General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOOOO!...I just broke something

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001 | 12:23 PM

ahh...crap...i was installing the new indiglo gauges from initial K and i broke that plastic part covering the whole gauge...like the top piece that u have to pull off that has the dimmer switch and cruise control piece...i was so mad...but i decided to keep on going...then i finally take out the gauge...while i'm trying to thread the pieces through...i encounter another problem...it won't fit...like the big pieces...( mph scale, and speedometer )...i can't get it over the black piece...so i was stuck...i was trying to thread it for like 15 mins...and then i gave up...dammit...maybe it's time to take it to a mechanic...also i want to know like where to the wires through?...there is like no place...and also where do i put that fuse box or whatever it is...i am so lost...dammit

can someone help me with like pictures or something...they have to be really detailed
Old 02-16-2001 | 12:36 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

oh geez..

remove the two little screws on the gauge faces, right? then slide one end of the indiglo face under neath the needle, have it sorta bend down a little, but don't put too much force. slip gauge UNDERNEATH the needle, until it hits the pin that holds the speedo needle in.

then pull down the other side of the indiglo gauge until it slips over the needle piece.

that's how it SHOULD work. if you're stuck, make sure the indiglo face gets slipped UNDER NEATH the needle.
Old 02-16-2001 | 05:26 PM

what about the wires?

what about the wires coming from the new gauges ... where do i wire that through?...i saw like the holes in the middle but it doesn't fit exactly...how did u wire them out?...also where do i put that box?...just ne where?...thanks
Old 02-16-2001 | 05:58 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

red is positive. that means you need to run it to a switched 12 V power source, hopefully the switch to the lights.

you can link it to IGN screw on the back of the tach, but that means it will always be on. not that great of an idea, but it works, if you want it on when the lights go on. try looking for the power to the cruise control switch or anything that will "lite" up when you know, the light switch is turned on.

black is ground, you can splice it directly to the back of the gauges where the letter GND are. that means ground.

if you're still stuck. or don't know what the hell i am saying, take it to a car audio installer or a mechanice and pay for them to install .
Old 02-16-2001 | 08:23 PM

i know what ur saying...i meant the other wires

like the ones coming from the mph, rpm, fule, temp...where do i put those wires through...the center?...i saw like 7 holes going down the center i think...should i take it out through there or somewhere else?
Old 02-17-2001 | 02:30 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

your going to have to

cut out a notch so the wires can go through on the edge somewhere like this --------I______I------------ (get it)
the wires will lay in the middle and when you put the piece that lays over the guages back on, it should ba a good fit. this is a quick way since i didn't want to bother looking for a spot to thread through. don't make it too big or else the wires will move around alot and there may be a minimal chance of the guages moving. which is bad but not likey to happen anyway. hook it up like Cheston says and you should be good to go. i just stuck the box in back of the guages and held it down with electrical tape.

*the analog controller is kinda huge splurge for the digital! (for anyone else interested)

*Cheston, my guages went out and when i went to take a look at what was wrong, turned out i forgot to electrical tape my positve connection and it came loose! Doh!!!! how are your guages doing, i notice a little hum but not really bad (like the first indiglo guages out for civics and what not)unless you are really listening for it, do you get this?
Old 02-17-2001 | 02:37 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

ohh by the way

not actually in the back of the guages, i stuck it in the back of the guage towards/near a sidewall.

and two notches, i on each side, 2 wires for each notch.