General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Helmet Questions....kinda OT..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 10:12 PM

Well...did some literature search...
Shoei..Arai...Simpson...Bell...
which should I get?
SNEL 85 or better specification? How do I check for this?
And where is the best place to get them?
Thank you
Old 02-08-2001, 11:13 PM

I would get the newest snell rating that you can afford, i think it's up to 2000. Other than that just find the one that fits the best, I wouldn't go full face, the plastic shield that goes over the eyes tends to fog up, not the best for racing
Old 02-09-2001, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by Zprime
Well...did some literature search...
Shoei..Arai...Simpson...Bell...
which should I get?
SNEL 85 or better specification? How do I check for this?
And where is the best place to get them?
Thank you
There's an old saying about helmets - "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet."
Any Snell rated helmet will be proud of it and say so in the advertising. They all have a sticker inside. Snell is the best rating - DOT is meaningless. I wouldn't consider older than Snell '95. If you don't want Snell SA (special application for automotive use, fireproof lining, slightly different test) you can go to a motorcycle shop. In fact, you can go there and find what fits and then order from RacerWholesale (best prices on Bell & Simpson). You will find that Bell and Arai fit one shape of head and Shoei and Simpson fit another.

Dave
Old 02-09-2001, 03:48 AM

BTW - you should absolutely get a full face helmet - much stronger and protects your jaw, just take off the sheild.

Dave
Old 02-09-2001, 05:06 AM

As long as it's Snell or ANSI certified...it's good enough. nm

nm
Old 02-09-2001, 05:09 AM

SA85 and M85s will not be allowed after 2001, so purchase a 90 or 95 rating. the 2000 helmets are not yet released.

there's a sticker on the outside or inside of the helmet showing the safety rating.
Old 02-09-2001, 09:15 AM

Sounds like you guys have the safety side of it covered. As far as appearance goes, I have owned 2 new Bell helmets, manufactured about 10 years apart. On both of these helmets, the factory paint was terrible. You could practically scrape the paint off with your fingernail. It's really maddening to spend ~$200 for a new helmet and have it look like $hitt in 3 months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bell is a strong helmet. It fits well and the interior is well-built. They just don't know how to paint.