General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Rate your skills:
There is no one better then I am!
13.65%
I am a good driver, I can hold my own.
69.15%
I am alright...
14.33%
I need improvement, the gas pedal frightens me.
0.92%
I drive like a 90yr old. I love the brake pedal, and use it even when I am pressing the gas.
1.95%
Voters: 872. You may not vote on this poll

How good of a driver do you think YOU are?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd say im a pretty good driver for the street, I consider myself pretty attentive and know my car and its limits. I dont think I can lap the Nurburgring in record time, but I try to know whats going on around me at all times when driving down the highway.

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
If I were in Vegas I'd lay down a fat chip that the story is untrue. 150 in a '96, GLE or whatever, highly doubtful. The 4th gen gets shaky at 115+, you don't cruise at 150, see a cop with your eagle eyes, and then back it down like it ain't no thing. my .02......
Agreed. :attention
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM

If I were in Vegas I'd lay down a fat chip that the story is untrue. 150 in a '96, GLE or whatever, highly doubtful. The 4th gen gets shaky at 115+, you don't cruise at 150, see a cop with your eagle eyes, and then back it down like it ain't no thing. my .02......
I had a post complete with smilies but it didn't load for some reason. But basically I was saying that I don't know where you got the shaky at 115+ info, cause my car has driven smoothly at 133 - 134 (I've always run out of road space before I could get past that speed) even with crappy tires.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:23 AM

didnt feel like

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
Just curious. We all focus our time any money on upgrading the car, but how good of a driver do you think you are? If you get in a situation where you start to fishtail heavily, do you think you could regain control? If you encounter an emergency situation when impact is eminent, what do you do? Do you just slam on the brakes and hope you don't crash, or do you look for ways out such as changing lanes, or down shifting to try and stop faster, or even hop a curb to avoid hitting some one?

Many times we spend all this money on our cars to make them better, but we don't use our best judgment when driving. I.E. racing on the streets. If you lose control, are you good enough to get it back? I just figured I would make an interesting post for a change.
Ok so this is offically my 15th post on max org...
I thought it was acutally a good idea for a thread...somthing i think is very important.

I unfortutally have tried that jumping a curb thing...only accident i have ever been in...well I totalled my 86 jag xjs beyond belief...acutally the car was in sweet shape however the suspension didnt look to hot. I wouldnt sugest hitten the curb buy anymeans. How ever i am 23 and have never hit anything else in my life. But have gotten manya tickets.. i Grew up on an idian rezervation...means nuthing to you all...but all we had was dirt roads everywere...all i did from the time of getting my first truck at 15 was learn how to build em and driven them...from baja style to strait mud boggers, to a 89 maxima that i think saw more dirt roads then pavement. WHen it rained the roads were nuthing but a sticky goo that would suck your car either which way. My truck had lockers..had bald tires...good tires all of the above..learning how to dive a two wheel drive truck with a locker down a ice road or highly slick dirt road can be a chalenge..and i think one of the best tests. I think in a controlled enviroment everone should go see what there car can or cant do..espeically if they are enough of a guru to mod it. If your gonna talk the talk might as well walk it as well. other wise you got a bunch of posers. I always look for a way out of every siutation i get into..no matter what it is. I dont recomend this but i used to be able to drive down the street pull the ebrake in my 97se and completley park the opsite way of which i was going with out hitting the curb evertime..and i could do that at about 30mph.... i could do a full 180..almost pulled a 360 but i was jacken my car up to much...Hell i cant race lunga seca with the pros but it sure would be fun tryen!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:25 AM

oh and plan on doing the andreddity race school here in vegas...sooner or later
Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Ive read in some magazine that 90% of people think they are a better than average driver.

Im one of them but i do some dumb **** once in a while, like 100+ runs and barking second gear for no reason....

Oh and that school is like 3-4 g's i believe..

and dude maxspeed i want that pink maxima..if you ever find it i will buy it..

pinks the new black..or as i like to say..
pnkspmp
Old 10-03-2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by toyick
I dont recomend this but i used to be able to drive down the street pull the ebrake in my 97se and completley park the opsite way of which i was going with out hitting the curb evertime..and i could do that at about 30mph.... i could do a full 180..almost pulled a 360 but i was jacken my car up to much...
Dude, the spelling! Come on. But anyway, I think the gravel roads are cool and can teach you a lot. I spent about 3 months in a small town for an internship with company in nowhere. I was on a dirt road with friends one night, deliberately sliding around on a gravel road on the way to a friend's house, you know sliding into the turns and stuff. That was fun as heck! On the way out I was doing it again and I think having two extra people, one a pretty big guy and the other his sister, made it handle slightly different. I ran into the ditch on the side just past where there was a pond. The rear end of the car lifted probably 45 degrees. I was in disbelief. I never slid on those roads again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that was in an 87 sentra. The exhaust broke loose in a few months, but I got it rewelded for like 50 bucks and kept on truckin. I had a dent on the left door, though. I hated that dent.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

pantara !!

I drive like this http://www.utm.edu/staff/trose/videos/flyinglimo.wmv
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
I had a post complete with smilies but it didn't load for some reason. But basically I was saying that I don't know where you got the shaky at 115+ info, cause my car has driven smoothly at 133 - 134 (I've always run out of road space before I could get past that speed) even with crappy tires.
The Maxima is a FWD car with a lot of motor. The faster the car goes, the less confidence it gives the driver. At 80 mph, the steering is very vague.

Drive the new G35 with sport suspension. It will make the Maxima feel pretty lousy. Then drive the 1999 323i, it will make the 2k6 G35 feel quite lousy in the handling dept. Drive an A4 3.2 Quattro to see what a European FWD'ish front-heavy car can do. Then treat yourself to the 2k6 330 with active steering. All of the above will put the Maxima into perspective. It's not wise to drive a Maxima 133-134 imho, yes, it can be done. But it's kinda shaky.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
On a side not, I don't think tickets or accidents matter (unless its ur fault). I have gotten a bunch of tickets for speeding, but that doesn't make me a bad driver; I am always in a hurry. I have never been in an accident. If you cause an accident, you are the 99% to blame. There is a small percentage of mechanical failures that cause accidents, but its primarily human error to blame.
I'm the same way. I've had 4 speeding tickets total. I'm always in a hurry. I've been in 2 accidents 1 was my fault technically and I was 15. I think I'm exceptionally good at controlling my car, especially since I've had my 300ZX. But I do see that racing line into corners.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM

Im as good as Nobuteru Taniguchi, and Keiichi Tsuchiya
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Driving is the next best thing

The Maxima is a FWD car with a lot of motor. The faster the car goes, the less confidence it gives the driver. At 80 mph, the steering is very vague.

Drive the new G35 with sport suspension. It will make the Maxima feel pretty lousy. Then drive the 1999 323i, it will make the 2k6 G35 feel quite lousy in the handling dept. Drive an A4 3.2 Quattro to see what a European FWD'ish front-heavy car can do. Then treat yourself to the 2k6 330 with active steering. All of the above will put the Maxima into perspective. It's not wise to drive a Maxima 133-134 imho, yes, it can be done. But it's kinda shaky.

I would not agree with that, I drove 2006 330i at speeds under 45 mph – awesome handling but I would say Maxima feels almost as enjoyable. The fastest I was going in my Maxima was 120 mph (did not let myself go faster then that because of the old tires) at this speed it felt very stable and comfortable.

Of cause when going through a corner at maximum of you car’s abilities at 120mph BMW would probably feel better than Maxima… but who’s crazy enough to do that on either car.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:32 AM

You know, I've never driven any of these cars so you're probably right. Even when I test drove a 20th ann max before I got my 97, I was too timid to really put it to the test. Honestly, though, I look so far ahead when I drive and I've gotten so good at predicting what other drivers are going to do that I only make slight adjustments even at 133-134, so I guess I don't even know much what it's like for the steering to feel "shaky."

But I really don't like what you're saying about the G35. I had figured an 04 to be the next car I buy, and it doesn't even have the sport suspension, hunh? I like the 330's around 2001 - 2003 (anything later is outta my budget), but they have less hp and tq and are more expensive. I think they'd cost more for maintenance, too. But you and other people are saying that the G35 doesn't handle well. Not good to hear.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:27 AM

Frank Fontaine is right that BMWs are the best handling cars. Nothing under $100k is better than 330 or m3 but the difference is not that significant.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:07 AM

Dude, the spelling! Come on. But anyway, I think the gravel roads are cool and can teach you a lot. I spent about 3 months in a small town for an internship with company in nowhere. I was on a dirt road with friends one night, deliberately sliding around on a gravel road on the way to a friend's house, you know sliding into the turns and stuff. That was fun as heck! On the way out I was doing it again and I think having two extra people, one a pretty big guy and the other his sister, made it handle slightly different. I ran into the ditch on the side just past where there was a pond. The rear end of the car lifted probably 45 degrees. I was in disbelief. I never slid on those roads again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that was in an 87 sentra. The exhaust broke loose in a few months, but I got it rewelded for like 50 bucks and kept on truckin. I had a dent on the left door, though. I hated that dent.
Yeah, I cant spell worth a shizzle..I dont know why never have been able to.
Math and all that other stuff you use the other side of your brain with...i am really good at...
Anways yeah i have been off the road a few times...when i had my 97se all i did was rallly that thing..i dont think i ever beat a car harder. That max saww more slides then a kid does at wet and wild..
I had a blast with it..thank god i sold it before it got to run down. THey sure do take a beeting. Hight speed dirt road driving and things like that make for the smallest mistakes..butt learning under those conditions really do teach ya....some decent driving skills. IMO

Oh yeah beamers suck....
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I would not agree with that, I drove 2006 330i at speeds under 45 mph – awesome handling but I would say Maxima feels almost as enjoyable. The fastest I was going in my Maxima was 120 mph (did not let myself go faster then that because of the old tires) at this speed it felt very stable and comfortable.

Of cause when going through a corner at maximum of you car’s abilities at 120mph BMW would probably feel better than Maxima… but who’s crazy enough to do that on either car.
The reality is that driving is no different than food, cinema, etc., it's subjective, so I'll be the first to say that it's a matter of opinion. Personally, I was surprised how much of a front-driver the 3.2 Quattro was, despite the "sport suspension." When I looked online, that's a $250 option, so I have to wonder what you can possibly get for $250. The G35 with the same was simply shocking--the car simply cannot handle. Sure, BMW could have stacked the odds by setting up a course that was sufficiently difficult to separate the men from the boys so to speak.

I'd have to wonder if the 2k6 330 you drove had a) sport package and b) active steering. You're talking about a car that has a 50.6/49.4 weight distribution, you don't need to be driving 100+ to appreciate it.

IMHO BMW is a clear case where the numbers do not tell all. One simply has to drive it to understand. And if one just goes by pure road feel, the new Chevy Cobalt is pretty nice--electric power steering gives pretty darn good feel.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:47 AM

mAx

Not for nothing but i had a 95- 240sx SE as my first car, then i had an 89 rx7 convertible w/ a 20b engine(new rx 7 engine Twin Turbo engine). my rx7 had stock suspesion w/ 18" wide rims.. What im trying to say is that my 96max SE w/ Front Strut Bar,AGX Adj struts, eibach springs, Rear sway bar, and 225/50/16" Ventus HRII tires handles better than any other car i've had.. As far as me, i dont consider myself a pro driver , but im sure a pro driver and do alot with my vehicle.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:58 PM

The reality is that driving is no different than food, cinema, etc., it's subjective, so I'll be the first to say that it's a matter of opinion. Personally, I was surprised how much of a front-driver the 3.2 Quattro was, despite the "sport suspension." When I looked online, that's a $250 option, so I have to wonder what you can possibly get for $250. The G35 with the same was simply shocking--the car simply cannot handle. Sure, BMW could have stacked the odds by setting up a course that was sufficiently difficult to separate the men from the boys so to speak.

I'd have to wonder if the 2k6 330 you drove had a) sport package and b) active steering. You're talking about a car that has a 50.6/49.4 weight distribution, you don't need to be driving 100+ to appreciate it.

IMHO BMW is a clear case where the numbers do not tell all. One simply has to drive it to understand. And if one just goes by pure road feel, the new Chevy Cobalt is pretty nice--electric power steering gives pretty darn good feel.

Hm… that’s interesting… it had both active steering and sport package.

To describe my impressions more precisely, 330 felt a little more enjoyable than Maxima at the limit but the ride was much softer and comfortable for around town cruising.

Since it’s not only the steering wheel what makes a difference in handling impressions, I suspect that one of the reasons I felt so little difference was because 330 has auto and my Maxima is manual.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this 96 had no problems with steering at 100+ i drove about that everywhere i got the chance. also it was a blessing as far as the cop not catching me. but as god and the passenger as a witness that was the story. and i'm sticking to it
Old 10-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=Minimalmaxima]You know, I've never driven any of these cars so you're probably right. Even when I test drove a 20th ann max before I got my 97, I was too timid to really put it to the test. Honestly, though, I look so far ahead when I drive and I've gotten so good at predicting what other drivers are going to do that I only make slight adjustments even at 133-134, so I guess I don't even know much what it's like for the steering to feel "shaky."[QUOTE]

before the maxima i driven mostly honda's so i'm really comfortable with them. in perspective thou...for a FF(front wheel front engine) the maxima does handle less than great! in comparison to a honda. but, they are two completely different cars also.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 AM

i dont have a problem hitting 130-135 in my 96 SE!!

i also have a 2000 accord coupe V6 and the maxima would kick its *** anyday!!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Wild for Width

I don't know why people are posting these "top speeds". Any Maxima in good repair without a limiter can pull up to 130-140. It really just depends on how much road you have and how little you care about other factors like STOCK SUSPENSION, STOCK BRAKES, tire speed rating, tire condition, traffic conditions, police, a baby stroller . .whatever.

I have D2 coilovers and the car feels plenty stable and planted at 100 but above those speeds (120-140) I really need quite a bit of road to come to a stop without melting my brakes. BTW I have personally done 142-143 (speedometers tend to be a tad off at that high of speed) ONE time and I will never do it again. The conditions were right and the room was appropriate although I will be the first to admit it was a reckless decision whether or not anything bad happened (which it didn't).

Main point I suppose: A mostly stock Maxima CAN but SHOULD NOT be taken those speeds.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I don't know why people are posting these "top speeds". Any Maxima in good repair without a limiter can pull up to 130-140. It really just depends on how much road you have and how little you care about other factors like STOCK SUSPENSION, STOCK BRAKES, tire speed rating, tire condition, traffic conditions, police, a baby stroller . .whatever.

I have D2 coilovers and the car feels plenty stable and planted at 100 but above those speeds (120-140) I really need quite a bit of road to come to a stop without melting my brakes. BTW I have personally done 142-143 (speedometers tend to be a tad off at that high of speed) ONE time and I will never do it again. The conditions were right and the room was appropriate although I will be the first to admit it was a reckless decision whether or not anything bad happened (which it didn't).

Main point I suppose: A mostly stock Maxima CAN but SHOULD NOT be taken those speeds.
So, Granny, what you're saying is that as long as a car has the suspension and braking ability and the conditions are right, it's okay to drive it fast? I'll admit it's been a while since I've gotten up to the 135 area, but when I have, the brakes have felt just as smooth as ever. I usually shifted down during the breaking too, though. But anyway, if you do it in the "right conditions," you shouldn't have to come to a complete stop at all. Dropping from 120 to 60 is not that hard. Probably wouldn't liquefy the rotors.

I guess there's the whole 'what if this or that happens' argument, but I'd bet that most accidents (where the drivers are sober) are not caused by speeding. It's when I'm the most careful. My two accidents were at no more than 45 mph. 'What if this or that happens" was probably asked when the speed limit was raised to 70 in some areas.

Also, what tires can you find for a max with a rating lower than H? And if the max shouldn't be driven at those speeds (as far as the abilities of the vehicle itself), there would have been a limiter on the SE as well, wouldn't you think?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 96mAx2fast
i dont have a problem hitting 130-135 in my 96 SE!!

i also have a 2000 accord coupe V6 and the maxima would kick its *** anyday!!!!
Well, of course you would roast a V6 accord with a 5-speed max. Auto to auto, I've seen 8.1 seconds as the 0 - 60 for the 200 hp V6 and the auto 97 - 99 max. IMO, that accord pulls strong. I was hanging with a 3.5 Chrysler 300 one day my sisters V6 accord. For auto, I'd expect similar numbers with the max at 190/205 hp/ft-lb and the accord at what, 200/195? But as far as handling, my sisters 99 V6 accord sedan feels a whole lot stiffer than my 97 se max. I still wouldn't want an accord, though.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 AM

i am pretty good at the sport. 5 speed i still need getting used to but i will get where i need to be. and your avitars not doing the robot mannnn he's pop locking....
Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Wild for Width

So, Granny, what you're saying is that as long as a car has the suspension and braking ability and the conditions are right, it's okay to drive it fast?
I thought I would alleviate the title of Granny when I said I have had my car above 140mph, that doesn't seem TOO granny does it?

And yes the stock SE Suspension is not up for the task of having to keep the car under controll during a 140mph manuver.

you shouldn't have to come to a complete stop at all. Dropping from 120 to 60 is not that hard. Probably wouldn't liquefy the rotors.
I agree, I meant slowing down. Either to speed limit or in response to another car etc. The stock brakes become increasingly useless after 2 or more runs of 60 second autocross I do, I also HAVE gone from high speed to speed limit speed and I suppose brake feel could be subjective. It is not comforting to me.

I guess there's the whole 'what if this or that happens' argument, but I'd bet that most accidents (where the drivers are sober) are not caused by speeding.
Well, that may be true but many SINGLE car accidents occur from perfectly sober people going past the limit of their car or themselves.

Also, what tires can you find for a max with a rating lower than H?
Again, I was more referring more to tire condition. I have never looked at all the rating for our cars but for my 16s there is at least 1 level below H that Discount Tire carries . .

And if the max shouldn't be driven at those speeds (as far as the abilities of the vehicle itself), there would have been a limiter on the SE as well, wouldn't you think?
I see your point. I don't know why it's not limited but I certainly do not feel that it can handle autobahn speeds the way most German (RWD in particular) cars do out of the box.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:36 PM

I'm pretty good. I drove an 18 wheeler for awhile and I'm pretty comfortable with my skill. I don't drive dumb in bad weather and try to watch the people around me. I keep my brakes, tires, etc... in good shape. That's all you can do, really.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Check out these driving skills!!!

http://www.stuntcook.com/index.php?i=15148
Old 10-18-2005, 08:23 PM

well, I guess they can vote for "I am a good driver, I can hold my own"
Old 10-24-2005, 07:59 PM

when people drive with me, i swear %90 of em say " your the best driver i ever drove with"( true) and then i slap em across their face and say " get out my ride" and thats about how good of a driver i am. i will say that if it wasn't for my quick thinking, i would of been in a few good accidents. its all about the driver more than the car,(imo) ive seen it first hand with my buddy. thats my 2c for the day
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Honestly I don't think traffic tickets or accidents are an indication of how good of a driver you are....but of course I could be biased. I think tickets and accidents are more a function of luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 AM

I drive everyday praying that all the idiots on the road will not wreck my car.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 AM

Id have to say i can hold my own, but now im learning a new cars limits again. More speeding tickets/reckless/racing tickets (but tickets dont mean anything) than my age prolly but havent been in a accident on insurance. Best stunt ive ever pulled and got away with was speeding the the righthand breakdownlane which turned into merge ramp during rush hour traffic in a 88 gt to find out it didnt turn into the merge but actually ran out of pavement so i manage to put 2 tires in the grass 2 on pavement and fit my car between a truck and turbocoupe thunderbird that happened to stall or wasnt paying attention to traffic.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ford5.0forlife
Id have to say i can hold my own, but now im learning a new cars limits again. More speeding tickets/reckless/racing tickets (but tickets dont mean anything) than my age prolly but havent been in a accident on insurance. Best stunt ive ever pulled and got away with was speeding the the righthand breakdownlane which turned into merge ramp during rush hour traffic in a 88 gt to find out it didnt turn into the merge but actually ran out of pavement so i manage to put 2 tires in the grass 2 on pavement and fit my car between a truck and turbocoupe thunderbird that happened to stall or wasnt paying attention to traffic.
That doesn't make you a good driver, it just makes you a flippin idiot.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 AM

Very true.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Honestly I don't think traffic tickets or accidents are an indication of how good of a driver you are....but of course I could be biased. I think tickets and accidents are more a function of luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
traffic tickets and accidents have a direct correlation with how good of a driver you are. First off, it shows responsibility. Secondly it shows awareness and subsequently reaction time. Three fundamental traits required to be a good driver.

I do agree however, there are instances where there is nothing you can do to avoid a accident though. For example, driving up a hill with 4 lanes (2 up/2down). There is a 30* turn coming up and you are in the far right hand lane with a barrier. You are doing 35mph and the car in the left lane is along side you, passing at 37mph when some idiot comes barreling down the hill, loses control of his car and understeers straight at you. You can't swerve right because of the barrier, can't swerve left because of the guy right along side of you. Quite frankly you don't have enough power or time to make a last ditch effort to accelerate past the car. You slam on the brakes, the idiot in the car that is out of control crosses the centerline and slams into the gaurdrail in your lane. Momentum takes over and now you are exchanging insurance paperwork.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 95bkackmax18s
when people drive with me, i swear %90 of em say " your the best driver i ever drove with"( true) and then i slap em across their face and say " get out my ride" and thats about how good of a driver i am. i will say that if it wasn't for my quick thinking, i would of been in a few good accidents. its all about the driver more than the car,(imo) ive seen it first hand with my buddy. thats my 2c for the day
I agree about the "driver more than car," part, but even you would be hard-pressed to drive well in the things that masquerade as cars on Jacksonville's streets.

Other than having four wheels, any resemblance to an automobile is purely circumstantial!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
traffic tickets and accidents have a direct correlation with how good of a driver you are. First off, it shows responsibility. Secondly it shows awareness and subsequently reaction time. Three fundamental traits required to be a good driver.
Traffic tickets have a higher correlation with WHERE AND WHEN YOU DRIVE.

There are some places (mostly dinky, little towns with one police car) where you will get nailed for speeding even if you go 1-2 mph over the limit.

Also, I seriously doubt that there is any driver in this group who can truthfully say that they have never exceeded the speed limit in their life -- even if was 1-2 mph over!

Not only that, there are plenty of times when you have to go slower than the speed limit, at those times, you're speeding even if you never exceed the limit.

For example, here in Florida drivers are required to drive 20mph less than the posted speed limit whenever passing a stopped police or emergency vehicle attending to an accident on a roadway -- even if it is a multilane highway.

Being a good driver entails not only knowing the particular traffic rules and regulations of where you drive, but also knowing how they are enforced, and how other drivers observe them.

You can be just as dead having the right of way as not having it. Sometimes, accident avoidance requires you to do things that are not exactly following the rules of the road.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I do agree however, there are instances where there is nothing you can do to avoid a accident though. For example, driving up a hill with 4 lanes (2 up/2down). There is a 30* turn coming up and you are in the far right hand lane with a barrier. You are doing 35mph and the car in the left lane is along side you, passing at 37mph when some idiot comes barreling down the hill, loses control of his car and understeers straight at you. You can't swerve right because of the barrier, can't swerve left because of the guy right along side of you. Quite frankly you don't have enough power or time to make a last ditch effort to accelerate past the car. You slam on the brakes, the idiot in the car that is out of control crosses the centerline and slams into the gaurdrail in your lane. Momentum takes over and now you are exchanging insurance paperwork.
Taking your whole post into context it is not a direct correlation, indirect perhaps. Of all the accidents I have been in 5, only one was my fault and I was 16 at the time with one month of driving under my belt. I rear-ended a lady after following too close. The other 4 accidents have all been other driver's faults and I had no way to avoid them, nor would have traveling any slower helped either. Three of the accidents I was stopped and either rear-ended or side-swiped.

As far as the tickets, I've had 6 tickets. All of them for speeding. I watch out like crazy for cops, but you can't see them all. And because I speed does that make me less responsible? No. If I speed beyond my driving ability or beyond the safety of the road conditions at the time then yes.

So I say it again accidents and traffic tickets are a good indication of how "good" of a driver one is. There are many other factors that play into accidents and tickets to make that correlation at all.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:45 AM

I think all accidents can be avoided, the only problem is that perfect drivers do not exist so even the best driver might get in to an avoidable accident. MrGone, I personally avoid getting in to the situations when someone drives right beside me and there's a wall on the other side, especially in the corners. No offence, 'cause again, perfect drives do not exist, one person drives more careful in one situation, somebody else drives more careful in a different situation.

Quick Reply: How good of a driver do you think YOU are?