General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who's the lightest Max on the Org??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I think 1500 lbs is the perfect weight for a Maxima. But, it really wouldn't be a Maxima anymore, would it? LOL Like that Sentra on that Nissan Magazine article.
haha, yes...you knew I was going to say that.

That Sentra was still slow, I have the article, I know it ran in the 14s even on the frame.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:53 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I guess I'm just one of those crazy people. Attention to detail is a must for me. I even cut the ABS bracket off my AGX's when I got them. I painted them afterward of course.

All this talk brings me to another question. Has anyone removed the wheel well splash gaurd? I'm not talking about the pieces in between the wheel and engine/tranny. I'm refering to the pieces between the wheel and fender. These don't weigh much. I'm wondering if the added turbulence will negate the gains from cooling and weight at high speed. Obviously at low speed the air resistance will be minimal therefore all the benifit will go to the weight saving. After removing these, is the inside of the fender completely unprotected from rocks? Has anyone ever gotten a dent on the inside of their fender from doing this? I've seen 240's that have removed this and they had dents from rocks. It does seems however that the sheet metal on those cars is not as thick as ours. I can't take a look at the car myself cause its away in storage.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Broaner
I guess I'm just one of those crazy people. Attention to detail is a must for me. I even cut the ABS bracket off my AGX's when I got them. I painted them afterward of course.

All this talk brings me to another question. Has anyone removed the wheel well splash gaurd? I'm not talking about the pieces in between the wheel and engine/tranny. I'm refering to the pieces between the wheel and fender. These don't weigh much. I'm wondering if the added turbulence will negate the gains from cooling and weight at high speed. Obviously at low speed the air resistance will be minimal therefore all the benifit will go to the weight saving. After removing these, is the inside of the fender completely unprotected from rocks? Has anyone ever gotten a dent on the inside of their fender from doing this? I've seen 240's that have removed this and they had dents from rocks. It does seems however that the sheet metal on those cars is not as thick as ours. I can't take a look at the car myself cause its away in storage.
One of my plastic fender wells got torn out on the highway on my way to the track. I would say to leave them in cause with the one plastic splash guard missing it produced a bit of turbulence and you could hear every little piece of debris hitting the inside of the fender. They weigh about 5 pounds I would say and provide a bit of protection for the fender. Also if you have a CAI its important because nothing else will protect the cone filter.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
I think 2,900-3,000lbs is a perfect weight for a street Maxima.
My car will still be a street maxima at 2400 lbs
Old 01-02-2005, 03:59 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Kris, you should realy make a webpage or post a complete list of all the **** you've removed. I really don't understand how you are that light without CF parts.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:03 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by krismax
My car will still be a street maxima at 2400 lbs
Three HP at 9500rpm isn't going to beat me, even if you do get the car down to 150 pounds.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Kris, you should realy make a webpage or post a complete list of all the **** you've removed. I really don't understand how you are that light without CF parts.
4 things that are being done right now to take off weight will shave 100-110 lbs and none of it is from the interior ., 40lbs of it will be from carbon fiber savings and the rest is the engine bay. Remember plastic valvecovers save alot of weight over aluminum ones.
My car is prob very close to a 50/50 weight balance.
My stock brake size at my cars weight already feels much better than cars ive driven with bigger rotors .
Old 01-03-2005, 11:17 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I didn't think about the valve covers. How much do the alums weigh? 10Ibs? The plastic?

Everyone keeps saying that the Paradox CF trunlid will be ~15Ibs of weight saving. My OEM trunk lid weighed 50Ibs with some sound deadening. I'm guessing its original weight would be 40 to 45Ibs. I just got on the bathroom scale with the CF lid and it clicks in at 14Ibs. That is at least 25Ibs of weight saving from high up in the rear.

Kris, you mentioned that you are approaching 50/50. How do you deal with the front wheel gap issue? Do you just not care what it looks like or do you have coil-overs.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I didn't think about the valve covers. How much do the alums weigh? 10Ibs? The plastic?

Everyone keeps saying that the Paradox CF trunlid will be ~15Ibs of weight saving. My OEM trunk lid weighed 50Ibs with some sound deadening. I'm guessing its original weight would be 40 to 45Ibs. I just got on the bathroom scale with the CF lid and it clicks in at 14Ibs. That is at least 25Ibs of weight saving from high up in the rear.

Kris, you mentioned that you are approaching 50/50. How do you deal with the front wheel gap issue? Do you just not care what it looks like or do you have coil-overs.
To get the pastic valvecovers you have to throw a 3.5 in. Just the 3.5 valveccovers save 7-8 lbs over the 4th gens.

Yeah my trunk is going on the one i got from saddler and the trunk springs are coming out . And my spoiler is coming off. All of that should be 35-45lbs.

Well i do have wheel gaps but when my weight reducing done and engines done ill deal with that with some nice coilovers . It doesnt bother me my cars under construction.
There are so many things on our car where weight can come off of. I wonder how much the undercoating weighs on the bottom?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

the 95 vs 96 front bumper beam support is a pretty big difference in weight between those 2 years.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
2060lbs and falling...

If I'm not mistaken the 3.5 weighs less than the 3.0. Something like 35Ibs sound familiar. Now we know this is largely due to the plastic parts.

NmexMax, my bumper supports are aluminum and weigh less than 10Ibs. Still, when I weighed in October I was still in the 3K+ club though. At the moment I'm in the <2300Ibs club though. Hehe...
Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's because you have a 95.

There's a pretty big difference, the 96 being heavier.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That's because you have a 95.

There's a pretty big difference, the 96 being heavier.
I need to get them still dont have those yet
Old 01-03-2005, 02:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

I need to get them still dont have those yet
I was aiming that statement at you originally, didn't think you still had the 96 on there. Where are you picking them up at? Is the rear that much lighter than the front too? I got mine from Pinnacle Nissan.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I was aiming that statement at you originally, didn't think you still had the 96 on there. Where are you picking them up at? Is the rear that much lighter than the front too? I got mine from Pinnacle Nissan.
I want to get them from either a junk yard or a dealer but from the cheapest place possible and ya both my heavy steel 96 bumpers are still on.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by TopElement
My price on those is $28 front and $39 rear. But shipping to you might not be cheap.
If you can get the aluminum 95 max front and rear for that price ill take them both just tell me what kind of shipping.And do you have pics of them?
Do you have the 95 stays for the rear to?
Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 06:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

If I'm not mistaken the 3.5 weighs less than the 3.0. Something like 35Ibs sound familiar. Now we know this is largely due to the plastic parts.

NmexMax, my bumper supports are aluminum and weigh less than 10Ibs. Still, when I weighed in October I was still in the 3K+ club though. At the moment I'm in the <2300Ibs club though. Hehe...
Sup Broaner! No disrespect, I just have to bring something to your attention. It's LBS, not IBS. LBS stands for pounds, while IBS stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome! LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

did you guy remember to remove the tire valve stem caps for that extra .00000001 grams?

some of you remind me of an anorexic high school girls
Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Thanks for the reminder Aaron. LOL.

Kris, you seriously need to list out your complete list of things done for weight saving. I really have a hard time believing that your car will weigh 2500lbs if it has any interior left in it. I'm not calling BS. I'd just like to see the list so I can see WTF i've been missing all along.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Thanks for the reminder Aaron. LOL.

Kris, you seriously need to list out your complete list of things done for weight saving. I really have a hard time believing that your car will weigh 2500lbs if it has any interior left in it. I'm not calling BS. I'd just like to see the list so I can see WTF i've been missing all along.
A list is not possible i have done 100's of little things to take off tiny bits of weight here and there. all my weight reduction is mostly hidden .
But i saw the TB stuff you did and thats kind of the things i do but the pathy TB saved alittle over 1 lb over stock.
The key really is this "EVERY part that is on my car or gets put on my car must be lighter than stock" I made a aluminum batery tie down better looking than stock and lighter than stock.
My car will loose more weight this week taking brake dust shields off and exhaust heat shields and my last tow hook in the front . And maybe my evap system i think thats 15lbs just for the evap system but that has to be taken off right or you can have some gas problems.
And actually im shooting for 2400's with a full interior
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Also people have to realize that rims save alot of weight too, my street rims weigh 13.5lbs the stock sawblades are 19.7lbs.
When i get to the brakes ill save alot more, i want to get crossdrilled two piece stock sized rotors with superlite caliphers two pistons that could save 40-50lbs all the way around.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
2060lbs and falling...

You are continuing to amaze me. I have already removed my dust shields and all heat shielding and I'm still in the 3K+ club. Let me guess. Next your going to tell me you have full splash gaurds? I just don't get it.

I realize that the little things are hard to keep track off. But if you keep up with it it should be no problem.

Stock saw blades are 19.7lbs? What is the site with all the wheel weights? Wheelweights.net? Whatever the site is, it lists them as 16.5lbs.

I'm quite interested in the evap removal. My 95 FSM says only Cali spec models have evap stuff. Did they not start that until 96?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Father of the 00 VI

thats funny i do have all my splash shields
Another thing is i never have more than a 1/4 tank of gas and winshield fluid is never full.

And also the sawblades were weighed by me on a mail scale they are almost 20lbs.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Go Get a Life!

Damn I just need to get my car weighed, I heard of people going to truck weigh ins on the side of truck stops. Have you guys ever heard of this, I might check thisout. Oh with no AC and no power steering I really can feal how light my throtlle is I only have one belt turning the alternator and thats it. It feals awsome I'm just amazed by the power I have now. My Auto tranny only lasted me 3days after this swap now I just purchased a 5speed to swap over, do you guys know how much lighter the manual vs. Auto is????
Old 01-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Go Get a Life!

thats funny i do have all my splash shields
Another thing is i never have more than a 1/4 tank of gas and winshield fluid is never full.

And also the sawblades were weighed by me on a mail scale they are almost 20lbs.
Oh the sawblades thats with tires right?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Oh the sawblades thats with tires right?
No thats just the rim ,i dont know who started the sawblades being light myth but there not. For 15x6.5 inch rims there very heavy
Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 AM
NWP Engineering.com

No thats just the rim ,i dont know who started the sawblades being light myth but there not. For 15x6.5 inch rims there very heavy
Krismax, have you ever put your car on a scale? Or have you just done the math from everything you've removed from your car?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The key really is this "EVERY part that is on my car or gets put on my car must be lighter than stock"
Reminds of a phrase I heard once, "If you look after the ounces, the pounds will look after themselves."
Old 01-04-2005, 08:46 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Kris, I also ask; Have you ever actually weighed the car? Weight reduction math is just like mod math. IT DOESN'T WORK. At this point I absolutely do not believe your car is so light. Prove me wrong. To get down to even 2700, serious things are required if you don't have CF parts.

You say you still have

-Brake dustsheilds(8lbs)
-Splash gaurd(4-5lbs)
-Heat sheilding(10-15lbs)
-Windsheild washer system(3-5lbs excluding fluid)
Do you still have the cruise control system? Do you have airbags? Stock steering wheel?

You do not have CF parts or coilovers. You do have rims which are lighter but... I really want to know the little things that you speak of cause I want to be so light also.

JapmaxSE, is it getting substaintially easier to steer without PS as you get lighter? Is it possible to drive in a spirited fashion with no power steering? I did it for over a month last year but that was on stock width tires. Now I have fat 245's up front but I'm substaintially lighter. I'll be switching back to 235's when I get MX's. Without the engine and tranny in the car it is only slightly harder to steer than it was with the power steering working. This is at parking lot speeds too. Its roughly 700lbs off the steering and front geometry. If its any harder than I had it previously it will be tough to deal with. I'll have to follow Kris's awesome pioneering into hydro-electric power steering.

I will agree that the additional power from removing the A/C was substaintial. I can't wait to get another little boost from removing an entire belt. The FSM says that there is over 1 quart of fluid in the PS system. Thats nearly 2lbs right there. I'm going to be overwheelmed with the power once I finally get the car running. Swapping to 5Spd will be alot by itself. You mention the throttle response is much better. That is one thing I'm looking forward to also. I figured I didn't want a Fidanza cause the rotational mass of the crank is already going to be greatly reduced. Would you say it is comparable to a fidanza if you've ridden in a car with one? All this said, I'm worried about being able to control torque steer when I run a 3.125. Are you noticing your arms getting thicker quickly? Thats a plus!

Another reduction idea! I've never liked that the muffler sticking out through the bumper. I'm going to fill that area in my new bumper before painting. I'll then place the muffler in the exhaust tunnel just behind the resonator. I'll have to put a bend at the end to point it to the ground so I don't worry about lighting the gas tank on fire. I think this setup should be good for at least 10lbs, less/shorter restriction, and really cool when flames start shooting out.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I've seen 240's that have removed this and they had dents from rocks. It does seems however that the sheet metal on those cars is not as thick as ours. I can't take a look at the car myself cause its away in storage.
The fenders in the Max are not that thick and seem to be prone to dents. I have a dimple in mine and I cannot stress to you how neurotic I am about keeping the car dent/ding/scratch free...no clue where the dimple came from. If I had to guess, I would say that you would absolutely get dents from rocks if you did this. I've never seen a car with this done, but you say 240's have gotten dents there, and I wouldn't put it past the thin-*** Maxima fenders to fair any better.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Kris, I also ask; Have you ever actually weighed the car? Weight reduction math is just like mod math. IT DOESN'T WORK.
Yes it does.

If you weigh the parts you take off the car and get 10 pounds, your car weighs 10 pounds less than it did before. No two ways about it.

Mod math is trying to adda a claimed 5hp from an intake + claimed 15hp from Y-pipe + claimed 5hp from catback

That doesnt necessarliy add up to 25hp gained overall.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I put my car on a scale and it was 3150. I know exactly how much I lose when I remove bumper supports. I've weighed the individual parts seperately and added them all up and I will be 2930lbs this Feb. My scale proven stock weight is exactly 3300lbs. So I will have lost 370lbs this Feb 05.

I've removed carpet, sound deadening, all seats, inluding driver's seat with a plastic seat. I've removed bumper supports, my muffler, and put on light rear skinnies. I still have AC, PS and all that good stuff. But it's take a LOT to remove 370lbs from your car.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Go Get a Life!

Kris, I also ask; Have you ever actually weighed the car? Weight reduction math is just like mod math. IT DOESN'T WORK. At this point I absolutely do not believe your car is so light. Prove me wrong. To get down to even 2700, serious things are required if you don't have CF parts.

You say you still have

-Brake dustsheilds(8lbs)
-Splash gaurd(4-5lbs)
Do you still have the cruise control system? Do you have airbags? Stock steering wheel?

You do not have CF parts or coilovers. You do have rims which are lighter but... I really want to know the little things that you speak of cause I want to be so light also.

JapmaxSE, is it getting substaintially easier to steer without PS as you get lighter? Is it possible to drive in a spirited fashion with no power steering? I did it for over a month last year but that was on stock width tires. Now I have fat 245's up front but I'm substaintially lighter. I'll be switching back to 235's when I get MX's. Without the engine and tranny in the car it is only slightly harder to steer than it was with the power steering working. This is at parking lot speeds too. Its roughly 700lbs off the steering and front geometry. If its any harder than I had it previously it will be tough to deal with. I'll have to follow Kris's awesome pioneering into hydro-electric power steering.

I will agree that the additional power from removing the A/C was substaintial. I can't wait to get another little boost from removing an entire belt. The FSM says that there is over 1 quart of fluid in the PS system. Thats nearly 2lbs right there. I'm going to be overwheelmed with the power once I finally get the car running. Swapping to 5Spd will be alot by itself. You mention the throttle response is much better. That is one thing I'm looking forward to also. I figured I didn't want a Fidanza cause the rotational mass of the crank is already going to be greatly reduced. Would you say it is comparable to a fidanza if you've ridden in a car with one? All this said, I'm worried about being able to control torque steer when I run a 3.125. Are you noticing your arms getting thicker quickly? Thats a plus!

Another reduction idea! I've never liked that the muffler sticking out through the bumper. I'm going to fill that area in my new bumper before painting. I'll then place the muffler in the exhaust tunnel just behind the resonator. I'll have to put a bend at the end to point it to the ground so I don't worry about lighting the gas tank on fire. I think this setup should be good for at least 10lbs, less/shorter restriction, and really cool when flames start shooting out.
For example I drove my girl around in my car and she never noticed that I had no PS. I'm very surprised how it's not that much different than having PS. No prob in parking lots other than I sometimes forget that I need to come to a complete stop before turning the steering wheel. But other than that once your up to speed I can drive the same way as before actually it feels more responsive & feedback is good. I think the weight reduction has alot to do with it. The first thing I noticed was the throttle response, just tap it and the revs kick up surprisingly.

What size muffler are you using to do that? I also wanted to have my pipe come out infront of my right rear tire. Right where it bends before the solid rear axle..and Maybe if I take off the muffler completly and put a resonator, would that still keep my car at the same noise levels if I had my muffler on??

Have you guys ever heard of truck weigh ins can I get my car weighed there someone told me I can but I never drove over to see.??
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
For example I drove my girl around in my car and she never noticed that I had no PS. I'm very surprised how it's not that much different than having PS. No prob in parking lots other than I sometimes forget that I need to come to a complete stop before turning the steering wheel. But other than that once your up to speed I can drive the same way as before actually it feels more responsive & feedback is good. I think the weight reduction has alot to do with it. The first thing I noticed was the throttle response, just tap it and the revs kick up surprisingly.

What size muffler are you using to do that? I also wanted to have my pipe come out infront of my right rear tire. Right where it bends before the solid rear axle..and Maybe if I take off the muffler completly and put a resonator, would that still keep my car at the same noise levels if I had my muffler on??

Have you guys ever heard of truck weigh ins can I get my car weighed there someone told me I can but I never drove over to see.??
I have driven my car with only a resonator on, stock resonator and it was loud. I got vids if you want.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I will admit that I exagerated in my post a bit. I'm just saying that its much more acurate to throw the car on a scale. I just have such a hard time seeing where all this weight is coming from when I learn that all the basic weight reduction things are still bolted to the vehicle.

Japmax, that is very comforting that its easy for you to drive. What size tire do you have? About the exhaust, I'm going to just dump the gases right on the ground infront of the axle for the time being. When I gather funs up I'll do a dual setup out in front of the rear tires. I really don't want to do this until I get sideskirts cause it will look bad all lonesome. Just adding a resonator will not sound very good. All it will do is reduce the high pitch exhaust note of what an open y-pipe sounds like. A muffler is required if you want it to be deep. When I do it for really I'm going to use one of those long @ss 2.5" magnaflow mufflers with the longest 2.5" resonator I can cram in there. To do this I'm going to begin the modified b-pipe at the y-pipe. I have a straight pipe anyway so... This way I will be able to do it myself cause no bending is required. I'll just have to mark and bring the stuff to an exhaust shop to have them flange it out for me.

I weigh my car at the local land fill. I doubt its very accurate. At least its free. But go to the same one so at least its consistantly inaccurate. Also, its important to do all weighing will the same amount of gas. I always weigh mine right after filling up. Gas is something people often neglect to take into account. I don't consider driving around with low levels of gas to be weight saving. That is kinda like using only 4 quarts of oil or one gallon of coolant for the same purpose. There is no point in having a fast car if you can only go 70 miles before you're worried about filling up.

Aaron, thanks for the input. My car is quickly approaching the the "weekend toy/hobby car" status but not quite yet. I'm not quite ready to remove sound deadening and bumper supports. I'm contemplating the front support but the rear is not coming out. I was rear-ended recently and it would have been at least $2k if the support were not there. Instead it was estimated to be $560 in damages. Fine with me. It was a way to justify to myself the CF trunklid.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

There is no point in having a fast car if you can only go 70 miles before you're worried about filling up.
Unless you're at the track of course.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Sawblades are 16.5 not 20. Weight difference between any 4th gen max with same equipment is less than 20lbs.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Sawblades are 16.5 not 20. Weight difference between any 4th gen max with same equipment is less than 20lbs.
Nope i put them on two different mail scales they are close to 20lbs I weighed my kosei k-1's on the same scales and they were the weights they were suppose to be
Old 01-04-2005, 12:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Are you sure, even with a completely base GXE 5spd vs a GLE?

And what about the manual vs 5spd any model?

Kris stated he weighed sawblades, and they came out to ~20,

I've done that with the honeycombs and had about 18, are the sawblades wider? I don'th think they are.

Both sawblades and honeycomb I thought were 15x6.5
Old 01-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Father of the 00 VI

[QUOTE=Broaner]Kris, I also ask; Have you ever actually weighed the car? Weight reduction math is just like mod math. IT DOESN'T WORK. At this point I absolutely do not believe your car is so light. Prove me wrong. To get down to even 2700, serious things are required if you don't have CF parts.

You say you still have

-Brake dustsheilds(8lbs)
-Splash gaurd(4-5lbs)

QUOTE]I still have all that stuff and i have my cruise control ,i have my airbags and steering wheel. I do have a carbon fiber trunk.
I have weighed my car 3-4 times a year on a digital NHRA race scale. last weigh in was 2745lbs thats with ac and ps on car and no carbon trunk on the car .my car gets 30-33 mpg i never have more than 2 gallons in my tank at any time except now because it had to be driven to tilleys. your adding 100lbs right there .
mzmtg understands how i do it ,read what i said again .I will have a full interior this year and be 2500lb range . I will prob never get rid of my airbags or wheel and i will have my electric PS hooked up and its heavier than stock by 3lbs. Ill keep the cruise control i cant live without it. I still even have that 6lb plate in behind my back seat.

Quick Reply: Who's the lightest Max on the Org??