General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cefiro One Piece Headlights Installed on the Maxie..(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

I hate it when people make assumptions and go off on it.
Taiwan = Left Hand Side Driving

I didn't mean to be 'nasty' on my last reply but it's like someone saying that the fenders have to be cut and bodywork is necessary to make the headlights fit when it isn't the case. (without ever having done or seen an install themselves)

The gap by the fender:

Another install on MaximaTina's ride:

Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

what are you talking about? If you know anything about these lights, they are NOT from Japan or Hong Kong.

These lights are OEM from Taiwan Nissan i30. Vehicles in Taiwan drives on the SAME SIDE of the road as North America.

Beam pattern:
THAT's the beam pattern?

Yikes, where's the cutoff? Looks like a lot of upward glare.

Not trying to flame, just stating what I see from the pics. That kind of glare being thrown, especially from a powerful HID bulb can be hazardous to other drivers on the road.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Got Projectors?

For comparison, this beam pattern (a retrofit on an eclipse) is pretty good. No light above the cutoff = no ecessive light in other driver's eyes/mirrors/etc.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by amixam98

Old 07-18-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

THAT's the beam pattern?

Not trying to flame, just stating what I see from the pics. That kind of glare being thrown, especially from a powerful HID bulb can be hazardous to other drivers on the road.
Good that you and a few others have picked that up from the picture:

Right now I'm running 9004 (the HID kit that I had before the headlight conversion). Looks like I will need to convert to H4. Yes, my H4 hid kit has the shield over the bulb (unline 9004 bulbs), to reduce stray light bouncing off the bottom reflectors illuminating above the cutoff line. -AnGe
Old 07-18-2003, 09:28 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Passenger side:

It looks nearly as good as you

Seriously though, it looks exceptional. I really like the things you've done to your car!
Old 07-18-2003, 09:45 AM
UCF Lexus

are they a PERFECT fit?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bijan gxe
are they a PERFECT fit?
No its not but they still look good alittle modifying and it looks good. Alot of people complimented us on the ride back home from Angies shop.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:53 AM

Sweet lights...me want!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Albertt

I don't know about those HID kits, for I wouldn't use them myself, but you'll have no problems using the H4/9003 bulbs on North American roads. The cutoff "up-sweep" is on the right side. Plus, HB2(H4/9003) lamps distribute more light towards the side of the road than the stock HB1(9004) lamps do.
You totally miss the point. There isn't that much of a beam pattern difference between the HID and non HID. It's that the stock reflector and lens, are not setup correctly in terms of beam pattern. And with the increase in lumens, it becomes more obvious.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Sin

what are you talking about? If you know anything about these lights, they are NOT from Japan or Hong Kong.

These lights are OEM from Taiwan Nissan i30. Vehicles in Taiwan drives on the SAME SIDE of the road as North America.

Right now I'm running 9004 (the HID kit that I had before the headlight conversion). Looks like I will need to convert to H4. Yes, my H4 hid kit has the shield over the bulb (unline 9004 bulbs), to reduce stray light bouncing off the bottom reflectors illuminating above the cutoff line. Below is pic of the beam pattern (with 9004 bulbs):
First of all, Nissan doesn't actually make the lights. They hire automotive lighting companies to manufacture them for their use. These manufactured lights are used by Nissan, in their Cefiro. The Cefiro is ALL of Asia as well as other parts of the world as any Maximaphile would know. The large majority of Cefiros are in countries with right hand drive. Hong Kong, Malaysia, Phillipines, Japan, Thailand even Australia, New Zealand, etc. So with 90% of the lights made for cars with right hand drive. I'm willing to bet these lights are manufactured by lighting companies, to be used for right hand drive by Nissan. If by some odd occurence, you actually purchased Cefiro lights for a left hand drive car, I'll eat these words, but my concerns are still valid.

But you know what? I know I'm right. How? Look at those pics of the beam pattern. You shot yourself in the foot with that great move. I don't even have to argue with you over this. Just look at the craptastic beam pattern. Compare it to my Hella driving lights, or my Volvo's stock 9006 housings, or the Eclipse's posted by another orger. Those are proper beam patterns with defined cutoffs, spread to the right and shards upwards at key angles. The beam pattern on these lights is laughable as an aftermarket "upgrade".

Let's be honest here. People aren't going to be purchasing these with concerns over lighting benefits. This is a purely cosmetic upgrade. And sadly, they have just as poor, if not more so, beam pattern. So why do you even try to argue? It's not like anyone believes you. You're marketing a cosmetic item that obviously has no working benefits. And similar to other aftermarket upgrades, this one too is illegal. Why is it illegal? Because you can tell by the beam pattern that it is configured for right hand drive.

To all the other orgers. Just look at the pics of the beam pattern. Nuff said.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Sin

I hate it when people make assumptions and go off on it.
Taiwan = Left Hand Side Driving

I didn't mean to be 'nasty' on my last reply but it's like someone saying that the fenders have to be cut and bodywork is necessary to make the headlights fit when it isn't the case. (without ever having done or seen an install themselves)

The gap by the fender:

Another install on MaximaTina's ride:

I made no mention of the install. The install looks relatively easy. I mean, if you can't handle this install, you're pretty limited on the scale of what you can do.

Again, I think it definetly looks good. I'm just saying the beam pattern is all wrong.

By the way, my Formula SAE buddies are still laughing at your pics and posts by the way.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Sin

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

THAT's the beam pattern?

Hey Ange, here's another person that is knowledgeable enough, and not so show oriented that they don't even consider that a lighting fixture for a car that is primarily manufactured as a right hand drive car would produce a horrible poor beam pattern for left hand drive roads.

Look at your fabulous pic, and MetaOrbit's.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Sin

Good that you and a few others have picked that up from the picture:

Right now I'm running 9004 (the HID kit that I had before the headlight conversion). Looks like I will need to convert to H4. Yes, my H4 hid kit has the shield over the bulb (unline 9004 bulbs), to reduce stray light bouncing off the bottom reflectors illuminating above the cutoff line. -AnGe
With these aftermarket HID kits, they essentially either use a D2R or a D2S bulb. The D2R has the reflector for non-projection housings, the D2S has no reflector for the projector housings with the optical reflector at the focal point. All you are doing is basically changing the mounting plate.

If you really wanted to make the best of the wrong, and similar to stock, poor, beam pattern, I would suggest taking some measurements of the stock bulb, or viewing schematics with scale and dimension so that you can get a D2R bulb with the right dimensions and "hot spot" with the reflector in the right position so that you can minimize the craptacular straying shards, all straying to where they would be atleast kinda useful in a right hand drive car.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

The H4 halogen bulb (low beam) and the HID H4 kits have metal shields on them... The pattern should be fine assuming the headlight lenses are designed properly. We'll assume they are since the meet (at least) NISSAN of Taiwan OEM standards.

Even an D2R HID will cause stray light in an H4 lens (on low beam) unless the lower half is completely shielded. It's designed that way because the high beam filament is not shielded (and also in a different position).

I'll post pics of my HI/LOW H4 HID when I get it installed.

Originally posted by Sin

With these aftermarket HID kits, they essentially either use a D2R or a D2S bulb. The D2R has the reflector for non-projection housings, the D2S has no reflector for the projector housings with the optical reflector at the focal point. All you are doing is basically changing the mounting plate.

If you really wanted to make the best of the wrong, and similar to stock, poor, beam pattern, I would suggest taking some measurements of the stock bulb, or viewing schematics with scale and dimension so that you can get a D2R bulb with the right dimensions and "hot spot" with the reflector in the right position so that you can minimize the craptacular straying shards, all straying to where they would be atleast kinda useful in a right hand drive car.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Chunger
The H4 halogen bulb (low beam) and the HID H4 kits have metal shields on them... The pattern should be fine assuming the headlight lenses are designed properly. We'll assume they are since the meet (at least) NISSAN of Taiwan OEM standards.

Even an D2R HID will cause stray light in an H4 lens (on low beam) unless the lower half is completely shielded. It's designed that way because the high beam filament is not shielded (and also in a different position).

I'll post pics of my HI/LOW H4 HID when I get it installed.

Exactly. So it'll never be possible to get proper performance from any HID kit on the stock housing. If you want to get a proper beam pattern, the best way possible still, is to graft in a projector. Which has been done already, and is honestly not all that difficult. Yes, it's a little on the expensive side, but I remember Dennis (costcowholesale, Can moderator) saying that it was about $500 US for two MB ML series projectors with HIDs, with high low. So that's only about $100 US more than a standard HID kit. Considering you can spend $400 US and get crappy beam pattern HID, and $500 US and get proper projector HID's, I can't see how anyone could think they were getting a good deal on the HID kits alone. That means you're only paying about $50 for each MB projector
Old 07-18-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Sin

Exactly. So it'll never be possible to get proper performance from any HID kit on the stock housing. If you want to get a proper beam pattern, the best way possible still, is to graft in a projector. Which has been done already, and is honestly not all that difficult. Yes, it's a little on the expensive side, but I remember Dennis (costcowholesale, Can moderator) saying that it was about $500 US for two MB ML series projectors with HIDs, with high low. So that's only about $100 US more than a standard HID kit. Considering you can spend $400 US and get crappy beam pattern HID, and $500 US and get proper projector HID's, I can't see how anyone could think they were getting a good deal on the HID kits alone. That means you're only paying about $50 for each MB projector
dude just shut up , see them yourself and then talk crap
Old 07-18-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Sin

I really don't know what to say to you at this point. If anyone want to get hi/lo HID kit from factory Honda or wherever else, it's their choice. I've said that on the first groupdeal and I've stated the same on the 2nd deal. Just like how Chung opted to get the hi/lo HID kit off OE Honda Element.

I am supplying the Taiwan made Nissan OE headlamp, which is without a doubt better housing than headlamps that the North American made 95-99 Maximas are supplied with. For anyone who disputes that, I would ask if they've ever seen the headlamps in person.

I used 9004 bulbs because I can. I just wanted to try it for compatibility reasons and sure enough, it worked. Obviously the output is horrific compared to H4.

Please don't fool yourself because both you and I know that projectors aren't always better. Just look at the civic projectors on the road. If you want real deal projectors, buy a Bimmer.

Don't hate. Appreciate.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't hate. Appreciate.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 PM

Hey Ange, keep up the good work. Those of us that actually understand what you are doing and saying appreciate your work and consideration to post those pictures. I haven't had the honor to purchase from you, but hope to soon. I'll buy from you before I buy from that other better know maxima parts company (*cough*CustomEnterprises.com aka CustomMaxima.com*cough*)....
Old 07-18-2003, 09:01 PM

*chime in*
Ok, since I have had the Cefiro's in my car for over a year...

The light dispersement of the Cefiro housings are much better than stock housings. With proper alignment of the headlight, you can pretty much create an even spread of light across the highway. Someone was going on about the incompatability of these lights and street signs... Dude, my flashlight was mad in Taiwan and it illuminates reflective tape just fine... ok sorry for the flame. When the lights are properly aligned and that beam of light that goes up at a 30-45 degree angle to the RIGHT seems to light up street signs. Now I don't know a whole lot about HIDs and their bulbs, but I don't really think that a light omitted from one housing with a shield is going to be drastically different from another one designed for the same car. I do believe that this could definitely be a lighting performance project.

Someone also asked about the minor gap on the lower sides of the housings, this is so on all the NA i30's this is just one of the slight differences between the asian and us markets, a lot like the cefiro tail lights.

Nice car Ange, let me know about the PM's.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:19 PM

somone needs to do a writeup on what exactly needs to be done inorder to get these into a 4th gen.... Ill bet anything if there was such a thing these would fly off the shelves. So many people claim its an easy mod, but without knowing what needs to be done people are thinking twice about buying these... am i right or wrong here?

my .02!

Ant

BTW: im considering a set once i do my front end convertion
Old 07-18-2003, 09:48 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

(and I say that in the most loving manner I can muster)
Old 07-18-2003, 10:06 PM

Whom ever can provide the how to on this, please let me know.

Sin, your gonna have to appreciate that there is something avaliable that you can even put on your maxima/I30. If there werent people like ange this site wouldnt even exist, along with the maxima aftermarket. This type of car isnt one that most people would find interesting to modify, but with the right cooperation and the right amount of funds, anything can happen. Ya dig?
Old 07-19-2003, 06:09 AM

all you fools make me mad........angie is trying diff things to keep the 4th gen alive...(remember, they stop making the 4th gen like years ago so no new things will ever be made).....for that she has bigger ***** than all you foolish people combined.
3 thumbs up for angie//// where's my 3rd thumb?
Old 07-19-2003, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
all you fools make me mad........angie is trying diff things to keep the 4th gen alive...(remember, they stop making the 4th gen like years ago so no new things will ever be made).....for that she has bigger ***** than all you foolish people combined.
*****?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:06 AM

*****?
I didn't know ... Ange.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

OK, looks like I wasn't too clear maybe this will help (BTW, I'm not trying to be an A$$ about this):

The kit I have is like this one, on low beam, the bottom half is completely shielded. On the high beam the "Light Source" is moved back and also part of the lower shield is open so high beams can go. On the "low beam" only HID kits, it just looks like the "low beam" portion of the animated GIF.

The kit I bought was not from an Honda Element but we put the exact kit on a Honda Element and it looks fine. Just to clarify.

Originally posted by Sin

Old 07-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Sin

But you know what? I know I'm right. How? Look at those pics of the beam pattern. You shot yourself in the foot with that great move. I don't even have to argue with you over this. Just look at the craptastic beam pattern. Compare it to my Hella driving lights, or my Volvo's stock 9006 housings, or the Eclipse's posted by another orger. Those are proper beam patterns with defined cutoffs, spread to the right and shards upwards at key angles. The beam pattern on these lights is laughable as an aftermarket "upgrade".

To all the other orgers. Just look at the pics of the beam pattern. Nuff said.
I have Cefiro lights with no HIDs. I will take a few pics of the beam pattern tonight with my Canon digicam. Prepare to be 0wN3d
Old 07-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Kashoggio
dude just shut up , see them yourself and then talk crap
See what? The pictures of the craptastic beam pattern?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Sin

I really don't know what to say to you at this point. If anyone want to get hi/lo HID kit from factory Honda or wherever else, it's their choice. I've said that on the first groupdeal and I've stated the same on the 2nd deal. Just like how Chung opted to get the hi/lo HID kit off OE Honda Element.

I am supplying the Taiwan made Nissan OE headlamp, which is without a doubt better housing than headlamps that the North American made 95-99 Maximas are supplied with. For anyone who disputes that, I would ask if they've ever seen the headlamps in person.

I used 9004 bulbs because I can. I just wanted to try it for compatibility reasons and sure enough, it worked. Obviously the output is horrific compared to H4.

Please don't fool yourself because both you and I know that projectors aren't always better. Just look at the civic projectors on the road. If you want real deal projectors, buy a Bimmer.

Don't hate. Appreciate.
I'm the first one to admit, a projector isn't the always best. But, grafting in another headlight housing that is non-projector is a heck of a lot harder than grafting in a well known, proper beam patterned MB projector.

Again, not so much hating, as I've admitted I like the look of these things. Just making it clear that this is a cosmetic upgrade that will make the car look nicer, but will worsen the beam pattern.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Gotrice4
Hey Ange, keep up the good work. Those of us that actually understand what you are doing and saying appreciate your work and consideration to post those pictures. I haven't had the honor to purchase from you, but hope to soon. I'll buy from you before I buy from that other better know maxima parts company (*cough*CustomEnterprises.com aka CustomMaxima.com*cough*)....
Ange, honestly, I give you total props for all the mods you have helped to bring to life. However, this is definetly one mod that is all show, and no go. It's all about looks on this one, and all about worsening performance, in this case, the lighting performance.

For all you orgers that are just chiming in for your thread whoring, and obviously don't have enough techinical knowledge to realize that the beam pattern on these is all wrong, keep mouthing off I beg of you. I enjoy it. You don't know how many of your posts I've linked to friends in the Formula SAE field that can't get enough of your antics.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Sin

Originally posted by SLC I30t
*chime in*

The light dispersement of the Cefiro housings are much better than stock housings. With proper alignment of the headlight, you can pretty much create an even spread of light across the highway. Someone was going on about the incompatability of these lights and street signs... Dude, my flashlight was mad in Taiwan and it illuminates reflective tape just fine... ok sorry for the flame. When the lights are properly aligned and that beam of light that goes up at a 30-45 degree angle to the RIGHT seems to light up street signs. Now I don't know a whole lot about HIDs and their bulbs, but I don't really think that a light omitted from one housing with a shield is going to be drastically different from another one designed for the same car. I do believe that this could definitely be a lighting performance project.

Someone also asked about the minor gap on the lower sides of the housings, this is so on all the NA i30's this is just one of the slight differences between the asian and us markets, a lot like the cefiro tail lights.

I have no doubt that they light up the road directly in front of you very well. But lighting going to key areas such as towards the next lane or so to the right about half way down the reach of the beam pattern, the street sign lighting, the keeping of glare towards oncoming traffic, etc, is all wrong.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Sin

Originally posted by SLC I30t
*chime in*

You're flashlight? That was hilarious. I'm not claiming these lights won't produce light or something moron. You can't light up that reflective tape if your flashlight isn't pointed in the right direction though.

These lights simply don't put light where logic and the local transportation ministries intend for their to be light, and light going where the local transportation ministries would never allow. You will not light up the shoulder well enough, you will not light up highway signs properly, at the distance to them that was intended, you will glare towards oncoming traffic.

You obviously don't know too much about HIDs. If you don't think there is a difference between D2R and D2S bulbs, why would it be so critical in reflector and lens design? All legal HID setups require one or the other. So what does that tell you?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Sin

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Whom ever can provide the how to on this, please let me know.

Sin, your gonna have to appreciate that there is something avaliable that you can even put on your maxima/I30. If there werent people like ange this site wouldnt even exist, along with the maxima aftermarket. This type of car isnt one that most people would find interesting to modify, but with the right cooperation and the right amount of funds, anything can happen. Ya dig?
God no would I ever put something on my car that would make the stock lighting even worse. I have nothing against Ange for producing the products she does. I have something against her for either a) lying to the org community if she is knowledgeable enough in lighting, or b) not being knowledgeable enough to market a product that she knows will be used on the street that will make driving on the street more dangerous, for the driver, and for traffic around them by screwing around with poor lighting.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Sin

Originally posted by 1HOTMAX
Again, props to Ange. But I cannot support someone for a product that I know full well will worsen the driving experience by using their product. I support her for the products that she has helped bring to life that are worth buying.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Sin

*****?
Just something that tends to slip when you're "with the guys" I guess. I know plenty of girls that have to put up with being "one of the guys". I feel for you. But I'm sure you like it knowing you have a vast pool of guys to mack when you want to. Like most things, a trade off.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Sin

Ange, honestly, I give you total props for all the mods you have helped to bring to life. However, this is definetly one mod that is all show, and no go. It's all about looks on this one, and all about worsening performance, in this case, the lighting performance.

For all you orgers that are just chiming in for your thread whoring, and obviously don't have enough techinical knowledge to realize that the beam pattern on these is all wrong, keep mouthing off I beg of you. I enjoy it. You don't know how many of your posts I've linked to friends in the Formula SAE field that can't get enough of your antics.
I really think you should settle down with your posts. Considering that you haven't seen them in person and this is obviously your 1st exposure to them.

The Cefiro housings emit an ECE-type beam pattern with a <15 degree flare TO THE RIGHT. There is a sharp cutoff. It is not as sharp as the light pattern emitted by a lowbeam projector lamp since a shield is used to define the pattern whereas free-form lights like the Cefiro housings rely solely on the reflector. At any rate, you can see a sharp horizontal line with a <15 degree incline to the RIGHT. I know because I own a pair. I understand that the only pics you are basing your pretentious posts are lamps retrofitted with mismatched HID units, but you are getting way ahead of yourself since you never seen "stock" Cefiro headlight beam patterns before.

I will take pics of the Cefiro pattern against the wall (the ones that will 0wN you), how far they shine down a dark residential road, and throw in some pics of 3000GT 9006-based low-beam projectors lit against the wall for beam pattern comparison(this was suppose to be my project since I like the z-beam pattern offered by projector lamps, but terminated the project because the Cefiro lamps are quite excellent).

Again, settle down because you will be 0wN3d.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:16 PM

As promised, here are the pics. Warning: they are quite huge.

Here's a pic of the light shining at a wall : Pic 1

Pic of the left lamp only (I blocked the rightside by standing infront of it) : Left. Right lamp.
Pic of the light output on the road
Pic of the light output in an alleyway

Pic of the light pattern on a wall about 100 ft away

Sorry for the grainy pics; I left my cam setting in auto forgetting that the nighttime setting was a flick of a thumbwheel away . However the pics demonstrate the clarity of the beam pattern, light output (H4 > 9004), and suitability for North American roads
Old 07-20-2003, 01:49 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Looks like you're about to hit 100,000 miles!

Thanks for the pics.

Quick Reply: Cefiro One Piece Headlights Installed on the Maxie..(pics)