General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3M tint...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 05:17 AM

3M tint...any good?

Has anyone heard anything about 3M tint? I place near me uses it for tinting?

I was thinking of 35% front and 20% rear and back for my wife's Outback.

Any comments?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:57 PM

I'm pretty sure its one of the best, if not THE best, 3M makes some good products.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Llumar tint.
good stuff...quite $ compared to other tint companies.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:42 PM
† ErV †

so ok let's do this like so:

llumar is the industry standard for auto application
3m is the industry standard for residental, even if 3m did invent tint back in the 60s

both are good, but it really comes to what the installer can work best with.

the most of a difference in different tint quality is 1$ a foot, in wholesale price, taking about 18 feet for a maxima, means you will pay about 18$ more for premium quality, in actual costs to the tint shop, though you will get charged a few times that cause it's just such a good profit for 'em.

there are 2 types of tint that cost leg and your arms, none of which will be carried in your local up the street tint shop.

tinting the windshield is illegal as it gets, but it's totally awesome if done right. just make sure you dont wear polarized glasses afterwards.

and... your sunroof will not explode if you tint it.

i felt like typing

Old 03-05-2004, 09:35 AM

3m doesnt make 5% so thats why i was forced to use Sydlin (supposedly the best here in NE), turned out ok considering its the first car i tinted, no we move on to the 20% on the windshield eheheheheh Cost only $60 for all the film
Old 03-05-2004, 09:36 AM

oh and everything except the windshield was computer cut which made life simpler
Old 03-05-2004, 10:17 AM

I've done some reasearch and went with Solar Gaurd. I have it on my Maxima for over 5 years now and figure it should be hust as good for my wife's Subaru. The Subaru is a lot easier to do because the windows don't have the top portion. the window gasket is around the body of the car.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
so ok let's do this like so:

llumar is the industry standard for auto application
3m is the industry standard for residental, even if 3m did invent tint back in the 60s

both are good, but it really comes to what the installer can work best with.

the most of a difference in different tint quality is 1$ a foot, in wholesale price, taking about 18 feet for a maxima, means you will pay about 18$ more for premium quality, in actual costs to the tint shop, though you will get charged a few times that cause it's just such a good profit for 'em.

there are 2 types of tint that cost leg and your arms, none of which will be carried in your local up the street tint shop.

tinting the windshield is illegal as it gets, but it's totally awesome if done right. just make sure you dont wear polarized glasses afterwards.

and... your sunroof will not explode if you tint it.

i felt like typing
What would happen if you wear polarized suglasses and the car has a tinted windshield?
Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weird look would be my guess. Spots darker than others.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:51 PM

If you wear polarized sunglasses with the tint, it will give a rainbow affect on everything outside the car. It's pretty cool butdistracting.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:48 PM

I have 3M 20/35 tint on my car. I bought it because it doesn't have any metal pigments that would effect my radar detector and it has a lifetime warranty against fading. I havn't had any complaints yet.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 AM
formz

3M tint WILL turn purple. It's turning purple on my father's pickup truck, and it has on several other of my friend's cars. The only saving grace with that is that it has a lifetime replacement warranty so when it does turn purple (and it will) you can get it replaced for free. It seems to have about 2-2.5 years of good black before it starts to turn colors. Llumar is the best.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by formz
3M tint WILL turn purple. It's turning purple on my father's pickup truck, and it has on several other of my friend's cars. The only saving grace with that is that it has a lifetime replacement warranty so when it does turn purple (and it will) you can get it replaced for free. It seems to have about 2-2.5 years of good black before it starts to turn colors. Llumar is the best.

I'll agree on the 3M turning purple. I've had it on my last 2 vehicles and they've both turned at about 3 years. I just had my 6th gen done in Llumar by these guys:

http://www.textint.com

They have a very informative web site, and Blair is a really nice guy. He'll answer questions for you about tinting even if you're not in this area or not one of his customers.

The Llumar was a bit pricey, but it looks scweeeeeet on my black on black Max
Old 03-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You guys are serious about the 3m stuff turning purple?? THis is not good news seeing as how I am getting my car retinted with the 3m scotchtint on tuesday ....

Im holding the pamphlet for it right here and the entire thing talks about how its very color-stable, no purple windows guaranteed. Direct quote from the brochure: "3M's revolutionary Color-Stable Auto Films maintain their colors and never fade to purple. We guarantee it!"

I hope this scotchtint line is a different film than the stuff you guys who said yours faded got.....

-Steve
Old 03-07-2004, 07:22 AM
formz

Honestly I suggest you cancel the appointment.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:15 PM

Don't cancel your appointment just because a couple of guys on here have had their tint turn purple. I have had 3M on my car for over a year and have no signs of fading anywhere. It all matches my sunroof perfectly which I just had done in December. Even if it does start to fade in a couple of years I would love to have a brand new tint job. I accidently scratched the tint on my back window with some cargo and want it replaced anyway. Whatever you get just make sure it has a lifetime warranty and you will be set.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 PM
formz

Ok: It's not based on a "couple of guys" here. I worked at a tint shop that sold Llumar. I've had 3M on my old car, my father has it on his truck, and I've had atleast 5 friends with it on their car. Not to mention all the customers that came into my shop because their 3M tint turned purple.

Also, you say you've had yours over a year with no signs of fading. But if you read the posts above yours, we clearly stated that it takes 2+ years.

Just because something has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean it's worth it. Things that don't get included in a warranty is the time spent driving, and repairing the problem. I'd rather pay an extra $50 to last the lifetime of the car than save that money and waste 3 days because I had to replace the tint 3 times.

Old 03-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by formz
Ok: It's not based on a "couple of guys" here. I worked at a tint shop that sold Llumar. I've had 3M on my old car, my father has it on his truck, and I've had atleast 5 friends with it on their car. Not to mention all the customers that came into my shop because their 3M tint turned purple.

Also, you say you've had yours over a year with no signs of fading. But if you read the posts above yours, we clearly stated that it takes 2+ years.

Just because something has a lifetime warranty doesn't mean it's worth it. Things that don't get included in a warranty is the time spent driving, and repairing the problem. I'd rather pay an extra $50 to last the lifetime of the car than save that money and waste 3 days because I had to replace the tint 3 times.

What was the name of the 3m stuff you had. This film Im getting is called scotchtint by 3m and from what Ive heard its a fairly new product so maybe they have changed things since you and your friends had yours done and this is new and improved tint. Im not gonna cancel my appointment, if I have a problem with it I guess Im screwed and shouldnt of trusted my tint place and the statements made by 3m in the brochure.

-Steve
Old 03-07-2004, 02:21 PM
formz

Ever since 3M tint came out it's been called Scotch. For your sake I hope they improved it, I however wouldn't take the chance.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:44 PM

I have 3M tint...20% all around...lifetime warranty...Check sig and homepage for pics...
I am very happy with it..