General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Phantom Grip LSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Phantom Grip LSD

Hey guys/gals,

I was wondering if any of you in the forum have used or are currently using this LSD : http://www.phantomgrip.com/

Im thinking of putting this on my automatic maxima, and was wanting some thoughts on this product. Does it work/Not work? Advantages/Disadvantages vs Quaife/Kaaz? Looks good to me but wanting some ideas or suggestions before i start to spend money on this.

Thanx

Old 09-23-2004, 07:15 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

try pm-ing shadow. Evolution autodesign makes an lsd. They're tech used to work for phantom grip. They are the only ones that use cryo-treated clutches.

I wouldn't go with phantom grip at all.
Steve
Old 09-23-2004, 07:16 AM

plus, why are you getting an lsd? it probably wont make a difference unless youre boosted.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it rains alot here in Houston, roads get slick...didnt have the option for an vlsd or a hlsd on my year maxima. Might add it to the 04 max i have in bout a few years time since on the auto 04 max dont have tcs or vcd and i wanna boost the 96 and the 04 or another option is supercharger. So i would like to get as much traction as possible. Thanx for all the help. Any one else with suggestions out there????
Old 09-23-2004, 12:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with the design of the Phantom Grip itself per se. It's the fact that you're supposed to put it into your factory differential. That's where the problems come in. It's almost impossible for the Phantom Grip unit to fail, it's very simple. It's always something in the factory diff that goes.

The differentials we make are honestly pretty similar to the Phantom Grip. But we do cryo treat everything, and replace several parts with stronger parts. So far, no failures, knock on wood. There are some pretty high hp Maximas using our LSD right now, one is at 400 whp, I'm at 300 whp, and the rest are all boosted also.

Quaife and Kaaz aren't options at least right now. Cattman isn't bringing in the Quaife's anymore and has sold the last one. Unless someone wants to pony up the money to buy 30 of them at a time, they won't be available. And I don't think the Kaaz is made for us yet. I know there was some interest in getting them.

Slight correction, my engineer never worked for Phantom Grip. Just very closely with them as they basically pioneered this type of LSD. He worked for a company that built all the LSD's for Vitek Performance who supplied them to Stillen.

Originally Posted by 96Maxima_Racer
Hey guys/gals,

I was wondering if any of you in the forum have used or are currently using this LSD : http://www.phantomgrip.com/

Im thinking of putting this on my automatic maxima, and was wanting some thoughts on this product. Does it work/Not work? Advantages/Disadvantages vs Quaife/Kaaz? Looks good to me but wanting some ideas or suggestions before i start to spend money on this.

Thanx

Old 09-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Shadow
There's nothing wrong with the design of the Phantom Grip itself per se. It's the fact that you're supposed to put it into your factory differential. That's where the problems come in. It's almost impossible for the Phantom Grip unit to fail, it's very simple. It's always something in the factory diff that goes.

The differentials we make are honestly pretty similar to the Phantom Grip. But we do cryo treat everything, and replace several parts with stronger parts. So far, no failures, knock on wood. There are some pretty high hp Maximas using our LSD right now, one is at 400 whp, I'm at 300 whp, and the rest are all boosted also.

Quaife and Kaaz aren't options at least right now. Cattman isn't bringing in the Quaife's anymore and has sold the last one. Unless someone wants to pony up the money to buy 30 of them at a time, they won't be available. And I don't think the Kaaz is made for us yet. I know there was some interest in getting them.

Slight correction, my engineer never worked for Phantom Grip. Just very closely with them as they basically pioneered this type of LSD. He worked for a company that built all the LSD's for Vitek Performance who supplied them to Stillen.
I was wondering, how much the unit would cost and if you are or have made/making one for the 04-05 Maxima? Im instrested in this due to wanting better traction, in wet/dry weather. IM me or send me some info on this please via e-mail: Rza1_77049@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 07:38 AM

sorry shadow, i just heard about your product and have considered purchasing it myself.

I'm a strong believer in research before you purchase anything.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:12 AM

No problem, it was confusing enough to me.

I believe in researching everything also. It's why we even make the LSD.

Originally Posted by slimer
sorry shadow, i just heard about your product and have considered purchasing it myself.

I'm a strong believer in research before you purchase anything.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much is the lsd shadow? Its for an automatic right?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 AM

Yes, auto, i believe it was $895 when it was last quoted
Old 09-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slimer
Yes, auto, i believe it was $895 when it was last quoted

Is there any way that you have this up on the website so i can see it Shadow? How hard is it to install this, or should I have a professional do it? Thanx for your input.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Hooooooonda.....

From what I read online and magazines the phantom grip LSD is great, they almost never fail. I said this at the beginning of the year and someone posted that they had one installed and the thing didn't even fit unless they ground it down. Then he said the spider gears started shearing. Since then everyone is saying that the one for the max is **** and to stay away from them. I had no choice to agree and when I did of course I got crap from other members. Now reading what shadow wrote I know it's a good product.