General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

*GREAT NEWS* UPRD ECU a success! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 06:54 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hello Boys n Girls--
WOw. what a day. Today is the day!
iF you haven't been keeping up with my news briefs, today was the day that i met up with Robert at Under Pressure Research and Development in Huntington Beach.

I brought along Nabil, who has a 96 5 speed, and i brought my 97 GXE.

We first did a dyno run (NOT DYNOJET, but an in-house CLAYTON dyno that is catered specfically for tuning rather than a pwr measurement)

Nabil went first, and his peak HP was at 176.58 @ 5900 RPM. Note: this reading was around 15 HP LESS than Dynojet's "standard" dyno-ing.
I followed with a peak HP at 175.25 @ 5300 RPM. We both did two runs, and then it was off to the ECU programming.

Nabil's 96 was stripped of it's ECU and then given to the hands of UPRD's ECU engineer, a very very talented Japanese fellow who knows his stuff!!!

After ADVANCING the timing and tweeking the HIGH-END fuel ratios' on the STOCK ECU, the technician then added UPRD's "piggy-back" ecu to the motherboard and then uploaded the program.

what followed blew me away.

We dynoed Nabil's car twice. and twice the reading read:
190 HP @ 5500 RPM. A 16 HP gain on the HIGH END.
Mid-range, the curve jumped to OVER 19 HP. Overall, nearly 30 HP gain past 3000RPMs. woo hoo! ON the test drive the sucker hauls.

Now on the standard Dynojet testing, his car would have put out over 200+ at the wheels! Now that was pretty damn cool.

As for the 97 + maximas, that will have to wait until tomorrow. We ran out of time today to do my car, so i'll have to go back around lunch time for them to test my car.

Here's the scoop. IF YOU WANT AN ECU, then EMAIL ME PLEASE. There will be TWO GROUP DEALS with UPRD.

the first deal is for the ECU itself.
Pricing will begin around $450 for the programming/tuning/chip install.

the second deal is really really nice. It's the TECHTOM MDM-100 Digital readout. This reads out vital info (Speed, RPM, timing, air flow, o2 sensor, engine temp, INTAKE TEMP, idle switch, power steering switch, battery voltage, etc)
This back-lit display can be custom fit into a DIN inside the car and it simply plugs into where the fuse box is inside the car! Pricing will be around $350.

The super grp deal is getting BOTH the Techtom & the UPRD ECU for around $730ish.. which is the LIST PRICE of the Jim Wolf ECU ALONE!!!

more details will be posted as soon as i get them,
stay tuned for PART 2 tomorrow for the write up on the 97 install and pictures to follow..

thanks for your interest!

--Cheston

[Edited by Chebosto on 09-26-2000 at 09:03 PM]
Old 09-26-2000, 07:06 PM

for sale?

When are they going for sale?
Old 09-26-2000, 07:10 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

UPRD will start selling this as a GROUP BUY ONLY. we will need at least 20 ppl to get this kind of pricing. the more ppl the merrier.

i say after their accounting gets thru with counting numbers, beginning of next week.

if you want this deal to go thru, tell your friends, family members. EVERYONE who you think might benefit from an ecu.

the cost for the ECU is mainly cuz these ROM boards were CUSTOM MADE for the maxima. most ecus (for civics, etc) is just soldering on one chip. the maxima ecu upgrade that uprd has is a whole mini circuit board stacked onto the car.

this is really really great guys. freakin' 20+ hp and when nabil gets the torque conversion out, i believe almost 25 lbs torque increase in the MID-high ranges!!!
Old 09-26-2000, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya Baby Ya, Your makin me randy baby, YEA!!!

Awesome gains!!!

What Mods does Nabils car currently have installed?

When will they be available?

Who can I call to ask about custom options for Nitrous use?

Thankyaveremuch!!!
Old 09-26-2000, 07:15 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Nabil's car "engine" mods:

Stillen Intake
Stillen Ypipe
Apexi Dunk muffler
Apexi Super Air Fuel Controller (turned OFF on the dyno)

for those who want CUSTOM tuning for your NOS/SC,
that can be done, for an xtra cost, to be determined...
Old 09-26-2000, 07:54 PM

Warranty/Return Policy? I'd be interested, but if there's a problem or I don't notice gains, I'd be pretty pissed
Old 09-26-2000, 08:06 PM

Chesbosto98

read youre mail!
Old 09-26-2000, 08:15 PM

uprd

What year ECU's will the groupbuy include? Warranty/return policy and how long would it take for the reprograming. I live in Hawaii so it would probably take a little bit longer for shipping. I have a '98 GXE automatic. What would be done as far programming the ECU? And last question, can they reprogram the TCU (trans computer) too.
Old 09-26-2000, 08:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How does this affect gas mileage? Does it drop significantly? Also do you know basically what kind of settings and stuff they change to produce this kind of performance? I may be interested once I see the results on the 97
Old 09-26-2000, 09:23 PM

I'd be interested but was wondering from the SC owners

what type of power are you pushing with your AT's? Can a Maxima with upgraded valve body and trans cooler handle a 20hp boost going from 315-320 at the crank up to 340hp? I know that we aren't adding more boost but what do you guys think? Would the Maxima hold up with 20 more hp from this mod or would other things need to be done?

[Edited by jgadlage on 09-26-2000 at 11:28 PM]
Old 09-26-2000, 10:45 PM

Wow...baby that's hot.....

thats like 20 bucks per pony...well more or less...
I want indeed....
but before I make any written commitment,
Chebosto, could you post a graph of the dyno result?
I think that piece of info might actually boost the sale of this ECU.
Btw, could you please reply to my email, I know you are busy and stuff, but I do need some answer to my questions.
Thank you.
Old 09-27-2000, 12:10 AM

dang...I'm getting all excited just thinking about it!!..hehe

Would there be a different chip for A/T & 5speeds?
Old 09-27-2000, 12:38 AM

If you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth

Hey fellas,

Like Cheston said, today was a hella cool day for us two at UPRD. That place was NICE!
And at the end of the day I drove home with my Maxima on steroids. The thing hauls ***.
Anyway, if any of you want to ask me a question or read my posts about the dyno results, you can find me at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/nissanmaxima since I can't possibly keep up with this BBS.

Regards,

--Nabil
Old 09-27-2000, 07:03 AM

TECHTOM MDM-100 Digital readout

Just to let everone know the Techtom MDM-100 does not work in the 99 maxima.

I tried it and it just gave a communication error. I know it works in a 95-97, but I'm not sure about the 98 model.

Those number look very promising. I wonder if it will work for the 99 model since the design of the 99's are different from the 97-98 ecu's.

Blade
Old 09-27-2000, 08:52 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

?

What does a Clayton engine dyno look like. How does it read out the power? The reason I ask is because I know there is some kind of dyno that can be wldly off if the operator doesn't use the correct setup.

If this ECU is for real then I'm in....later (can't afford it right now). I still want to see a Max run on the Dynojet with a before and after since this is the dyno most of us are familiar with.

Dave
Old 09-27-2000, 10:03 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

the clayton dyno is similar to the dyno jet, but the main difference is that the clayton applies a LOAD to the tires.. it's more of a "tuning" dyno. i.e. it takes reading every mph per RPM to see specific power readouts.

a graphical flow chart for the 96 will be up momentarily, and today, i will be going in to test the 97, because we ran out of time yesterday.

the deal will work like this:

1) take out your ecu and ship the damn thing to UPRD.
2) UPRD will add on the daughter card and tweek with timing, etc on the ecu.
3) it'll be computer tested to see if everything is ok. then returned next day... hopefully.

more details later tonite when i get back from UPRD>..
Old 09-27-2000, 10:12 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

UPRD ECU (more info) from SoCalNabil

Hey fellas....

Just got home from a nice evening out with my girlfriend, so on the drive home on the 405, I thought to put this beast through its paces to see what it can do.

Driving impression:
Holy shiesters! this thing moves.. pretty good on high gears at high speeds.
I say this because I can't imagine being able to tell much of a difference in 1st or 2nd gears as they typically wind up too fast to notice much, and where traction is generally
a limiting concern.
But 3rd, and especially 4th at over 3000RPMs, things happen, and they happen fast! It felt so strong pulling through the RPM range that I had to do it again to make sure
I'm not just imagining it to be faster. It IS faster.
5th gear pulls with greater assertiveness even under part throttle.

HP Numbers:
The numbers that Cheston quoted, although are good points of reference, don't quite reflect the magnitude of the gains made. To put it a little more dramatically, the dyno
chart shows a distinct departure/rise of the HP starting at 3000RPMs and going up.
To give you a quick idea, here's the recorded HP numbers for specific RPM points.
RPM Stock HP UPRD HP HP Gain
~4500 142.7 172.8 30.1
~5000 150.3 180.6 30.3
~5400 165.1 189.6 24.5

So as you can see, these gains are quite significant, and the chart itself when viewed with the naked eye is quite impressive. I'll be compiling the numbers I got and posting
them up soon.

Concerns:
No pinging/knocking/detonation detected during dyno runs, test run, and subsequent driving. I'm not terribly concerned about it because the UPRD engineer was quite
conservative in his tweaks. He adjusted the timing from 5-8 degrees, and leaned out the fuel just a tad on the top end.
I gave him the green light to do whatever he wanted with the fuel mixture since I'm able to trim the settings however I want with the S-AFC. Still he chose a good
conservative setting and I'll attempt to bracket that by playing around with the S-AFC later.

Ease of Mod:
This is a solder-it-and-forget-it proposition, so once you put it in, you're pretty much married to it. However, UPRD can undo it if one really needs it out. Otherwise, it is
soldered inside the ECU case on the board itself and completely invisible to the rest of the world.

Misc:
Gas mileage should remain the same if you maintain your normal driving habits.
Also, and this is not gloating by any means, today UPRD settled the CAI vs SI debate once and for all with their comparative dyno runs between Cheston's car and mine,
with the top end power advantage clearly going to the SI. I'll post the specific dyno chart that they printed up just for this comparo.

That's all for now... Stay tuned for more later

--Nabil

Old 09-27-2000, 10:23 AM

So does this offer apply to 96-99 Federal and CAL/NLEV emissions models??
Old 09-27-2000, 10:41 AM

What?! Did you just say the Stillen intake gives more top end power than the CAI?!

I thought the CAI would always be better than the Stillen 'cuz of the cooler air...Sup with that?! Hmm..Maybe I'll keep my Stillen intake afterall....

Originally posted by Chebosto
UPRD ECU (more info) from SoCalNabil

Also, and this is not gloating by any means, today UPRD settled the CAI vs SI debate once and for all with their comparative dyno runs between Cheston's car and mine,
with the top end power advantage clearly going to the SI. I'll post the specific dyno chart that they printed up just for this comparo.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:04 AM

Yeah, but you have to consider that is on the dyno, not in the actual everyday driving where the car is moving... plus the engines weren't probably that hot. The cold air works best in cool weather where it doesn't get any of the heat from the engine. The hood was probably up while doing the dyno so the Stillen Intake would be able to grab some "cooled" air quicker. I personally will always stick to a CAI. Just my .02
Old 09-27-2000, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Yeah, but you have to consider that is on the dyno, not in the actual everyday driving where the car is moving... plus the engines weren't probably that hot. The cold air works best in cool weather where it doesn't get any of the heat from the engine. The hood was probably up while doing the dyno so the Stillen Intake would be able to grab some "cooled" air quicker. I personally will always stick to a CAI. Just my .02
I couldn't of said it better Ants97SE. I'm sure the hoods where open so the SI taking in ambient air probably more air since it's not pulling the from fender than the CAI.
Old 09-27-2000, 11:43 AM

How did you compare one car with a stillen cone and another with the CAI and conclude that the stillen adds more power?

Regardless, I don't care, even if the CAI didn't add any power at all I'd still buy one because of the sound
Old 09-27-2000, 09:12 PM
Kato

Got a few more questions....

Although the tweaks made were awfully conservative, will the ECU still retard timing automatically if pinging and knocking did occur? What would the return policy be on something like this? Is there a difference between the federal and Cali emissions ECUs? How about the difference between 5 speed and automatic ECUs? And finally, would this work for the 99's since Blade did say that the Techtom does not work for them? Keep in mind that I'm assuming that the Techtom gets its info through the ECU. Wow, that's a lot of questions....

Old 09-27-2000, 11:14 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

DAy two was scrubbed due to missing 96 ECU for me to test. $%@!%@

here's the low down on pricing.

20 units= $475
20-30 units=$450
30 or more or with MDM purch = $425
MDM is $435 MSRP
For this GP we can do $360 with ground shipping if they buy ECU.

as for the ECU working on 97 above, it looks like a complete core swap.

it does not matter for auto or stick.

more details soon..

Old 09-28-2000, 04:31 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Link to check out the MDM? n/m

Old 09-28-2000, 05:18 AM

Wow that is quite impressive. How much was Jim Wolf able to get outta their ecu?

I'd bet this is were Nissan got alot of their 220hp for the 2000. How about torque numbers?

I also can't help but wonder about the draw backs?
Old 09-28-2000, 09:02 AM
The missing moderator

Are all 97+ ECUs the same? what about automatics? Can we adjust a few other things as well? Such as holding shifts a little longer, raising redling to 7000rpm, etc?

Also, I'd like to see a dyno chart. please.

I am considering this mod right now. So put me down as a maybe please, leaning towards yes... pending on some dyno charts.

I am just kind worried that the 98's will work different... it'd be nice to also have a auto try it out.

Thanks,
-Shing
Old 09-28-2000, 10:37 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

95/96s are confirmed as a "go" somewhat.

i'm waiting for 97+ compatibility.

as for tranny, it shouldn't matter.. the shift points are controlled by the tranny computer, not the ecu, but i'll try to get it clarified.

it looks as if 97+ will be core swapping with 96...

so..

but i'll keep everyone posted .

as for dyno chart. nabil is getting it ready..
Old 09-28-2000, 01:30 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Cheston,
By core swapping with 96, do you mean the whole BCM or just the chip that has all the fuel/ignition mappings. If it's the whole BCM, that's going to be tough matching up all the options. Anyone out in the SoCal area have a 1999 Cali-spec. that wants an ECU? Do you think UPRD can take a look at one just to make sure it will work?

Originally posted by Chebosto

it looks as if 97+ will be core swapping with 96...

so..

but i'll keep everyone posted .

as for dyno chart. nabil is getting it ready..
Old 09-28-2000, 03:00 PM

Do you have to switch over to 91 octane or higher
gasoline? And will it impact smog testing?
Old 09-28-2000, 05:42 PM

Oh, my car hasn't been fed with anything less than 93.
I was just curious if UPRD optimize for a higher octane.