General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SUPERCHARGER IS SCREWED UP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 07:58 AM

Ok I've just about had it with this V2 Stillen supercharger. I recently noticed this rust dust residue on my supercharger pulley (the one that sits next to the blower) so I took it to a guy who deals with a lot of Vortech blowers to have him take a look and listen. He said that there appeared to be some type of bearing or gear noise coming from within the supercharger itself and that some metal was apparently grinding thus causing the rusty dust residue on my SC pulley. I called my shop on Tues. to schedule my car to come in so that we could take off the blower and send it back to Stillen to see what was wrong with it and fix it since its still under warranty. The very next day as I'm exiting the freeway I hear this loud noise coming from under my hood and thought, "Oh CRAP!" Well "Oh Crap" was right!!! The end of the supercharger shaft which the SC pulley turns DISINTEGRATED and now my pulley was rubbing against the housing used to mount the charger to the engine. So it turned out that something was in fact seriously wrong!!! I've always thought almost from the beginning that the blower was making a weird noise and told Stillen that on numerous occasions. I'm really getting sick of all the problems this blower has given me!! Man all I want is a reliable blower that works and for Stillen to stand behind their product and make me whole!
I'm now in negotiation with a manager at Stillen to have them pickup the labor, towing, and shipping charges for this recent fiasco with my supercharger. What do you guys think? I think next time I'm just going to buy a really fast car and forgo all the headaches that come with modifying a car.

Diederik
Old 02-21-2001, 08:16 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm not sticking up for Stillen, but you must remember that Vortech makes the blower therefore it is ultimately their problem. It seems that Vortech is having big problems with the new V2 blowers.

Dave
Old 02-21-2001, 08:32 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Diederik, sorry to hear about your problem, but may I ask what kind of noises you hearing from the blower? Jane's V2 is very loud, sort of like a V1 but now as loud. When the RPM is at about 1300, the blower gives off a weird whistling sound (sort of high pitched and not too noticeable if you don't want to hear it).

We told Stillen many times when were were down in Costa Mesa and they said it was normal. Could you please elaborate on the noise? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2001, 08:54 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Let me guess. The manager you are negotiating with is Bill from the customer service. Good luck! The guy is an ***. You be lucky to get a penny out of him.

Originally posted by DMan_2KMax
I'm now in negotiation with a manager at Stillen to have them pickup the labor, towing, and shipping charges for this recent fiasco with my supercharger. What do you guys think? I think next time I'm just going to buy a really fast car and forgo all the headaches that come with modifying a car.

Diederik
Old 02-21-2001, 10:55 AM
RussMaxManiac

Dman, my recommendation is contact Vortech, and ask for warranty a swap for the older V1. It is reliable, may be noisy, but its defintely a better one. Loren said they will do this free of charge.

Ok I've just about had it with this V2 Stillen supercharger. I recently noticed this rust dust residue on my supercharger pulley (the one that sits next to the blower) so I took it to a guy who deals with a lot of Vortech blowers to have him take a look and listen. He said that there appeared to be some type of bearing or gear noise coming from within the supercharger itself and that some metal was apparently grinding thus causing the rusty dust residue on my SC pulley. I called my shop on Tues. to schedule my car to come in so that we could take off the blower and send it back to Stillen to see what was wrong with it and fix it since its still under warranty. The very next day as I'm exiting the freeway I hear this loud noise coming from under my hood and thought, "Oh CRAP!" Well "Oh Crap" was right!!! The end of the supercharger shaft which the SC pulley turns DISINTEGRATED and now my pulley was rubbing against the housing used to mount the charger to the engine. So it turned out that something was in fact seriously wrong!!! I've always thought almost from the beginning that the blower was making a weird noise and told Stillen that on numerous occasions. I'm really getting sick of all the problems this blower has given me!! Man all I want is a reliable blower that works and for Stillen to stand behind their product and make me whole!

Diederik

Old 02-21-2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Diederik, sorry to hear about your problem, but may I ask what kind of noises you hearing from the blower? Jane's V2 is very loud, sort of like a V1 but now as loud. When the RPM is at about 1300, the blower gives off a weird whistling sound (sort of high pitched and not too noticeable if you don't want to hear it).

We told Stillen many times when were were down in Costa Mesa and they said it was normal. Could you please elaborate on the noise? Thanks in advance!
The noise from the blower sounded like a grinding/knocking sound and it was only evident when the engine was at 800-1000 rpm. If I reved the engine say to 1500-2000 rpm the sound went away. There was also a high pitch squeak when starting the car cold (best described as a belt squeak). Hope that helps.

Diederik
Old 02-21-2001, 12:16 PM

Whoa... Dude I'm seriously sorry to heat that Everything seemed so fine when you came down a few weeks ago :-\

I don't remember hearing anything weird when you gave me a ride in the car at Don's house after you first got it installed

This sucks. Hope everything goes good for you. I think you should try doing what Russ said. Get a V1 from Vortech.

The noise from the blower sounded like a grinding/knocking sound and it was only evident when the engine was at 800-1000 rpm. If I reved the engine say to 1500-2000 rpm the sound went away. There was also a high pitch squeak when starting the car cold (best described as a belt squeak). Hope that helps.

Diederik
Old 02-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Vic

freaken v2.
but the belt squealing at cold temps is normal.
Vic
Old 02-21-2001, 06:20 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

again not to defend stillen just to cover your rear make sure there wasn't a oil leak somewhere or anything. it sounds like the bearings went dry due to lack of oil. check the oil lines and make sure they flow..if they are not then make them flow so they can't complain that it was install and not SC. good luck.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:34 PM

Yeah we checked the oil feed . . .

That was one of the first things my shop checked for was the oil line and all appeared fine. I just got off the phone with Bill from Stillen tonight and it looks like they are going to work with me on the labor charges. I'll keep yall posted. Hopefully I'll get my charger back early next week.

Later,
Diederik
Old 02-22-2001, 05:47 AM

Well that was the same noise I was having, you only hear it at Idle->

I think it was the bearing in the S/C. Man I wish you luck an sorry to hear about the bad news. It took me 1 year to get my money back I hope it works out better for you.
Later

Diederik