General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Fixing the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 10:34 AM

Is it the common practice for the insurance company to give estimate using remanufactured AKA JUNKYARD parts????
I got hella **** (ok...maybe I am overreacting)but what the hey.....Aren't I supposed to be able to get the parts that I want (I do not want remanufactured part!)? and have it fix in the body shop of choice?
Man...what gives....
btw...the accident will not be on my record
hehe...the judge changed the decision
Old 03-14-2001, 10:51 AM

Geico gave my estimate with price for new OEM parts. However my bodyshop said they would try to do used parts if the car is fairly old.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:55 AM
Administrator

This is how it works in theory:

The Adjuster:

Goes out survey's the car and writes up a big estimate for Brand New OEM parts and then some...

The Body Shop (of your choice):

They can also do an estimate of how much they will incurr in trying to fix the car. If it is less, you get a printed estimate to the Insurance Company and they will do it for that.

Send CKNY a message he works for an Insurance Company he would be able to give you accurate details on how it works...

Originally posted by WoodEar
Geico gave my estimate with price for new OEM parts. However my bodyshop said they would try to do used parts if the car is fairly old.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:18 AM

Woodear...

GEICO?
I have GEICO
That person estimated my car with junk yard parts
I gotta have to 'slap' him up and call the main office.....this is really really a POS job
ok...now that I've heard the truth I am really disappointed
thanks for letting me know...else I would probably think that what he pulled on me was a common practice....
No I do not want my car to be treated differently then a new car..why...because I have all the original equipment when I have the car crashed
SO why should I settle with JUNKYARD parts?
yes the car is a 95, but it is a 95 with all OEM from the factory , never replaced.
I demand the same item to fix it. not some junkyard part.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:22 PM

Legal advice

I used to be corporate counsel with a major insurance company and actually drafted cooprate policies on this issue. MOst insurance companies only pay for replacement parts (Unless the car is under 2 years old). HOWEVER, some state require an insurer to use only OEM parts (authority granted to the states via the McCarren Ferguson Act). SO it depends on whether or not they will use OEM parts. The fact that they didn;t use OEM parts on your estimate leads me to believe they are not required to in that state. Insurance is highly regulated and most insurers do coply with the states statutes. If you are really concerned about it-call the insurance commissioner and fill out a complaint. The insurer is obligated to respond to your complaint...
Old 03-14-2001, 12:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah usually the way it works is that they'll try to replace your parts with remanafactured (read: junkyard) parts. Unfortunately this is pretty standard practice unless, like kratz said, your state requires the use of OEM parts. I don't know if ny is or not, but regardless, woodear probably got OEM parts because his car is fairly new.

I think that basically the way they figure it is that lets say you crashed your car and need a new headlamp. Well, you didn't lose a brand new headlight, you lose a 5 year old headlamp, so that's all they have to replace. sucks, but most things these days do =)

Good Luck,
Chris