General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How much would it cost to change the interior color completely?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 02:06 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm not just talking seats and floormats, I mean, everything, carpets, floormats, seats, elbow rests, door inserts, ceiling upholstery, etc.....

Would a job like this cost a lot? What kind of shops or places do this sort of thing? Is it possible to do it yourself?..

I currently have a charcoal gray interior, but I'm looking at different cars, and there have been good deals on 4th gens with tan interior, which is totally ugly in my opinion, especially if there is no leather, the cloth gets dirty so fast and just looks like sh*t

What would it take? cost? where? where to find materials?

thanks...
Old 04-29-2001, 05:44 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a tan cloth interior on my 93 Max and it's still pristine clean. The only place that gets a little dirty is the driver's seat and floor mats, but a little shampooing once a year takes care of that.
Old 04-29-2001, 07:30 PM
STFU n00b!

you're looking at probably $3500 or higher.
$700 jsut for leather seats, then another $500 for new door panels, $1000+ for a dash (because of the airbags), $1000 for a steering wheel (again, airbag), $200 for carpet, and $100-200 for a headliner.

those are guesses on everything but the seats, but will probably be pretty close to what you'll find- whether new or salvage..

I think for the price and difficulty (the dash is an absolute PIA to replace) you'd be better off just paying a bit more for a 4th gen with interior you like.
Old 04-29-2001, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

give it up... you'll never be able to do it for cheaper than it would cost to trade to max with the color you want.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:54 AM

interior

i hate to say it but it can be done for ALOT cheaper than that. I bought good quality leather/vinal dye and did my dash and steering wheel for less than a hundred. It was something i've never done but asked lots of questions from the guy i bought the stuff from and took my time and it looks like a black dash. You don't have to pull the dash out and it was no where near 2000 to do them. it probably took about 3 days of work between sanding, applying and drying but it looks stock.JC witney carries carpet for about 100 and your just gonna have to shell out about 700 for the seats but the rest of the stuff you can get from a junk yard for cheap.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:27 PM

piopremier,
I'm also interested in changing the total interior of my car. I have the tan interior with leather and if I could get some more info about this dash dye that you bought that would be great. Will it work on the A-pillar covers? Also if you have some pics of your dyed dash that would be great.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2001, 03:45 PM

dash dye

ill have to go find the web page i got it from shouldn't be that hard give me your e-mail address and ill mail it to ya. also with the a piller its not gonna work because thats hard plastic. ive found that no matter what you do to hard plastic it can scrap off. i wanted just my dash, back dash, carpet, door inserts black. and my seats 2-tone black and tan so the only hard plastic i had to get was the center console, glove box and the part under the steering wheel and the steering wheel colume . so i found them on the net and junk yards. so ive almost got the 2 toned interior i want
Old 04-30-2001, 04:06 PM

in my area

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I'm not just talking seats and floormats, I mean, everything, carpets, floormats, seats, elbow rests, door inserts, ceiling upholstery, etc.....

Would a job like this cost a lot? What kind of shops or places do this sort of thing? Is it possible to do it yourself?..

I currently have a charcoal gray interior, but I'm looking at different cars, and there have been good deals on 4th gens with tan interior, which is totally ugly in my opinion, especially if there is no leather, the cloth gets dirty so fast and just looks like sh*t

What would it take? cost? where? where to find materials?

thanks...
There are some neighborhoods close to where I live where the cost is nothing to have your interior pieces removed. It happens even when you didn't make arrangements to do so!! hehe

Funny that attached to that pic in your sig is a car that sells for around 82 grand. Makes you wonder, would you rather have a 540i AND a 325Ci for fun, or just the one car with 400 hp?
Old 04-30-2001, 07:47 PM

Re: dash dye

Originally posted by piopremier
ill have to go find the web page i got it from shouldn't be that hard give me your e-mail address and ill mail it to ya. also with the a piller its not gonna work because thats hard plastic. ive found that no matter what you do to hard plastic it can scrap off. i wanted just my dash, back dash, carpet, door inserts black. and my seats 2-tone black and tan so the only hard plastic i had to get was the center console, glove box and the part under the steering wheel and the steering wheel colume . so i found them on the net and junk yards. so ive almost got the 2 toned interior i want
My email is ian_brown@mindspring.com. Thanks for finding the info for me, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:24 PM

I'm also interested in dying my interior....

Please post the information on where to buy the die, and any pics of your finished dash here. I'd like to see it, and change my friggin tan interior also. Post here for everyone to see, this way you can help evryone who has the same questions as the thread started.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2001, 06:20 PM

leather dye

the name of the product is leatherique at leatherique.com. i only recommend this if your gonna take your time and do it right though.