General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Turbo SR20 owner buying a MAX, any suggestions/tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo SR20 owner buying a MAX, any suggestions/tips?

I currently have a turbo'd Sentra and am not sure if I am going to sell it or keep it but either way I am needing to buy a Maxima. I used to sell them back in 98-99 but haven't kept up on them lately.

This is what I am looking for: I would like to spend $9-10K at the very most. $7-8K would be better range for me to get a lower car payment. If I was to find a 5 spd that would be ok and so would an auto.

I know I want a SE but what year I am not sure. While I am out searching is there anything I should be looking for? I know what to look for in a Sentra (5th gear pop-out) and certain rust areas but am new to the Max world. Any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated. TIA
Old 10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Lightly modded

Well, if you plan on spending any of that money on mods, a 4th gen (95-99) would be best for you. I'm not sure what 5th gens are going for, but I doubt you could get a nice 5th gen for that price. Check the FAQs for more basic info on the cars...

Things to watch out for-
synchros on 4th gen 5 speed tranny/weak tranny
knock sensor
alternator
Old 10-09-2004, 12:02 PM
VIP Maxima

get a fully loaded 5spd 98 se

Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 PM

97 5-spd SE

I dont know what to tell you to look out for since our cars are perfect in every way lol j/k..

Yeah some 5spd trannys have differental bearing problems, also the 99's experience coil pack failures...

95/96 have a different frontend and trunk/lights..

KS failure is all too common after about 90K or so they usally fail but dont throw a CEL, you have to check it manually.. Thats not a big deal since there only about $90 on ebay..

Good luck..
Old 10-09-2004, 12:15 PM

I was thinking 4th gen would fit my budget great. When I get the car all I really want to do it some suspension work, and maybe some bolt ons and wheels. If I keep my Sentra that will be the car for going fast and the Max will be the clean cruiser.

I know all about weak trannies in Nissans. I am currently installing my 3rd tranny in my se-r.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by SR20RACER
I was thinking 4th gen would fit my budget great. When I get the car all I really want to do it some suspension work, and maybe some bolt ons and wheels. If I keep my Sentra that will be the car for going fast and the Max will be the clean cruiser.

I know all about weak trannies in Nissans. I am currently installing my 3rd tranny in my se-r.

How fast is your sentra... might wanna swap duties of the two hehe jk

Anyways if you are interesting in modding then a 4th gen is the way to go, and as far as looks go the 97-99 are my favorites even though I own a 96. 99s require some rewiring of the ECU harness if you wish to get an ECU upgrade from the likes of JWT or TS. You can get a 4th gen into the 13s with boltons if you can drive.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
How fast is your sentra... might wanna swap duties of the two hehe jk

Anyways if you are interesting in modding then a 4th gen is the way to go, and as far as looks go the 97-99 are my favorites even though I own a 96. 99s require some rewiring of the ECU harness if you wish to get an ECU upgrade from the likes of JWT or TS. You can get a 4th gen into the 13s with boltons if you can drive.

My car is a low 13 second car (high 12's with $700 more invested) I can post a link to a video of me racing a couple of cars including a Cobra,VR4 and others. (racing is on street)

I just want this car for my girlfreind really, right now she has a 2001 Civic and I hate that thing. While it runs great and it good on gas we need a 4 door (baby coming) and I want her to be in a Nissan.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:26 PM
SLOW

Yeah Maxima > Civic almost any day of the week. Max is a good choice.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:31 PM

if you consider the 5th gens...

2000 5-speed has a supposedly stronger tranny over the 4th gen, although it's mostly the same as the 4th gen tranny.

Coil-pack failures seem to come as a hangover from the '99 4th gens... mainly only 2000-2001s

2000 MAF sensors sometimes go out, although it's not as nearly a problem as the 2k2 (5.5th gen, 3.5L). When the dealer does replace the MAF with the updated part#, they supposedly flash the ECU with different parameters for the new MAF. I am pretty sure some org members have installed the updated MAF w/o updating the ECU, so I doubt that's strictly necessary. I think the 2001 is where they started using a better MAF sensor.

VIAS (variable intake) control actuator has a defect in the metal cup which rotates the Power Valve, although it's fixable with JB-Weld. This only affects 2000-2001 to the best of my knowledge, since the 2002-2003 uses the 3.5L engine with a different manifold design.

There's a TSB which may or may not be already applied to a vehicle you buy called the "Fuel Cut TSB." It refers to a software piece in the ECU which was meant for the automatic, but mistakenly not removed in the manual version. This causes a situation where, in stop'n'go driving while driving in 1st or 2nd gear at <1800 RPM at very light throttle, you may feel the car jerk backwards, which usually causes your right foot to hit the accelerator pedal, which triggers something else that makes the car lurch forward REALLY hard. It's annoying as hell, and I need to take mine into the dealer to have the update installed. Again, 2000-2001(?) only.

O2 sensors and SES light -- I think there's a TSB with an ECU update for this. Basically the ECU is a little too stringent on the post-cat O2 sensors' range of inputs, so it throws a code saying the catalyst efficiency is too low. I think this was already done on mine, 'cause I've never had the SES light turn on due to the O2 sensors. I think this is a 2000-only issue?

Brakes -- The 5th gens warp rotors like it's nobody's business. The heavier chassis combined with rather small pads and rotors is ridiculous. Many owners have repeated chronic brake warpage, where the rotors warp within 20000 miles without fail. I am one of those. However I am starting to consider that my wheel bearings may be the culprit...

Wheel bearings -- I know from talking with Matt Blehm (Matt93SE) and reading other threads in 5th gen that this is becoming a common problem. Plus I talked to DAVEB one time and he mentioned they had plenty of wheel bearings and spindles in stock, so Nissan might even know this is becoming a frequent problem. The wheel bearings, probably the fronts especially, seem to go bad, or at least more often than I'd expect of any vehicle.

Struts -- The stock struts are crap. I think that goes with a lot of vehicles, though. The Tokico Illumina (5-way adjustable) struts are available for these cars, along with a number of coilover systems and other aftermarket struts. Aftermarket springs are widely available too. I think some things (such as springs?) are identical to the 4th gens, but the struts are not (differences in the upper strut mounts on the rear I think??)

BOSE sound system -- there are possibly a number of defects with the BOSE sound system, specifically the headunit, that I've heard of with 5th gens. If you're going to swap it out with an aftermarket sound system, you can soundly ignore this item.

Issues the 5th gens DON'T generally suffer-
Knock sensor -- I hear a lot of 4th gen owners mentioning their knock sensors going bad... I don't think I've ever heard of a 5th gen owner mentioning this.

Note that this list might seem daunting, but bear in mind that it's only the elaborate details I'm giving... I'm sure you could go into more detail with other gens' flaws.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:48 PM
VIP Maxima

looks like we need to show this guy a few pics of souped up max's

and then in no time the sentra be up for sale so he can invest some serious cash in the max

on a serious note however, u'd still end up spending about 5 grand in the max, trust me. u might wanna get D2 coilovers, fstb, rsb ($1000), stillen bodykit (around a grand), a decent set of 19" (about 2 grands), intake, y pipe and catback, clear lights for front and back and a pair of HID's (around a grand here too).

and if thats where u wanna stop (which i highly doubt), u already have cashed out 5 grand and u have plenty of mods left over to do. as u may know, modding is very addictive.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:57 PM

you should also consider a 92-94 5speed SE, the later 3rd gens with the VE DOHC motor. Performancewise, theyre mostly on par with the 4th gens VQ but with the benefit of a variable intake, and variable valve timing.

the only downside is the fact that your gonna have a hard time finding a decent one with fair mileage, so id keep the 4th gens in mind
Old 10-11-2004, 09:28 AM

Jason,
when I come down for that meet we can let your lady try out the big black max. In that price range may I suggest a 4th gen. I have seen quite a few of these in that price range, and they can look quite nice. You really need to get her out of that Honda camp, think of what that will do to your kid.

Paulb
Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Boosted Panda

Ive seen a vid of that sentra on another forum. Cant remeber where though. That sucker is FAST. I think the vid I sa was against a cobra and he murdered it.
With the weight of that sentra and the power its making, it would be hard for a 4th gen maxima to beat it. It would definatly need every bolt on available including boost.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maximan190
you should also consider a 92-94 5speed SE, the later 3rd gens with the VE DOHC motor. Performancewise, theyre mostly on par with the 4th gens VQ but with the benefit of a variable intake, and variable valve timing.

the only downside is the fact that your gonna have a hard time finding a decent one with fair mileage, so id keep the 4th gens in mind
Yea, definetly keep the 3rd gen in mind, but if you can't get a 5-spd, or can't get one with low mileage, just go 4th gen. the auto trannys in 3rd gens really suck. Make sure if you do go 3rd gen, that it is 92-94 SE, otherwise, it aint too fast, unless you turbo it.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:53 PM

heard 95 5spd se are supposta be the fastest year and 97 se is the second fastest.dont know if this is true or not,but thats what i hear.also hear that 99's have all kinds of problems.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:42 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Kta920
heard 95 5spd se are supposta be the fastest year and 97 se is the second fastest.dont know if this is true or not,but thats what i hear.also hear that 99's have all kinds of problems.

It's not true.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 PM

...shows not to believe everything you hear
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by elgrande2003se
Jason,
when I come down for that meet we can let your lady try out the big black max.
Paulb

What meet are you talking about?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:04 PM

I am still searching locally for a clean MAX. I had to go to Seattle from Utah to get my current se-r and would rather not travel out of state to get another car. Here is the link to my little vid:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....07#post3277507
Old 10-11-2004, 04:13 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
looks like we need to show this guy a few pics of souped up max's

and then in no time the sentra be up for sale so he can invest some serious cash in the max
lol..a turbo SE-R will own any S/C max. guys are getting 250+ WHP on a little T25 and running mid low 12s. and, that little t25 kit only costs like 2K. lol i wont mention the big dogs who run low 11 or high 10s

Old 10-11-2004, 07:53 PM

97 SE is the best choice
Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 PM

Problems in my 99 have only been the coilpacks. I have an SE Limited which gets all of the cues of the 4th gen with a few other added benefits. In the limited, you get heated seats, side airbags, traction control, and ABS... I think your girl would like all the stuff on it. Also, for your price range it is a nice car. You have a baby on the way, and safety is #1... I am not sure that adding tons of muffler (loud) stuff would be best for a baby. Also, the loudness is not good for their ears. Good choice swapping civic for Max... you are a good man.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM

I have found one locally that has 106K on the motor. I know the VQ is a great engine but I am still leary of the mileage. I beat the **** out of 120K SR and it runs great, but it is blows I don't care. The Max is a different story as it will be a daily driver for my girlfriend. Can I assume if the motor has been taken care of that the 106K isn't an issue?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:34 AM
SLOW

The fastest N/A 4th gen on this board has 164k on his motor, about 275 1/4 mile passes on it between 111k and now, and about half of those passes are on slicks. The motor will be just fine.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

You know Nissans if you have a Sentra. Just common sense is the best thing needed.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:49 PM

A good friend of mine has a turbo'd sentra and he loves that thing to death. I think a Maxima is going to be too much car for you. Why not get a newer SE-R or something like that? I mean for that price range you could get a 2000+ w/ very low miles. Plus your familiar with that car/engine.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:56 PM

Jeff92SE, I do know Nissans pretty well but I don't know every design/part flaw that every Nissan has. I would of had no clue about some of the problems that Max's have that Spirilis pointed out.

Hamy: BLEH, are you high? Have you seen a 2000+ Sentra? Why would you think the Max is too much car for me? This car is primarily for my girlfirend and I will drive it occasionaly. If anything the Max I get will be MUCH slower then my Sentra and the only thing I have to get used to is the extra size/weight of a Max.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:45 PM

Jeff92SE, I do know Nissans pretty well but I don't know every design/part flaw that every Nissan has. I would of had no clue about some of the problems that Max's have that Spirilis pointed out.

Hamy: BLEH, are you high? Have you seen a 2000+ Sentra? Why would you think the Max is too much car for me? This car is primarily for my girlfirend and I will drive it occasionaly. If anything the Max I get will be MUCH slower then my Sentra and the only thing I have to get used to is the extra size/weight of a Max.
Sup Jason, the maxima will make a great car for your GF. I would recommend looking at the 97-99 SE. Great car and if your lucky you can find a 99 SE-L in Crimson Red

My little red SER will join yours in the boosted ranks here soon. Clutch, flywheel and cams are in the works now along with a new PS system
Old 03-25-2005, 12:22 PM

TTT, it's been a while and since we have had our baby. I have upped my spending price to about $15000 or so. This puts me in the 2002 SE range. I am having the hardest time finding a clean one locally. Anything out of the ordinary to look for in an 02?

PS: Here is a clip of me at 10PSI on a dinky T25 versus an EVO with 3" turboback exhaust, high flow cat, and drop in filter.

(Vid deleted due to content)
Old 03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Boosted Panda

TTT, it's been a while and since we have had our baby. I have upped my spending price to about $15000 or so. This puts me in the 2002 SE range. I am having the hardest time finding a clean one locally. Anything out of the ordinary to look for in an 02?

PS: Here is a clip of me at 10PSI on a dinky T25 versus an EVO with 3" turboback exhaust, high flow cat, and drop in filter.

Nice vid, got any more?
What was the deal the the laws at the end?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
Nice vid, got any more?
What was the deal the the laws at the end?
I do have some more, wasn't sure if it is ok on this forum. The Cops were called later on that night when a "complaint" was called in on us when about 8 of us were cruising. The cop called the guy who complained and asked if he was willing to come to court and testify againt the 9 guys we had there. He never showed up and we all got "reckless driving" warnings. **We all were drving the speed limit and one guy even had two of his kids in the car, we were not doing anything wrong**

Back to the topic..........Anything odd to look for in an 02 Max?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:27 PM
OG and counting...

Definitely make sure that all TSBs have been done. The main one is the hood vibration after 65 mph.
2002 Maxes are prone to rotor warpage as well. I have barbecued my front rotors on normal daily driving. HID theft is also common in certain areas of the country.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:20 PM

just find a solid 4th gen, i saw mine and couldn't pass it up

really aim for 95-99 since they are all quality cars and 100K is nothing they keep going for miles and miles
Old 03-27-2005, 04:44 PM
SLOW

For $15k you could get a clean low mileage 98 and then drop about $8k of the $15k on a really nice turbo setup
Old 03-27-2005, 06:21 PM

^^^This is true but I already have a turbo car for my go fast duties. I want a reliable daily driver with some power. This will be my wifes car, I can't have downtime in it at all. I know what it takes to turbo a car and to maintain it and it is ALOT more work then what I want for this Maxima.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Eh, get a Maxima in a tuxedo, get an I30, they aren't much more
Old 04-04-2005, 09:33 PM

Well I picked up a 02 SE,(Car in sig) it is the nicest car I have ever owned. Leather,heated seats, roof etc. I already am ordering the RTP slotted rotors and Axxis Ultimate pads for the front and am looking into some springs to get rid of the 10" fender gap.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Hey congrats on the new Maxima. Great color if I do say so myself What kind of price did you get her for?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Hey congrats on the new Maxima. Great color if I do say so myself What kind of price did you get her for?
Thanks, LOL *I bought the car for $15,100.*
Old 04-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Boosted Panda

Thanks, LOL *I bought the car for $15,100.*

Sounds like you got a nice ride.
Its good to hear your happy with it.
Good luck with it.