General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

STOLEN 2002... SALVAGE... now help me decide (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 06:07 AM

STOLEN 2002... SALVAGE... now help me decide (LONG)

I've posted this on the 5th gen forum but I needed to get more feedback

Hey guys I've been away from the boards for a good cpl months now. But ever since my Maxima got stolen and recovered I've been on 24/7 searching for replacement parts and such... I just got word from the insurance inspector that the vehicle is a total loss being that it would cost more to fix then what the max is worth. And now I must decide to either keep the max and use the money from the insurance claim to mod it up or just let it go and start looking for a replacement car...

Here is a rough draft list of mods that I was planning on doing:

Wheels:
4 Nakayama Vader 18X7.5 5-114.3 45HB
4 Pilot Sport A/S 235/40ZR-18 91Y DIR

Handling Modification:
Willwood Big Brake Kit w/13.1” Rotors (Front)
Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors (Rear)
Hawk Performance Brake Pads
Goodridge SS Brake Lines
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
Stillen Rear Sway Bar
Front Strut Tower Brace
Tokico High Performance Gas Shocks
Teins or Eibach Springs

Audio:
Clarion VRX935VD
Diamond Audio 6.5” HEX Component System S600a (Front)
Diamond Audio M361i (Rear)
800W 4 Channel Amp (100W RMS @ 4 ohms)
2 Rockford Fosgate RFD2210 10" subs
2 SONY XM-2165GTX (400W RMS @ 4 ohms)

Lighting:
2002 Headlight Fixture
8000k KOPS HID
7 Color Angel Eye Fog lights
LED Turn Signal Mirrors
All Hyper Xenon Bulbs

Performance:
Place Racing Cold Air Intake
Warpspeed Y-pipe
Hi-Flow Cat

Misc:
Aluminum Molded Dash Kit
Alarm (TBD)
Leather Seating

Fluids:
Redline Manual Transmission Fluid
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil (10W-40)

The money given for insurance won't cover all these mods. So I would have to pay some $$ out of pocket to include everything.

So should I:
1. Use the money to fix up the max to its former glory and more
2. Get ready to test drive the RX8, Evo VIII, Sti, Z?

Here are some pics for reference btw:

Old 07-30-2003, 06:08 AM

Old 07-30-2003, 06:14 AM
It's chrome alright...

can I have your clear corners?

oh, and if you're asking if you should keep the car and try to salvage it... IMO no. Take the check and see what else you can get.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Administrator

that is a tottal loss? you got to be kidding me..

radio, switches and head lights? tell me there is more damage
Old 07-30-2003, 06:50 AM

rear bumper is crushed. All brakes bent. All wheels gone + full size spare. and some minor exterior damages.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:53 AM
Who?

rx8 is the bomb imo. but that'll cost you even more. may just use the money for mods, at least it would take a giant chunk out.

you owe it to yourself to test drive those other cars tho.

btw how much do they say your max was worth??? i'm in sprint's boat here... totalling this car seems pretty suspect.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Administrator

well if thats all it is.. and you don't mind working with it.. its a great project car... nothing major is really damaged...

you can get switches and door stuff from a junk yard relatively cheap.. couple org guys here like Max4speed, delio and Ramius can help you with getting junk yard parts...

get an aftermarket Radio..

new rims..

get stock bumper from the junk yard.. because all the kit ones suck..

get some big brakes.. or do a brake upgrade... you be back on the road in no time..
Old 07-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Kevlo for President

I don't think it is totaled, i would fix it
Old 07-30-2003, 06:55 AM

theres much more damage than the pictures show. For example in the 3rd pic there is a huge gash in my dashboard near the wires so I would have to replace the whole thing. I also couldn't get around the car to take pics of the rear.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Administrator

all that stuff is cheap from the junk yard
Old 07-30-2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
well if thats all it is.. and you don't mind working with it.. its a great project car... nothing major is really damaged...

you can get switches and door stuff from a junk yard relatively cheap.. couple org guys here like Max4speed, delio and Ramius can help you with getting junk yard parts...

get an aftermarket Radio..

new rims..

get stock bumper from the junk yard.. because all the kit ones suck..

get some big brakes.. or do a brake upgrade... you be back on the road in no time..
That's what I was thinking initially as well but insurance is only giving me 13k for it (which doesnt make sense since the book value on the car is somewhere like 15-16k). And since it is considered Salvage I would have to pay insurance another $3k for them to give it back. So I don't kno what to do. I'm going to speak with insurance today to work everything out and get a final amount.

All this and the car won't have a resale value after everything is done. so its a harder decision than it seems.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

so you can get your car back and have 10,000 to spend on fixing that up. headlights, 1000 bucks if you look. get the radio, get the rims. if you look for deals you can rebuild it for how much you have.
I have get you that wilwood kit for a good price too
Old 07-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by redfly17

That's what I was thinking initially as well but insurance is only giving me 13k for it (which doesnt make sense since the book value on the car is somewhere like 15-16k). And since it is considered Salvage I would have to pay insurance another $3k for them to give it back. So I don't kno what to do. I'm going to speak with insurance today to work everything out and get a final amount.

All this and the car won't have a resale value after everything is done. so its a harder decision than it seems.
As Jeff92SE says.. never take the first offer.. take like the 3rd or 4th offer.. never take their trade in value.. take the dealer market value
Old 07-30-2003, 07:13 AM

thnx for the feedback guys...

I'm back to square 1 now as most ppl from the 5th gen boards think I should get rid of it. And most ppl here think I should keep it.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Administrator

thats because most 5th Genners arn't into modding their cars.. they bought it for commuting.. so in their eyes.. your commuter car is damaged.. so you get rid of it and get a new one..

you have modifers and tuners out here.. we look at broken cars as a reason to replace things..

Suspension blows

Typical 5th Gen Owner: take it to the dealer, or get a new car
General Population: Coilovers

Exhaust blows

General Population: Y pipe and Catback

Engine blows

Typical 5th Gen Owner: take it to the mechanic or dealer, or get a new car
General Population: rebuild the engine

you get the idea
Old 07-30-2003, 07:21 AM

thats because most 5th Genners arn't into modding their cars.. they bought it for commuting.. so in their eyes.. your commuter car is damaged.. so you get rid of it and get a new one..

you have modifers and tuners out here.. we look at broken cars as a reason to replace things..

Suspension blows

General Population: Coilovers

Exhaust blows

General Population: Y pipe and Catback

Engine blows

Typical 5th Gen Owner: take it to the mechanic or dealer, or get a new car
General Population: rebuild the engine

you get the idea
hey hey HEY! im part of the 5th gen crew.. we're into modding check out the MOTM!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Administrator

hey hey HEY! im part of the 5th gen crew.. we're into modding check out the MOTM!
who do you think chooses Maxima of the Month?
Old 07-30-2003, 07:51 AM

Depends if you ever want to sell it or not. If you don't EVER want to sell it and have the time and patience to restore it back to driving condition then I would do that. If you are using the car as principle transportation and need it to drive everyday then I would look at another car. $10,000 might not be what he has to mod with, what about paying off the loan? Personally, I would look at getting another car.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:59 AM

i would work on it and fix it up, shouldn't be that bad but i have a question for you....hows the engine/transmission? ...might want to get that checked out since the f****** probably drove the he11 out of the car when they stole it, just a suggestion
Old 07-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Blu
the tits

Its blue keep it
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by patel_anu
probably drove the he11 out of the car when they stole it, just a suggestion
or they just broke it in
Old 07-30-2003, 08:11 AM

buy a 4th gen and drop 5K into it
Old 07-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Redlinemax Owner

the way i look at it is someone stripped all of the parts off for you that u didn't need(plus a few extras) but if u were going to get a bodykit, well they helped u out. now the insurance company is paying for a new bumper replacement,ie new rear bodykit bumper.

They stole your wheels, now the ins company pays for new ones for you!
The stole that damn bose headunit!!! Needed to get rid of that anyway. Here comes a better aftermarket headunit.
Now i know u wanted a big brake kit. So you would have gotten rid of the chitty ones you had on your car previously!!!

So, fix the car have fun!! the best part of modding a car is doing the work. it may take a month for you to fix it back but when your done you will have the biggest smile on your face because you did it!! oh plus, unfortunately one of the nicest cars in your area was just totaled in an accident(pcguru) i bet hes about to sell ALOT of mods cheap. Take advantage of it!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

What do you still owe on the car? As Sprint as said, their 1st offer is a chump offer to see if you take the bait. I went from $3300 to $8000 on my old arsed 3gen!!!!!!! Don't you think even a few grand more is worth a hour or two. When is the last time you made $1000/per hour??

Let's say they give you $13,000(+ the car back) and you owe $13,000. Well you then have the car free and clear but you have to shell out $ to fix it. If you owe only $10,000, then you might come out well with $3,000 to play with to fix the car and own it outright.

If you owe more than you think you can negotiate for, it might be best to take the $ and run.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What do you still owe on the car? As Sprint as said, their 1st offer is a chump offer to see if you take the bait. I went from $3300 to $8000 on my old arsed 3gen!!!!!!! Don't you think even a few grand more is worth a hour or two. When is the last time you made $1000/per hour??

Let's say they give you $13,000(+ the car back) and you owe $13,000. Well you then have the car free and clear but you have to shell out $ to fix it. If you owe only $10,000, then you might come out well with $3,000 to play with to fix the car and own it outright.

If you owe more than you think you can negotiate for, it might be best to take the $ and run.
I owe around 13,800 on it. How do I negotiate how much insurance would give me? I have no leverage... what am I going to say fine forget it I wont take the 13k if u dont give me at least 17.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.claimcoach.com/index.htm...htm~bottomright (good for ref)
http://www.insurance.wa.gov/oic/contact.asp (might need the one in YOUR state if you get diicked around by your/their insurance company)
http://www.stephencryanpc.com/about.html (read this!)
http://www.consumersautodetective.c...0settlement.htm (also good ref info)

I owe around 13,800 on it. How do I negotiate how much insurance would give me? I have no leverage... what am I going to say fine forget it I wont take the 13k if u dont give me at least 17.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Ramius83

Ummm, if that is totaled, I will buy that from you for $5.00 and I will pick it up lol.

Those parts are maybe a maximum of 200 dollars total, using 2000-2001 headlights instead of the EVER EXPENSIVE 2002+ lights. If you need any help, let me know.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:22 PM

Old 07-30-2003, 04:56 PM

Go to a Nissan dealer website that's near you and print out some prices for Maxima's that are the same year and have almost the same miles as your car. Show it to your insurance company and tell them that $13k isn't even close to having your car replaced for another one. Find one that's like $20k so they'll give you $16k+.

I've read that before on the forums Tell them the whole point of insurance is to help you replace your totaled car with one that's almost the same as your old one and you can't find anything that's the same as your old car with $13k. Also, tell them that they look great in whatever they're wearing
Old 07-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Insurance companies will always try to low ball you on claims. Most of the time, they do a comparison of similarly equipped cars (adjusted for mileage) in your area and take an average to determine how much they will pay you. If they don't do that, do the legwork yourself and make a case. You can always threaten to bring them to court where they would lose if you prove that area Maxima are selling for more. Kelly book values generally are not used.

You really have to sit down with the adjuster and show him why you think your car is worth more. You do NOT have to sign the settlement papers agreeing to their $ assessment.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Insurance companies will always try to low ball you on claims. Most of the time, they do a comparison of similarly equipped cars (adjusted for mileage) in your area and take an average to determine how much they will pay you. If they don't do that, do the legwork yourself and make a case. You can always threaten to bring them to court where they would lose if you prove that area Maxima are selling for more. Kelly book values generally are not used.

You really have to sit down with the adjuster and show him why you think your car is worth more. You do NOT have to sign the settlement papers agreeing to their $ assessment.
I totally agree. My girlfriend JUST had her 96 Altima totaled in the rear by someone. Their insurance offered us only $1200.00. With that, I may be able to get a Ford Pinto if I am lucky. We talked to the insurance company, personally showed them pictures and ads for other Altimas in the area. We were able to push them up to $2200.00. With that, we bought her a 95 Altima, same thing basically, and only had to fork out the taxes, tag and title fees on it; minus a $300.00 junkyard transmission........

Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
http://www.claimcoach.com/index.htm...htm~bottomright (good for ref)
http://www.insurance.wa.gov/oic/contact.asp (might need the one in YOUR state if you get diicked around by your/their insurance company)
http://www.stephencryanpc.com/about.html (read this!)
http://www.consumersautodetective.c...0settlement.htm (also good ref info)

GREAT LINKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! thnx for all the advice guys I'm going to dealers tomorrow to check out prices and so I can go into this prepared..
Old 07-31-2003, 08:38 AM
www.autotalk.com

If you dont want to keep it then let me know and I will get it off your hands ;-) Let me know too if you need any help on yard parts. The pieces ur mentioned are cheap from the yard compared to dealer. Let us know how this goes.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:02 PM

They were able to steal the car even if it had the Vehicle Immobilizer System?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

That doesn't seem too bad..

but.. I noticed you have NY plates..

I would probably get rid of it in your shoes considering how hot 2002/2003 maximas are to thieves. Your HIDs will get hit again, and then again and again.. it's not even worth replacing them. Most people just put in 2000 headlights.
And with all the mods you plan on doing, it's going to attract extra attention to it.. I don't want to be sitting on needles thinking about the car every day..
I'd play it safe and save the $ for something else..

Old 08-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Aint't that the truth! Even the airbags are still brand spanking new and intact. Sheesh, insurance companies are getting lazy or soemthing. Keep the car as the other have said. Get the most you can from insuracne and build it back up. That's a great project car.

Maybe you ought to consider downgrading to 2000-2001 non HIDs I've seen HID theft from NYC to Westchester. Always on 2K2s. A bit shocking when you first notice it.

DW

that is a tottal loss? you got to be kidding me..

radio, switches and head lights? tell me there is more damage