General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RPM's dont move

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

RPM's dont move

My rpm's arent moving, car is cutting off on its own. Wondering if i have a bad MAF. It has been a long, exhausting and very aggravating day, not just with car issues but computer, friends, etc.

If anyone can just tell me how I know if my MAF is bad or dieing...

and what causes my RPM's to not move at all. They stay at 0. On my SAFC they move only when i gas then when i let go they drop to 0. I have to rev just so i dont stall in one spot. yea another friggin problem....
Old 05-25-2004, 05:12 PM

Other people might have more info/ideas, but as a last resort, find someone local that'll let you swap the MAF for a minute to see if that's your problem
Old 05-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Other people might have more info/ideas, but as a last resort, find someone local that'll let you swap the MAF for a minute to see if that's your problem

yea but come to think of it, if my MAF was bad, i wouldnt be able to rev past 2500 rpm...and i can. What exactly controls the RPM?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:32 PM
I love lamp.

Since your boosted, how is vacuum looking when this happens? The the level look any lower than normal? It sounds like you could have a vacuum leak that sever enough to cause that. How does the car run when your driving? Laggy? Responsive?
On your SAFC, what is the MAF voltage reading at idle, and at typical cruise? Also, check your charge piping. Make sure nothing is loose. Couplers have a nasty tendency to work loose on their own at times.

S
Old 05-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by maximase86
Since your boosted, how is vacuum looking when this happens? The the level look any lower than normal? It sounds like you could have a vacuum leak that sever enough to cause that. How does the car run when your driving? Laggy? Responsive?
On your SAFC, what is the MAF voltage reading at idle, and at typical cruise? Also, check your charge piping. Make sure nothing is loose. Couplers have a nasty tendency to work loose on their own at times.

S

i wish you had direct connect

my vacuum used to be around -16 to -18. Now its at about -16 to -19. My 90 degree silicone hose came loose right before this happened and I tightened it and now i dont feel any leak. I even went at it once and i got about 8-9 psi which is normal wit the small *** filter i have. I'll check couplers but i dont sense any leaking at all.

What i do sense is my BOV is funny. When i first start car i dont feel ANY air at all. But when i start revving or i drive a little and park, a lot of air starts coming out the BOV. This normally caused my car to stall when i let off gas and put car in neutral but it never f'ed with my rpm needle. Mine is completely dead, no movement at all. Thats what scares me. But what about IACV, anything there that can mess with rpm's?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I love lamp.

Even with revving? Hmmm. It's odd because on S/C kits, the BOV is usually before the MAF, so regardless of the the BOV is doing, the MAF doesn't meter it and there should be no effect at all. Unless you have a setup where your MAF is on the non-charged side of the S/C, then the BOV can cause the car to stall if it vents to atmoshpere. But based on that it leads me to look elsewhere. You said your tach isn't working, but the SAFC is reading RPM's? My first though is to check the CPS. On iansw car, we had this issue where the CPS harness rubbed up against the S/C pulley. This caused it to ground out....only difference is, Ian's car would act kinda like what your talking about, but then it died out completely...we couldn't get it to start. Either way, it'd be worth checking. The harness should be right next to the S/C bracket/ S/C pulley on the timing cover. It should have to wires going to it.

The other thing I would check is the other CPS/crank angle sensor. Oddly, 4th gen's have two...I dunno why, but I guess it's suppose to do something in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, I remember all your clutch problems your having, and I know in order to remove the tranny, you need discconnect and remove this sensor. If you look from under the car...may need to remove your splash shield. Basically it's on the radiator side of the tranny, almost directly below the slave clutch cylinder. There should be a 1 or 2 wire harness going to it. Check to make sure it's plugged in securely, and also bolted in properly. IIRC, it's only held in by one bolt. Also check to make sure the harness clears the fans. I know it runs really close and might hit the blades. Your RPM gauges should be taking info from either of these sensors, though I believe it goes to the ECU first.

Anyhow try those. Also have you gotten a CEL light? If so, have you checked it?

Also you can probably find me on IM, I use mostly MSN, but I'm also on AIM and yahoo. Feel free to IM me if you want. I'll let you know if I'm busy or not....usually I'm not when I'm online.

S
Old 05-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

i have no idea what the CPS is but tomorrow morning i'll look for that. Also you dont seem to be online right now on AIM. I use MSN but i forgot my password since i'm not on my comp (died on me earlier today and gotta fix that situation as well). Anyway, yea the SAFC does read the rpm but only when i'm using gas. Once i let off of the gas, the rpm drops to 0 and i dont mean slowly, i mean instantly. My BOV comes before the MAF as far as air entering the throttle body. BTW, i got my car back from shop (replaced TO bearing) like 3+ days ago and never had this situation. However i did remove the pipe attached to the BOV yesterday and maybe i could have hit or scratched something? I'll check for those things rubbing but they sound so far away from the S/C parts and if the problem didnt happen instantly, why would it happen now? If u do come online, please hit me up.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:44 AM
Sports Button FTW

BTW, just went in car this morning to move it, it starts up fine but rpm gauge is still sitting at 0. I also hear a heavy air sound when my foot is not pressed on the clutch....very loud air sound....
Old 05-26-2004, 05:45 AM

damn mecc it just dont stop ha. i think we have a rpm switch but not sure. i have the nissan tech manual but not with me. i have to go to nissan later today cause like you always something wrong and i'll ask my people there what they think. pm me and give me your nextel link.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:40 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by meccanoble
BTW, just went in car this morning to move it, it starts up fine but rpm gauge is still sitting at 0. I also hear a heavy air sound when my foot is not pressed on the clutch....very loud air sound....
Heavy Air sound? You got a leak somewhere for sure....doesn't explain the tach though. The CPS is a Crank Position Sensor. There is one that runs one of the front bank cam, and there is another that runs off the flywheel. Basically it will tell the ECU where the crank is at for ignition timing, also can tell engine speed, and make julian fries. My bet is one of those is goofed up possibly.

For the air sound, I would removed and reinstall your S/C piping, check all the couplers for cracking/leaks. Another thing you can do is while the car is running...if you can keep it running, take one of the those water bottle sprayers (like a empty, but clean windex bottle), fill it with soap water, and spray the entire s/c piping. Look for bubble forming, or maybe places where water could be sucked in. I'm on MSN right now, but am at work, so I don't have much time. I will be home after 1pm PST, I will hit you up on IM when I get home.

S
Old 05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A faulty maf won't cause the tachometer not to work.

You have an Apexi SAFC, right? Check the wire going to the tach signal. Maybe it became exposed at the splice and is shorting out against the ecu enclosure.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah, good idea. I didn't think of that. We had to redo all the taps on Ian's car when his wasn't reading properly.....that's a lot of fun...:P

S
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM

Meca....with all these problems you are having after S/Cing I'd be crying if it were me....
Old 05-26-2004, 10:59 AM
I love lamp.

Well here's the thing. With a boosted maxima, you will have problems. I've yet to run into one person that is boosted, and has not had a problem, whether it be mechanical, electrical, installation, or tuning. It just goes back to the saying you have to pay to play. Granted, he's had a lot of problems lately....I wouldn't go so far as to say it's out of the ordinary however.

S
Old 05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

Well here's the thing. With a boosted maxima, you will have problems. I've yet to run into one person that is boosted, and has not had a problem, whether it be mechanical, electrical, installation, or tuning. It just goes back to the saying you have to pay to play. Granted, he's had a lot of problems lately....I wouldn't go so far as to say it's out of the ordinary however.

S

dam guys, i'm so happy with all the support i'm getting i'm really about to cry . Thanks to all that have posted, it means a lot, i swear it does.

Today i made a short video clip of what happens when i try to start car. If anyone can host it, please do. Its 24.6 mb and a quicktime file.

Its possible that the ecu wiring could be tampered or messed up cause i lost the cover to the right side of the ecu and maybe the rug rubbed onto it or something. The thing is, i didnt wire it and i dont know what to look for. I'll take a pic and maybe one of u can see what it is?

As much problems as i've had with the S/C, nothing has been more gratifying than going street racing 2 days in a row and on the second day, hearing people whisper things like "yo thats that maxima that was here yesterday, yea the fast one with the turbo" for some reason everyone thinks the only boost out there is turbo, or quick to assume i have it over S/C. I'm mad but i dont put blame on the S/C...i mean tranny issues have been going on before i had my S/C and i havent had any engine issues...or atleast i dont think so. This starting and rpm issue cant be directly linked to S/C. Has something to do with loose wiring or something, who knows. I just wish i was more inclined with this stuff.

Anyway, new focus. Apexi SAFC, someone show me a pic of what i should be looking for please?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

http://www.pmclan.com/Jamsan/car%20problems%20011.MOV

a good good friend of mine hosted this video for me. Please watch and tell me what seems to be the problem...if u can even tell from the video...most likely cant

i show SAFC, BOV and speedometer so u see everything else seems fine except for rpm stuff
Old 05-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

have a few pics of ecu/SAFC area... everything seems fine...i guess i could just have a bad ecu?

i'll check that CPS as well tomorrow morning.

Anyway here's a few pics

looks fine to me...anything i can do to test the ecu to see if its defective?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Sports Button FTW

well i'm stumped, if its not the CPS issue, i dont know what to do...anyone have any other suggestions? should i just go to nissan and have them disect the problem....
Old 05-27-2004, 06:33 AM
Sports Button FTW

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

i tested my new ecu and although it took a LITTLE work for it to start up, car is idling fine and everything is working great...except CEL light is on. Bout to check that then i should be good! WOOT!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 AM
I love lamp.

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. My DSL is down for some reason.

So the new ECU is working? Find out what the CEL is, I wonder if that will tell you what is up. Also is the ECU JWT programmed? Oh yeah, those pics of your wiring look a little scary to me! Wires are all over!

S
Old 05-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Sports Button FTW

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. My DSL is down for some reason.

So the new ECU is working? Find out what the CEL is, I wonder if that will tell you what is up. Also is the ECU JWT programmed? Oh yeah, those pics of your wiring look a little scary to me! Wires are all over!

S

OK, now i'm very confused!!! the old ecu works perfectly!!! I just checked it, no CEL, it starts up perfectly, no issues what so ever!!! maybe the screw was loose since it is exposed? THIS IS CRAZY!!!

I actually wish this old ecu was bad so i definitely knew what the problem was . Well good news is car is working perfectly again . I'm going to go for a test drive....very strange....
Old 05-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Sports Button FTW

BTW, when i hooked up new ecu, CEL light was on and car was a little hard to start. It wasnt smooth, it was like the battery was weak but it wasnt weak...something like taht...i had to actually put gas while starting.

I cut off car few times after taht and it did the same thing...maybe cause car was sitting there for past few days? i seen some brown **** on my rotors lol. i'm happy and confused. could the bad start be cause of bad injectors or injectors about to die? it started fine with old ecu and i'm bout to go for test drive but just questions i'm wondering....
Old 05-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

ok, after test drive, everything seems to be working fine. Not sure why i was having issues, i guess the screw holding harness in could have been a little loose but why would it just loosen by itself if it has been tight all this time? also i'm not sure why i had such a hard start up with new ecu. It was only like the first 2 times i started up that it was difficult. AFter that, no problems except CEL light.

i went at it and got my normal 8 psi (wack a$$ filter). So everything seems to be fine.

Now all i gotta do is fix:

-trunk lid
-sunroof
-small push in by a cart at my job on driver side fender

BTW, i definitely hair movement of air when i let go of clutch pedal. Sounds like i have air in my lines? My shifting seems fine but dont know where that sound is from....
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 AM

THANK GOD! sorry i couldn't get back to you last nite but i was outside when i was talking to you and it was cold. i waited a few then had to get back to work. maybe the harness just came loose or the prongs werent touching properly, but either way thats good. by the way are you going to that june 5 meet.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by C MAX
THANK GOD! sorry i couldn't get back to you last nite but i was outside when i was talking to you and it was cold. i waited a few then had to get back to work. maybe the harness just came loose or the prongs werent touching properly, but either way thats good. by the way are you going to that june 5 meet.

NO DOUBT!!!!

while i'm there, can someone help me fix my sunroof issue?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
NO DOUBT!!!!

while i'm there, can someone help me fix my sunroof issue?
i will try my best to be there. i'd like to see some of the people behind this screen in person. and for anybody who doubted the maxima's ability's will get to feel in person the wrath of c max in a good way, so that when i say something you know i speak the truth. maybe we can have some fun. anyway i'll hit you up on the dc
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I want a ride and some fun but my clutch is bad. Dam stocker cant take a 75 shot.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
I want a ride and some fun but my clutch is bad. Dam stocker cant take a 75 shot.
u still owe me a rematch
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
you would give me one hell of a run with 75 shot. is it dry or wet.
i have the dry system but im only running 30 shot until i get dynod.