General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

pics of my latest mod..... tint removal and new tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

pics of my latest mod..... tint removal and new tint

I had 55% madico tint all around, including windshield. I spent a weekend and removed the back half of the car's tint and then had the bodyshop put in 20% on the back and 35% on the fronts. I left the winshield as-is at 55%. They were nice enough to remove the old tint in the front side windows for me.

I also got our 2nd new-to-the-family 4th gen done with the same % all around. Time to mod this car... already put in a frankencar midpipe.

some pics i took while removing tint:

Basically, on the outside, I sprayed the glass with soapy water and trapped it with a cut up garbage bag... it will absorb the heat and make the glass hotter. On the inside, I did the same thing except used windex (for ammonia) so that it was trapped between the tint and the garbage bag i used inside. I left it like that for an hour and then came back and picked an end with my fingernail... it came off so easy.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Pics afterwards that I took of both cars:

Old 08-23-2004, 10:57 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by nadir_s
looks much better with the tint nadir
Old 08-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats one bad *** beige maxima..
Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
Thats one bad *** beige maxima..
LOL yup, pinstripes and all.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:10 AM

You should consider Swapping your Gold Nissan Emblem with the Chrome Emblem off of the Beige Maxima, I think it will clean up your look and not look so out of place.

JP
Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Need A Light?

Hey nadir....All you did was clean off the surface of both outside and inside of the windshield with soapy water and windex respectively....and heated it up with black garbage bags....and peeled it right off? Its that easy to remove tint from the car?

I have a car with 35% fronts and 20% rears....and I would like to get the 5% limo all around. but the tint shop quoted me 65 dollars extra labor to remove the old tint. And I said "i'll come back later" thinking that there might be a way I can get a friend that knows how to remove tint for free. Is this process really easy? how bout the front two windows? you said you had the shop remove them...why is that? Is the process the same for all 4 windows and the windshield?

Any more input on this subject will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I followed the general instructions that's posted everywhere online.

**make sure it's a sunny day! If you wanna do it, summer time is best.....***

The hardest part is that rear window. From the outside, you spray soapy water and put a garbage bag (cut so it's all flat out) over it. The soapy water is just to allow the garbage bag to "stick" onto the window. This bag, since it's black, will absorb heat and raise the temp. on the glass.

Now, from the inside, you just cover up your rear deck and seats. I used cling-wrap for the speakers on the back just as an extra precaution. Now, you just spray windex on the tint/window. Then, you get another cut up garbage bag and layer it on top of the glass which is soaked with windex. The bag will trap the windex and not let it evaporate.

Let it bake like that for about an hour.

Then, remove those bags off the window and then find the corner of the tint and start picking at it with your fingernail. If the tint was applied professionally, it should be 3-4 strips. You will end up peeling them off easily. The tint has two layers.. be sure that when you are peeling both layers.. you can tell when you do it.

When all the tint has been stripped, there are going to be some peices that have broken and left behind. Also, the window will remain to look blurry because there's a fine layer of adhesive left. Now, what I did was buy a scrub that's window-safe and used windex again to clean the adhesive off. Be careful though, when I was doing it the window was HOT AS HELL.

That pretty much does it for the rear window... as for the side windows, i actually though they were a bit tough if their not in the sun. I just sprayed windex on the tint and tried to trap it with cling wrap. Then I positioned the car so that the sun was facing that window. I let it bake for about half hour then rolled the windows down a bit and started picking at it. They were a ***** because I ran out of sunlight, but finished it up with a hair dryer being blowed from the outside onto the glass so it heated up quickly.

Just gotta finish up with a razor blade on those side windows and you are fine. Keep in mind, that if you do use a razor blade on the rear window, you should not cut the defroster lines.

To tell you the truth, the project took all day... and i was sweating like hell as I was trying to do this. I dunno, the shop charged me like $50 to do just the rear-half and I think i should have just paid it and get it done, but I was hoping instead of giving me a deal on removing the tint, he'd give me a better deal for gettin 2 cars done at the same time. It wasn't too bad, just gotta find a day where you have plenty of time and go for it. good luck!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:55 AM

Looks Great. Good job. I had a bit trouble at the beginning removing my drivers and pass side windows. So I could only imagine the work in removing the rear.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 AM

Great job!

I've been putting off redoing my tint because it seems like a lot of work; but after vieweing what a difference it makes, I'll have to retint my car this weeknd.

My car is completely mismatched: 35% in both front, 20% rear drivers, no tint on rear passengers and awful purple tint on the back. Ugh!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 AM

I need to stop being so lazy and take off the crap tint on mine too. The previous owner tried to tint the windows himself lol.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm so hood

Originally Posted by Snordolio
Great job!

I've been putting off redoing my tint because it seems like a lot of work; but after vieweing what a difference it makes, I'll have to retint my car this weeknd.

My car is completely mismatched: 35% in both front, 20% rear drivers, no tint on rear passengers and awful purple tint on the back. Ugh!

Yeah, sorry about that. At least the fronts are relatively new (and legal) courtesy of Stan Olsen. Just could never spend the money to get the rears redone and finally break from that ungodly purple.

When I took my tint off in my Acura, I waited for a hot, humid day (90+ degs, pretty humid). I let the car sit outside for a while, and removal was easy just picking it off. Cleanup of the adhesive wasn't too bad.

I always left installation up to the pros.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:09 PM
UCF Lexus

= teh win
Old 08-30-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm so hood

Originally Posted by Soul Fly
= teh win
Looks good to me, but it'd last about 2 days here before you got pulled over.

Well, if I, king of tint ticketry, was driving at least.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:20 PM

Damn looks nice!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:07 PM

Wow, good job taking off that tint, sounds like it went fairly easily (thankfully).
The new tint looks real nice.

Time to get that pinstripe off the new max

Oh yeah, so how's the CF hood holding up? Are the hinges doing ok?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it's not the windex that takes off the tint..it's the ammonia that does it. if you spray straight ammonia on it..it'll do the same thing.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:06 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Looks great Nadir. Nice work.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:41 AM
† ErV †

Next time, try to put it on yourself. Heck i change my tint twice a year as it costs me only 20$ in materials.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
Next time, try to put it on yourself. Heck i change my tint twice a year as it costs me only 20$ in materials.
what tint did you use?
do the back glass one piece?

IMO it's worth paying someone to do it correctly.

if you did a decent job and got high quality tint then you wouldn't have to change the tint twice a year.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
... Now, what I did was buy a scrub that's window-safe and used windex again to clean the adhesive off. Be careful though, when I was doing it the window was HOT AS HELL.
Cars look great! This write-up should be pasted in the How-To's. What kind of window safe scrub did you get and where?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
aka UNCDooD

i definitely need to get my windows re tinted. except a little darker this time. I'm thinking 20% all the way around.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by UNCDooD
i definitely need to get my windows re tinted. except a little darker this time. I'm thinking 20% all the way around.
Let me know how long that tint lasts
Old 09-01-2004, 03:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

thanks guys

the safe scrub that I used was from walmart... I forget the brand name, but it was next to the windex. On the package it said that it was safe to use on glass and wouldn't scratch so I just bought it because I didn't feel like goin out to homedepot to look for #00000 fine steel wool.

If you just follow the instructions and the day is sunny, you shouldn't have a problem unless the tint is in really bad shape.

DanNY is right, it's the ammonia that dissolves the adhesive on the tint. I did buy a bottle of pure ammonia for like $0.50 at walmart, but at the same time I bought windex just to see if it would work... paid the extra $2 just for convenience sake and I was worried that if I used pure ammonia, the smell would be too intoxicating. Actually, the windex became like that anyways because it's hot as hell inside as you're trying to positing the garbage bag that goes on top of the tint from the inside of the car.

As for tinting the car yourself... I guess you could do it if you had time, but I got it done professionally cuz of a) lifetime warranty b) save the effort and time. Taking the tint off was enough of a hassle lol.

oh yeha, soulfly, your car looks really good. I wanted to go limo tint on the back but my night vision sucks and the only step up from 5% was 20% so I just went with that (Madico tint). The fronts I was thinking of just leaving the old 50% tint that I had on because Cali law is pretty strict when it comes to tint, but I took the risk and had em swap it with 35%. I'm sure if I get pulled over for speeding or something, they will catch me so I just roll down my windows if I come up next to a cop or something.