General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

*2005 Summer Battle of the NA*

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Why no N20 cars?
Because nitrous is just too effective
Old 06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Why no N20 cars?
Well, I could jump back into that but then it would still be just a two horse race.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Nah, I think it was Aaron or Ceasar who was putting it together, and it was gonna be much longer than that. It was gonna be split up into all sorts of categories....
Ceasar put the one that I posted together.

I might be able to compete but my alt kills me ... 5200' = low 15's high 14's, but corrected = low 14's/high 13's. But you run what you run.

N/A = naturally aspirated. N2O isn't naturally found in our breathing air.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Because nitrous is just too effective
no because it is to easy . I want a person competing with me to go thru the blood sweat and tears like i have.
My third gear goes to around 120 MPH imagine the time i would run with slicks using nitrous in only second and third . the blood sweat and tears would be 0 % with that new et gained.
I have a friend with a few nitrous kits that he uses on a bunch of cars who will give me a setup and put it on for free . he constanly nags me and begs to let him put a kit on my car.

my point is a could fight tooth and nail to get the last few tenths NA that i want and have fun doing it or just let him put a kit on and then i flip the switch in third gear and gain that and more and be done and bored with nothing to work for.
I dont respect any car with nitrous and many people at my track dont either. many people after my runs like ive said came up and asked wheres my nitrous.If i said there it is they would have walked away saying "I knew it no import can go fast without it" Instead there where a crowd of people around my car one guy taking pics and a few bitter muscle car and import owners that knew a NA family car toasted them. I love that and i love fighting every inch of the way for a tenth.

Iam not trying to upset nitrous lovers but its cheap lazy speed.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by krismax
.If i said there it is they would have walked away saying "I knew it no import can go fast without it" Instead there where a crowd of people around my car one guy taking pics and a few bitter muscle car and import owners that knew a NA family car toasted them. I love that and i love fighting every inch of the way for a tenth.
Damn riiiiiight N/A rocks! Especially when it's a fully loaded SE that looks absolutely, completely stock right down to the Stock Sawblades and orange bumper lights
Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 PM
aka UNCDooD

I'm happy with what my car runs on motor. I would definitely like for it to be faster n/a for sure. But when people run there mouth that are just out of my reach from a deadstop I gotta have something to shut them up then and there.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by krismax
no because it is to easy . I want a person competing with me to go thru the blood sweat and tears like i have.
My third gear goes to around 120 MPH imagine the time i would run with slicks using nitrous in only second and third . the blood sweat and tears would be 0 % with that new et gained.
I have a friend with a few nitrous kits that he uses on a bunch of cars who will give me a setup and put it on for free . he constanly nags me and begs to let him put a kit on my car.

my point is a could fight tooth and nail to get the last few tenths NA that i want and have fun doing it or just let him put a kit on and then i flip the switch in third gear and gain that and more and be done and bored with nothing to work for.
I dont respect any car with nitrous and many people at my track dont either. many people after my runs like ive said came up and asked wheres my nitrous.If i said there it is they would have walked away saying "I knew it no import can go fast without it" Instead there where a crowd of people around my car one guy taking pics and a few bitter muscle car and import owners that knew a NA family car toasted them. I love that and i love fighting every inch of the way for a tenth.

Iam not trying to upset nitrous lovers but its cheap lazy speed.
My nitrous setup ran about $2000, plus I needed a new clutch ($500). You can't call that cheap. I also have great NA performance because of the JWT ECU- I just flip a switch and my timing is retarded and other adjustments are made when I spray.
Talking about blood, sweat and tears, my nitrous system blew out my old clutch and original engine, due from things such as a bad solenoid and a missing nitrous jet I've had this nitrous system in my possession for almost a year and I still haven't gotten it to spray properly.
However, I won't argue with you about nitrous being real fast though
Say what you will, but I plan to prove great NA performance goes well with nitrous on the side And I don't need to swap ECU's Just give me a few years
Old 06-28-2005, 06:02 AM
SLOW

Yeah I don't agree about the nitrous thing either. I've never sprayed nitrous except once when I was driving my friends 100shot maxima but nitrous isn't the cheap setup most people think it is. Sure maybe a 50 or 75 shot is, but guys that are serious about nitrous put alot of money into their setups, or they use nitrous as part of a larger setup like to spool up their $10,000 turbo/built motor setup or whatever.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:03 AM
VQ Wizard

So, if I go out and run a 12.6 NA then use Nitrous to get a 11.6 you guys will lose respect for me?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

No, as long as you keep N/A a part of your life.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
So, if I go out and run a 12.6 NA then use Nitrous to get a 11.6 you guys will lose respect for me?
Yes....because you still aren't faster than the other Matt
Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

There is a lot more fun to be had in life than trying to have the quickest car. I really don't care how fast my car is as long as I can get it to run consistantly ie within 1 or 2/100's of a sec and keep my r/t's below 50. Last weekend I raced 2 days and my average r/t for both days was .027 for 14 runs. That was against a field of over 100 V8 cars in my class (semi-pro). No I didn't win but I made it to the 4th round and there were less than 20 cars left.

Competition at the track is a lot more fun than competition on a forum.

Usually whoever has the most money wins the quickest car contest, thats life. HP is purchased, skill isn't.

Racing is a lot more than that. It takes a lot of work, consistency, determination and skill and who ever is the best racer wins.

I realize that putting another engine in your car and getting it to work the most efficiently with all the other stuff is a real challenge and gives a lot of satisfaction. Guys who do that should be patted on the back for all they have done.

However, crossing the finish line first is a rush I have never been able to duplicate in life and I have spent many years in and OUT of the winners circle in many sports. I don't do it for the accolades, I do it because I want the thrill of winning and being the best at what I do.

Sometimes I get lucky and it happens.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 AM
aka UNCDooD

oh and here is a picture of my timeslip for any non believers.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...7_147_full.jpg
Old 07-01-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
There is a lot more fun to be had in life than trying to have the quickest car. I really don't care how fast my car is as long as I can get it to run consistantly ie within 1 or 2/100's of a sec and keep my r/t's below 50. Last weekend I raced 2 days and my average r/t for both days was .027 for 14 runs. That was against a field of over 100 V8 cars in my class (semi-pro). No I didn't win but I made it to the 4th round and there were less than 20 cars left.

Competition at the track is a lot more fun than competition on a forum.

Usually whoever has the most money wins the quickest car contest, thats life. HP is purchased, skill isn't.

Racing is a lot more than that. It takes a lot of work, consistency, determination and skill and who ever is the best racer wins.

I realize that putting another engine in your car and getting it to work the most efficiently with all the other stuff is a real challenge and gives a lot of satisfaction. Guys who do that should be patted on the back for all they have done.

However, crossing the finish line first is a rush I have never been able to duplicate in life and I have spent many years in and OUT of the winners circle in many sports. I don't do it for the accolades, I do it because I want the thrill of winning and being the best at what I do.

Sometimes I get lucky and it happens.
Some people do both... like me Bracket racing is lots of fun. It's even more fun when you're doing it with a low 13 grocery getter.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Go Get a Life!

Competition at the track is a lot more fun than competition on a forum
It's the same thing you still have to go to the track, all your doing different is posting your time on the forum and comparing to others to see where you stand among the NA Maximas...

Any competition is fun for me, on the forum at the track Bracket racing, AutoX , Road Racing etc.etc. it's all fun...
Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Hell NO...that's the beauty of N20...you can have the best of both worlds IMHO.

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
It's the same thing you still have to go to the track, all your doing different is posting your time on the forum and comparing to others to see where you stand among the NA Maximas...

Any competition is fun for me, on the forum at the track Bracket racing, AutoX , Road Racing etc.etc. it's all fun...
There is a HUGE difference between racing vs going to Test & Tune and getting a time and posting it.

Having the competition right beside you is much different, plus you have the crowd, the announcer, the excitement of the adrenenlin flowing. Big difference.

What you are suggesting is like playing chess by mail.

I guess what ever turns your crank, but live competition is what I like, especially when I am gunning for $2k a race like I am doing for 8 more races this year.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Seen that new show called "Pinks"?

There is a HUGE difference between racing vs going to Test & Tune and getting a time and posting it.

Having the competition right beside you is much different, plus you have the crowd, the announcer, the excitement of the adrenenlin flowing. Big difference.

I guess what ever turns your crank, but live competition is what I like, especially when I am gunning for $2k a race like I am doing for 8 more races this year.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Pinks is a ghey show, the first episode, the guys from Chicago, I know Dustin and have talked to him about him losing his car. Well he never losed his car, and the TA wasn't even his. Its all a setup by the producers. I knew it from the begining that they were not going to lose their cars if one of them where to lose. If I really had my car on the line, I'd spend hours persueding the other guy to get the race I wanted so i knew it was a guarenteed win.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Go Get a Life!

Wow you are way offline, your totally missing the whole point. Yes this Battle is on the Org, I'm only saying whatever you do at the track which for us NA guys were all here trying to make are cars go as fast as possible if you want to test and tune when at the track or actually race side by side for 2k whatever.......

"I don't car how you do it just post your fastest time ITS THAT SIMPLE!."

[QUOTE=Jime]There is a HUGE difference between racing vs going to Test & Tune and getting a time and posting it.

Who said That...Where in the rules does it say you have to only Test Tune

And by the way what turns my crank is Road Racing with the PCA 944Turbo(Porsche Club of America) IMO it's more fun then Drag Hands Down
Unless your car runs 10's or better that's FUN talk about the Adrenaline
Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Wow you are way offline, your totally missing the whole point. Yes this Battle is on the Org, I'm only saying whatever you do at the track which for us NA guys were all here trying to make are cars go as fast as possible if you want to test and tune when at the track or actually race side by side for 2k whatever.......

"I don't car how you do it just post your fastest time ITS THAT SIMPLE!."

Who said That...Where in the rules does it say you have to only Test Tune
The whole point is that what you are doing is trying to make your cars go as fast as they they go. (your quote) Which is exactly what I am talking about, that is a game you are ultimately going to lose, the one with the most money usually wins.

There is nothing wrong with trying to get your car to go as fast as it can go, what I am trying to point out is that a real race is a 1000% more satisfying and exciting than doing it on paper or by yourself. Not racing in competition is missing the best part of going to the track. Its somewhat similar to sex by yourself. (I remember the first time I had sex, it was dark, I was scared, nervous and ALL ALONE.)

I didn't say you only have to test and tune but that is what 99% of the guys on the org do. Everyone goes to the track but no one (well almost no one) goes to an actual race. Aaron and JClaw are the only 2 other guys on here that I have actually heard enter a real race event.

Adrenalin is cause by competiton more than by speed or acceleration, you can get it runing 18's, doesn't have to be 9's. Going down the track beside a car you are not competing with is not very exciting. Getting to the last round in a 50 car field, regardless of how fast your car is and winning is something most people will never experience.

People always say "why do you race?", my response is that unless you are in an actual race, regardless if its for a trophy or money and you cross the finish line first you will never know.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
SLOW

To me heads up racing is much more fun than bracket racing, which I why I like test and tune more than staggered starts. There may not be any prize to win, but I'm sure as heck racing my opponent each and every time I test and tune.

And BTW in 01, 02 and 03 I was in the all motor heads up class at battle of the imports when it came nearby. .400 Pro tree > all. I love running that class for no other reason than trying to beat my opponent off the line on a pro tree, even though I was always in the slowest half of the field. This year if my car is up to the task I'll be in the FI 6 and 8 Cyl class running against cars trapping 125-150mph for the most part.

Also I bet alot more people participate in real races than you think. But most people don't post about it unless the win or do very well, or they run a new personal best which is a rare occurance.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Heads up racing is virtually dead except in the import scene and the 4-6 sec cars. The V8 guys long ago realized that bracket racing is the only way to display your skill and ability and 90% of the v8's now bracket race vs who has the most money and the fastest car.

The V8 guys also know that you can't race a highly tuned car and race consistently and keep it from breaking. So what do they do, detune to get consistent times and win races.

Our import races have 4 heads up classes and 1 bracket class. Guess what happens, almost every race the same guys win each class, why? because they have the most money put in their cars. Once in a while they break and someone else wins but not too often, ya thats great fun. "Not"

Locally I have tried for 3 years to get Maxima guys to go to an import race, guess what, never happens. In 3 years I have seen 1 Maxima other than mine at an actual race. I know that there are more people that participate than I know about but overall the Maxima guys just won't race.

Also at bracket races the only staggered starts are eliminations all other times it is heads up. So you can display your starts, rt's etc.

Heads up racing eventually dies because people just don't want to keep getting beat week after week so they finally give it up. In bracket racing all you have to do is hone your skills and you are right in there with the best of them.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 PM
SLOW

Yep I agree. I just enjoy going for a new PB every time I make a pass. In bracket racing that means me losing because I'm either setting my dial in too quickly, or I'm being more conservative with the dial-in and then likely breaking out. The heads up class I'm talking about only comes to the midwest once a year so there isn't that much similarity between the cars from year to year.

For my turbo car I'd have to detune it severely to get anywhere close to the sort of consistency to be competitive in bracket racing, or I could use my beater and just be slow the whole time without trying.

At the tracks I go to the bracket classes are all staggered start, tree dropping at different times according to the dial-in. It sounds like your track does the opposite? Drops the tree at the same time, but the guys finish at drastically different times if they have very different dial ins.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Go Get a Life!

The whole point is that what you are doing is trying to make your cars go as fast as they they go. (your quote) Which is exactly what I am talking about, that is a game you are ultimately going to lose, the one with the most money usually wins.

There is nothing wrong with trying to get your car to go as fast as it can go, what I am trying to point out is that a real race is a 1000% more satisfying and exciting than doing it on paper or by yourself. Not racing in competition is missing the best part of going to the track. Its somewhat similar to sex by yourself. (I remember the first time I had sex, it was dark, I was scared, nervous and ALL ALONE.)

I didn't say you only have to test and tune but that is what 99% of the guys on the org do. Everyone goes to the track but no one (well almost no one) goes to an actual race. Aaron and JClaw are the only 2 other guys on here that I have actually heard enter a real race event.

Adrenalin is cause by competiton more than by speed or acceleration, you can get it runing 18's, doesn't have to be 9's. Going down the track beside a car you are not competing with is not very exciting. Getting to the last round in a 50 car field, regardless of how fast your car is and winning is something most people will never experience.

People always say "why do you race?", my response is that unless you are in an actual race, regardless if its for a trophy or money and you cross the finish line first you will never know.
You think so you have no idea what I've done to this motor it's going to be so funny when you guys see the Video

I see your point but your generalizing that most of us are Testing and Tuning and Posting that aint right maybe others not me. I have entered bracket races with my 84AE ZX Turbo yeah it's fun I'm obviously going to enter in some sort of race I don't see the point of doing all of this work and only going to the track to Test and Tune hell nah.... I'm racing the hell out of this sucker I think it might blow up then I'll move on to the next project...I'm sure all of us 4.5thgen swapers are going to enter some sort of Race that's a no Brainer.....
Old 07-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I love the test and tune with heads up . where i race no slicks or open exhausts are allowed on the day i go ,so that makes it much easier to win and compete.
I dont like bracket racing tried it dont like it .
And iam not trying to be the fastest car at all my main point of fun is doing mods and then taking it to the track to see my fruits of my labor. this is why nitrous would not be fun for me it would make me loose interest in my car.

i understand what you like but my reasons are totally diff and i just love being able to beat a car that should beat me ,thats another plus to why i love NA is because i love seeing peoples heads sink in shame
Old 07-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Actually, I get anywhere between 5 and 10 time trials before the eliminations. So I have enough time there to do a new PB, then slow the dial in a little, and enter the eliminations. Usually you run your fastest in the last qualification runs, then you slow it by a few hundreds. I've been bracket racing for less than a month, and it's a lot of fun. I haven't won an event yet, but got to the semi finals twice (once in the Semi Pro class, 9.00 to 14.99).

Sometimes I like just going to the track on a Friday night, just street tires, practice the launch and the R/T (When you cut a .022 on the very first run, you know it's going to be a good night) and beat 90% of the people there because the vast majority of them are all running mid 14s to low 17s. But the "real" racing is done on slicks, Saturday night or Sunday, and it's bracket racing. When I get faster I may try the import all motor class, but most of them run low 13s to mid 12s.

One of the reasons why I love N/A is that you can run at your fastest and still be consistant.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:16 PM
VQ Wizard

People race Maximas?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:17 PM

People race Hondas?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Custom User Title

People race??? :haha:
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

hey ive got problems, there is this guy at my work that has a STI with a few tweaks. I keep telling him that a maxima can be fast. Today I showed him the video of SR20 pullin that 12. He walked away! he says its bull and he doesnt believe it. I think SRs car is awesome and wish my car was even close to those power ratings, then i can show this STI what a nissan is all about
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM

Sounds like another fuktard with his head 4 feet up his @ss. It's always the same deal "Hey look, he's racing his mom's car!".

We don't need no giant spoilers to run 12s.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:18 AM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

well I dont have any thing against the STI, i just got back from the track and he was consistently hitting 13.4 which isnt that bad especially for my elevation. I just wish there was a way he would stop talkin down on my max so much
Old 07-10-2005, 03:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Bracket racing is something that 99.999% of the racing community does NOT understand. Most people try it once and since they don't understand it as well as the other car, they chose not to like it. It's way more complicated than most people think. I've talked with several people that try it for the first time and I have to explain to them in detail why they lost the race, even though they crossed the finish line first.

It's simply a type of racing that most people don't understand. If you don't learn everything there is to learn, then it's going to be very hard to win races. In the classes I've raced in, if you aren't cutting .500 - .530s consistantly and are within a couple hundredths of a second, then you aren't going to make it out of the first round.

Jim, I know that feeling when you are in a 50 car field and you have gone 5 rounds and still don't make it to the finals. I know the feeling when you get your first true win and not one that was handed to you (by redlights and/or racing 5spd imports all night).

The emotion expressed by me at the end of the 1/4 mile when I see the win light for either lane is impossible to explain. No matter which lane gets the win light, you might find me screaming to myself. lol

But when I'm not bracket racing, I'm at the track when I think I have a chance to break my personal 1/4 record, which is also a LOT of fun. It's just a much different type of excitement than bracket racing. I have to see my 1/4 mile times drop or all the hard work I've put into my car might be wasteful. My bracket racing is done during the summer and my new records get set during the winter. Constant fun!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 AM
Banned

Excellent post Aaron. I just don't have time to go to the track when its not a race day, already had 14 so far this year. There is so much more to bracket racing than heads up and the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

Heads up is a lot more forgiving, it you get a bad r/t it really doesn't matter that much if your car is just a bit faster, plus there are no top end tactics, no need for a weather station, et predictors, log books etc. Heads up races aren't usually won or lost by thousands of a second its usually tenths.

I also like to get good times but its not my "raison d'etre". (reason for being)
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 AM

If you do hit a PB it'll be in the time trials. I usually lower my launch RPMs a little for the elimations, and dial .05 slower, since I almost always am faster than my opponent in the street class.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Go Get a Life!

It's back what's going on fellas, anyone hit up da track yet, any new updates.

School is starting for me at the end of this month so I've been pushing a little harder to get my runs in..

Well for me I've been working on this car all summer. I recently developed a upgraded MEVI or I call it SVI. I'm just a little excited and can't wait. The SVI is holding up except for some idling issues. I'm not to sure if it's better than 00VI until I hit the dyno next week. I have to pay $150 per hour, is that to much?
People locally say there real good. They tune SCCA and IHRA teams, I don't want wannabe Fast and the Furious tuners touching my car, there's a lot of those down here it's real funny. They throw you on the dyno, they don't care if it blows up and tune way to aggressive which is why they blow up a lot of cars.
Anyways
oh and by the way I weighed the car again from 2740 for a Final race weight quarter tank without me in it 2635lbs. a 105 lbs reduction
The Enkei's saved me 34lbs, cut some more uneeded metal, only one seat driver ofcourse, Full front dash no electronics except for my SAFC also the manual tranny saved me alot also.
Aight
Old 08-15-2005, 07:04 AM
SLOW

What Enkeis?

$150 an hour is about double what I'd expect to pay for dyno time. Usually it's like $75 to maybe $100.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
What Enkeis?

$150 an hour is about double what I'd expect to pay for dyno time. Usually it's like $75 to maybe $100.
EVO 5 weight 18.3lbs 17"

Old 08-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Go Get a Life!

There not the lightest but deff lighter than my 18"s I'll keep these on for now street and track. I love the design and it's new TECHNOLOGY
RIM-ROLLED FORGED TECHNOLOGY
MAT MICRO STRUCTURE etc. etc.
360* perfect
What do you think?

Quick Reply: *2005 Summer Battle of the NA*