General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hi to all maxima drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 06:41 PM

Hi to all maxima drivers!

Found your forum yesterday. And since I have 2 maximas, I wanted to join in on the fun. Great place you got here .

Cars that I drive.
1998 Maxima GXE, 5 sp, base model.
2000 Maxima GXE, auto, CD player, ABS, auto driver seat .... .

I thought about upgrading 1998 maxima, but I like how it drives, so not going to. And my 2000 Maxima is an automatic, more of a luxury model will not upgrade it either.

Anyway its nice to be here
Old 08-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome to the site. I have a 1997 SE Auto and although you like the way it drives, if you could afford it; H&R's (paired with good struts like Illuminas or AGX's) would make it look a ton better and handle much better.

-Dave
Old 08-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Glad you found the site. I didn't think I was going to do all that much to my Max, either, but one thing leads to another...and another...

There's always something you can do to improve the vehicle's performance, driveability or looks. Some are small and inexpensive and others are $$$. I'll bet there will be at least a few mods you'll end up doing.

Check the Detail Forum. Lots of tips there for cleaning, polishing, waxing etc. Even if you don't do any mods, that info will help you keep your rides lookin' great!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:30 PM
V^___^V

welcome!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:52 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Hi, welcome to paradise. I was like you once, I stumbled into this forum with no plans to mod my car. Now, Im about $3000.00 poorer due to the severe bite I have received from the mod bug!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Old Maxima Legend

which maxima is your favorite ?
Old 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

This place is contagious, who wants to place bets on his mods to come? Welcome to the Org.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i say he mods ... i forget why i even ended up here and look at my car and why am i driving ridiculous amounts miles to go racing ? what is going on ? I have so many projects im working on now. I might as well quit my job and open up somekind of mod shop ...lol ! And im in a Maxima ... !
Old 08-20-2003, 01:54 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
i say he mods ... i forget why i even ended up here and look at my car and why am i driving ridiculous amounts miles to go racing ? what is going on ? I have so many projects im working on now. I might as well quit my job and open up somekind of mod shop ...lol ! And im in a Maxima ... !
Old 08-20-2003, 03:28 PM

Your not going to mon Yeah sure, your auto lets leave out of this, but the 5spd trust me...it just takes one, only 1 mod and its all over. Try an intake +5whp and you even get a slight increase in mileage too! Not to mention that vicious sound it makes Im on deep as well, and I havnt even gotten rims yet.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:16 PM

:-) Hi again.

Thanks for the warm welcome This place is like a magnet, and yes HitMan is right, I want to upgrade my Maximas now ... a little bit :-) Adding few more horses wouldn't hurt. I'll find the Air intake thread.

My favorite Maxima would be 1998 5sp if I want to go for a joy ride. But 2000 auto is better for all other things.

Ok I am in detail forum now :-)
Old 08-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Kevlo for President

i would start to mod the 98
on both max's RSB and FSTB is a MUST
Old 08-20-2003, 05:16 PM

Yeah both RSB (rear sway bar) and FSTB (front strut tower bar) are a must so is the y-pipe then springs, oh damn then struts, then the cat-back, then the rims, then the body kit, ahh crap cant 4get those HIDs hmm what am I leaving out...crap the stereo...by this time you have too many paint chips and need a paint job ...ok now back to whats under the hood, now you need the MEVI with the intake comon you know you want that extra 50hp at 6500rpm whats next a JimWolf ECU yeah sure why not now we need hmm... A TURBO!

As you can see this will go on 4ever and be4 you know it $20,000+ is gone
Old 08-20-2003, 05:56 PM

First thing I want to do is upgrade air intake and muffler, to get the best sound out of this thing. I'll think about RSB and FSTB. Please go ahead tell me all about available modifications, and where to get them .

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Old Maxima Legend

good links:
http://test.maxima.org/ search feature works and you can find lots of info

mod info database
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?FrontPage

Happy Hunting !
Old 08-20-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
it just takes one, only 1 mod and its all over.
That is the truth!!!
Let the modding bug begin, it's all worth it...

Welcome to Maxima.org Maxserg...
Old 08-20-2003, 07:28 PM

wudup dooood
Old 08-20-2003, 07:28 PM

wudup dooood
Old 08-20-2003, 08:17 PM

If you dont like the whole droning thing get a stock 2K-2K1 muffler or a dynomax which is still pretty quiet, besides the intake will make more then enough tunes for you to enjoy. Its quiet at cruise, but sounds evil as hell when you get on it, trust me it will put a grin on your face. As for the exhaust...you can always go dual (What am I getting this guy into )
Old 08-20-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
(What am I getting this guy into )
I dont know but before you know it he'll be selling his 2000 to buy more mods for his 98

Welcome to the org my friend, after joining I've been addicted to modding my max.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:37 PM

Hi again. Here is what I want to get Weapon R air intake http://www.weapon-r.com/dintake.html , and a muffler (don't know which one though?). Now I have questions. Weapon R intakes, are they any good? What if I just replace muffler, will it increase my horse power? And the last question how much will it increase my horse power?
Sorry for stupid questions.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:01 PM

No1 here that im aware of has that intake. Frankencar is usually the best choice when it comes to the WAI (warm air intake) Are you goin for looks or you want most usable power? I can give you many suggestions on the intake. As for the muffler, just get the whole cat-back done man. I have some soundclips in my sig, check em out. Let me know what your looking for and ill give you my .02 on it...

btw- little (1hp?) to no gain in power from changing the muffler. Which car is this on the 5spd or the auto?
Old 08-23-2003, 08:58 PM

I want to go for more usable power for less money, and ease of installation. WAI sounds good. And as I understund Frankencar and Stillen are the best. Catback and muffler ... also unsure about where to get those. FSTB of course. I am looking forward to those mods first and then will go on something bigger. Thanks for the advise.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by MaxSerg
I want to go for more usable power for less money, and ease of installation. WAI sounds good. And as I understand Frankencar and Stillen are the best. Catback and muffler ... also unsure about where to get those. FSTB of course. I am looking forward to those mods first and then will go on something bigger. Thanks for the advise.
Alright then, if you want most usable power and dont care about how it looks get a flat K&N panel intake that goes into the stock airbox. Its the cheapest and most effective, Dave B has this setup and he seems to be pulling some good ETs Click send him a PM for more info on it. Its called the hacked/ghetto air box but it definetly works. Easy ot install this definetly takes the cake you need to remove the air box obviously and cut a few small area out (dont worry, it wont hurt anything in any way), just pop in the filter and your done. Dave has several more pics which im sure he'll show you if you ask. Its alot easier then you'd think to do.

If you want an actual intake pipe and all the franken/stillen combo is in my opinion your next best bet. This is the setup I have, but probably the most costly and to be honest just not worth it. Not to mention getting it to fit, its probably the longest WAI out there

As for the exhaust...how loud do you want to go? Keep it as close to stock sounding, just a little tone or ? Also are you doing the cat-back for power, looks, or just sound? Mufflers you can get universal (I have a few links) but Ill post them depending on what you want.

If you want just a good kick in power, get a y-pipe. Its the best bang for the buck N/A mod you can get, 10-15whp gain is common. Noise isnt really effected, but if you have a y-pipe it DOES make any cat-back you have louder.
I say get a y-pipe 1st then work from there on. You might get a cat-back that sounds good, then get a y and it will anoy the hell out of you. Ive done my exhaust just once, unlike many who made this mistake and have done it 2-3 times.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:26 AM

Here is why I want to mod my car a bit. Better gas mileage, more horse power, and sound. For air intake K&N panel intake sounds good, unless of course there are other similar choices. Muffler, I need it for the sound (a little tone) and looks, not so much for HP. Thanks for the advise on Cat-Back but I will wait on that one.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by MaxSerg
Here is why I want to mod my car a bit. Better gas mileage, more horse power, and sound. For air intake K&N panel intake sounds good, unless of course there are other similar choices. Muffler, I need it for the sound (a little tone) and looks, not so much for HP. Thanks for the advise on Cat-Back but I will wait on that one.

So the intake is out of the way then. The muffler well you have MANY choices man. You can anything from a stillen b-pipe (get it with a resonator 18" long) if you want a "little" tone well honestly I still havnt figured out what will give you a little tone w/o it being too quiet. The Dynomax muffler is the quietest next to stock usually the 17748 model and its pretty cheap. I have the magnaflow on mine but its too damn deep and im thinking of switching to a flowmaster just to see how it will sound If that doesnt work, im going with dynomax. You can even get the cat-back custom built, it will cost apprx $250ish + whatever muffler you choose to get. Id personally get the stillen b-pipe slap on a resonator (unless you can get it with one) and add on a muffler of your choosing. Your call.
Check out www.southwestautoworks.com and www.custommaxima.com , www.cattman.com also has optiong for the max.

For mufflers click Here and Here you can use the search on either of those two to find a resonator.

Your call.