General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

heard of photoblocker? my review...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:35 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

heard of photoblocker? my review...

so 2 of my friends got caught speeding somewhere by photo radar. A post came up on DTM power identifying the vehicle used to catch ppl in our area.... it was a white nissan quest. Damn, the pics don't work anymore so I can't show it... posted it in off-topic a long time ago.

anyways, they heard about the photoblocker and after visiting the website (http://www.phantomplate.com), they were sold. They had videos of news clips talking about this product and how it worked... I ordered it for them like 4 months ago and finally got the time to try it a couple days ago. The stuff took 2 weeks to ship because they're somewhere in Europe.

after using half the can on my friend's plate..... it seemed we bought a $30 can of clearcoat!

before:

after

man my friend was ****ed , it actually made the plate look more clear! Anyways, i kept the rest of it.... i'm going to apply it so I can get a glossy effect on my plate to match my black paint after detailing it lol.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:28 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Heres a good tactic, try not running red lights and speeding....

Yea I said it,,,,, Flame on!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by slammed95
You could just use a CF plate like I've been doing for almost a year. Never been pulled over for it, and it protects against more than just cameras.
got pics?
Old 04-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

most of that sh*t (spray-blocker & plate shields) is bogus; besides, most/all of those products will be illegal soon enuff, so don't waste your time/money.

Plus, any human (vs. robot) policeman/woman can pull you over & ticket you for obscuring your license plate (i.e. make it hard/impossible to read). So how much is it worth to you to both buy the product that's supposed to "protect" you from photocams & fight or pay a ticket for license plate tampering?

However, I do have some good news: No, not what you think...f*ck Geico! Consider getting a vanity plate with ambiguous spelling with numerals instead of letters. My license plate is personalized and it has a "1" in it where normally an "I" would go. I've been flashed/photoed numerous times at red lights, and have yet to get a ticket in the mail. Same goes for parking tickets...it's 50/50 whether the metermaid/man will record my license plate correctly. One drawback is that the person who has the license plate nearly identical to mine ("I" vs. "1") has outstanding warrants ...local cops have pulled me over several times thinking I was that guy because they ran my tags incorrectly.

just my $.03...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:53 PM

I remember the news doing a review of products for the plate, for blocking photoradar. Those pictures are mostly taken at angles right? The one product that worked was a license plate cover if I remember correctly.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:16 PM

I've heard about those things, especially plate cover that are smoked. It's illegal in some states, like here in NM you can get pulled over and get a citation for it.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
V^___^V

nadir stop speeding!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:24 PM

Heres some advise!
Dont speed and dont pass red lights and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:58 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

yeah yeah yeah fools

tell me something i don't already know. Btw, i didn't get a ticket for it.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:05 AM

When photo-ticketers first became popular a few years ago, a company was producing a clear plastic film that you would place over only the license plate #'s. When you looked at the license plate from different angles excluding from directly behind the car, the license plate # would become blurred. This actually worked very well, and almost all of my friends were using them for about 6 months, and then each one of them got seriously fined for using them. They are highly illegal and I do not recommend using them.

- Kirk
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 AM

Yeah

The spray only works at night so as to over expose the picture from the reflection of the flash.

I have one of those clear plastic covers that obscures the plate numbers and letters but 6 months later MD and DC outlawed them. Now it's illegal to have anything to cover you plate in DC and in MD you can't have anything obscuring the plate from any angle.

Originally Posted by nadir_s
so 2 of my friends got caught speeding somewhere by photo radar. A post came up on DTM power identifying the vehicle used to catch ppl in our area.... it was a white nissan quest. Damn, the pics don't work anymore so I can't show it... posted it in off-topic a long time ago.

anyways, they heard about the photoblocker and after visiting the website (http://www.phantomplate.com), they were sold. They had videos of news clips talking about this product and how it worked... I ordered it for them like 4 months ago and finally got the time to try it a couple days ago. The stuff took 2 weeks to ship because they're somewhere in Europe.

after using half the can on my friend's plate..... it seemed we bought a $30 can of clearcoat!

before:

after

man my friend was ****ed , it actually made the plate look more clear! Anyways, i kept the rest of it.... i'm going to apply it so I can get a glossy effect on my plate to match my black paint after detailing it lol.