General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Does this actually work??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:45 PM

Does this actually work??

I was thinking about buying these anti-laser / anti-photo radar license plate covers which shield you from being shot by laser or from a camera taking your picture. I read a testimonial on the Valentine 1 site (because I just got one) and some guy said this is also good to have. Does anyone know if these actually work and are worth the money? http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/anlasphotrad.html
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not bad but states that require a front licence plate do not allow these covers. Plus I live in GA where they dont require it and a month ago nailed with laser from the front. They can still use your headlights to reflect the laser.

This will work with photo radar since it blocks the view of the photo camera. But the problem is it does this during the day, such as if you in the next lane and you try to see the plate it blocks the view, bad part is if a cop is in the next lane, he/she sees this, you are getting a ticket for having that cover.

Dixit
Old 07-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

They are illegal in NY. I had similar plate covers on my old car and i would constantly get tickets. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:54 PM

It's funny becuase I live in NY and GA (home and school). So I'm guessing that it's not a good idea to have the Anti-Photo covers because a cop can notice them. But is it still illegal to have only the anti-laser covers? Because you can't visibly notice them...so could it hurt to have them? Dipes, did you constantly get tickets because you had the anti-photo and the cops noticed it, or did you get tickets because they shot you with laser and didn't get a reading so they just pulled you over anyway? Thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 04:51 PM

They shot me with a laser, and nothing registered. And most of the other times a cop would notice them when my car was in a parking lot or gas station.

My favorite one was getting a ticket for one when i was in court for a speeding ticket that was caused by the plate cover.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:16 PM

I didn't know anyone could notice them in a parking lot or gas station - I thought they were just clear and pretty much invisible? So if you have them on, it's pretty obvious then?

Also, what do you mean by "a speeding ticket that was caused by the plate cover?" Basically, if they shoot you with a laser and nothing registers, do they definitely pull you over anyway? I kinda just assumed that if they took a shot and it didn't register, they'd just think that they missed or they'd just think it didn't register and they'd ignore it (unless you're visibly blazing down the road of course). How do these plate covers actually CAUSE a speeding ticket?

I also have a valentine one radar detector, so if I got hit the first time with a laser but had the laser cover, my speed wouldn't register on the cop's laser gun, but the valentine one would alert me of the laser, and i'd slow down so if the cop shot me again, i'd be going normal speed....does that work, or do they just automatically pull you over if they see that you're blocking their laser? Thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 08:30 PM

At the time I was visibly speeding.

As for the ticket in the parking lot, you are able to see the cover, because of the way light hits it.

It’s really just a question on whether or not you want to spend the money, and take the chance with it.

You never know, some cops might not care now, but NYC passed a law that makes it illegal to even have a license plate frame on your car.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:01 PM

NYC passed a law that makes it illegal to even have a license plate frame on your car.

WHAT?? Is it just NYC, or all of NY? Cuz i'm in long island and I have chrome plate holders and no one's ever said anything. U sure it's illegal to have them?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:53 AM

photo ticket at light is like 300 bucks in LA. ticket for "no-front-plate displayed" is 25 bucks. photo ticket systems use front plates. in cali it is illegal to drive w/out front plate. and it is illegal to speed. and it is illegal to go through red light. and anti-photo frame things are illegal. so simplify, my man:

anyway. you get the point >>> remove the front plate. i drive without it. i have been pulled over for speeding and the cop never checks for front plate. so who cares about the stupid thing. it is only there for revenue collection. take it off. your car is lost among the other cars with the front plates. so it is not a first-check item. loud muffler is more attention-getting than missing front plate. tinted widows and ghetto rims are more attention-getting than no front plate. bad brake light is more attention-getting than no front plate. cop does not follow you from the front.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by MAC12383
NYC passed a law that makes it illegal to even have a license plate frame on your car.

WHAT?? Is it just NYC, or all of NY? Cuz i'm in long island and I have chrome plate holders and no one's ever said anything. U sure it's illegal to have them?
Its only in NYC and the borrows. NYC is giving out the most insane tickets now a days, so there are laws that have always existed that no one ever knew about, and they are coming up with new laws that haven't passed yet.

For instance they want to pass a law that makes it illegal to have a car alarm. And if it gets activated, and a cop is around you'll get a $100+ fine. Only in NY!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:37 AM

Dipes2000SE,

NYC crackdown >>> prolly it is because of 911 and the need for evermore revenue. but car alarm is basically useless anyway. who ever gives a **** about hearing those? i would be glad if the theif took the car to get the noise away from my hearing distance. i'd like to see stats on car alarms and their effectiveness. to me, they are one of the most annoying and useless snake-oil/hair-tonic products of the later part of the last century. only thing that makes sense is lo-jac. or take the dam@ coil wire off the car and put it in your pocket!! the car ain't goin nowhere witout dat! and/or take the ignition fuse out of the box B4 you leave the car. car ain't goin nowhere witout dat. remove the steering wheel. - all more effective than car alarm.

i'd hate to be in NYC, though. any excuse for a ticket is a ticket. anti-car city.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by bonzelite

i would be glad if the theif took the car to get the noise away from my hearing distance.

I feel the same way, but you are right. All the city is looking to do is generate more revenue. And the downfall is everything is getting pinned on Bloomberg.(I really don't care much for him)
Old 07-20-2003, 12:17 PM

yes. big cities, especially, are always "broke." yet there is always tons of cash left over at the end of their fiscal years for them to blow on all kinds of crap, like perpetual highway maintenance in areas that you could swear are fine. as the old tired story goes, if they have funds left over, then they will not get funded the next fiscal year, yet they have funds in reserve always - no matter how broke the headlines in the papers say the city is. the problem is that because the city is run by a huge compartmentalized, tortise-like, beaurocracy, lots of potential financial help to really problematic areas is not given because the cash is appropriated/tied up in "untouchable" departments unrelated to other areas.

for example, if there is 500 thousand left over in the highway department by fiscal years' end, then the teachers will not get raises out of that money because that money is "only" for the DOT. a beaurocracy is not able to think outside of it's compartmentalized departments. there could be an extra 2mil lying around from the parks and recreation department that is then wasted on buying a surplus of trash can liners for the next 36 years just because they "had to" spend the money. so, instead of giving raises to the cops out of left over appropriated funds from other government agencies, they enact this fascist policy of ticketing the city to death: because it is easy money and it does not need to be channeled through state legislature procedure (which is glacial and impossible), the cash is immediately liquid.

and we have not even begun to talk about where the money *really* goes and who touches it.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:21 PM

Dipes,
When you get tickets for having that anti-laser cover...is it just a fine, or do they add points on your license? I can't afford anymore points.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:24 PM

Also, if i'm driving at a regular speed and a cop shoots me with laser just becuase he's checking everyone, and hten he doesn't get a reading from me, will he pull me over becuase he didn't get a reading and he assumes i have that cover, or will he only pull me over if he thinks i was visibly speeding?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by MAC12383
Dipes,
When you get tickets for having that anti-laser cover...is it just a fine, or do they add points on your license? I can't afford anymore points.
Its just a fine. I think i paid $50 or $75 for it.

will he pull me over becuase he didn't get a reading and he assumes i have that cover, or will he only pull me over if he thinks i was visibly speeding?
I'm really not sure. I guess it depends on the cop. Some might pull you over because they didn't get a reading and would like to find out why. And other cops might not even care.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:10 PM

if the cop's electronics cannot record your speed, for any reason, he cannot prove anything. he could assume anything but prove nothing - waste of his time. btw, it is not illegal to jam laser. the fcc does not prohibit that. as it is a wavelength of visible light - out of the jurisdiction of law. radar jamming is way illegal, as technically, that falls into the radio spectrum. it would be illegal, say, to jam any broadcast from a radio or television station.

therefore, he could assume you are jamming his laser and there is not one dam@# thing he can do about that. especially if you are within the speed limit anyway. and if you are speeding but jam him, he can not get you either. unless he is following you and speeding with you. or he uses those speed trap markers painted on the highway. if he merely thinks you are 'visibly speeding' then he is caseless. but he can then pull you over anyway for "probable cause" and begin asking uncomfortable questions. but he cannot get you for speeding. he can harass you for your muffler or your taillights or just anything. like 'where are you going?" "where did you come from?"

as for me, i speed anyway. blatantly. and i slow down when the detector goes off. simple. my car is made to go over 100 mph. so i will take it there when it is appropriate. the trick is to blend into traffic and let others get the ticket for you.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:16 PM

I think i'm gonna get the anti-laser covers then. But should I get 2, one for each plate, or should I only get one for the front? Does anyone ever get shot by laser from behind?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:30 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by bonzelite
[B]if the cop's electronics cannot record your speed, for any reason, he cannot prove anything. ... unless he is following you and speeding with you. or he uses those speed trap markers painted on the highway. if he merely thinks you are 'visibly speeding' then he is caseless.
no, he can visually estimate your speed, and that can hold up in court. Take your chances.
my car is made to go over 100 mph. so i will take it there when it is appropriate.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
no, he can visually estimate your speed, and that can hold up in court. Take your chances.
are you sure about that? that seems like you could highly dispute that in court. it would probably depend on the specific incident.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:11 PM

Hello? Does anyone know if they shoot laser at your car's rear, or only in the front? Should i get only a front license plate cover, or should i get two, one for the front and one for the back plate? thanks