General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

rolled back odos....how often?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:01 AM

rolled back odos....how often?

I've been told by a car dealer that some 70% of the used cars' odo's have been rolled back.. I am sure that happens, but 70% seems like way high... also, how easy is it to do on the max (i.e. how much confidence should I have that it was not done b/c it's difficult)?
thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 AM

intersting...and now that we are in the subject...

if i replace my spedometer assembly ( the whole thing where the tachometer, the temp, the fuel level and speed are shown...) with a new one, will my car then be a zero miles car ?? or is the spedd recorded in a computer in the car and not within that assembly...?? i thought of this because in the case i have to remplace mine...few of you may have noticed i am having problems with my speedometer not reading in cool temperatures ( below 85 degress it will read nuthing but 0 doesnt matter how fast i am going) so i am just preparing for the worst.

rolling back the miles in the maxima will have to be by some kind off computer access since the display is digital...or not ??
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont believe that
Old 06-29-2005, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Roman-dude
I've been told by a car dealer that some 70% of the used cars' odo's have been rolled back.. I am sure that happens, but 70% seems like way high... also, how easy is it to do on the max (i.e. how much confidence should I have that it was not done b/c it's difficult)?
thanks
I believe that the percentage could be high, but not that high. The older cars have to be takin into consideration because obviously those were a lot easier to roll back than the newer digital ones. I think you should be pretty confident, especially with the Maxima.

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
intersting...and now that we are in the subject...

if i replace my spedometer assembly ( the whole thing where the tachometer, the temp, the fuel level and speed are shown...) with a new one, will my car then be a zero miles car ?? or is the spedd recorded in a computer in the car and not within that assembly...?? i thought of this because in the case i have to remplace mine...few of you may have noticed i am having problems with my speedometer not reading in cool temperatures ( below 85 degress it will read nuthing but 0 doesnt matter how fast i am going) so i am just preparing for the worst.

rolling back the miles in the maxima will have to be by some kind off computer access since the display is digital...or not ??
IMO doing this shouldn't mess with the odometer at all. Its kinda like saying if you disconnect the battery the odometer will reset to 0. There is probably some kind of memory that is always active, even when the battery dies or other parts are removed/replaced. Plus, each of those meters are controlled by different parts in your car. So yes, ure right in the fact that the only way you could possibly toy with the odometer is by using some type of computer since the display is digital.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

on digital ODOs the mileage stays with the cluster.

if you take a cluster from a junk yard that has 50K on it and you car has 100K on it...when you use the new cluster it'll read 50K. i believe the dealers have a tool to "change" the ODO to read what's on your car currently. so now...do you think it's easier to change the reading on a digital ODO or a mechanical?

70% deal...depends on where you go...i say at the used car lots the cars that have rolled back ODO are about 90%+. at a dealership where they have lease returns..i would say it's a little less.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 AM

70% deal...depends on where you go...i say at the used car lots the cars that have rolled back ODO are about 90%+. at a dealership where they have lease returns..i would say it's a little less.
at the major regional dealer auction (Manheim, PA).. thx
Old 06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Roman-dude
thanks
What he meant was 70% of the used cars from NYC have had their Odo's rolled back!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 AM

Every time the car changes owners or is re-titled, the mileage is recorded. so in most cases, any rollback would have to be minimal i suppose. 70% seems WAY to high of a percent for that.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
on digital ODOs the mileage stays with the cluster.

if you take a cluster from a junk yard that has 50K on it and you car has 100K on it...when you use the new cluster it'll read 50K.

oh oh.. im in trouble then. what would be the reason for my speedometer neddle to not read in cold wheater??
Old 06-29-2005, 11:41 AM

You could also probably run a search of what the mileage was at various emissions or safety inspection intervals. If it shows a history of going backwards, you know you are in trouble.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 97BlackSEGold
Every time the car changes owners or is re-titled, the mileage is recorded. so in most cases, any rollback would have to be minimal i suppose. 70% seems WAY to high of a percent for that.
true...BUT...not sure what other states require...but let's just say this year i drove 40K. before i sell it or give it to the used car place i have someone roll it back 35K...so now it looks like i only drove 5K...on the title the current owner lists the mileage...most of the time they don't even do that. as long as the numbers go forward and not backwards then no one can pick it up.

it's a corrupt system...the consumers are the ones getting screwed. of course that doesn't mean EVERYONE does that...but keep in mind that it does happen.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:25 PM

i was told by someone that in cars with navi it cannot be done.. any truth to that? i also heard that bmw has separate devices that track mileage and are synced with the odo.. so even if the odo is rolled back the other devices will show the real mileage.. the only thing is that the dealer is the only one who can see it..
Old 06-29-2005, 01:05 PM

roman, ppl in our community are more likely than anyone else to do it lol
it is a punishable offense after all, so dont think it is done THAT often. When buying a used car, everything has to look right, the year-condition-mileage combo. Normal mileage for a car is 12-15K mi/yr, anything less than 8k mi/yr I'd become suspicios.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackSEGold
70% of the drivers in Philly having an IQ of less than 120 sounds about right. Where else do you see people doing an illegal manuever to avoid a traffic signal, or simply ignoring the signal? It's like Bronx 1979.......in 2k5. But we're ready for Live8, yeah, right!