General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

built my own intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 PM

built my own intake

I built my own intake, CAI injen style but it is really low (like the bottom of my K&N touches the splash guard) and my car revs a little higher for a quick second then falls to about 850 rpms. Anyways, is this normal? I checked for leaks and it seems to be none what so ever. Is the piping too long?

btw, the gains are pretty good though so i don't really mind the little rev issue.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Im izz sexay

You might want to raise it from the splash guard. On good puddle and your hydro locked. The rev is good and the ecu is probably adjusting to the lower temp. Take some pics.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would love to see some pics!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:14 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Reset your ECU.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:53 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

u wont hydrolock unless the filter is submerged in water.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:26 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by nadir_s
u wont hydrolock unless the filter is submerged in water.

.......that guard is at least 7" off the ground, and anyone who drives through 7" of standing water deserves what happens next.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM
VIP Maxima

huh, my injen is low too... and the k&n filter DOES touch the splash guard.

"ecu adjusting to lower temps"

u mean HIGHER ?!?!?!?

Old 11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE

u mean HIGHER ?!?!?!?
You want to explain that? And if your answer is going to start with "because the filter is behind the radiator fan" then you've got your injen on wrong.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 AM

i would have a long time ago but my sister *lost* our digital camera so im in the market. But ill see what i can do...

BTW, it rained all of a sudden and I was driving through some crazy flooded areas (esp for SoCal). Some water was like 1 ft deep. It was scary and i was freaking out and was looking for a gas station to pullover so I can swap in the short ram version of it but fortunately i didnt hydrolock. I researched and the awesome example they always give is to think of the intake as a straw, puncture the straw with a hole and you cant really suk up any liquid. Since the filter wasnt fully submerged (thank God), it acted like a punctured straw BUT now i take every percaution to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
i would have a long time ago but my sister *lost* our digital camera so im in the market. But ill see what i can do...

BTW, it rained all of a sudden and I was driving through some crazy flooded areas (esp for SoCal). Some water was like 1 ft deep. It was scary and i was freaking out and was looking for a gas station to pullover so I can swap in the short ram version of it but fortunately i didnt hydrolock. I researched and the awesome example they always give is to think of the intake as a straw, puncture the straw with a hole and you cant really suk up any liquid. Since the filter wasnt fully submerged (thank God), it acted like a punctured straw BUT now i take every percaution to make sure it doesn't happen again.
So many people flaming but lookie here. As I said before raise it a little so you won't have to worry about that. Or get a Bypass valve.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Im izz sexay

huh, my injen is low too... and the k&n filter DOES touch the splash guard.

u mean HIGHER ?!?!?!?
Last time I checked CAI's were to induce cooler air into the engine. I'm not a fan of injen intakes (bad design IMO) but why pay for itand waste valuable time if you'll be introducing hotter temps than what the engine already produce? Next time you begin to Get the facts straight. I take the filter touching the splash guard as a precaution because you don't have to travel through a 7" puddle in order for water to get through. Water splashes when travelled through. That's the purpose of it but not all water is stopped. A good 3" deep puddle with a good radius might cause some issues chief.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:04 AM
be the change u want2C

I custom made mines and it touches the plastic part on the wheel well, I just hope my mom doesnt drive through a massive puddle while im away in china, I lent her my car untill she buys one
Old 11-10-2004, 08:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Water splashes when travelled through. That's the purpose of it but not all water is stopped. A good 3" deep puddle with a good radius might cause some issues chief.
And you don't think any intake (stock or aftermarket) takes in huge amounts of water every time you drive in the rain? I wouldn't do it, but you could aim a garden hose at your intake while you run the car and not damage your engine.

A 3" deep puddle isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Reported

I asked Bryan (CobyMoby) about sucking water into my engine when i got his Berk intake. he said unless the water is up to my headlights i won't have a problem. that would be alot of h2O.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 AM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
You want to explain that? And if your answer is going to start with "because the filter is behind the radiator fan" then you've got your injen on wrong.

i'll give you $50 if you place ur hand anywhere on my injen intake after a 30 minute drive and keep it there for 5 seconds.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

After I drive for 30 min, I can stop and immediately open the hood. My custom CAI pipes are actually pretty "cold" to the touch. But if you leave the hood closed and the engine is off, the engine heat warms up the piping pretty quick. My CAI is nothing like the Injen or even the Cattman style. My filter tucks just under the D-side headlight.

i'll give you $50 if you place ur hand anywhere on my injen intake after a 30 minute drive and keep it there for 5 seconds.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
It's chrome alright...

How about I do it on mine and you just paypal me the $50?

How about you answer two questions for me and clear something up...

-how quickly does air move in an intake? Last I checked I didn't notice air sitting in the tube for very long.

-say it's 70 degrees outside and the tube heats to....150 degrees (I have no idea, but I'll err on your side to prove a point). How long would air have to stay stationary in the intake tube for it to heat up even 5 degrees?

Are you getting my point?
Air is not stagnant in the intake tube -->
Air is moving pretty quickly in the intake tube -->
The air is the NOT the same temp as the tube when it goes in the manifold -->
The tube could be significantly hotter than the air and the air would only heat a few degrees, NOT to the same temp.

And when I go get the kids from school (about a 25min trip) I'll try to remember to snap a pic after.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 AM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
How about I do it on mine and you just paypal me the $50?

How about you answer two questions for me and clear something up...

-how quickly does air move in an intake? Last I checked I didn't notice air sitting in the tube for very long.

-say it's 70 degrees outside and the tube heats to....150 degrees (I have no idea, but I'll err on your side to prove a point). How long would air have to stay stationary in the intake tube for it to heat up even 5 degrees?

Are you getting my point?
Air is not stagnant in the intake tube -->
Air is moving pretty quickly in the intake tube -->
The air is the NOT the same temp as the tube when it goes in the manifold -->
The tube could be significantly hotter than the air and the air would only heat a few degrees, NOT to the same temp.

And when I go get the kids from school (about a 25min trip) I'll try to remember to snap a pic after.
The air doesnt stay stagnant, so its not stale, but the radiator does blow all the air right on the filter, so when that little cone is sucking in all that air, im pretty sure its going to suck in a lot of hot air.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:05 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
but the radiator does blow all the air right on the filter, ..............
Stop. No it doesn't blow all the air right on the filter and your yours is on wrong.

I've tried to take pics and can't get a good enough angle, but my filter is NOT behind the radiator, it's off to the side under the battery. If your injen filter is behind the radiator then your injen is installed incorrectly.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:18 AM
be the change u want2C

lol, i dont have an injen, its a custom made cai, it was a short ram and I got some bent peices and put it together, it goes off on the side of the battery and then I cut a hole, the peice is touching the top of the wheel well, (the plastic part) O by the way Im sorry about yesterday, i talked to the guy online, turns out it was a 528i, but i wasnt lying about the story
Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 AM
It's chrome alright...

i'll give you $50 if you place ur hand anywhere on my injen intake after a 30 minute drive
I just got back from taking the kids to school. I shut off the car, walked to the house door, turned around and went back to the car, opened the hood and touched my injen tube.

From a 30 min drive in stop and go traffic it was "warm" but definitely NOT too hot to touch.

$50 please
O by the way Im sorry about yesterday, i talked to the guy online, turns out it was a 528i, but i wasnt lying about the story
Thanks. Sorry it got a little heated.

A '99 528 is a moose and you should be able to walk it.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 AM

According to people on the bimmer forums, the pipe can be warm to the touch but as long as the filter is cold things should be okay. My intake is warm but not hot like the radiator. Anyways, I plan on wrapping my intake with aluminum tape which is suppose to act as cold insulation. Guess that will bring the total cost to $15 (exclding the K&n filter) =(
Old 11-11-2004, 07:12 AM
be the change u want2C

i was missinformed, But hey, so one thing I forgot to do That I just remembred Is to sand down the cuting holes. When I was cutting the hole I didnt have a jigsaw so I used a drill and drilled a bunch of holesand then I broke the hole out with a hammer. What are the odds of it rusting up?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

What are the odds of it rusting up?
Odds are good. You should really take the intake out and sand the hole and at least prime it.