General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Rate your skills:
There is no one better then I am!
13.65%
I am a good driver, I can hold my own.
69.15%
I am alright...
14.33%
I need improvement, the gas pedal frightens me.
0.92%
I drive like a 90yr old. I love the brake pedal, and use it even when I am pressing the gas.
1.95%
Voters: 872. You may not vote on this poll

How good of a driver do you think YOU are?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im a better driver than h2kfrosty, so thats pretty fantastic ! i also beat Tony Stewart in a 3 lap battle around atlanta motorspeedway in my maxima a few years back!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:54 AM

Accidents are accidents, alot of them are unavoidable. it is the ones you avoid that make you a good driver. rush hour traffic is the worst if you ride a daily driver like me. Everyones in a bad mood and everyone is trying to get there first. Keeping your cool in times like that I think definitely makes you a good driver.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:46 PM

I have to consider myself an aggressive driver. Granted I don't drive much I like to keep my distance from other people. I do this believing that their stupidity won't hurt me this way and if something happens to my car at least they have early warning of my loss of control and can at least try to avoid my car.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 AM

I used to drive like a crazy **** but now that i'm in my late 20s i've settled down and drive like a grandma LOL
Old 07-04-2006, 09:29 PM

if it werent for a broken ball joint i could corner like crazy, other than that im fine.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

Seems to me that most of the people who consider themselves "good" drivers should also markthemselves under the "stupid" drivers category. being able to drive like a nascar driver is all fine and dandy, but if you think you can pull that **** off on normal roads you're an idiot and should be put in jail. There's a time and place for everything...
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
Seems to me that most of the people who consider themselves "good" drivers should also markthemselves under the "stupid" drivers category. being able to drive like a nascar driver is all fine and dandy, but if you think you can pull that **** off on normal roads you're an idiot and should be put in jail. There's a time and place for everything...
And you come to the ORG boards because...?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

well I mean if you're going to drift around like those crazy guys in Iraq... everyone's gotta have a little fun on the roads, no doubt..
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM

I think Im a pretty good driver and I can hold my own. I've been driving for almost 8 years and I've never had a car accident *knock on wood*. I've just been rear-ended and then clipped on the expressway in teh rain and totalled my car, but other than that, I like to think Im pretty good.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 AM

I've won a few trophies in a local Solo 2 series (FWD Class Champ & Overall Rookie) and a whack of them in a Karting series I've competed in. That said I know there are plenty of drivers areound that could had me my *** on the track.

IMHO You really can't evaluate your driving until you test your limits on a track. You really can't (nor should you LOL) push that hard on the street. I guarantee you your driving limits end far before you reach the limits of your car. And that's before you modify anything.

Once you've humbled yourself on the track go out with an experienced driver and you'll quickly find out just where your skills lie. I found I was nowhere near where I thought I'd be, and that was after winning at Solo 2 and Karting.

If any of you have a chance to take your car to the track jump on it. As long as you don't do anything stupid you won't hurt the car. You'll eat up some tires and brake pad material, but it's well worth the cost.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I think we all see different shades of gray on ability. Laws tend to be more black and white and can affect the "official" determination of whether you're a good driver or not. The official word from state police and driving instruction is that ALL ACCIDENTS ARE AVOIDABLE This statement really only holds 100% in a single car accident, 80% in a 2-car accident(i say 80% because it's still largely determined by YOUR perception whether or not you can avoid the OTHER guy being an Idiot) however i say after that, the percentage only goes down slightly until you get to about as many cars as it takes to TOTALLY block every option of evasion you have, only then can you consider the accident unavoidable. these relate to acts of god (hail and white-outs) and uncalculated mechanical failure (what i mean by this is that any measure of personal regular maintenance to your car could not have prevented the failure) I think being a good driver means keeping cool behind the wheel even if the car leaves your control, because even the best don't have 100% car control 100% of the time. This has been proven in countless Rally and F1 races. Michael Schumacher, the highest-paid and oft-considered best driver in the world (many also disagree, but not my point) can be quoted as saying the USGP is a "candyland" track (reffering to how easy it is to drive) yet he STILL has managed to spin out. I also point this out because my car has done a 900degree flatspin on I96W, yet I was able to keep a cool head and take what control i had and prevent the car from any damage or contact with a stationary barrier or worse, the ditch. Accidents happen, but there's still alot affecting how bad things can be. Another thing that makes a good driver is recognizing your ability and matching it to the environment and situation. MOST of us especially here on the org may have several speeding tickets, but those don't calculate our ability, it calculates our luck, and the slyness of local law enforcement. I've seen some state troopers with downright EVIL hiding spots that gave me less than 2 car lengths notification before i passed their position. Mind you, i have many speeding tickets, mostly because im concentrating on the ROAD, and whether there are potential hazards or the need for input to keep my car going at the desired speed. 7 times out of 10 an officer is out there for your safety, and if he observes you in a safe manner, usually if he has to pull you over will be leinent so long as you're honest. 2 biggest things that **** them off is blatant disregard for the safety of people around you/the area, and trying to put some bullsh*t over on them. if you're doin 90 in a 70, don't play dumb and say you have no idea how fast you're going/supposed to be going, that just tells the officer MORESO that you need to be taught a lesson to correct your behavior. (back me up police officers!) I would say a third factor that determines your ability as a driver is talent. We all have some. Talent affects your adaptability to new situations. Anyone ever watch Initial D? there was a point that the main character had God-like talent, and lended him unrivaled adaptability. a good example is Rally Drivers. They are the most talented racers period. you can put them in ANY situation where they have little knowledge of a track or road conditions and they can keep going all-out. I saw Markko Martin have his hood fly open and block his view. He still managed to keep the pedal to the FLOOR and over 12km, only lost 2 SECONDS. I personally think driving like that is however, he had a good co-pilot and more talent in his right EAR than most of us have in our whole body. I think the final factor affecting how good ANYONE is, is the willingness to realize that NONE of us is perfect. We're always learning, and could use a new technique or experience to help us grow, and make us better. I ONLY selected that im the best because I think I'm good enough to beat most of you here, and only lose to the bad drivers who make risky, stupid manuvers and happen to have luck on their side that lets them get away with it. there should be one between "i can handle myself" and "i can beat anyone" that in reality would be my choice.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:17 PM

I drive like your grandparents. It takes me about 15 seconds to go from stopped to 40mph.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 PM

I am alright.., I had my license since Oct 04 and just got my 1st car last week a 98 Maxima GLE and haven't driven since Oct 04 lol. I'm getting more confidence each time though and think i'm getting better, just the parking gives me trouble a little.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by nalc
I drive like your grandparents. It takes me about 15 seconds to go from stopped to 40mph.

[
Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by rrama0257
I am alright.., I had my license since Oct 04 and just got my 1st car last week a 98 Maxima GLE and haven't driven since Oct 04 lol. I'm getting more confidence each time though and think i'm getting better, just the parking gives me trouble a little.
Oct 04........................................
Old 07-11-2006, 04:54 AM

definitely need improvement. I want to be able to be completely aware of my surroundings and mentally know where all the cars are around me based on when i pull up near them or when they pass me in the day (at night its easy ot know because of headlights)
Old 07-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Oh My ! And you live/drive in Edison?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 AM

I would say I am a fairly decent driver. One thing that some people might want to consider doing is an advanced driver training course. If you live in the Massachusetts area, then I recommend InControl ADT, web site of incontroladt.com . I did the basic program, and while it is mostly younger kids, there were a few older people. I found it completely worth it, and you get to beat the crap out of a new altima, without messing with your car. In other areas of the country, you might be able to find something like it, and if you can, I highly suggest it. Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM

I am atleast aware of my surroundings most of the time, that is more than I can say for a majority of drivers. I don't speed unless I'm late but I keep it under 85mph on highway.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 PM

My Skill are hardcore, but then again I regularly go to EnglishTown in my Mustang. Planning on going to Bertil Roos Advanced driving School in the not to far future
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 AM

I only speed down this one strip of road behind some buildings, never a speeding ticket
Old 07-24-2006, 08:59 PM

Survived this long!

I've done some crazy stuff. Gotten sideways on a mountain road doing 60 when the speed limit was 25; raced Porsches in an old MG and stayed with them through the twisties (after catching them again after they blasted away on the straights). The only accidents I've had, I've been hit sitting at red lights (SEVEN times now!!!) I recognize my skills (or desire to test them) are less than they were years ago. I'm happy to let other people drive crazy most of the time now, but can still drive a tight line when I need to. Saw an autocross event this past weekend. I miss it, but my car is too old (186k) to ask it to run that hard.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I voted "I am a good driver, I can hold my own." I baby my fiancee's new bought '90 Maxima and would never try to drift or race it. Otherwise, it's in other cars that I can fishtail, drift, top out and thread thru traffic at 90+ without breaking a sweat.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 AM

I turned my 71 chevelle sideways, nose pointed straight at the guard rail, going onto one of those u-turn type offramps....
The car broke loose way easier than I thought, but I held it almost perfectly..
I need improvement on my drifting skills, but as far as quick reactions, knowing what to do in what situation... I got mad skillz
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 AM

I think I'm fair enough, I don't really push my max a lot. I hate going through turns w/ it because of the nasty body roll. Give me a car that has good suspension, and I'm good. Then again let me pull out my motorcycle and it's a wrap.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM

No wrecks or tickets. But like everyone says, violations aren't what determines driving level. I did take a police driving course though. So I can avoid an object 10 feet in front of my car (96 Max SE) at 45 MPH.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
You know how I do....

I'll go against the grain and say I'm simply alright. I've been in 2 accidents in the 4 years I've been driving...both in bad weather however. One was my fault, but not really my fault. It was snowing and i was making a left turn, and i hit somebody idling in a firehydrant zone...Another I was in a 4 car accident, the road was slippery cuz of the rain and some cars ahead of me already crashed (Roosevelt BLVD, in Philly [Philly people know how notorious this street is, one of the 10 worst in the country])

But I'm good in most circumstances, despite my bad luck. I speed, but I do it conservatively. No speeding tickets or moving violations...I don't race. I can't really drive stick, which is why I just rate myself as alright. Strangely enough, I can ride a motorcycle tho, so maybe it just boils down to my lack of time behind the wheel of a stick.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Racer_M
I'll go against the grain and say I'm simply alright. I've been in 2 accidents in the 4 years I've been driving...both in bad weather however. One was my fault, but not really my fault. It was snowing and i was making a left turn, and i hit somebody idling in a firehydrant zone...Another I was in a 4 car accident, the road was slippery cuz of the rain and some cars ahead of me already crashed (Roosevelt BLVD, in Philly [Philly people know how notorious this street is, one of the 10 worst in the country])

But I'm good in most circumstances, despite my bad luck. I speed, but I do it conservatively. No speeding tickets or moving violations...I don't race. I can't really drive stick, which is why I just rate myself as alright. Strangely enough, I can ride a motorcycle tho, so maybe it just boils down to my lack of time behind the wheel of a stick.
I was about to say way to go for saying you're all right when I think a lot of "I can hold my own"s probably can't. But listening to you, I think I may be a little better than you!
Seriously, though. Yeah I speed too. I hit a hundred all the time on the interstate. Used to top it out all the time. Well, around 135 was the highest I've ever gotten on flat land. It won't even do that now. Like 120 or 125 if I have a whole lotta space. I have never come close to having an accident, though...when I speed. I watch everything like a hawk. My two accidents that I count were at 40 to 45 miles per hour. One was because of distraction and one was because of the road. I don't count the fenderbender.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Not a single accident ever! Was in one caused by someone else!

However, several speeding tickets....although that's sometimes a consequence of owning a nice powerful Maxima

(worst was a 76 in a 40!)
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 AM

When I was younger I thought I was a very good driver, like most of us I would gather, but as I have gotten older I have realised that I am probably average maybe a little more.

At this point I know when my rim collapsed I managed to miss a tree and control the car down the sidewalk missing things like electrical boxes, all while sliding partly on the frame. Many can say that a "good driver" would have controlled the car without hitting the curb, and there is some validity to that, but even professional drivers, which I am certainly no where near as good, hit walls when tires blow and mechanical failures happen.

I might even say, in retrospect, that I am a less than average driver because I put myself in a situation where the accident happened by driving faster than the car could apparently mechanically endure.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
When I was younger I thought I was a very good driver, like most of us I would gather, but as I have gotten older I have realised that I am probably average maybe a little more.

At this point I know when my rim collapsed I managed to miss a tree and control the car down the sidewalk missing things like electrical boxes, all while sliding partly on the frame. Many can say that a "good driver" would have controlled the car without hitting the curb, and there is some validity to that, but even professional drivers, which I am certainly no where near as good, hit walls when tires blow and mechanical failures happen.

I might even say, in retrospect, that I am a less than average driver because I put myself in a situation where the accident happened by driving faster than the car could apparently mechanically endure.
For the purposes of this thread, I'd bet that you're a good little bit better than average.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm a great driver. No accidents, tickets. I find that I actually compensate for other peoples poor driving. I could have been in several accidents but have managed to avoid other peoples mistakes.

I've found that now that I'm married I'm more conservative.
Also, since I'm new to driving a clutch and this car is longer than my previous ride I'm going through a phase now where I’m getting used to the cars dimensions, engine, and all that it is and is not capable of. It might take a while since I had my previous car for 8 years and 150,000 miles.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Don't you know who I am?

You are all of you deceived. Being a good driver is not about how fast you can take a turn, how many tickets you have, how many accidents you were in.

The speed at which you travel, regardless of the limit, has nothing to do with how good of a driver you are. Knowing exactly where you are on the road, exactly what is around you, how its moving relative to you, and acting accordingly are what make you a good driver.

I hear a lot of people bragging about how they narrowly escaped accidents. A good driver doesn't get in the situation where they have to avoid one so narrowly, they see it coming with plenty of time to compensate; and I'm not saying they drive slower than the speed limit. Being able to reasonably predict how all things moving around you will react to you and how you should react to them are key to being a good driver. Just because you can take a 45mph curve at 80 and not lose control doesn't make you good if you cause someone around you to get scared and crash their own car. Driving speed limit when everyone else is honking their horns behind you and the line of cars is as far as the eye can see should NOT be rationalized with "well, they should obey the law anyway!", you are a terrible driver.

Examples of good driving habbits:
1.) maintaining constant speed on highways (whatever that speed may be) so that people around you know you're coming, know how your moving, and can react.
2.) constantly checking mirrors to see what is behind you, what is on the side of you, what is in front of you, and knowing how they are moving relative to you (changing lanes, constant speed, coming up on you, etc.)
3.) If some @sshat is tailgating you in the left lane on the highway, don't match pace with the car in the right to tick him off, "because he should obey the speed limit"; you should see him coming in your review, see that he is moving faster than you, change lanes to the right when you can, let him pass, and then change back if necessary. You can even use him as a rabbit for police
4.) Know and predict exactly how your car reacts to your movements, and use it wisely, always maintain control.
5.) "Defensive Driving" is a term used by over-cautious traffic diseases to justify their inane ability to **** people off and in turn initiate dangerous situations when hot-headed over-angered people try to retaliate/get around/punish/flyby/etc. the jerk who just slammed their brakes to stop inches short of a yellow light. If you drive the speed limit in the left lane, stop for just-turned yellow lights, wait 3 full seconds before proceeding at a green light, etc. etc. etc. during rush hour traffic, shame on you . You aren't helping, you should be shot :. The best defense is a good offense.

As for me, I could use improvement as a driver. The only rule I follow religiously is 5. A lot of time I get road rage and start driving like a madman because of some @sshat like #5. Sometimes I drive on autopilot, and this is when a lot of bad things can happen, because I'm not as aware of what's around me. I really feel that for TRAFFIC driving, being aware of what is around you is most important. Maybe car control is most important at the track or speedway, but it comes second to knowing everything else that's going on when it comes to real roads.

my 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
You are all of you deceived. Being a good driver is not about how fast you can take a turn, how many tickets you have, how many accidents you were in.

The speed at which you travel, regardless of the limit, has nothing to do with how good of a driver you are. Knowing exactly where you are on the road, exactly what is around you, how its moving relative to you, and acting accordingly are what make you a good driver.

I hear a lot of people bragging about how they narrowly escaped accidents. A good driver doesn't get in the situation where they have to avoid one so narrowly, they see it coming with plenty of time to compensate; and I'm not saying they drive slower than the speed limit. Being able to reasonably predict how all things moving around you will react to you and how you should react to them are key to being a good driver. Just because you can take a 45mph curve at 80 and not lose control doesn't make you good if you cause someone around you to get scared and crash their own car. Driving speed limit when everyone else is honking their horns behind you and the line of cars is as far as the eye can see should NOT be rationalized with "well, they should obey the law anyway!", you are a terrible driver.

1.) maintaining constant speed on highways (whatever that speed may be) so that people around you know you're coming, know how your moving, and can react.
2.) constantly checking mirrors to see what is behind you, what is on the side of you, what is in front of you, and knowing how they are moving relative to you (changing lanes, constant speed, coming up on you, etc.)
3.) If some @sshat is tailgating you in the left lane on the highway, don't match pace with the car in the right to tick him off, "because he should obey the speed limit"; you should see him coming in your review, see that he is moving faster than you, change lanes to the right when you can, let him pass, and then change back if necessary. You can even use him as a rabbit for police
4.) Know and predict exactly how your car reacts to your movements, and use it wisely, always maintain control.
5.) "Defensive Driving" is a term used by over-cautious traffic diseases to justify their inane ability to **** people off and in turn initiate dangerous situations when hot-headed over-angered people try to retaliate/get around/punish/flyby/etc. the jerk who just slammed their brakes to stop inches short of a yellow light. If you drive the speed limit in the left lane, stop for just-turned yellow lights, wait 3 full seconds before proceeding at a green light, etc. etc. etc. during rush hour traffic, shame on you . You aren't helping, you should be shot :. The best defense is a good offense.

As for me, I could use improvement as a driver. The only rule I follow religiously is 5. A lot of time I get road rage and start driving like a madman because of some @sshat like #5. Sometimes I drive on autopilot, and this is when a lot of bad things can happen, because I'm not as aware of what's around me. I really feel that for TRAFFIC driving, being aware of what is around you is most important. Maybe car control is most important at the track or speedway, but it comes second to knowing everything else that's going on when it comes to real roads.

my 2 cents.
Well, if this thread has proven anything it's that when you ask the question of who's a good driver, you need to define "good driver". By your list, I'm excellent!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rydicule

my 2 cents.
I agree with you getting specific about the above mentioned traits of a "good driver" however everything you described is a product of what most of us have used to define ourselves as good drivers. No accidents/tickets/or avoiding close calls are a product of being aware of our surrounding, flowing with traffic etc.

I've been driving for over 10 years which is not much compared to some here, but I know that all the success I've had as a driver is a product of what you outlined, and most people would agree.

I think its funny when people brag about how fast they take a turn or whatever and come to find their driving record littered with citations. It's like someone bragging about how much money they make but having crappy credit...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 707SE
I think its funny when people brag about how fast they take a turn or whatever and come to find their driving record littered with citations. It's like someone bragging about how much money they make but having crappy credit...
Wow, great analogy. But I must admit that making a bunch of money but having bad credit is not a terrible situation to be in. If you make enough money, bad credit won't slow you down too much because you WILL be able to find SOMEBODY that will give you a high interest loan, credit card, mortgage, etc., and if you can pay it, it's all good.

Thusly, I think I would still be able to respect someone that can take a 45 mph curve with a slide at 80 mph or something, even with a sucky record.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
For the purposes of this thread, I'd bet that you're a good little bit better than average.
Thank you, and in the context of this thread I may be considered a good driver, though I obviously could use some improvement. I think I learned the most by driving in Los Angeles and Dallas during rush hours. When traffic goes from 70mph+ to bumper to bumper in mere moments, with no apparent reason, it is difficult to maintain your calm and flow, or not flow as the case may be, with traffic easily.

I also agree with what has been said about citations and accidents NOT being a reason to consider yourself a good driver, lucky does not equate to good. Knowledge of surroundings and putting yourself in the best possible position to avoid trouble is a bigger consideration, or as I like to call it "understanding the concept of other people". Too many people go about in their own little world oblivious to how it effects others. They are the ones with the "should obey the law anyway" mentality. And to those I will point out that "obstructing the flow of traffic" and "slower traffic keep right" are also laws that YOU can obey as well. There is a large push to eliminate aggressive driving yet no push to eliminate causes.

This thread should really make us all think about what a "good driver" truly is and what improvements we can make in ourselves.

A couple facts to consider. The number one cause of accidents is too fast for conditions. But do you know what the number two cause is?

Too slow for conditions.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 AM

I was born to drive, seriously
Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 AM

But people in RI SUCK at driving
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

pretty bad..hehehehe

Quick Reply: How good of a driver do you think YOU are?