General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hanabi HID kit...yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 09:05 PM
no more maxima...

Hanabi HID kit...yay or nay?

I am thinking of getting this kit. Does anyone here run it or recommend it? Or should I stay away from it?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Always sunny in philly

the kit is crap. Japanese based kits are crap. i had one for 4 months and they burned out.

hidplanet.com
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

I had it over a year and nothing wrong with it.
one of the ballast went dead because of my fault.
but I would say don't get 9004 HIDs.
go for custom projectors.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:49 PM
VIP Maxima

arent hanabi's discontinued ?

Old 11-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Z-max the new Hanabi are better quality. I have the 7000k pair that I love and haven't had a problem with them since I got them about a year ago. But I agree with those above. There are better kits out there and please, if you are going for HID, make/buy a retrofit with projectors. I lowered the hell out of my lights and while they are still 80 times better than halogen, I am not getting the most out of them!

Remember, about 2 years ago, Hanabi were the S hit on the org and everybody was buying them from Freddie so they can't be that bad. I just think technology has advanced and there are better choices. If anything will go bad on the Hanabi's it's the ballasts from what I've read on the org.

Stay away from Mc cullough or what ever those are. Heard WAY too many problems associated with them.

One thing I realize now is that water is HID's enemy. So I wrapped my ballasts in a porous foam wrap that at least keeps a couple of water droplets off of the ballast while still allowing heat to disipate. I think it helps but I haven't heard of other people doing it.

good luck
Old 11-03-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
the kit is crap. Japanese based kits are crap. i had one for 4 months and they burned out.

hidplanet.com
Do you have experiance with all Japanese kits to know this? I'll also bet you that if you bring up the name Catz, people over at hidplanet.com will tell you it's the best aftermarket kit out for halogen replacement.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:54 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by Rowan
Z-max the new Hanabi are better quality. I have the 7000k pair that I love and haven't had a problem with them since I got them about a year ago. But I agree with those above. There are better kits out there and please, if you are going for HID, make/buy a retrofit with projectors. I lowered the hell out of my lights and while they are still 80 times better than halogen, I am not getting the most out of them!

Remember, about 2 years ago, Hanabi were the S hit on the org and everybody was buying them from Freddie so they can't be that bad. I just think technology has advanced and there are better choices. If anything will go bad on the Hanabi's it's the ballasts from what I've read on the org.

Stay away from Mc cullough or what ever those are. Heard WAY too many problems associated with them.

One thing I realize now is that water is HID's enemy. So I wrapped my ballasts in a porous foam wrap that at least keeps a couple of water droplets off of the ballast while still allowing heat to disipate. I think it helps but I haven't heard of other people doing it.

good luck
Do you remember how much Freddie was selling his kits for? Thanks for the tip on wrapping the ballasts...anyone else here do that?
Old 11-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by deezo
Do you have experiance with all Japanese kits to know this? I'll also bet you that if you bring up the name Catz, people over at hidplanet.com will tell you it's the best aftermarket kit out for halogen replacement.

I've had experience w/the hanabi/Z-max kit, but i also did extensive research when hidforums.com was up before purchasing the phillips kit. I agree that the CATZ hi/low kit was extraordinary, but by japanese based kits i was referring to the companies such as hanabi, misterjung, etc.

i've read too many threads about HIDs going bad and almost most of the time its the cheap crap. I'm only here to share my input/experience.

People can do whatever with their money. But I dont want to see a "my HID kit crapped out on me" thread 4 months later.

Freddie was selling his 8000k zmax kits for 375, 8600k for 390.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Ive been running the Hanabi 9004 6,000k purple kit now for over 2years. I had 2 ballasts go out so far (knock on wood!) but i was able to find replacements for them at: www.hid-lights.com and from fellow org members.
But if you dont feel like messing with projectors and making the cefiros fit right on your car then just buy a 9004 kit. The light output wont look anything like a projector but you will sure blow away any other stock HID system on the street, not to mention light up half a block when your driving at night. Just make sure to aim them low enough so you dont blind anyone.

Ant
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 PM

Hanabi sucks.. The ballasts blow evey month
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 PM

I have Hanabi/Zmax hid's, 7000k, had them for more than a year and they work perfectly fine.

I love them.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:39 AM

no problems so far with my zmax 8600k
Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
I've had experience w/the hanabi/Z-max kit, but i also did extensive research when hidforums.com was up before purchasing the phillips kit. I agree that the CATZ hi/low kit was extraordinary, but by japanese based kits i was referring to the companies such as hanabi, misterjung, etc.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most (if not all) far east HID kits are subpar. If I were you, I'd get one with Philips or Hella OEM ballasts. It may cost you $50 or so more, but it'll be worth it. So far, I've gotten two far east kits (Hanabi, Brightstar) and have had 3 problems between the two.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

Originally Posted by Rowan
specifically what problems are mccullough associated with.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 504
Hanabi sucks.. The ballasts blow evey month
sounds like you installed them incorrectly if they keep blowing on you every month!

Ant
Old 11-04-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
I am thinking of getting this kit. Does anyone here run it or recommend it? Or should I stay away from it?

Thanks

I'm not sure of the availbility of these kits since the ban and all. But I've had the Hanabi / ZMax 8600K Kit ... got it from Freddie 1 year ago. And let me tell you AMAZING. The lightout is fantastic, I literally light up blocks at night and I get compliments on them ALL the time, they really do set your car apart they are honestly in my opinion some of the brightest kits, I can take pictures if you want me too. They're hot man I'm telling you, get them if you can. You will NOT regret it.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by HarrisH
I'm not sure of the availbility of these kits since the ban and all. But I've had the Hanabi / ZMax 8600K Kit ... got it from Freddie 1 year ago. And let me tell you AMAZING. The lightout is fantastic, I literally light up blocks at night and I get compliments on them ALL the time, they really do set your car apart they are honestly in my opinion some of the brightest kits, I can take pictures if you want me too. They're hot man I'm telling you, get them if you can. You will NOT regret it.

Arg. I'm not gonna say it....
Old 11-04-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sagamax
specifically what problems are mccullough associated with.
If you were to go to hidplanet.com, most of the guys there would specifically tell you that the wireing on those systems are really bad. From experience, I didn't have too much luck on that system.

Sagamax are you still looking for a system or did you finally decide on that H4 kit?

As for the question at hand, I think that the Hanabi kits look great but since they don't manufacture them anymore, it would be harder and more expensive to get parts if anything were to blow out.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
living out of a maxima...

2+ years with a Hanabi 6k kit and so far so good
Old 11-14-2004, 01:27 AM
no more maxima...

Do any of you guys happen to have the instructions on how to install the 9004 Hanabi 6k kit on a 4th gen? Thanks