General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP HELP, Stripped Bolt Brake lines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I pretty much rouded off a bolt on the brake line while installing SS lines!! I took off the back two fine. 10mm wrench. Then when I got to the front.. Its rounded really bad! Suggestions please.. This is really really bad!

ZuM
Old 05-13-2001, 02:07 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Did you use flared wrenches? Definitely don't use those 12 point wrenches. I'm not sure how to remove a 'hopelessly' stripped bolt head though... Good luck!
Old 05-13-2001, 02:13 PM

I used a 4 or 5 sided wrench.. I thought for sure I wouldn't strip anything with that..

=(

Originally posted by Chunger
Did you use flared wrenches? Definitely don't use those 12 point wrenches. I'm not sure how to remove a 'hopelessly' stripped bolt head though... Good luck!
Old 05-13-2001, 05:46 PM

Nutcracker

No..not the play, the tool. Go to your favorite autoparts store and borrow one. You put it on over the bolt and use a ratchet to tighten it up. Wear glasses to protect your eyes. Eventually when its tight enough it will break off and go flying in a few pieces. Then you just have to buy another bolt to fit that bolt. I had to do this with my brake install. I have a nutcracker I bought thought from Harbor Freight and tool

Good luck.

SHUMAX
Old 05-13-2001, 05:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

will.

vise grips work?
Old 05-13-2001, 06:54 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You have to use flare nut wrench for brake lines. Use a vise grip to get the damaged one off. You will have to replace the hard brake line since it's ruined now. Hopefully you can pick it up at the dealership, if not you will have custom make them yourself. Auto parts store sells brake lines. You will have to bent and flare the ends yourself.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
I pretty much rouded off a bolt on the brake line while installing SS lines!! I took off the back two fine. 10mm wrench. Then when I got to the front.. Its rounded really bad! Suggestions please.. This is really really bad!

ZuM
Old 05-13-2001, 08:04 PM

Thanks guys. What I did was get a pair of vicegrips. Gripped them down really really hard.. yelled MOTHERF*CKER!! and it went CRACK and it came off.. =) I just put the nut back on with the vicegrips.. =) I think the front two brake lines have thread sealer. Like Loctite or something. Anyways. The lines are in.. =) Initial brake feel is about the same. But push down past middle and it clamps down hard now. Pedal is about 40% stiffer. Pretty nice.

ZuM
Old 05-13-2001, 08:11 PM

I stripped them too!

But I didn't complete replace the rigid line. I cut it (the line) off just above the stripped nut with a cut/off wheel on my Dremel moto-tool leaving the stripped nut in the rubber line that you're removing anyway. You can buy a little adapter fitting at any parts store that has the nut part on one end and the male threaded part on the other. I think the thread diameter is either M10 or M12. You put it on the cut-off end of the rigid line, thread down, and re-flare the rigid line with a flaring tool. Then the threaded end goes into your new stainless line. Still requires a flaring tool, but without replacing the whole line. Been there, broke that too!
Damn, there's Tony's NOS set-up again. I wish he'd stop waving that thing under my nose. I'm gettin light-headed.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:47 PM

Re: I stripped them too!

OMG, I'm glad I didn't have to go though that. The vicegrips helped out a lot.. =)

ZuM

Originally posted by maxmizd27
But I didn't complete replace the rigid line. I cut it (the line) off just above the stripped nut with a cut/off wheel on my Dremel moto-tool leaving the stripped nut in the rubber line that you're removing anyway. You can buy a little adapter fitting at any parts store that has the nut part on one end and the male threaded part on the other. I think the thread diameter is either M10 or M12. You put it on the cut-off end of the rigid line, thread down, and re-flare the rigid line with a flaring tool. Then the threaded end goes into your new stainless line. Still requires a flaring tool, but without replacing the whole line. Been there, broke that too!
Damn, there's Tony's NOS set-up again. I wish he'd stop waving that thing under my nose. I'm gettin light-headed.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

lesson learned..the right tool for the right job is EXTREMELY important.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:24 AM

I had a craftsman 10mm wrench. I thought that was the right tool for the job. I had to use the vicegrip on the other front side too. Because it was so tight. I initially used the wrench on the other side and felt that the bolt was rounding again. So I didn't bother wasting my time and I just used the vicegrip.. =D
Tip: When things are stuck and you can't get them off. Just get a really good grip of it. Yell "Motherf*cker" and give it all you got. =) Worked for me yesterday. Worked well while installing other stuff too.. Hehe. Consider it the DIY mechanic battle cry.. =)

ZuM

Originally posted by DanNY
lesson learned..the right tool for the right job is EXTREMELY important.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

u can use that too..

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
I had a craftsman 10mm wrench. I thought that was the right tool for the job. I had to use the vicegrip on the other front side too. Because it was so tight. I initially used the wrench on the other side and felt that the bolt was rounding again. So I didn't bother wasting my time and I just used the vicegrip.. =D
Tip: When things are stuck and you can't get them off. Just get a really good grip of it. Yell "Motherf*cker" and give it all you got. =) Worked for me yesterday. Worked well while installing other stuff too.. Hehe. Consider it the DIY mechanic battle cry.. =)

ZuM