General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Validate this statement:

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 03:48 PM
is invisible

"For example on many vehicles a header, intake and exhaust package installed together may give more horsepower than will the individual components total if each is installed seperately. In other cases, the opposite is true." -- Steve Millen Sports Cars 2000

Why is this? What difference can it really make?

And what is the proper order on Maximas?
In addition, when would be the proper time to install an aftermarket ECU? Before/after/during the installation of other mods?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2001, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe what they mean is that by installing all the mods together there will be a more noticable difference then if you did them one by one. i don't about "proper order" but i think it usually goes intake and then exhaust. in my opinion, first you want to get more air to the engine and then after that, you'll want to make the exhuast exit more efficiently(y-pipe, test pipe/high flow cat, cat-back exhaust). as for the ecu, you'd want to do it after all your other mods so that it can be programmed to take advantage of your other mods.
Old 02-18-2001, 04:46 PM

Yep.....

Think of our intake/y pipe project. Sure the Y gives some power but if you have the stock box you can't get anymore air into the engine. The reverse is also true....got and intake....but then can't force the air out of the engine.

Best example. Think of a garden hose with 2 small kinks in it about 3 feet away from each other. You undo one of the kinks and the water flows better but there still is the other. You can reverse them and the same. Then undo both and the water can flow much easier.

See..wasn't that easy rower boy

ps- 162lbs
Old 02-18-2001, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CoolMax

"For example on many vehicles a header, intake and exhaust package installed together may give more horsepower than will the individual components total if each is installed seperately. In other cases, the opposite is true." -- Steve Millen Sports Cars 2000
Sound like a lot of marketing bullsh!t to me. And what a bunch of gobbledygook. Sometimes it gives more horsepower and sometimes it doesn't? What the hell does that mean?

Trust me. It's just a way for Stillen to sell you everything all at once and make more profit.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:20 AM
is invisible

Ok, Fatso...

Originally posted by Mike S.
Think of our intake/y pipe project. Sure the Y gives some power but if you have the stock box you can't get anymore air into the engine. The reverse is also true....got and intake....but then can't force the air out of the engine.

Best example. Think of a garden hose with 2 small kinks in it about 3 feet away from each other. You undo one of the kinks and the water flows better but there still is the other. You can reverse them and the same. Then undo both and the water can flow much easier.

See..wasn't that easy rower boy

ps- 162lbs
That makes complete sense to me.
However, the impression that I get from the Stillen statement was that if you install all the mods at the same time you will yeild more power than if you install them separately (install a cat-back, 6 months later install a Y-pipe, 6 months later instal the intake instead of doing it all at once).

I'm with y2kse on this.

ps. You must be HUGE. I'm at 155lbs...all 5'7" of me. I specialize in the lat pulldown (4 sets/10 reps @ 110lbs). How's that for a power:weight ratio?

Old 02-19-2001, 07:41 AM

Hardly

I look the same but with some bigger arms...lol.

When you do the lat pull is it infront of your head, behind or a combo?

I think what they are trying to say(worded incorectly though) is that whole of the parts is often greater than the sum of each.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:04 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by Mike S.
Hardly

I look the same but with some bigger arms...lol.

When you do the lat pull is it infront of your head, behind or a combo?

I think what they are trying to say(worded incorectly though) is that whole of the parts is often greater than the sum of each.
I use the close grip in front of my head. Lat pulldowns are great for the back; will give you a good base to build on with other excersizes.

As for Stillen's statement, I'm trying to figure out why that is that the case (what you just said).
Old 02-19-2001, 08:28 AM

If you're eventually going to get all of the parts...

Does it really matter what order you get them in? So what if you can't afford to get them all at one time. In the end when you have them all, you'll still be making the same power than if you got them all at the same time...right?

And if you get your ECU reprogrammed to take advantage of the mods, even better.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:39 AM
is invisible

Exactly...

Originally posted by Black VQ
Does it really matter what order you get them in? So what if you can't afford to get them all at one time. In the end when you have them all, you'll still be making the same power than if you got them all at the same time...right?

And if you get your ECU reprogrammed to take advantage of the mods, even better.
Maybe this is some Stillen ********: what difference does it really make? Somebody please explain!

Hell, I could say installing mods in intervals gives the engine time to adjust to the changes instead of opening up the intake/exhaust suddenly and therefore yields more power...right?
Old 02-19-2001, 08:49 AM

I dunno about that though..

To really take advantage of the mods, the ECU has to be reprogrammed. Sometimes it will adapt on its own, but this is just so that it keeps running right, not necessarily for performance. It can't actually re-map itself, so you'd need someone to reprogram it.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:55 AM
is invisible

Correct...

To really take advantage of the mods, the ECU has to be reprogrammed. Sometimes it will adapt on its own, but this is just so that it keeps running right, not necessarily for performance. It can't actually re-map itself, so you'd need someone to reprogram it.
The ECU situation is understood: do it last.

But what about the other mods?
Old 02-19-2001, 10:28 AM

That's a toughie...

IMHO, it really depends on what you're going to do. You have to carefully plan out what you want to do.

For example, there's no point in getting an aftermarket header if you're planning on adding a turbo sometime down the road. The turbo manifold replaces the header.
Another example: Why get one of those cheap $100 or less universal muffler and tip combos if you really want to save up for a cat back? The cat back comes with a muffler and tip, so you'd just be wasting money.
One last example: You need new shocks, and wanted to get some sport springs while you're at it. Get them at the same time, and have them installed together. Not only does it save on downtime and trips to the shop, but on labor charges as well.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:01 AM
is invisible

Agreed

IMHO, it really depends on what you're going to do. You have to carefully plan out what you want to do.

For example, there's no point in getting an aftermarket header if you're planning on adding a turbo sometime down the road. The turbo manifold replaces the header.
Another example: Why get one of those cheap $100 or less universal muffler and tip combos if you really want to save up for a cat back? The cat back comes with a muffler and tip, so you'd just be wasting money.
One last example: You need new shocks, and wanted to get some sport springs while you're at it. Get them at the same time, and have them installed together. Not only does it save on downtime and trips to the shop, but on labor charges as well.
that planning is important...but honestly, that's common sense. Been there, done that -- thanks anyways.

But it still doesn't answer this statement: "For example on many vehicles a header, intake and exhaust package installed together may give more horsepower than will the individual components total if each is installed seperately. In other cases, the opposite is true." -- Steve Millen Sports Cars 2000