General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A bit of wreckless driving with an Stang and 3000GT-->>

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:19 AM

It was a sunny day on Indian Head HWY(MD), as I went to pick up a friend in VA, when I noticed and passed a 3000GT (I think is said "LS" L somethin'). I wasn't racing I was just going pretty fast to get in sync with the 7 traffic lights I had ahead to get to 295(DC). Anyway the GT took this as a challenge and decided to pursue. I got good timing between the lights not having to stop but I did have to slice thru traffic a bit with the GT on my bumper. En route we passed a 5.0 Stang that was "slammed" and had a full body kit who obviously "thought" it would be a thrill to crush me and the GT.

We make it to the on ramp from Indian Head HWY to 295(dc) which is huge and has a nice RT curve near the end. I was still in the lead because I knew the traffic pattern so well. For some reason the GT got lost but the Stang dug into my bumper.. We finally get a clearing on the on ramp, which happened to be the only straight, I and the Stang then step on it. It was quite obvious this Stang was an Auto 5.0 and was one of those slow ones from a few years ago. We head down the stretch ~120 he on the left and I on the inside lane. The Stang saw the upcoming corner approaching fast and backed off a bit to about 90 I held out longer then slammed down to 100 and took the corner and pulled out hard.. Appearantly his(stang) suspension was cheap because every corner we took throughout the drive he backed off.. This put a huge gap between me and the Stang and the GT, which was somewhere behind the Stang by the time we actual entered onto 295.

Traffic on 295 was kinda thick plus the Stang and the GT were so far behind I thought they just gave up.. Boy was I wrong.. The GT must have passed the Stang at some point and was coming up on me fast.. I decided to let both of them shoot by and I trailed hoping to see the Stang and GT go at it.. Traffic was too thick for a couple of miles but we all got back into just before the on-ramp to 395(downtown). Once again the GT and Stang were timid on the corners and I passed them on the outside twice. I left them both on the last corner just as I entered 395 and never saw either of them again as I cruised into VA..

I'm thinking the GT was an Auto too but who knows.. What I can't understand or don't believe is that the Eibach/Tokico, STB and 17"s can out corner a 3000 GT. I understand the Stang since it was damn near touching the ground but not the GT. I guess one other advantage I had was that I have travelled that route almost daily since 91..
Old 05-14-2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima

What I can't understand or don't believe is that the Eibach/Tokico, STB and 17"s can out corner a 3000 GT. I understand the Stang since it was damn near touching the ground but not the GT. I guess one other advantage I had was that I have travelled that route almost daily since 91..
Familiarity with the roads is a definite plus, but I've heard that the suspension mods makes a world of difference. I am not into modding my Max, but I am seriously contemplating getting the FSTB and RSB (??). I just don't know if I would be able to install them myself, since I am not very handy with cars. Somebody said it took them 40 minutes to install one of the items, so I guess it'll take me about 6 hours
Old 05-14-2001, 03:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn Eben...

120mph down 295??? are you going to be the lead driver to the NY meet??....we should get there in no time!(j/k)
Old 05-14-2001, 07:34 PM

Re: Damn Eben...

No the on ramp between 210 and 295#;>) Actually I probably will lead from DC to PA but not in that fashion... Well at least I don't plan on it..

Originally posted by DA-MAX
120mph down 295??? are you going to be the lead driver to the NY meet??....we should get there in no time!(j/k)
Old 05-14-2001, 08:29 PM

the VR4 has the hicas style all wheel steer.. the SL's dont
any GT easily is very heavy.. id say about 4000 lbs ? That would explain the corners, and depending on the tires he had on i wouldnt chance it either... what are the stock GT tire sizes ... arent they 225's the smallest id venture to say would be 215's.... but then again im not sure.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:29 PM

the VR4 has the hicas style all wheel steer.. the SL's dont
any GT easily is very heavy.. id say about 4000 lbs ? That would explain the corners, and depending on the tires he had on i wouldnt chance it either... what are the stock GT tire sizes ... arent they 225's the smallest id venture to say would be 215's.... but then again im not sure.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:03 PM

Nice kills and nice drivin'!!

Just one word of advice..don't speed on the Penn Turnkpike in Pennsylvania (i think that's the 295 too)??

My dad gets caught there EVERYTIME we drive on it!! And he doesn't race either!
Old 05-14-2001, 09:27 PM

the 3000Gt Ls or sl is a pos, the only true Gt is the Vr4, they have 4 wheel drive and the 300 hp thats oh so nice
Old 05-15-2001, 04:32 AM

You can easily put the FSTB--->>

on with no problem. I'd just make sure the car is parked on level ground.

Originally posted by greggmax

Familiarity with the roads is a definite plus, but I've heard that the suspension mods makes a world of difference. I am not into modding my Max, but I am seriously contemplating getting the FSTB and RSB (??). I just don't know if I would be able to install them myself, since I am not very handy with cars. Somebody said it took them 40 minutes to install one of the items, so I guess it'll take me about 6 hours
Old 05-15-2001, 04:33 AM

I usually don't drive up north--->>

but I've sped on that Turnpike many a-times. Does your dad have a radar detector??

Originally posted by mAdD MAX

Just one word of advice..don't speed on the Penn Turnkpike in Pennsylvania (i think that's the 295 too)??

Old 05-15-2001, 04:35 AM

So to the lay person whom I passed-->>

they are going to think "damn that Max ate up a Stang and a 3000GT"....LOL!! Ya'll see what I do for our Maxima community#;>)

Originally posted by Kashoggio
the 3000Gt Ls or sl is a pos, the only true Gt is the Vr4, they have 4 wheel drive and the 300 hp thats oh so nice
Old 05-15-2001, 04:56 AM

Gotta just keep an eye out

I don't race the PA, but you just have to know where the cops hang. It's actually my favorite road to speed on. There is no middle break-through like the NJ turnpike or NY thruway. Cops have to park on the right, or hide behind an overpass. Just time your speeding and you'll be fine.
Old 05-15-2001, 05:03 AM

I can vouch for that. I got a ticket for doing 99.1 mph. Don't ask me how or why they measure tenths. The road in some spots is straight with some nice rolling hills and very little traffic. It's just begging you to open it up. It should be entrapment. I hit 122 before I caught up to traffic in front. The cop said they got me from the air. I was hoping they wouldn't send the info back to NJ, but they did.