General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Long Time, OG, I been here for ever Org Members Chime in !

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's fantastic! Sometimes I wish I still had the Maxima, although I think I'd rather still have my unmodded '99 SE 5MT over my modified '03 SE 6MT. It was less car, and slower, but just more fun to drive for some reason. Both were bought new, back in the day.

Who else still has their Maxima? And what are you driving now? (My G is in my sigline, so there's that.)
I still visit time to time, just to see what has changed and who is still around. I'm sure most know part of the changes with this forum was the shift for many toward the Facebook Maxima "forums." I recall observing a significant decrease in activity during that time. Of course, nothing compares to this holy grail of a library full of experience and knowledge!

For me, in the final days of Maxima ownership, I still had my 1989 Maxima VG30ET and 2003 SE which was my daily. Ultimately, after owning my 1989 for 18 years (yup, had it that long), going through a divorce, second marriage, and ultimately needing to make a new home for my family - I sold my turbo to my neighbor, who still owns it. I laugh, he said the primary reason he bought it is to just listen to it run. Guy has yet to put it on the road! LOL! He told me last year that he had put about two tanks of gas through it just idling....the car did sound damn good with that cam in it!
My 2003 ended up getting passed to my 18 year old son as his first car. Regretfully, he decided to sell it about 6 months ago...along with NWP 5 piece intake spacer kit, transgo HD2, Stillen RSB, Q-Link, Wrayth torque mount, Cattman 3" catback with Catlonator resonator, and Cattman headers and Y pipe (and a few other odds and ends). Just shook my head. He had sadly trashed the car anyhow, but told him I would have bought it back just to take the parts off it.

After selling my house and now being without a daily, I decided to step back from sedans now that my family was aging and shrinking as the kids start driving and leaving the nest. I subsequently purchased a 2016 Frontier with essentially a modified VQ35 making it a 4.0. Last year someone turned in front of me at a greenlight and totaled the truck. I turned the insurance money around and purchased a 2017 Frontier....same truck, different color - and swapped over all my mods. Here I am, still rocking the brand name and showing VQ love!!

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 09-18-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My '02 is still kicking with 240k miles and looks like new. I'm currently on the seemingly impossible quest to find non-vibrating CV axles, but other than that the car runs and drives great. Still on the original coils, MAF, o2 sensors, and full A/C system. I daily drove the maxima 80 miles a day up until 3 months ago, but now I have a company car so it's not driven quite as much and gets to sit in the garage a lot.

I've had a second car alongside the maxima since 2008. First a 1994 BMW 325is 5MT, then a 2010 VW GTI 6MT, 2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT, 2015 BMW 335i 6MT, and finally I just got a 2018 Nissan Titan Pro4X two weeks ago. The Titan is my first automatic vehicle, so it's a bit strange, but I'm wanting a boat so this was step 1.

Glad to see a lot of the members still around, and I still use the .org pretty frequently for information. Thanks to everyone for making it what it is.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by FAST4EN
18 year OG member checking in.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 PM

I got hit with the nostalgia bug today and decided to stop by here after a long time. The crazy thing is that I can remember how much time I spent here, the many cool people I met along the way and the fun experiences from back then. Meets, dyno days etc. I guess this was really my first taste of "social media". A lot has changed for me, after my 2k2 got totaled in 2011, I had to move onto something practical and got a 2010 Camry SE for 2 years then got myself at 9th Gen 2013 Accord EX-L which I still have till this day. Bought a house in 2013, got married in 2015 and child December 2016. Life is amazing with my family, but the fun car-modding days are long behind me. It's cool being an 18 year veteran of this community!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your last Maxima . .. . maybe it needs an 'RIP' on its sig line, too.

On car modding - it doesn't have to stop completely, and I'd argue that it shouldn't (mine never quite did). Dial it back a bit, maybe push it in a slightly different direction, make more careful choices, sure. "The more you can do yourself, the better" applies even more so once there's house, family, and planning for big future expenses/retirement taking priority.

Norm
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally Posted by DaBoxSE
I got hit with the nostalgia bug today and decided to stop by here after a long time. The crazy thing is that I can remember how much time I spent here, the many cool people I met along the way and the fun experiences from back then. Meets, dyno days etc. I guess this was really my first taste of "social media". A lot has changed for me, after my 2k2 got totaled in 2011, I had to move onto something practical and got a 2010 Camry SE for 2 years then got myself at 9th Gen 2013 Accord EX-L which I still have till this day. Bought a house in 2013, got married in 2015 and child December 2016. Life is amazing with my family, but the fun car-modding days are long behind me. It's cool being an 18 year veteran of this community!
Yooooooooooooooooo!!!

You should say they are temporarily behind you. I went through the same thing with house and kids and now that my kids are 10 and 8...yes this guy was allowed to have kids... i'm currently building my STI. It comes back if it really is a passion. It comes back hard too. The game hasn't changed a bit...
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

. . .

Last edited by Chris91SE; 03-24-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Sup!

Finally got new wheels. Year delay because we ended up buying a new house last year first. Ended up trading my wife's 2012 BMW x5d for a closeout 2018 Chevy Suburban Premier in Pepperdust/Dune with 22" wheels and 3.42 gears, picked up the beginning of November. I'm driving that now and she's driving the 335i.

Ended up going with a Suburban rather than a Yukon XL Denali because I don't need a freaking 6000 lb SUV to be nearly as fast as my 335i, and it's just asking for trouble when it doesn't handle or brake anywhere near as good, especially being used to Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Bimmer. Plus the Chevy 5.3L takes regular gas just fine, whereas the 6.2L in the Denali really wants premium. Umm, no thanks. Running costs are way lower on the Suburban. Love it so far. Tons of space, very comfortable, drives great, and power is more than adequate with the 3.42 gears. I can see why so many people have these. Love the V8 roar when you mash it too, but there's such a wide arc on the fuel gauge that you can literally see it going down when you do that!!!

Was sad to trade in the X5. LOVED the diesel. It was a great car and very reliable, but time and life has moved on. Even the X7 that just came out wouldn't have nearly been big enough, or the Benz GLS. About the only thing that came close in the crossover world was the Chevy Traverse, but I didn't want to buy something that was going to be marginally not big enough, and I hated all the color options on it so just said to hell with it and got the Burb. Wifey + 2 kids, her disabled brother that we care for, and we also got a dog too, so there you go (and I'd rather slit my wrists than drive a minivan)

Never thought I'd be driving anything like this, but stranger things have happened in life!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all you ORG OG's.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 12-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Dang, was a 335i a natural progression from a 4th gen Maxima or what? I bought one new, also bought a GM SUV new. And lastly a Lexus LS used. Now if you say you also got a Lexus LS, I dunno....that would be weird lol

think about this...my 1998 SE was my first new car, and now I have 4 cars....
I have zero interest in Lexus, but wouldn't mind a big BMW 7er barge or a S-Class at some point. I hope to be able to drive the Suburban 10 years, after which point the kids will be off to college and my wife and I have some plans to do some traveling and touring. My next most likely vehicle after this will probably be a full-sized truck to tow a travel trailer, but we'll see about that.

I remember somebody from this forum waaaay back bought a used Lexus LS when we were all modding and racing our Maximas and we thought he was

So long as I'm driving the Suburban, my wife can have the fun car, so will be interesting to see what she gets. Will probably get her something new(er) in 2-3 years and either sell the 335i or just keep it tucked away nicely for sunny days only. She wants either a Maserati Levante or a Porsche Panamera. She has boxes to check too.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Thanks for the update SteV. So, you beat the cancer 100% I hope?
Yup will be 8 years cancer free this coming February. Stage II testicular cancer survivor, 3 months of chemotherapy hell, and a really gruesome retroperitoneal lymph node dissection surgery later I was free of it. Shock of my life and terrifying times in the years after having to get scanned over and over and over again. Life is short. Enjoy every day and every moment that you have.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:06 PM

I have a **** TON of old pre-YouTube era car videos, including tons of Maxima videos. I wonder if I can attach them here??

yoitsok_vs_sprintmax_2.

Let's see if this works!
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg
yoitsok_vs_sprintmax_2.mpeg (2.85 MB, 20 views)
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Sup!

Finally got new wheels. Year delay because we ended up buying a new house last year first. Ended up trading my wife's 2012 BMW x5d for a closeout 2018 Chevy Suburban Premier in Pepperdust/Dune with 22" wheels and 3.42 gears, picked up the beginning of November. I'm driving that now and she's driving the 335i.

Ended up going with a Suburban rather than a Yukon XL Denali because I don't need a freaking 6000 lb SUV to be nearly as fast as my 335i, and it's just asking for trouble when it doesn't handle or brake anywhere near as good, especially being used to Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the Bimmer. Plus the Chevy 5.3L takes regular gas just fine, whereas the 6.2L in the Denali really wants premium. Umm, no thanks. Running costs are way lower on the Suburban. Love it so far. Tons of space, very comfortable, drives great, and power is more than adequate with the 3.42 gears. I can see why so many people have these. Love the V8 roar when you mash it too, but there's such a wide arc on the fuel gauge that you can literally see it going down when you do that!!!

Was sad to trade in the X5. LOVED the diesel. It was a great car and very reliable, but time and life has moved on. Even the X7 that just came out wouldn't have nearly been big enough, or the Benz GLS. About the only thing that came close in the crossover world was the Chevy Traverse, but I didn't want to buy something that was going to be marginally not big enough, and I hated all the color options on it so just said to hell with it and got the Burb. Wifey + 2 kids, her disabled brother that we care for, and we also got a dog too, so there you go (and I'd rather slit my wrists than drive a minivan)

Never thought I'd be driving anything like this, but stranger things have happened in life!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all you ORG OG's.

Completely understand the need for the Suburban and it's nice but c'mon, the nearly matching E70/E93 was pretty cute.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Completely understand the need for the Suburban and it's nice but c'mon, the nearly matching E70/E93 was pretty cute.
Yup they were! Both Deep Sea Blue! 2011 E93 and 2012 E70. End of an era. Great cars and they literally don't make them like they used to anymore. So sad that most modern BMWs don't feel any better to drive than a Toyota Camry! Someone up the street from us where we moved to had done the same thing, except an X5 and a 135i convertible, both black. Nice mid-life crisis options either way.

Left it up to my wife and which to keep and which to trade she'd be the one driving it. She wanted to hold onto the convertible, so just put some money into it and got a new set of winter tires for it. Need to do oil pan, water pump, and battery sometime in the next year, too. If it wasn't for the dog we'd probably be on the pre-order list for the new X7 now. Oh well!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 AM

Yup they were! Both Deep Sea Blue! 2011 E93 and 2012 E70. End of an era. Great cars and they literally don't make them like they used to anymore. So sad that most modern BMWs don't feel any better to drive than a Toyota Camry! Someone up the street from us where we moved to had done the same thing, except an X5 and a 135i convertible, both black. Nice mid-life crisis options either way.

Left it up to my wife and which to keep and which to trade she'd be the one driving it. She wanted to hold onto the convertible, so just put some money into it and got a new set of winter tires for it. Need to do oil pan, water pump, and battery sometime in the next year, too. If it wasn't for the dog we'd probably be on the pre-order list for the new X7 now. Oh well!
I know exactly what you mean.. I'm in an F15. lol Coming from the AMG I needed a decent balance of power and space though so the list was short.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
I know exactly what you mean.. I'm in an F15. lol Coming from the AMG I needed a decent balance of power and space though so the list was short.
Yeah it sucks when life and responsibilities catch up with you, and you end up having to buy a car based more on what you need than anything you want, but I can be enthusiastic about a Suburban believe it or not! They were mostly all still crap back in the day, but I'd always wanted a domestic of some sort, always wanted a pickup (close enough), and always wanted something with a V8, so still got to cross off a number of boxes. I've been extremely fond of GM small block V8's for a long time. They were the antithesis of everything the import philosophy was about, yet still managed to kick so much ***, so always had mad respect for them. Ford has already "sold out", and I'm guessing it'll be one more generation of GM trucks before they end up doing the same with base turbo V6's. Get a V8 while you still can!!! Would have loved the Corvette derived L86 6.2L but just didn't want to pay for the (premium) gas for it. Cannot believe how good it drives and handles for such a large vehicle on 22's. The Mag Ride suspension is amazing, and if BMWs had whatever special sauce electric power steering that GM has in the Burb, nobody would be complaining about numb and pinky light steering in the Bimmers these days. The Suburban Premiers with the Mag Ride suspension (and the Denalis if you want more power) are very nicely "hooked up" rides that drive and handle well.

Why did you get a Suburban if you don't tow anything? Hold my beer.

I'm actually planning to rent a small travel trailer and camp out at Dover this coming year with my son for the NASCAR race weekend. He's really into that series now just like I was at his age, so should be a fun little adventure for both of us. Will also be great for just tossing our bikes in the back and hitting various trails around here, which should be fun too. Believe me, I'll make good use of this thing.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:14 PM

Yeah it sucks when life and responsibilities catch up with you, and you end up having to buy a car based more on what you need than anything you want, but I can be enthusiastic about a Suburban believe it or not! They were mostly all still crap back in the day, but I'd always wanted a domestic of some sort, always wanted a pickup (close enough), and always wanted something with a V8, so still got to cross off a number of boxes. I've been extremely fond of GM small block V8's for a long time. They were the antithesis of everything the import philosophy was about, yet still managed to kick so much ***, so always had mad respect for them. Ford has already "sold out", and I'm guessing it'll be one more generation of GM trucks before they end up doing the same with base turbo V6's. Get a V8 while you still can!!! Would have loved the Corvette derived L86 6.2L but just didn't want to pay for the (premium) gas for it. Cannot believe how good it drives and handles for such a large vehicle on 22's. The Mag Ride suspension is amazing, and if BMWs had whatever special sauce electric power steering that GM has in the Burb, nobody would be complaining about numb and pinky light steering in the Bimmers these days. The Suburban Premiers with the Mag Ride suspension (and the Denalis if you want more power) are very nicely "hooked up" rides that drive and handle well.

Why did you get a Suburban if you don't tow anything? Hold my beer.

I'm actually planning to rent a small travel trailer and camp out at Dover this coming year with my son for the NASCAR race weekend. He's really into that series now just like I was at his age, so should be a fun little adventure for both of us. Will also be great for just tossing our bikes in the back and hitting various trails around here, which should be fun too. Believe me, I'll make good use of this thing.
They're definitely really nice, I've seen and worked on plenty already but too big for me still. My kids are 13 now (both of them today actually !) and I just need to shuttle them to school and such like that so no need for large. Mid size SUV with twin snails on an 8 cylinder does me well so far !
Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Nothing really changed except that new owners are looking for that Cattman 3 inch exhaust setup.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Hey OG's, hope you are all doing great. Life has been good to me so far, family is good, 1 of 4 kids out the house! Rocking a 99 Mustang Cobra now, autocross and weekend cruiser. Cheers!

99 Cobra Auto crossing

Old vid of my 98

TT G35 drag racing

2016 Mustang GT PP on road course

Last edited by MardiGrasMax; 11-21-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: adding video link
Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Hey OG's, hope you are all doing great. Life has been good to me so far, family is good, 1 of 4 kids out the house! Rocking a 99 Mustang Cobra now, autocross and weekend cruiser. Cheers!
The legend reappears! The Mustang looks *****in'. What ever happened to the TT G35 of yours?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
The legend reappears! The Mustang looks *****in'. What ever happened to the TT G35 of yours?
Your too kind. I sold it a while back, I do miss the G35 the most. I had a 2016 Mustang GT PP for a year, too uncomfortable to daily so I have a Fusion as a DD now
Old 11-21-2019, 11:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

Hey guys. I still have my '99 supercharged SE. 115,000 miles. I donated my '96 to Kars for Kids. My new love is a 2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400. Lots and lots of mods done to her so far, and more on the way.

Three kids 3, 6, and 9.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Sup ORG! Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's a one year review of my 2018 Chevy Suburban. This thing is da bomb! We love it!

CHEVY SUBURBAN LYFE - ONE YEAR REVIEW

Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just joined but I was a member back around 05. I just got a 2019. This is my third maxima but my first one in 15 years. Gotta say it's great to be back and this car has come a long way since the 95 se I had. Love this thing!
Old 03-09-2020, 01:10 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Mb41980
I just joined but I was a member back around 05. I just got a 2019. This is my third maxima but my first one in 15 years. Gotta say it's great to be back and this car has come a long way since the 95 se I had. Love this thing!
Welcome (Back?). Original user name? Pics of new Maxi?
Old 11-22-2020, 07:28 AM

I'm still around.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by FAST4EN
I'm still around.
I'm still around too! I joined April 2006 but my first Maxima was in January 2004. I still have my 2012 Maxima, use an Altima 3.5 SR for my work car and just bought an M550i on Saturday. Seriously considering an 8th generation for my replacement Maxima. I'm glad this forum is still around and going strong.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:29 AM
JET Speed Lab

Old 08-27-2021, 12:11 PM

been around since 1997, back again -
Old 04-16-2022, 01:08 AM

looks like the end is near.
drove my 1995 Max off the lot May of 1995
still my daily driver for the moment. over 27 years after it left the factory .
I will be handing if off to my Nephew who was not born when I bought it.
still runs and drives perfectly fine and outside of routine Maintenance have had no major issues at all.
I have been waiting patiently for a true 4DSC to come back from Nissan for too long.
even thought about getting a new Z this year. but nobody has any idea when they will come and I honestly need a vehicle
that is all weather capable. the Max is a no go because **** CVT, if they had come out with a nice 8 speed auto I would have probably bought one.
after checking the Q50 and finding it lacking. I will be going Genesis G70
been a great Run here. was always hanging out here in the early years and would pop in even recently. but it's time to move on.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:07 PM
Old Timer

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
All information pretty much in that link .. damn ive been here long
You're still the ugliest bish here too. 🤣
Old 06-25-2022, 02:36 AM

Nostalgia!
Old 10-06-2022, 07:16 AM

check in
Old 11-22-2022, 07:07 PM

Wow it's been over 12 years since I popped in here! Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 11-23-2022, 05:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

Cool to see y’all doing well! Late boomer but been here a while. Gone through many Maximas only got one left 🥲
Old 11-26-2022, 12:11 PM
aka UNCDooD

Old 11-28-2022, 10:46 PM

Sup everyone! Still here. Joined Apr. of 02.

20 year vet!
Old 11-29-2022, 09:14 PM

my dumb azz is still alive lol after I scrapped my 3rd gen in 2011 with 430,000km I imported this thing in nearly new shape and bagged the snot out of it for 10 years, it started getting rusty/engine got knock and I built a clapped Supra 2JZGTE to new ground up 500hp single turbo, swapped it in and got the entire chassis restored to boomer tier Barrett-Jackson spec for $50k this winter lol. Far cry from 12 years back when I was pestering everyone on here with dumb basic questions on my 3rd gen Maxima this bish is slammed it's just unloaded with the drivetrain out on jank wheels and the suspension is getting all replaced rn

Hope everyone is well, and I apologize for the half dozen PM I haven't read since I was on here last years ago. Glad to see the 1st-3rd gen sections are still somewhat active, I miss it and it's not fun having a chassis that doesn't even have a forum like this anymore and I miss the old 3rd gen group buys 2009 era lol

Last edited by chrome91; 11-29-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
Wow it's been over 12 years since I popped in here! Hope everyone is doing well!
whats giong on protege!!! I think I still remember you? my brain cells do forget but Im sure if I see you I ll remember you

Jaime
Old 12-05-2022, 05:38 PM

Matt How are you? your in a Mustang now? sweet sure that came boosted stock!!! Im in Lawrenceville Ga have 3 more kids with my beautiful wife!!! maybe we can meet up one day. I dont have a Maxima have a Honda Odyssey van a 2012 E50 AMG package thats it!!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:53 PM
Licensed to Spell

Hey guys! :wave:

Quick Reply: Long Time, OG, I been here for ever Org Members Chime in !