General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help! power window not working...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 09:14 PM
ged

i just joined the hallowed maxima club with a 3rd gen (90). i knew beforehand that the window on the driver side wasn't work properly. i'm hoping to fix it myself instead of getting ripped off at a garage.

the window goes down fine, but doesn't go back up very easily. the 'up' button has to be hit like 50 times before the it will agree to go back up.

i did a search on the web, and found one person talking about power window regulators on early models being a problem (something about metal clasps not hanging on to the glass or something). i called a dealer and the guy said a new regulator is $70 or so.

could someone please help me out with this? specificaly:
1. do you think the problem *is* with the regulator? and
2. how best to go about fixing the bloody thing.

thanks a million,
ged

Old 03-05-2001, 04:14 AM

Well since it does eventually go up, I would say that something is wrong with the switch. Also when the window goes up does it go smoothly?
Old 03-05-2001, 05:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

regulator is a very common problem for the 3rd gen
I'm very surprised you didn't find more info about it by searching; make sure you're searching the 3rd gen forum for it and not the main discussion for more results
anyway, it could be a sign that your regulator is dying which is what I would guess, but there is a small chance that it is something in the switch
I think it probably just goes down fine because of gravity; when the regulator breaks, the window will fall down into the door so maybe it's starting to do that
if you want instructions to take apart your door and replace it or just have a look at it; they are on my page in the how-to section
the pictures aren't working right now becuase of geocities, but if you rigth click on the red X, you can go to the image source adn copy and paste it too see the pics

good luck
Old 03-05-2001, 02:46 PM
ged

hojo and «§»Craig B«§»,
thanks a ton for your replies and pictures.

i haven't had the courage to put the window down since i bought the car a week ago, so i don't know whether the motor whines when trying to get the window up!! however, if it *is* the switch (as against the regulator), is there an easy way for me to determine this?

as soon as this damned storm passes, i'll go out there and take a look at the door!

thanks again,
ged