General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

sound deadening the interior from outside noise, not just for systems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Custom User Title...

sound deadening the interior from outside noise, not just for systems...

well, i've read tons of posts and looked through the audio forum, but i figured i'd ask ask to see if there's any new or better feedback. i'm not looking to dynamat my car to eliminate rattles (well i do have a few dash ones to take care of but that's another topic). i'm looking to get rid as much outside noise as cheap as possible without adding tons of weight. i've read threads about peal n seal but i believe it's more similar to dynamat in resonence(sp?!) reguards. i've also read about Lcomp and Vcomp but that stuff is reeeaally pricey.

i love the sound of my exhaust from the outside, but can't stand the droning from the inside when i have passengers. so, i would like to put some sound deadening material underneath my back seats and floor to hopefully kill some of that noise. probably inside the trunk too and behind the door panels while i'm at it. i do have a resonator on my exhaust but it is still pretty loud so that is my main concern. i've thought about switching mufflers to stock but i like the looks of my muffler and don't really want to change it. maybe this would be the cheapest and smartest way but i'd also just like to quiet down the interior.

so what would anyone recomend? is there another cheap home depot or lowe's material that can be used for this? i would have posted in the audio forum but this seems to be more of a general car thing. i read njmaxsel's thread about the undercoating stuff which is another option i'm considering.

so what's the verdict? is there something like this or should i just go for the peal n seal? i'm all ears
Old 11-19-2003, 10:48 AM

peel and seal. just make sure you have a clean surface and a heat gun when you apply it. its not that expensive either.
let me know how it goes with the sound deadening, i'm ready to make my car ride like a dropped lexus (aka stiff and quiet)
Old 11-19-2003, 01:20 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Go to Home-Depot and get polyester sound proofing insullation. It must be polyester or you will be breathing in fiberglass. Put that **** everywhere. Take out the trunk lining and stuff it up the sides. Don't be deceived, you can reach up to your shoulder unobstructed. Stuff it full and then throw the leftover in the spare tire well. Then get a scrap of carpet. Whatever color you want and cut it to fit the floor of the trunk. This blocks some sound and absorbs other.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by broaner22
Go to Home-Depot and get polyester sound proofing insullation. It must be polyester or you will be breathing in fiberglass. Put that **** everywhere. Take out the trunk lining and stuff it up the sides. Don't be deceived, you can reach up to your shoulder unobstructed. Stuff it full and then throw the leftover in the spare tire well. Then get a scrap of carpet. Whatever color you want and cut it to fit the floor of the trunk. This blocks some sound and absorbs other.
do you have a specific product name? like "peel and seal" or "weatherguard"(wherever that stuff is to be found).
is it cheaper/more effective than peel and seal?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Custom User Title...

i'm gonna make a run to home depot or lowe's soon and price it all out. thanx for the input...i'm gonna still look around before i go ahead but this shouldn't be too bad. i just want to quiet it down...maybe i'm getting old (20) but i can't stand the noise anymore
Old 11-20-2003, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
i'm gonna make a run to home depot or lowe's soon and price it all out. thanx for the input...i'm gonna still look around before i go ahead but this shouldn't be too bad. i just want to quiet it down...maybe i'm getting old (20) but i can't stand the noise anymore
hah, i'm almost 20 and today, i had my first ever almost-factory-quiet exhaust installed. i love it. now its time to made that road noise disappear...let me know how it goes.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:41 PM

One word - Fatmat.
100 sq. ft. for $125 shipped ( http://www.fatmat.com/fatpaks/100.htm )

Just gotta lose 23 pounds now to balance the weight