General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OT: Smoked a GTP

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 11:32 PM

I was out driving my dads 330i steptronic today. It was nice out in Chicago, so i was rolling with the windows down. I come up to a stoplight and see a newer silver GTP coupe pullup to the left of me. I saw a cop ahead at the head of the light going the other way so i slowly accelerated to 30. Right as i hit 30 i hear the GTP downshift and its engine roar, so i pushed the kickdown switch and let it rip. It wasnt even close, from 30-100 i beat this guy by an easy 4 carlengths. We both had the 2 passengers and i had a full tank of gas too. The moral of the story in my opinion is that a 5 speed Max will beat a GTP without a doubt.
Old 04-14-2001, 11:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well, here are some GTP times I found...

not too impressive until '98, I suppose the '98 is when it got the SC. but 13.4 stock seems kinda fishy, anybody have any idea if its accurate!?

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (auto) 8.4 16.3
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 6.6 15.0
1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GTP 4.9 13.4

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
I was out driving my dads 330i steptronic today. It was nice out in Chicago, so i was rolling with the windows down. I come up to a stoplight and see a newer silver GTP coupe pullup to the left of me. I saw a cop ahead at the head of the light going the other way so i slowly accelerated to 30. Right as i hit 30 i hear the GTP downshift and its engine roar, so i pushed the kickdown switch and let it rip. It wasnt even close, from 30-100 i beat this guy by an easy 4 carlengths. We both had the 2 passengers and i had a full tank of gas too. The moral of the story in my opinion is that a 5 speed Max will beat a GTP without a doubt.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:34 AM

Re: Well, here are some GTP times I found...

Originally posted by DA-MAX
not too impressive until '98, I suppose the '98 is when it got the SC. but 13.4 stock seems kinda fishy, anybody have any idea if its accurate!?

That '98 spec is SOOOO not accurate. the only difference between a '97 GTP and a '98 GTP is that there were different paint colors offered...both have the EXACT same engine. GTPs normally run high 6s 0-60 and low 15s in the quarter...stock. and yes, with driver skill aside...a 5-speed max will beat a GTP.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I knew that was knida strange...

what about the newer models? At one time I was hearing that the SCs run in the 14's!? that sounds a little more reasonable...

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

That '98 spec is SOOOO not accurate. the only difference between a '97 GTP and a '98 GTP is that there were different paint colors offered...both have the EXACT same engine. GTPs normally run high 6s 0-60 and low 15s in the quarter...stock. and yes, with driver skill aside...a 5-speed max will beat a GTP.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Well let me say first hand.. we here are also victims of the .. "some cars from the factory same year, same model.. are not the same car"

A guy at etown yesterday was running 14.4 in his GTP BONE STOCK.. and it was his frist time drag racing ... pretty cool guy.. I guess the thing about waiting 2 hours to run you get to meet greet and talk with other car enthusiast with the same intrests but different Cars.. it was lots of fun..
Old 04-15-2001, 07:44 AM

14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

I think he was pulling your leg. You got to remember changing the pulley on that car is pretty easy and its cheap. Sure he had a stock exhaust and probably a stock air filter but you would never know about the pulley.
Later:Jose

Originally posted by SprintMax
Well let me say first hand.. we here are also victims of the .. "some cars from the factory same year, same model.. are not the same car"

A guy at etown yesterday was running 14.4 in his GTP BONE STOCK.. and it was his frist time drag racing ... pretty cool guy.. I guess the thing about waiting 2 hours to run you get to meet greet and talk with other car enthusiast with the same intrests but different Cars.. it was lots of fun..
Old 04-15-2001, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

nah for real.. it was bone stock.. he just bought it.. had hardly any miles on it too.. he was talking to this other GTP owner and you could tell he wasn't that knowledgeable about the car.. it was bone stock trust me.. he also ran 15.2 (right lane) and 14.5 (left lane) for some reason the left lane was extra sticky yesterday.. i couldn't run lower than 15's in the right lane but i was kicking out 14.7 and 14.9 in the left lane

Originally posted by Jose
I think he was pulling your leg. You got to remember changing the pulley on that car is pretty easy and its cheap. Sure he had a stock exhaust and probably a stock air filter but you would never know about the pulley.
Later:Jose

Old 04-15-2001, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

nah for real.. it was bone stock.. he just bought it.. had hardly any miles on it too.. he was talking to this other GTP owner and you could tell he wasn't that knowledgeable about the car.. it was bone stock trust me.. he also ran 15.2 (right lane) and 14.5 (left lane) for some reason the left lane was extra sticky yesterday.. i couldn't run lower than 15's in the right lane but i was kicking out 14.7 and 14.9 in the left lane

I was there as well. This silver GTP was stock. Nothing was even touched on it. It was brand spanking new. I can account for Sprnts 14.7 run and this GTP owner's run of a 14.4. Hey Sprnt.. too bad neither lanes worked for Ant. LoL

GTP Girlie here ran a best of a 14.66 stock. Why is this 14 sec GTP so hard to grasp? They have boost, simple as that. They are damn fast. No i am not standing up for them but i have seen it so i can believe it.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:22 AM

I am still not impressed with GTPs. That one I raced last night was probably stock. I raced a 4 door GTP in the 330i from a stoplight and had 1.5 cars on him by 45 and i shut down cause i was pulling away from him. From a role they have very little to offer. My Maxima will hang with the 330i, so if you have a 5 speed and know how to use it properly, you will smoke a stock GTP. Anyone see any 0-60 and 1/4 times on a auto 330i????
Old 04-15-2001, 09:35 AM
Administrator

no but i have seen a stock 5spd 330 hang with a GS400 at high speeds

also remember that some GTP's run 15's at the track.. so we can chalk it up to driver also .. i know i know.. its an auto.. how much can you mess up .. hahahah.. but funny enough its true.. also what i said before about the cars coming from the factory not all the same
I am still not impressed with GTPs. That one I raced last night was probably stock. I raced a 4 door GTP in the 330i from a stoplight and had 1.5 cars on him by 45 and i shut down cause i was pulling away from him. From a role they have very little to offer. My Maxima will hang with the 330i, so if you have a 5 speed and know how to use it properly, you will smoke a stock GTP. Anyone see any 0-60 and 1/4 times on a auto 330i????
Old 04-15-2001, 11:34 AM

Re: Its not that its hard to grasp that a gtp can run 14s stock->

I haven't seen it but I don't doubt it. but 14.4 seems pretty low for a stock gtp plus a unexperience driver at the track. I don't know about you but when I race someone in the street or on the track and they ask me about my mods I don't tell them everything.
Later:JOSE

Originally posted by Synki

I was there as well. This silver GTP was stock. Nothing was even touched on it. It was brand spanking new. I can account for Sprnts 14.7 run and this GTP owner's run of a 14.4. Hey Sprnt.. too bad neither lanes worked for Ant. LoL

GTP Girlie here ran a best of a 14.66 stock. Why is this 14 sec GTP so hard to grasp? They have boost, simple as that. They are damn fast. No i am not standing up for them but i have seen it so i can believe it.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:39 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

too bad neither lanes worked for Ant. LoL

poor soda boy...what did he run sinclair?
Old 04-15-2001, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

Originally posted by Chris91SE

poor soda boy...what did he run sinclair?
Im not sure if he wants people to know. He also said he doesnt care anymore.

i know he ran a 15.7 and a 16.0 i dont know the other ones. his car wasnt running right as of what we know. not his day i guess. We all know it was sprnt's day and his *new* time. too bad he got worse too.. he started with a 14.7 and ended with a 15.7. hehehe
Old 04-15-2001, 02:05 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

Im not sure if he wants people to know. He also said he doesnt care anymore.

i know he ran a 15.7 and a 16.0 i dont know the other ones. his car wasnt running right as of what we know. not his day i guess. We all know it was sprnt's day and his *new* time. too bad he got worse too.. he started with a 14.7 and ended with a 15.7. hehehe
ouch....sounds like the conditions at the track weren't that nice...
Old 04-15-2001, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 14.4 bone stock highly doubt that->

nah.. its called since i beat brett i decided to cruise down the track

Originally posted by Chris91SE

ouch....sounds like the conditions at the track weren't that nice...
Old 04-15-2001, 08:25 PM

Anyone see any 0-60 and 1/4 times on a auto 330i????
i will guess 15.2.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Well, here are some GTP times I found...

I was in a pretty modded 99 Grand Prix GTP last night. And that thing pulls hard once boost hits. BUT. he ran a best of 13.9 with all his mods. So, the 13.4 is NOT accurate.

ZuM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

Old 04-16-2001, 04:22 PM

Here we go again..

I am still not impressed with GTPs.

I raced a 4 door GTP in the 330i from a stoplight and had 1.5 cars on him by 45

so if you have a 5 speed and know how to use it properly, you will smoke a stock GTP.

You're not impressed with GTP's how? Let me guess, the interior right? You guys have great cars, no doubt about that...the Maxima is a sweet ride. It's better hands down than the GTP in so many ways....except, looks (thats a draw), out of the box performance (WAAAAAAY more GTP's in the 14's stock than Maximas), and modability (thats a no-brainer).

The 330i is a sweet BMW and a car that stock vs. stock will give any GTP or Maxima more than it can handle. But if you put 1.5 cars on a GTP by 45, something doesn't add up there as thats the GTP's strong point.

And as for "smoking" a GTP? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I think Ive got a better idea of what you're smoking. Boy that properly driven 5-speed really gets you guys far doesn't it? Here's an idea....go to the strip and properly drive your 5-speed, I think most of you would be surprised if there were any GTP's running there that day. And dont dismiss low-14 second stock GTP's as BS either, it happens. Alot more than any of you Max guys would like to believe.

Im glad I know I can drop by here when the other forums get slow and find at least one thread of you guys feeling threatened by the GTP. You feel that way for a reason......

Fire away!!

Later,
Old 04-16-2001, 04:36 PM

Re: Here we go again..

Originally posted by GTPguy97

You're not impressed with GTP's how? Let me guess, the interior right? You guys have great cars, no doubt about that...the Maxima is a sweet ride. It's better hands down than the GTP in so many ways....except, looks (thats a draw), out of the box performance (WAAAAAAY more GTP's in the 14's stock than Maximas), and modability (thats a no-brainer).

The 330i is a sweet BMW and a car that stock vs. stock will give any GTP or Maxima more than it can handle. But if you put 1.5 cars on a GTP by 45, something doesn't add up there as thats the GTP's strong point.

And as for "smoking" a GTP? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I think Ive got a better idea of what you're smoking. Boy that properly driven 5-speed really gets you guys far doesn't it? Here's an idea....go to the strip and properly drive your 5-speed, I think most of you would be surprised if there were any GTP's running there that day. And dont dismiss low-14 second stock GTP's as BS either, it happens. Alot more than any of you Max guys would like to believe.

Im glad I know I can drop by here when the other forums get slow and find at least one thread of you guys feeling threatened by the GTP. You feel that way for a reason......

Fire away!!

Later,

Both times i raced GTP's they were in the 330i that isnt even fully broken in yet(3000 miles). I am fully literate and can read the GTP badges on the side. Both times the GTPs were not even a challenge. The 330i is by no ways a low 14s car in auto form. It probably runs 14.8-15.0 at best. Until i see it with my very eyes, i dont believe that GTP's are running low 14s fully stock out of the box. My brother raced a GTP in his 99 Maxima SEL(stock) auto and beat it by 1.5 carlengths from, i believe 40-120. Dont believe it, say whatever you want, but he has 3 passengers that can attest to the same story.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Re: Here we go again..

Choose your words wisely .. there are a couple maxima owners in this thread defending you and your car.. and it is not appreciated if we stand up for you and then you turn around and disrespect us.. to me that is a slap in the face

Fire away!!

Later,
Old 04-16-2001, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: Here we go again..

Choose your words wisely .. there are a couple maxima owners in this thread defending you and your car.. and it is not appreciated if we stand up for you and then you turn around and disrespect us.. to me that is a slap in the face

Yep, i can agree on this. There are a few of us here that have seen this. One is me. I have seen stock GTP's running mid 14's. And i have never doubted that. Just remember that a few owners have have hit 14's on a stock Maxima. One which is MY4DSC. So do please respect some of us here.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:07 AM

OK, choosing wisely...............to the owners who know better, thank you. You know whats up and I know whats up and it's good when you can have a discussion between people who know whats up. To MAX2000JP, you have no clue whats up. An AUTO Max with 4 people in it beating a GTP???? Oh my God, Ive heard it all now. Tell your bro-in-law to take his bad-*** Automatic to a strip and run it, and while you're at it why dont you take your car also......maybe you will both learn something.

I am a CAR lover, and the Max is a hell of a car but I will argue til I turn blue that the GTP is a quicker car. I know some of you could care less, fine. But I do care and at this point in my life I own my car for one reason, speed. And to MAX2000JP and anybody else on here who believes that a Maxima (especially an AUTO!!) can "smoke" a GTP.........get yourself to a strip and be prepared to have your eyes opened. I went 2 Sundays ago and unfortunately there were no Maximas there........I guess I'll have to go on import night sometime. But there were 4 or 5 GTP's there, all modded and running low-14's.

Later,
Old 04-17-2001, 07:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sorry, but I have to agree with Spanky (GTPGuy97). There are tons more GTPs deep into the 14s than Maximas. However, I do think it is VERY rare for a stock GTP to be breaking into the mid 14s stock unless the conditions are amazing. Some of the quickest GTPs seem to run in the northeast and we all know how good the weather is up there to race (high baro pressure, sea level, cold) which makes a significant difference. On the average, most GTPs hit 14.8-15.0s stock while most 5 speed Maxs hit 15.1-15.3, that's the truth.

I've seen plenty of GTPs hit lower 14s at my track, but they are running 3.4 pulleys and I/E. Can I hang with these guys? Nope. Would I pass up a chance to race one? Nope. Do I consider them a threat? Nope, because most pullied GTPs are running within .3 and 2mph of my NA Max. From a roll-on race, I've already shown a couple pullied GTPs taillights. From a stop, it's usually them by 2 cars with me trying to make up ground.

I've raced 3 stock GTPs and I can honestly say it wasn't much of a contest on their part, ESPECIALLY after 50mph. It seems that the 3.5-3.4 pulley significantly increases their topend because the stock GTP goes flat really flat after 70mph.

Dave
Old 04-17-2001, 07:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK, choosing wisely...............to the owners who know better, thank you. You know whats up and I know whats up and it's good when you can have a discussion between people who know whats up.

You still didnt choose correct wording man. Yes, we may be knowledgable of your cars performance but the "you know whats up" thing, and "to the owners who know better". Its not about that. We were just defending your car man and its not because we "KNOW BETTER" its because weve already gone through this discussion billions of times and weve witnessed your cars performance. Basically, Giving you props to your automobile. It wouldve been nice to see you write, "To all that did back our cars up, thanks!" I dont think if you wouldve given us props on your forum and we came on it and was like," Yeah, to all who knows whats up and know better, thanks!" That would seem kinda cocky! Dont you think?! And Im sure some wouldnt like the choice of words. Im not flaming you but the words you still used were more of a cocky tone and not a of a respectable means of just saying, Thanks!
Old 04-17-2001, 04:55 PM

OK, choosing wisely...............to the owners who know better, thank you. You know whats up and I know whats up and it's good when you can have a discussion between people who know whats up. To MAX2000JP, you have no clue whats up. An AUTO Max with 4 people in it beating a GTP???? Oh my God, Ive heard it all now. Tell your bro-in-law to take his bad-*** Automatic to a strip and run it, and while you're at it why dont you take your car also......maybe you will both learn something.

I am a CAR lover, and the Max is a hell of a car but I will argue til I turn blue that the GTP is a quicker car. I know some of you could care less, fine. But I do care and at this point in my life I own my car for one reason, speed. And to MAX2000JP and anybody else on here who believes that a Maxima (especially an AUTO!!) can "smoke" a GTP.........get yourself to a strip and be prepared to have your eyes opened. I went 2 Sundays ago and unfortunately there were no Maximas there........I guess I'll have to go on import night sometime. But there were 4 or 5 GTP's there, all modded and running low-14's.

Later,
I have no clue. My brother has 3 witnesses that said the GTP lost. Why would they lie. One of the people in the car was his friend Greg, who knows a lot about cars. He has a 69 Mustang with over 70k invested into the car. You would think that your car is faster like 4 punks in a GTP thought this weekend. Why would he make up a story like that. I love cars also and would love to meet you at the track. I havent taken my car there yet and would like to see what it runs. Briguymax and I were thinking about going to Rt 66 raceway in early May if u wanna meet us. You have a pulley and im stock, so you should be able to beat me pretty good. As for these stock mid 14's GTPs tell them to show up, when i see them in person running those times i will be a believer.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:11 PM

Later,

I am the driver of the "bad-a**" auto Max that beat a Daytona Edition GTP from 50-120 twice in a matter of minutes. By no means am I saying i would win at the track but I did beat one from the 50mph roll by a couple car lenghts. I also had 3 others in the car who are knowledgable with cars, they just drive M3, Corvette, and 550hp Mustangs. I would trust their word along with mine that the GTP was racing. The GTP is a nice car and is fast off the line but they have little or nothing to offer in 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:25 PM

OK, if you say it and 3 other car experts say it, then I guess it must've happened. Seems very strange to me, but I have heard of factory dud GTP's just as I have heard of the factory freaks. Im not trying to minimze your cars performance as I know they are still quick but a stock GTP is almost 1 second faster than your car. And for you to beat it by a couple cars does confuse me. Alot is made of the GTP's supposed weakness up top when they are stock, but I didn't really see that great a weakness when my car was stock. Granted it's not as strong as a nice DOHC motor such as the VQ or a Yamaha (SHO...which I owned 2 of), but it's not exactly wimpy either.

To those who said I didn't choose my words wisely:
I see what you mean and I know I come accross as arrogant and cocky, sometimes I cant help that. Its my competitive side shining through, as the great 80's band the Police so aptly put it....."I cant stand losing". Sorry. Thanks for the props!
Later,
Old 04-18-2001, 12:11 AM
SLOW

I've raced a GTP twice...

I've raced GTPs on two occasions. last friday, i raced the same guy 3 times in a matter of 3 minutes or so. 2 times from a slow roll and 1 time from a dead stop. both of the races from a roll i pulled about 1/2 a length and then proceded to about 1 length by 70. from the stop we were dead even all the way to about 60, where we both decided to shut down because we were going by a policed station at 20 mph over the limit. he had his girlfriend in the car (maybe she was real fat... i dunno). i had my subs, amp, coilovers, shocks, toolbox, and new brake rotors in the trunk. so i'd say that the added weight was probably close to even.

the other time was at the track, when i had my civic and was running 15.2s-15.3s. the GTP ran a 14.6, and the guy claimed it was stock. i didnt investigate the matter, cuz frankly i didn't (and still dont) know a whole lot about GTPs or their potential. i just congratulated him and silently fumed knowing he would beat me handily...

So there you have it, thats my side of the GTP issue. so many things can influence a car's 1/4 mile time. i have a friend with an eclipse GSX 5-speed who ran 15.01 when he was bone stock. after getting Intake and exhaust and lowering springs, he ran a 15.7 when we went to the track the second time. his car was faster than my civic, he would run me on the streets when we raced.... but i turned in the better times. another case in point, that same day there was a 4th gen corvette there, he ran a 15.5 and promptly went home. everyone knows a 4th gen corvette is faster than that. so difinitively saying cars that are rather closely matched will have so and so outcome is kinda futile... lots of things can affect the outcome of any race.

Neal