General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hard start this morning, possible remote start issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Hard start this morning, possible remote start issue?

This morning I used my remote start and all I got was a crank with no start. After the system tried 2x to start the car I deactived it. This isn't the first the my remote starter has done this. The first time it acted up was last winter. At that time, I took the unit down, checked the wiring and the module with my chipped ignition key. All seemed good so I put it back together and the system has been fine ever since, till this morning.

Once I got to the car I tried the remote start again, once again nothing but an extended crank with no start. Now here's where things get weird. I tried to start the car normally with the key, and all I got was a crank with no start. So now I'm figuring I've got a problem. Tried again, held my foot to the floor just in case the attempts to start it remotely have flooded it. No go, so I pop the hood and get ready to spend the morning looking at crank sensors and what not. Then just before I head back inside, I reach in the car to get my keys out of the ignition and just for kicks give it another crank. Vrooommmm the bitch starts like nothing ever went wrong, not even a stumble or cloud of smoke which I would have expected if gas has been injected during the extended cranking times.

So now I'm thinking my remote starter was the cause of this episode this morning. The car has started perfectly all day, no CEL and it's running fine.

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:37 PM
V^___^V

my car did that 2 times to me in the summer, i had to gave it a bit of gas then it "vrooooom" like nothin was wrong. at first it thought it would be a starter problem... but i don't know if you got any weird smell or any weird "click" sound coming out of the engine. i say just keep observing and keep a good eye on it.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:57 PM
living out of a maxima...

Tom... what did you do about your chip with the remote start?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Tom... what did you do about your chip with the remote start?
Theres a module that has my 2nd key hiddin in my car. That module sends the code to the ECU when the system is activated so the car thinks the key is in the ignition. The module is only activated when the remote start is active, if you try to jump the car or hot wire it, the imobalizer will disable the car. It's a $50 dollar add on to a basic remote start system. Had to put that module in our BMW 330's system as well. Only I know where the key is.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

It sounds like there is something with the immobilizer and an innability from the box to send a signal to the remote start that the key is in the ignition. If the immobilizer is active you can crank the car all day with the remote start and it just won't start at all. Maybe a wire is loose? Or that part of the unit is bad. I would check the wiring, if its ok and you have another problem look into replacing that part of the system.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:30 PM

It did it again today but started immediatwly with my key this time. Hopefully whatever it is will fail altogether so I can fix it once and for all.