General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Has anyone ever de-Californized their exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:09 AM

Has anyone ever de-Californized their exhaust system?

Just a quick ?

I have a 97 SE unfortunately it's a California car. So, it suffers from a little bit of a power robbery.

So, I was just wondering if there is anything special you need to do to remove the California exhaust system set-up. Or, if it's just a bolt-on mod with nothing special needed. Will the ECU need to be re-changed?

In the future, I plan on putting a Random Technology hi-flowing Catalytic convertor, and maybe an intake.

I know there are a lot of systems available, but Random claims it's system is street legal.

Anyways, wondering if you guys have this set-up and what you think about it?

There are a lot of advatanges for a more open exhaust system. Not only is there a power increase, but you also get better MPG as well.

Here are the ordering numbers:

This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter). Please note that no aftermarket catalytic converters are legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles).

Maxima
81-84
2.4L

86-94
3.0L

95-96
3.0L
For stock 2-1/2" exhaust system

95-96
3.0L
For modified 3" exhaust system

97-03
3.0L
For stock 2-1/2" exhaust system

97-03
3.0L
For modified 3" exhaust system

The website is www.randomtechnology.com
Old 02-04-2004, 10:12 AM

Oh yeah here's a dyno for a 95 Maxima with the exhaust system set-up:

14hp gain, 16 ft/pound gain.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I could be way off, but I didn't think there was a special CAIL-spec version of the Maxima in 97. I think the first year they were started was in 99....but I could be wrong.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Elevated_Maxima
Oh yeah here's a dyno for a 95 Maxima with the exhaust system set-up:

14hp gain, 16 ft/pound gain.
Did you notice that they dyno'd the cat AND a greddy catback against stock? Most Catalytic converters are only good for a few hp. I have a Random, and I didn't feel much of anything.

But when you put high flowing components together, they all provider higher overall gains. Just like a pinched straw... it doesn't matter how thick the straw is, it's still going to be restricted from the pinch.

If you're talking about the y-pipe differences in the CA cars, you can get a federal spec y-pipe and OEM front header and drill 2 extra holes in the b-pipe to put the downstream O2 sensors in. You'll probably also need to extend the O2 sensor wires.

Also, if you're looking for power mods a great place to start is:
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaPerformance
Old 02-04-2004, 11:50 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

I did a search back to 2002 for the 4th gen forum on Random Tech Cats. Read all of these threads. The first thread is general exhaust questions answered. All of the other threads are Random Tech Cats related.

I personally have a 2.5 inch Carsound Cat and would reccomend it to anyone. I haven't had one problem with it. I can NOT prove it has any gains or losses because I do not have any dyno information with it on or off of my own.

If these threads do not help you, I would be glad to dig deeper for you and search further back.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=random (exhaust thread that is very informative)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=random

Old 02-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LOL..

A) There is no such thing as a Cali spec 97.. Only 99's had a difference. And that difference was essentially that they felt compelled to stop 4th gen production early and went ahead and threw a 5th gen exhaust/ecu in there.

B) A lot of people have the Random Tech. Good luck passing smog if you DO live in california with a RT. Also, a LOT of people have had problems with the RT cats. Search around for the "RT Hater's Club" in peoples signatures. You'll see it.

C) If you dont even have an intake or a y-pipe, you're never going to see the difference in a RT cat from a stock one. Even if you did have intake, y-pipe, the gains from the RT are minimal.

D) Oh yeah, that dyno. Why did they throw a catback on there too? And what did they do to that poor car to make it dyno 152fwhp? Not that it's unheard of, but that is at least 10hp low to begin with, even for an Automatic.

Welcome to the .org, newly empowered driver
Old 02-04-2004, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by hakk97se
LOL..

A) There is no such thing as a Cali spec 97.. Only 99's had a difference. And that difference was essentially that they felt compelled to stop 4th gen production early and went ahead and threw a 5th gen exhaust/ecu in there.

Not according to the FAQ on the 4th gen forum:

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California

Mine has the V code in it. I don't think they would have gone to all the trouble to say it's a California car, without it being somewhat different.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:45 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine has the V code in it. I don't think they would have gone to all the trouble to say it's a California car, without it being somewhat different.
There's an easy way to tell if its a cali-spec or not.

Look in-front of your engine...are there two plugs or four?

Old 02-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=hakk97se]
B) A lot of people have the Random Tech. Good luck passing smog if you DO live in california with a RT. Also, a LOT of people have had problems with the RT cats. Search around for the "RT Hater's Club" in peoples signatures. You'll see it.
QUOTE]

I passed smog just a few months ago with a CAI/Y/RT Cat/Apexi WS exhaust setup. It can be done. I didn't have any hookups or know anybody in the shop that I went to. He asked me a couple of questions about the MAF and intake setup but other than that it was smooth sailing. No questions about the exhaust.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:07 PM
My heroine

Not according to the FAQ on the 4th gen forum:

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California

techincally it's a cali car, yes... but in reality, the differences in power between cali spec and fed spec came in with the 99's.. so your 97 cali spec will run the same as a fed spec 97..
Old 02-04-2004, 03:54 PM
living out of a maxima...

I'm a member of the RT Cat hater's club. The honeycomb section in mine broke apart after only a few thousand miles. So I just took it off, knocked all the crap out of it, and put it back in.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by willis
techincally it's a cali car, yes... but in reality, the differences in power between cali spec and fed spec came in with the 99's.. so your 97 cali spec will run the same as a fed spec 97..
It's a california car, but the differences between the 95-98 fed/cali spec are negligible. Still, nobody seems to know what they are. Why would they give a car a seperate designation if there are no differences at all. So what's different? Do the california cars have a different ecu program? Would a 97 fed spec pass emissions in California? Somebody on the org must live in california and have a fed tag, 95-98 car. Did it pass? There are so many holes like this in the knowledge of the board. I want to know more, but there's no dyno graphs, no proof of anything. Everything is just speculation.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:20 PM

I have a fed spec '97 SE that was brought from Texas to Cali by a dealer. The dealer had to have it tested to get a CA title so I assume it passed. I have not tested myself so I can not be 100% certain but I'll be smoging it this year so it better pass. A friend just did this recently to a Civic from Florida and she paid a little extra $$ but she passed without problem. Hondas are super clean though, it might be different.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:20 PM

Don you think the dealer altered anything? I'm probably going to send an email to Nissan and maybe they'll tell me what the differences are.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:31 AM

As far as I can tell the dealer (a Ford dealer) didn't do anything to alter the car. I have spent a pretty good amount of time under the hood and find nothing that is not original from the factory. Except of course what I have done.