General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trunk release broke....why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Lightly modded

Trunk release broke....why?

Well today I tried to pop the trunk and while I heard to normal noise it makes when it unlocks the trunk, the trunk didn't unlock. The trunk was working fine last night...what could have happened? Is there anything I could check before I take it to a mechanic? Is there any way I can manually open the trunk?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:09 PM

If and if there's a little lever on the lock or latch that allows you to disable the electric poper, it may have been inadvertently flipped to not allow the electric popper to unlock... much like a valet key and lock levers on the 5th gens... you know what I mean? so the truck can't be opened with the popper even though it's making the popping sound
Old 03-18-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Well today I tried to pop the trunk and while I heard to normal noise it makes when it unlocks the trunk, the trunk didn't unlock. The trunk was working fine last night...what could have happened? Is there anything I could check before I take it to a mechanic? Is there any way I can manually open the trunk?

Thanks guys.
Have you tried the key in the trunk lock cylinder?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by young1976
If and if there's a little lever on the lock or latch that allows you to disable the electric poper, it may have been inadvertently flipped to not allow the electric popper to unlock... much like a valet key and lock levers on the 5th gens... you know what I mean? so the truck can't be opened with the popper even though it's making the popping sound
I bet that's what it is. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago and spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong. But it's kinda hard to inadvertently push that lever down to keep the electric opener disabled.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Lightly modded

Well how can I access the switch? The trunk is obviously locked, and I'm pretty sure my key doesn't work in the trunk lock. What do I do now?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Well how can I access the switch? The trunk is obviously locked, and I'm pretty sure my key doesn't work in the trunk lock. What do I do now?

If the key won't work then your going to have to remove the back seat and the metal plate behind that to access the lock to release the trunk. I had to do this a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:56 PM

why wouldn't your key work? Have you not tried yet? Because you're pretty sure and not absolutely sure. The little lever thing should be near the bumper side on the bottom where the lock clip onto the car. there should be a little lever inside you can move up or down I think. look down at your spare, straight down near the back edge and then look toward the back of the car... The striker area?

Just took these, my finger is pointing to the lever I'm talking about. It moves up or down and allows you to disable (the mechanical mechanism) of the remote release.

This picture is looking down from the top of the trunck

This pic looking from the front of the trunk toward the back...

oh by the way, mine is a 5th gen, I however don't know if the 4th gen are similar
Old 03-19-2004, 05:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

the 4th gen trunk lock is the WEAKEST on the face of the planet. It's so brittle... my friend has a 97 where he broke his trunk lock twice for closing it too hard.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:17 PM

yeah my trunk ****es me off to no end. My key works fine, and you can hear it when I use the remote, but it wont open that way...only with the key. Tried the lever thing and thats not it.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:32 PM

One time I accidentally flipped the lock switch and my trunk key could not open the trunk. I had to ask a neighbor's kid (smart kid) to climb thru the narrow trunk pass through (in the middle of the back seat) to unflip the switch. He did it, and I rewarded him with $20 for his efforts. Now, I have a masking tape over the switch to make sure that I do not accidentally activate it.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Lightly modded

Ok....now my trunk works and I did nothing to fix it. What would cause it to do this? This is confusing...
Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Lightly modded

OK...great. Like I said, it started working again for a month or so. Then a few days ago it broke again. My key doesn't fit the keyhole back there- so that's ruled out. I can hear the latch click when I press the button, but it doesn't open it. After a while of pushing the release button the clicking noise stops from the back. For a few days if a friend held the trunk up while I pushed the release button it would open, but that doesn't even work any more. I'm very confused, and I don't want to have to take off the back seat. How do I open it from the inside? Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 PM

I think theres a relay for that mechanism somewhere...check that, did it get wet somehow?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:37 AM

If the release still clicks when you press the button, does your trunck stick to the weatherstiping when you try to pop it? You said a friend had to lift up on the trunck when you pop it to open it. If so, try lubricating the weatherstipping with some silicone or something like that... tire dressing... Mine sticks and it stuck last night and I had to really lift it .
Old 06-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Lightly modded

Well for a while it sticking may have been a possibility, but now even if someone is pulling the trunk up, it still doesn't open when I press the button. Can anyone think why my key doesn't work in the trunk keyhole?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:50 AM

There is a switch by the lock in the trunk.....it's used to prevent someone with a velet key to get into your trunk (if activated of course....yours probably is)
Old 06-04-2004, 03:58 AM

That switch I've mentioned before even posted pictures.. it's to keep the trunk from opening by the auto popper. The valet key is a bit shorter and it won't open the glove box or trunk be can open the door and start the car. They key can't activate the switch I don't think.

Now if your "master key" doesn't open the trunk, then that's another story. Did you buy the car brand new? if so, and the trunk never worked from the beginning, then it's a bad or mismatched lock.. but I don't think that's the case or you would have gotten that fixed under warranty. I'm assuming you bought the car used. If so and the lock hasn't worked since you bought it, then the lock could have been replaced and of course the lock core didn't match your master key so of course it won't open. But if either case, the lock stoped turning with your key in it to unlock the trunk, then the core some how went bad. You might have to replace the lock and mechanism and "key" the new core to match the key you have to start the car. It seems like the mechanism may also be bad because you said the trunk sometimes open with the popper and sometimes, like now it doesn't work. I'll assume you know the rest. Have you tried lubricating the key hole?

Sorry I'm out of ideas other than replacement
Old 06-05-2004, 09:47 AM

Go to the mechanic, replace the lock cylinder and get a new cylinder with a matching key. Forget about the remote trunk release lever because that appears to be problematic. You may get a better deal from a locksmith instead of a mechanic. Just my.02.