General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone owned a 3rd gen Max AND a 4th gen at some point?--->

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 07:38 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I am in a dumb position here... I have a 93 SE auto Maxie with just under 99k miles.... I had to have the tranny rebuilt over 10k miles ago, I also put some $ into other repairs but I now don't know if I should keep this car or possibly get a 95 or 96 4th gen Max.

The 3rd gen looks pretty good from the outside, its somewhat tight inside and not that comfortable to me, handles well... I find the 4th gen more roomy, better looking interior, more roomy interior, better layed out dash.. I think any 95 Max lowered, a front spoiler with nice 17's and a stock wing looks much better then I can make my 3rd gen into, if I put the same things on it. the 3rd gen seems too "boxy" for me and I think its getting kind of old. I want more comfort because I drive a lot, plus my 3rd gen has some problems, which I don't think are too expensive to fix but I'm not sure if I want to bother with it because I might want a different car.

From those of you who used to own a 3rd gen and now own a 4th gen, or own both right now.... What do you think, should and could I find a decent shape 95 GXE for lets say around 7-8k and sell my 93 SE with cloth, sunroof, heated mirrors and seats... basically fairly loaded, everything except ABS and leather... I know the 4th gens feel a lot quicker then my car, I drove them a few times. I'm looking for comfort too... and durability.. 3rd gens are known for tranny probs, even though I had mine rebuilt allready, I still want a 4th gen.
How do the 2 compare in ride quality, handling, comfort, interior, looks... built quility... etc....?

What would you suggest? Keep this car, and fix it, or sell it and find a 4th gen for 7-8 k?

thanks
Old 02-05-2001, 07:46 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

I had a 91 gxe atuo before this

Over 100k, no tranny or other major repairs besides ball joints.

NO REGRETS....
Old 02-05-2001, 07:51 PM

4th gen? Pfft..
Old 02-05-2001, 09:19 PM

I've currently got both

I have a 94 GXE (VG30E) and a 98 GLE (VQ30DE). No springs or rims on either yet, but the 94 handles better out of the box. I love the amenities in my 98 and I love the engine, not that the 94's is bad by any means. I like the 94's looks, but I agree, it is getting a tad bit dated, and I do love the 98's appearance, stock, w/o spoiler. I say if you can get a good deal selling your 3rd gen and buying a 4th, go for it.
Old 02-05-2001, 09:32 PM
OG

I owned an 89 GXE for a long time. The only problems I had was the manifold going bad and the tranny going bad. Other than that, it was a great car. Finally I broke down and bought a 96Max. I love the extra power, the extra room, and the extra power. Did I mention the extra power Go for it my man. You definetly won't regret it.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:50 AM

i dont know about any other gens

this is my second car, my frist car was 84 accord (yes it was pos but very realiable). i love my 3rd gen but if i could, i would sell it so i can a 95 max so i can get the stillen sc option but i do plan to get nos (30 or 40 shot, anything bigger, i think my motor would explode...lol)for my max but it has not major or minor problems. its almost perfect. the motor and tranny works great and its a auto too with over 130 k on it. but if your 3rd gen is too much trouble to fix, go ahead and get a newer gen max, i would.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:35 AM

I have both a 3rd gen and a 4th gen. My 1993 Maxima Se is probably my favorite of the two. Don't get me wrong I love my 98 but my 93 is five speed which kicks ***. If you do get the 4th gen get a five speed, its soo much better IMO. As far as smoothness and looks wise I'll say my 4th gen all the way..
Old 02-06-2001, 08:12 AM
1FasMax

I cuurently have a 92 SE 5 speed, and a 97 SE auto...
I like the seat in the 92 better (cloth) the headrest in the 92 is adjustable forward and backward, whereas the 97 isnt.
the suspension seems more sporty in the 3rd gen vs 4th gen.
power wise, if both were 5 speed the 4th gen has a tad more power, the VQ is a way better motor than the VE, altho the power is close, but the VE has some damn nice pull at high RPM (5 speed)...I would like to see a race between to 5 speeds, one 3rd gen VE and one 4th gen....top speed seems to be higher on the VE motor than the VQ (both 5 speeds) I had a 95 SE 5 speed (top: 140 mph) whereas the 92 SE 5 speed I have now hits almost 145mph stock)
I like the steering feel the the 92 SE...different than the newer one.....the new car seems more luxerious rather than sporty. dash layout way way better in the 4th gen, interior appearence, depends what you like. outside, my 97 SE looks tight compared to the 92, but I like the looks of the 92 cause its the "original" maxima,

I definetely like the ventalation control on the 3rd gen cause I can get cold air out if the vents and warm air from floor and windshield, the 4th gen CANNOT do that.

The View out of the windshield seems a tad better on the 3rd gen.
I like the lighted power window switches on the 4th gen.
I hate the fact that I have NO cup holders on my 3rd gen, nice big ones on my 97 4th gen (95 &6 are smaller, but still at least something)

Basically a quick summary would be the 92 SE is sporty tight feeling original Maxima, vs. the 4th gen sweet looking compfortable semi sporty sedan.

Old 02-06-2001, 08:38 AM

Ever since I turned 18, I had 92 SE auto Silver , had it for over a year, with around 110k miles on it. Had no prob whats so ever. I loved it. Then I sold it, and got my mom's 93 SE dark metallic blue, fully loaded, ABS, sunroof, etc...for some reason it felt little havier, and it felt more of a luxury car then my silver one felt. But it was a damn fast max. Very tight looking. After driving it for about a year, with around 80k miles, I started having all kinds of probs. My major probs were suspension, control arms, civi boots, motor mounts, trans mounts, etc. I spend around 1.5 grand to fix it. Had it for another 6 months or so, I started having probs again. Radiator, suspension again, squeeks, etc...And I decided no more investing money in this POS. Time to get a new car. Once I put on sale, first guy who saw it, bought it on the spot. I guess because I kept this car spotless, with no scrathes, really nice paint job, nice tint, but I felt kinda bad cuz the guy didn't know what he's getting into on the inside. So my advise to you, once you start having all kind of probs, it's time to get rid of your ride and get a new one. I always liked 3rd gen maxima's, but since now I have 4th gen, I love it even more.