General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Weird Noise with crossdrilled/slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
andymax95

Weird Noise with crossdrilled/slotted rotors?

A few months ago i upgraded to cross drilled/slotted rotors and got maxiss high preformance pads. Now i notice when i'm an urban highway (speed limit of 55mph with traffic signals) when i hit my brakes and then let go, it sounds like the pads are sticking, like if u were running ur hand over a cross drilled rotor with water inbetween it makes that noise like air voids are blowing through. When I first noticed the noise i looke up at the high power lines thinking it was them but it was my brakes.

Now besides the squeeling i get, the "sticking noise" it makes only lasts for a few seconds but doesn't actually stick, the car doesn't slow down at all, just makes a noise when i release my foot off the brake? Anyone know what the hell it is?

Would a stock Nissan pad fix this problem? I was just skeptable about using a stock pad on a better rotor. But if u don't beat on ur high preformance pads when u first get them, then u will get a squeel and i was being gentle.

I checked my brake fluid and its fine just can't find the reason for the noise? Any help is appreciated

AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM, THE DEALER WON'T LOOK AT THE BRAKES CAUSE THEY AINT STOCK

Old 06-27-2005, 01:19 PM
KC's FINEST

My drilled rotors make a ticking sound as the pads run across the holes. Not a big problem, but it is noticable to me. Nothing as far as sticking though..?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 PM

I get the ticking sound when I slow down. It sounds like having a card slapping the spokes on a bicycle wheel. I checked to see if it was the wear sensor hitting the slots, but it's just the pads themselves. Plenty of material left. The sound doesn't bother me too much, it just reminds me that I have better rotors. Remember that some parts of the pad will continue to touch the rotor for a short while after your foot is off the brake.
The noise when you release your foot off is probably the bite on the pad against the rotor. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one of the differences between oem and aftermarket.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I actually had a bad rotor or pad that ruined all 4 of my brand new rotors. I heard something like what you are describing after braking and in turns. I started feeling some vibration after about 2k miles on new pads and rotors (drilled and slotted with ceramic pads). I noticed that the rears still had the crosshatching from the manufacturer on them so I pulled them off and noticed that I had two grooves cut into the rotor on the inside and that it was only worn in about a one inch section around the center of the rotor. I put the OEM back on and everything seems to be fine and will address any new brake issues with NNA CA. It was almost like the pads weren't seated right, but they were. Very weird.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
andymax95

Sorry about the description, a ticking noise would be best to describe it. Thanks for the information cause besides the ticking noise the brakes work fine.

I'm not feeling the ceramic pads anymore, cause of the squeeling aspect, has anyone used a softer/oem pad on upgraded rotors?

Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 AM
SLOW

Dude, is there a reason you posted the exact same post twice in the same section at same time of day and then bumped both posts at the same time. A single post would have been just fine.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 AM
andymax95

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Dude, is there a reason you posted the exact same post twice in the same section at same time of day and then bumped both posts at the same time. A single post would have been just fine.

Ya dude, I posted the first one in the 6th gen forum and then it got bumped here were i posted another post for all to discuss.

If u got an answer please post, but ur comment is not necessary unless u can be helpful DUDE