General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Smoke from radiator cap??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 03:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I went over to a friend's house last night. Had my car idle in front of his house. I looked over at my car and saw smoke comming out of the grill. I had thought I smelled burning coolant before from inside my car. But it was faint. I wasn't sure. The temp gauge was where it usually was. I opened up the hood and it seemed that smoke was comming out of my radiator cap. My overflow bottle was empty. The cap appeared to be on correctly. But since the car was hot I didn't take the cap off. I drove home and put some coolant in the overflow bottle. I'm going to check it soon when I leave for work. I wonder how much coolant boiled off. I smelled the coolant smell like last week! I don't think I did any major engine damage. The temp has been in the 30s in the day time and the 20s at night. I'm worried about the water pump and such though.

So what would cause smoke to come out from the radiator cap? Anything major that I don't know about? Or maybe my radiator cap is just busted or not put on correctly?

ZuM
Old 02-13-2001, 06:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

assuming the rad cap was installed ok and it's in good condition...
you might have small leak..what you were smelling faintly. prob a lot of it leaked and theres not enough coolant to cool the car..hence boilover. do a pressure test on the cooling system. if there's no leak then i would suspect the water pump going.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I opened up the radiator today when the car was cold.. And there was coolant in there.. almost full.. I could see it. I turned on the car with the cap off... and the level raised.. I'm assuming that means there is enough coolant.. What do you think? The smoke seems to come out from under the cap.

ZuM

Originally posted by DanNY
assuming the rad cap was installed ok and it's in good condition...
you might have small leak..what you were smelling faintly. prob a lot of it leaked and theres not enough coolant to cool the car..hence boilover. do a pressure test on the cooling system. if there's no leak then i would suspect the water pump going.