General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dynoed My 95SE today >>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 01:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Made 2 runs on a Dynojet both very close to each other. 1st run was 175 FWHP and 193 FWTorque, 2nd run was 175 FWHP and 191 FWTorque. I have a 1995 SE Automatic, what does a stock automatic make ???? Also my mods are BOBO Homemade Cone intake, JWT ECU, Stillen Y-pipe.
Old 02-03-2001, 03:53 PM

Good #'s for an Automatic, and you have good torque. :o) n/m

Old 02-03-2001, 03:54 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Are those SAE corrected HP? That's really good. Stock auto dyno anywhere from 145p-155hp.

Originally posted by JULIAN
Made 2 runs on a Dynojet both very close to each other. 1st run was 175 FWHP and 193 FWTorque, 2nd run was 175 FWHP and 191 FWTorque. I have a 1995 SE Automatic, what does a stock automatic make ???? Also my mods are BOBO Homemade Cone intake, JWT ECU, Stillen Y-pipe.
Old 02-03-2001, 04:05 PM

Excellent numbers.....

Very very good. With a 20% driveline loss(atleast that with a NISSAN auto) you are at around 210hp/230ft-lbs of torque. Your car must be pretty dang fast!
Old 02-03-2001, 04:52 PM

Thats weird! Cause I also dynoed my car last year at STILLEN's open house and I got 159.8hp at the wheels and 161.9 tq, those were my max numbers. I dont know why I got those, cause they are really really low. As you can see below what my mods are so can someone tell me what might be the prob. (exm) tire pressure, tire position..

Thanks a lot for any help guys,

Chris
Old 02-03-2001, 05:57 PM

What do you think your JWT added to your numbers? How much extra hp???
Old 02-03-2001, 07:13 PM

Well I think the JWT ECU added >>>>>

Originally posted by Car With No Name
What do you think your JWT added to your numbers? How much extra hp???

About 12 FWHP, I am pretty sure because when I measured my HP with my VERICOM performance computer it said that the JWT ECU gave me an additional 12 FWHP, the Y-pipe gave me another 12 FWHP, and the intake gave me like 3 FWHP or less, of course I measured each mod one at a time doing several runs and getting an average. The peak HP that I was getting with the Vericom Performance Computer is less than the Dynojet, becuase with the Vericom, you will also be measuring the HP loss from wind resistance and friction fro 4 wheels versus only 2 wheels on the dyno jet. But if a STOCK Auto makes about 150 FWHP on the Dynojet and my car is making about 175 FWHP with my mods and measured on the DYNOJET that is a gain of 25 FWHP. With my Vericom Performance Computer I also measure a 27 FWHP gain. I would say that they are both pretty much equal and accurate.

[Edited by JULIAN on 02-03-2001 at 09:16 PM]
Old 02-03-2001, 07:50 PM

Stock is 155 for 95 max auto
hey..thats my car stock
=]
Ill dyno again when I have more mods
Old 02-03-2001, 11:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Man, I thought I was doing good with 176 fwhp/193 fwtq with a 5 speed Max. Biomax, myself, and a handful of others all make about the same power and even Biomax made as much power as myself even though he had the JWT ECU. Have you ever taken your car to the track? What kind of dyno was this? I'm asking because you are making as much torque as a SC auto Maxima and that doesn't seem to sound quite right. Was this a Clayton dyno or a G-Tech dyno? Most auto VQs are making about 165 fwhp/175fwtq with the same kind of mods. You're making as much torque as a modded 5th gen 5 speed (MaddMax).

Dave
Old 02-04-2001, 12:08 AM

Dave...about biomax...I think he dynoed around 180 FWHP +
that is the time that a lot of us dynoed including me...
give or take 5 FWHP
alrighty..
Old 02-04-2001, 01:16 AM

Well.......

I dynoed about a week ago, and got 172FWHP, and 188FWTQ. This was on a Dynojet performed at a very reputable Dyno shop here in town. I also have an auto max, 96se. I wasn't too pleased with the numbers, thought they would be higher. I'm about to do a much needed tune-up on the car real soon. I'm gonna go with some Iridium plugs as well.

I'm planning to dyno again after the tune-up and after putting on an ECU. I hope to be in the 180's for a N/A auto 4th gen, and close to 200tq. We'll see...

I do have most of the mods available for the max as a N/A at this time: PRCAI/stillen Y-pipe/RT cat/Greddy/UDP I think the Stillen Intake may make a little more hp at the top-end than the CAI(I had the stillen intake before my PR CAI). My car doesn't feel as peppy right now, the tune-up may help a little. I'll respond with my numbers after the tune-up/ECU completion...

Rob

P.S. thanks for the info
Old 02-04-2001, 01:16 AM

Well.......

I performed a single Dyno run about a week ago, and got 172FWHP, and 188FWTQ. This was on a Dynojet performed at a very reputable Dyno shop here in town. I also have an auto max, 96se. I wasn't too pleased with the numbers, thought they would be higher. I'm about to do a much needed tune-up on the car real soon. I'm gonna go with some Iridium plugs as well.

I'm planning to dyno again after the tune-up and after putting on an ECU. I hope to be in the 180's for a N/A auto 4th gen, and close to 200tq. We'll see...

I do have most of the mods available for the max as a N/A at this time: PRCAI/stillen Y-pipe/RT cat/Greddy/UDP I think the Stillen Intake may make a little more hp at the top-end than the CAI(I had the stillen intake before my PR CAI). My car doesn't feel as peppy right now, the tune-up may help a little. I'll respond with my numbers after the tune-up/ECU completion...

Rob

P.S. thanks for the info
Old 02-04-2001, 02:22 AM

His dyno is about right. I remember when Don dynoed his 95 auto with CAI, Y pipe, JWT ECU, exhaust, UDP. I believe he did around 171hp/192tq, I remember talking about how he had like 10-14lb-ft from 3800-5000 vs SmartAzz's 97 auto with CAI, Y pipe, exhaust. Also don't forget on the dyno without the JWT ECU he is losing around 8-10lb-ft from 3000-5000rpm. While he didn't gain much toppend power, the JWT ECU did give him around 8hp/10tq at the wheels. Hell my 87 maxima with a CAI almost dynoed the same torque as a bone stock VQ. My engine was rated at 152hp/168tq at the flywheel. I believe the auto's will see a better benefit from the ECU than the 5spds due to the gear ratios. With a 5spd the engine is turning at least 4600rpm+ in the next shift, were as the auto comes back to around 4000rpm. As you can see a stock ECU auto vs JWT/UPRD ECU max would get walked badly. Here is his dyno .

Originally posted by Dave B
Man, I thought I was doing good with 176 fwhp/193 fwtq with a 5 speed Max. Biomax, myself, and a handful of others all make about the same power and even Biomax made as much power as myself even though he had the JWT ECU. Have you ever taken your car to the track? What kind of dyno was this? I'm asking because you are making as much torque as a SC auto Maxima and that doesn't seem to sound quite right. Was this a Clayton dyno or a G-Tech dyno? Most auto VQs are making about 165 fwhp/175fwtq with the same kind of mods. You're making as much torque as a modded 5th gen 5 speed (MaddMax).

Dave
Old 02-04-2001, 03:11 AM

Forgot to say that This was done on a >>>.

DYNOJET DYNO somthing like a 248 dynojet, they are good speed shop here that have been in business for many years here. Oh by the way my car has over 110K miles on it with the only problem was I had to change the knock sensor and one O2 sensor recently other than that the car has been very reliable, so anyone afraid to by a Maxima with high miles do not worry, the cars seem to be just breaking in after 100K miles and are just as strong as it was when new. No wonder they maxima VQ engine has been rated #1 6 straight years in a row, they were suprise I had so many miles on my car.

[Edited by JULIAN on 02-04-2001 at 05:18 AM]
Old 02-04-2001, 11:52 AM

Yeah... I'm not sure what the actual number of the machine was that I dynoed on, but it was a Dynojet. They had a really nice set-up for readouts as well. Julian...thanks for the info on your ecu, sounds like it produced some really good power for you. Have you run at the track?
Old 02-04-2001, 04:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well I'd have to say those are by far the best numbers I've ever heard a auto VQ ever put down. I've never heard of a auto VQ coming remotely close to making 190 fwtq. Congrats. You are making as much power as most modded 5 speeds which is still very confusing for me to grasp because the automatic naturally will lose at least 5% power vs a 5 speed. Do you guys test in 2nd or 3rd?

What have you run at the track? If you auto guys are making this much power, why aren't a lot of you guys deep into the 14s NA? All I can think is that the automatic's 1st gear must kill it's overall 1/4 mile performance. I've run a couple lightly modded early 4th gen autos and I easily walked away from them in all gears. Stop and from a roll. I'm gonna have to convince my neighbor to dyno his 95 SE auto.

Dave
Old 02-04-2001, 06:06 PM

We tested the car on the DYNO >>>>>

on 3rd gear, he said that he tries to test the cars in the gear that is closest to the 1:1 ratio. I have never been to the track, maybe this summer if I still have the car, the closest 1/4 mile track is about 2 hours away. IMHO I agree with you Dave that I think the AUTO Maxima's 1st gear is probably wy they do not produce very good 1/4 mile times. Numerically if the AUTOS could have like a 4.11 gear installed they would be close numerically to the 5 speed. Maybe that is what us AUTO guys need is someone to make a 4.11 gear !!!!!! If that was the case, drag racng between an AUTO with a 4.11 and a 5 SPEED would be very interesting the 5 SPEED driver would have to make sure to shift very well and very fast !!!!
Old 02-04-2001, 07:12 PM

hehe I've been saying that for a long time....

I can tell ya right now ain't no way in hell a 4.11 final will be made for auto's . However there is an alternative if one ran 205/50-15s it would be the same as using a 4.0 final gear. It boggles the mind why nissan would put a shorter final gear in the 5spd (3.82 vs 3.65 of the 3rd gen) but keep the same 3.62 for the auto. I say just get an extra set of 15" front wheels with some 205/50-15's and go hunting 5spds .

Originally posted by JULIAN
on 3rd gear, he said that he tries to test the cars in the gear that is closest to the 1:1 ratio. I have never been to the track, maybe this summer if I still have the car, the closest 1/4 mile track is about 2 hours away. IMHO I agree with you Dave that I think the AUTO Maxima's 1st gear is probably wy they do not produce very good 1/4 mile times. Numerically if the AUTOS could have like a 4.11 gear installed they would be close numerically to the 5 speed. Maybe that is what us AUTO guys need is someone to make a 4.11 gear !!!!!! If that was the case, drag racng between an AUTO with a 4.11 and a 5 SPEED would be very interesting the 5 SPEED driver would have to make sure to shift very well and very fast !!!!
Old 02-04-2001, 08:57 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Na...you don't need deeper gears. You need a good high stall torque converter and a valve body upgrade. I think a lot of autos would be ripping into the 14s if more guys would realize that a good stall converter will let you rip out of the hole and even from a roll. I'm not talking about a really deep stall, but something like a 2500-2600rpm. JimW was on his way to the 14s, but he gave up and bought that crappy A6 j/k

Dave
Old 02-04-2001, 09:44 PM

1st gear...really really bad in the auto
any I dynoed in the 3rd gear, Ie..stuck it in drive and over drive is off.
oh well
I am planning to rebuild the transmission to the better version when I lend a job after grad school, Soon I hope.
0.5 sec off 1/4 miles time with transmission upgrade? ..sounds good
=]
Old 02-04-2001, 10:21 PM

I ran at the track for the first time ever about a month ago. I had traction problems in first off the line. I didn't try brake torqueing it on the start. Just came off the line from idle. I would get some spin, then after it would drop back to a lower rpm and start all over thru first. Seemed like it took forever to get thru first gear. Plus my shifts were real slow between 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. Especially 2nd to 3rd.....arrrgggggg...took forever to get into the next gear. Also I was told to let the car cool down before making some runs...I had started as I pulled in to the track after a 1.5 hour road trip(I'll be cooling down the car next time). This formality should be taken care of as of today. I am the proud owner of Don's VB just installed today...wooohooo. I'm taking it real easy for now, but I can already tell a big difference in shift speed...yes.

I ran a 15.42 for my first time, so I expect to bring this for sure to the low 15's. Then I'll be getting an ECU soon. I don't feel so bad anymore about my 1/4 time the first time out. It wasn't what I thought the car had in it, so now I can try to improve on it. We'll see soon.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:45 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It looks like the auto Max is bog crazy while the 5 speed Max is a spin induced nightmare. Either way, what kills these car's performance is the abiltiy to get off the line effectively. I still haven't figured out how to launch the 5 speed on a slick track surface. Last year I tried launching anywhere from 1800-3000 rpms with slipping or dumping the clutch and I always got horrible wheelspin regardless. Plus when I hit 2nd I spin again. Hopefully this season will be better with my new tires and brand new struts all around.

Dave
Old 02-05-2001, 09:22 AM

Dave, there is a solution: it's called LSD!

Old 02-05-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30
Dave, there is a solution: it's called LSD!

I dynoed in third gear....they tried in second, but it responded eratically.

Hey...how hard is it to get a hold of a Limited Slip Differential for the auto 96 max?

Oh...I just finished the VB mod yesterday....wooohooo
Old 02-27-2001, 04:46 PM

I think ODBI and ODBII has a lot to do...

with the different numbers we are seeing here. A 95/96 should gain more Hp than the others, even with the same mods, because of the different ODB.

Edward