhm....uhhhh....OK?!?!?!

I'm really not complaining, Max Speed. Mostly I'm just confused. At one time Jamie suggested the idea of taking donations to beef up the server. Now there appears to be a line of people ready and willing to put money into Jamie's bank account. But he won't respond.

What's up with that?
Old 02-03-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

What's up with that?
I totally understand, I gave a suggestion also that would bring money into the org. and it was given a thumbs down also.
Im just saying at least we have this forum at all
Old 02-03-2001, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by doug
Originally posted by PeelBoy
lol.
Old 02-03-2001, 08:25 PM

i like the forum a lot
i don't mind the errors
just experienced it once today.

today is a good day

Jamie I know how hard it is to keep the server running.

Just tell me where and when i get stickers
Old 02-03-2001, 08:39 PM

What? lol... That is nothing. I don't think he would remove the thread over that? (Or I hope not lol)..

I could go on a real ranting rampage if I wanted too, but I don't.

Originally posted by doug
In before the Lock or Delete
Old 02-03-2001, 11:54 PM

Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

Ya i know what you mean. I emailed him about advertising my business on the board and never got a reply.... Guess he doesnt want my money either..

Adam
Old 02-04-2001, 06:50 AM

Must be a legal hitch he can't figure out or decide how to resolve. I remember something to do with that. Just sell the stickers & others stuff IMO. But what do I know?

We're behind ya Jambo!
Old 02-04-2001, 06:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

Hey there,

I never received an e-mail from you to my knowledge about advertising. Will you send me another one to jamie@maxima.org? I'll be glad to send you information on advertising.

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE

Ya i know what you mean. I emailed him about advertising my business on the board and never got a reply.... Guess he doesnt want my money either..

Adam
Old 02-04-2001, 07:01 AM

hey Jambo, the site is cruising today, what happened dude? this is great right now!
Old 02-04-2001, 07:05 AM

Lots of good feedback here . . .

The only question is, is Jamie willing to let us know what it would it take to provide us with reliable service?

Hey Jeremy. If Jamie refuses to respond, what would it cost to have you host the forum on your fast server? Please give us a bottom line price if you can. Thanks.

[Edited by y2kse on 02-04-2001 at 09:11 AM]
Old 02-04-2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE

the site is cruising today, what happened dude? this is great right now!
Enjoy it while you can, plrod. It won't last.
Old 02-04-2001, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
hey Jambo, the site is cruising today, what happened dude? this is great right now!
Yeah, errors every twenty minutes now! It used to be for eer 3-5 minutes. The site was down last night, and i guess he just cleaned out all of the excess trash here.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:00 AM

Yet once again, I'll go through this....

If everyone starts to just donate money, then those who donate (unless I get everyone to sign something saying otherwise) could potentially have a "stake" in the server. What if someone's posts get out of hand? Do those who donated have MORE of a right to say what gets deleted and what doesn't? That really starts to get messy. So, please don't feel offended if I reject offers. It's in no way meant to be rude or anything. It's just that when you open the floodgates to that kind of thing, it can bring all kinds of complications. Believe me -- based on the variety of user personalities we have here that I've seen, we have the potential to have a few who feel like they have a say in things if they donate $5 to a server that was bought.

Also, the reason that I didn't go with Peel's offer of using the server was support. I don't know why it's now become a bone of contention or anything. I merely told Peel that if something was to go down or be a problem at 2am, I'd really want to know that there was someone sitting there able to help with a problem. I am paying for a server now and should expect 24/7 support. Can he provide that? I'd seriously doubt it since he has a job himself and a life and probably isn't going to want to be "Maxima.org support" all the time. You get what you pay for. Not a stab at Peel, but just a fact.

The stickers are getting printed and we've gotten WAY more support for that than I expected. That will help greatly in giving us another couple of months of buffer in the bank account. Great jobs guys!

Lastly, dedicated servers are a big step. Even if people were to contribute money, there's a difference between buying a server (colocating), and getting a dedicated server that we're on solely. Both are pretty expensive, upwards of $700-1000/month. Unless people are willing to CONSISTENTLY give money per month (and we've already had a lengthy discussion about that in the 'Feedback' forum -- i.e. people don't want a "membership fee"), then we can't do anything that is going to be outlandishly costly per month.

If anyone has any more questions or wishes to comment, please send me e-mail and I'll be glad to converse with you there.
Old 02-04-2001, 02:08 PM

I have an idea, Jamie . . .

First, why don't you find out if anyone would be willing to assume responsibility for running the forum besides you. If someone wants to take it on and has the ability to provide a higher level of service, I'd suggest we give them a try. If not, then I'd say you've got us over a barrel. You'd be in a position to name your own price. Either we continue to live with poor performance or we meet your demands as you state them, not as we want them.

You keep beating around the bush, Jamie. Instead of telling us what it might cost, why don't you tell us precisely what it will cost to provide us with reliable, high-speed service. Once we have the number in front of us, you might be surprised at how many of us would be willing to contribute with no strings attached.

What have you got to lose?

[Edited by y2kse on 02-04-2001 at 04:15 PM]
Old 02-04-2001, 03:28 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Yet once again, I'll go through this....

I won't get into any heated arguement with you. But I want to know WHY you need support 24/7 for just a silly little club hobby? This isn't a business, its just a hobby where people communicate. If it goes down for a a few hrs or a day, I don't think people will care that much, which it will rarely happen i am pretty sure,. I personally think you should use Peelboys server. Give it a try Jamie, what have you got to lose. It's better than what you got going on right now.

Old 02-04-2001, 06:26 PM

Re: Re: Yet once again, I'll go through this....

Well, its apparent from your comment that you don't realize that it IS a business and when you have advertisers who pay for advertising space, you have a standard to which you have agree to serve them. The system can't just be down for days on end just because you think it's a "silly little club hobby". Someone paid money for ad space here and that's what they need to get -- their advertising.

Yes, I do need 24/7 support. I need the server to be up as much as possible. Remember there's other areas of the site that also serve ads too. So even though the forum system isn't working consistently at the moment, the rest of the site is and if I were a paying advertiser, I'd want the site I was advertising to be up all the time with minimal downtime.

Russ, your attitudes about the server, how I run Maxima.org, and what you think I ought to do with the site are best kept to yourself. You have no concept of what it's like to run a site of this size (no, it wasn't this big when you ran it), to have paying advertisers, and this much traffic. You seem to think that I've got some alterior motive on this site (i.e. your comments on the Maxima mailing list), so as long as you make those kind of comments, your comments here will be largely overlooked.

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
I won't get into any heated arguement with you. But I want to know WHY you need support 24/7 for just a silly little club hobby? This isn't a business, its just a hobby where people communicate. If it goes down for a a few hrs or a day, I don't think people will care that much, which it will rarely happen i am pretty sure,. I personally think you should use Peelboys server. Give it a try Jamie, what have you got to lose. It's better than what you got going on right now.