General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Quality Aftermarket HID Petition - Please sign if you care to keep HID's available

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 08-02-2003, 02:11 PM

Old 08-02-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Albertt

I'm in no way being elitist. My opinion is that all cars, regardless of price and brand name should have rear foglamps. Of course, there will be people who misuse them, by driving with them on when there is no fog, but that does not mean we shouldn't have them. Should we now ban high beams on cars just because a few dumasses leave their highbeams on all the time?
No, because high-beams serve a legitimate purpose. and when left on, what happens? The oncoming driver flicks his on in response. The only response someone could have for a driver who activates his rear fog lamp is to rear-end him, which is not a good outcome. Just use common sense--a rear fog is brighter than a brake lamp and gives the appearance that the car is braking. That is a nonsensical way to force people to keep a distance, by making them think you are constantly braking. It's another case where DOT is behind the times, but my guess is there's a chance that they will ban the silly status symbols. Though with the current administration they would be definitely here to stay.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:39 PM

1929!
Old 08-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see where you are coming from. Solution? Have the rear fogs wired such that when the brakes are applied, the rear fogs turn off. We already have a system on US cars where the front fogs turn off autmatically when hi beams turn on. Also, another nice feature to add is to have the hazard lights come on when doing hard braking. I saw a French car (Renault? Citreon? dont remember) company incorporating it into their cars. I already do that manually. It really helps sometimes.

DW

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

No, because high-beams serve a legitimate purpose. and when left on, what happens? The oncoming driver flicks his on in response. The only response someone could have for a driver who activates his rear fog lamp is to rear-end him, which is not a good outcome. Just use common sense--a rear fog is brighter than a brake lamp and gives the appearance that the car is braking. That is a nonsensical way to force people to keep a distance, by making them think you are constantly braking. It's another case where DOT is behind the times, but my guess is there's a chance that they will ban the silly status symbols. Though with the current administration they would be definitely here to stay.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:37 PM

i'm number 1992 lol that fitsme right since i had a 1992 maxse
Old 08-03-2003, 08:43 PM

1993 Signatures Total
Old 08-04-2003, 05:01 AM

No, because high-beams serve a legitimate purpose.
I'm sorry, but so do rear foglamps.

...and when left on, what happens? The oncoming driver flicks his on in response. The only response someone could have for a driver who activates his rear fog lamp is to rear-end him, which is not a good outcome.
Or you could deal with it...just like I have to deal with all those morons driving around with aftermarket HID kits blinding me from behind, in front and from the side.

Just use common sense--a rear fog is brighter than a brake lamp and gives the appearance that the car is braking. That is a nonsensical way to force people to keep a distance, by making them think you are constantly braking. It's another case where DOT is behind the times, but my guess is there's a chance that they will ban the silly status symbols. Though with the current administration they would be definitely here to stay.
You really shouldn't be confused as to whether the person is braking. Once you grow accustomed to them, you won't be either. Besides, only the one on the driver's side is lit brighter (or should be - Jaguar and Range Rovers are excluded only because Great Britain doesn't mandate it), AND the third brake light is not lit.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 AM

Old 08-04-2003, 08:23 AM

What do you mean "learn to appreciate?" Let's not be elitist, let's be honest. Fog lamps on most vehicles in the US are decorations (the extreme would be Sunfire, Grand Am, etc.). If I decided to wire my Maxima so that the left tail lamp looked like I was braking, installed higher wattage bulbs, and drove around all the time with the rear left lit up redder than a brake lamp, people would be annoyed. Just because it's an Audi, MB, Jaguar, Rover, doesn't make it ok. Like I said, these silly things are not on BMW's, because they do not put unnecessary things on their USA cars (like a dual exhaust with a V6 and only one cat). I know you're just playing devil's advocate so that's cool.
Frank, being that I had 3 Vovlos and 1 S Class as company cars, I like the feature of having a rear fog light but your argument should be with the people who don't shut them off when in decent whether. I never used mine unless I was drivning in terrible weather.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:28 PM

for Deezo .... as a temporary fix for needing brighter lighting i rewired my fogs .. now they run with highbeam ... for me