General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cefiro One Piece Headlights Installed on the Maxie..(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Sin

"By your "logic" of seeing a defined line in the light pattern of the cefiro lamps as poor for overhead signs (easily inferred), are projector headlamps also CRAP when it comes to overhead signs due to the shielding of the light in the assembly? If so, please explain why projector lamps can be certified for N.A. roads."

Have you noticed how if you walk towards a projector setup that as you get closer, the main beam area gets dim because of the cutoff, then as you get rather close, there are shards coming up? There's your answer.

"In the above pic, I selected this location to illustrate the effectiveness of these lamps in pitch black conditions. For anyone who fears not being able to see overhead signs, take a look at that building-especially to the left. The top of the building I pointed my headlamps is illuminated. For any signs located on the center divider/median I never have any problems illuminating them, even if I am driving on the "slow" (outside) lane. It doesn't take much for roadway signs to reflect light."

Again, look at your own pick, look at the distance to wall, and shape of beam. It won't illuminate the overhead signs as well.

"Also, don't start with your its not "SAE/DOT" legal/certified crap. DOT/SAE is the most antiquated standard in the WORLD. People in N.A. have been retrofitting ECE "E-code" lamps unto their cars for their superior light performance for years. Companies have been Harmonizing ECE lamps for US roads for a few years already. Only until recently has the US NHSTA begun "studying" the idea of amending 50 year old standards due to the glare caused by lights designed for US/Canada/Mexico roads. What does that tell you? (Hint: We are behind). There are always tradeoffs and if you have to sacrifice a bit of overhead lighting for vastly superior frontal illumination I'm sure people will choose more light in the front and give up some light at the top."

I totally agree with you. Our standards in terms of SAE/DOT, are horrendous. I switched my Volvo 850's headlamp lenses from the stock North American DOT certified, to the E-Code/SAE. I wish that all cars ran the e-code/sae beam pattern (making allowances for RHD and LHD areas) and that we adopted their signage as well. But the fact is, our laws are our laws, and this would be an illegal mod. I honestly wish that these laws would change.

"Also go back and ask your "Forumula SAE friends" to confirm that both ECE and US (which Mexico and Canada adopts) have the same intensity minimum above the horizontal axis. This means that the ECE lamps *can* (I used "can" for several reasons) sufficiently light overhead signs. There are slight differences in intensity requirements with respect to specific zones that disqualify an "unmodified" ECE headlamp for certification in the US."

Again, I agree with you on this point.

"People, common sense is seriously lacking these days. Its great that Sin has reservations about the lamp due to the "legality" of these lamps, but as always take online info with a grain of salt, especially with those with absolutely no experience with the subject at hand. Use your judgement. If the US/DOT standards are so wonderful, how come you dont find any countries with cars using 9004 and 9007 -based headlights like the North American cars?"

Our standards are horrible. But until they change, the laws are what they are.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Sin

Originally posted by ThomasTheTrain

LOL, Sin talks alot of crap bout functionality mods, then says this. LOL Sin, ya keep getting owned!!
Please! Like you could ever keep up with me on what what you've done to your car to improve function versus me.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:57 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

A whole day of grinding... the wiring is still "untidy" but here is a movie file of the 1 piece Cefiros with SiJ HiLo H4 HIDs.

(***EDIT about 170-260k file sizes, no audio***)... be patient, the server is slow:

AVI. are DiVX 5.0.5 encoded.

SiJ H4 6000K HiLo kit on Cefiro 1 piece
startup (not entirely cold)
walk around - no corners yet

Granted the Cut Off is not as good as a Projector light, it is much better than the 9004.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Chunger

Granted the Cut Off is not as good as a Projector light, it is much better than the 9004.
cut off doesnt look bad actually!

you saw mine right? ahahaha

nice license plate too ehehe

gimme a call sometime about the Cefiros and the subframes!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Former Sponsor

oh and response to this whole cefiro beam pattern crap

I personally like my HID 9004 light splayed in all directions blinding everyone remotly close to me... but hey i can spot street signs from half a mile away!!

problem is... is I dont think other motorists share my excitement

the Cefiro lights are a really big must for those of you running HIDs, the 97-99 pattern isnt as horrible as the 95-96 but... its pretty lame

if I didnt drive a 240 before... i would have never known what a 'beam cutoff' was...

DOT compliant.. AHAHAHAAHAHAH man... our country's roads and laws are pretty off the wall

but there is a point... our roads and signs are lit so horribly that we need blinding crap beam pattern 9004s just to spot signs that in every other developed country are lit with lights... and electricity...
Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2 Piece Cefiro Headlight Is Available...

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
...would maybe look into the current generation Odyssey headlamps as donor lamps if a project like this interests you. I couldn't get a hold of one but they were of interest to me because from what I've seen on the road, the Odyssey lights seem to have the most powerful output of the lamps I looked that are similar in size to the Max's (Galants, Mirages, etc).
Geo Trackers and Toyota Rav4s also use HB2 headlamps that might be good reflector donors.

Where did you pick up those Corolla lamps? I purchased one from a junkyard and had to pay $28 for just that one.

Thanks
AL
Old 06-21-2004, 08:29 AM

looks hella nice, i want to order some.
wow, how old is this thread? i found this on yahoo.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:59 AM

holy digging batman... this thread is dug up from almost a year ago.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:36 AM

those are pretty sweet
Old 06-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Offset Is Everything.

dang peter talk about grave digging ahahah.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:41 PM

haha, i always go 6 feet under.
hey rich, why didn't you call me today? we balled till 10:15 tonight from 8.
you didn't get my message?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 AM

Those lights are crazy.....