General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2002 Altima VS 2002 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been doing a bit of research between these two wonderfull cars but I am a bit confused. Heres what I think of the new Altima VS Maxima. The Altima is a freshly new styled sedan that is larger then the maxima and compared to the current maxima, it offers more options like Hid's and you also get a independent rear supspension. Now when I think about buying a 2002 Maxima I have mixed feelings because I love maximaa but it is on ageing platform which will be replaced by most likely a larger and more expensive car next year. Another thing that makes me lean towards the new Altimas is resale value, I know if I buy a new max it will lose a lot of resale value the moment the new model comes out, the Altima on the other hand will have the fresh new look for years to come, which in my opinion is very important. What do the rest of you guys think? Would you rather buy a smaller older styled car or a fresh new Altima?

For the record,
I may not buy either and just hang on to my car for a while but I am seriusly considering getting a new Nissan.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:52 AM

I'd probably go for the Altima. The Maxima will probably be faster but not by much. The Weights of the two cars should be nearly identical. The Altima will have a far superior rear suspension and maybe a better front suspension(new Al components help to reduce weight). The torque output on both is the same....245ish, with a 20hp nod going to the maxima....260 vs. 240. Some of the TL guys were saying....wow...only 240hp out of 3.5L....we do that with 2L(s2000). BUT they don't seem to understand that nissan is TOTALLY holding back on the 3.5L. Look at how they detuned it 20hp just as a numbers game. The 3.5L has only cam timing(not even lift....but it doesn't need it) on the intake cam. I'm assuming the altima/maxima is only on the intake cam. For the z they are most likely using the timing trick on the exhaust as well for 280....maybe 300hp.

The difference between 6 gears and 5. I'm not so sure it will help as far as 0-60 goes.....or even 1/4 times. I only see it as an advantage on highway crusing as a 2nd overdirve gear. Both the 5sp 3.5L and 6sp will most likely have a 2nd gear that ends AFTER 60mph. Having a 2nd gear that ends before 60 will require a 2nd shift to make 60mph and that will hurt the published 60 time.

The altima se will have a vsld which is good....but the maxima se will have the Helical lsd....a la Type R, which is a better differential.

The maxima has a nicer interior....but I think the altima looks better. The rear on the max is to weird. Plus if you get the maxima, you'll ***** in a year when the 2003 comes out.....RWD, V8 etc....

I'd get the Altima.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.
I'd probably go for the Altima. The Maxima will probably be faster but not by much. The Weights of the two cars should be nearly identical. The Altima will have a far superior rear suspension and maybe a better front suspension(new Al components help to reduce weight). The torque output on both is the same....245ish, with a 20hp nod going to the maxima....260 vs. 240. Some of the TL guys were saying....wow...only 240hp out of 3.5L....we do that with 2L(s2000). BUT they don't seem to understand that nissan is TOTALLY holding back on the 3.5L. Look at how they detuned it 20hp just as a numbers game. The 3.5L has only cam timing(not even lift....but it doesn't need it) on the intake cam. I'm assuming the altima/maxima is only on the intake cam. For the z they are most likely using the timing trick on the exhaust as well for 280....maybe 300hp.

The difference between 6 gears and 5. I'm not so sure it will help as far as 0-60 goes.....or even 1/4 times. I only see it as an advantage on highway crusing as a 2nd overdirve gear. Both the 5sp 3.5L and 6sp will most likely have a 2nd gear that ends AFTER 60mph. Having a 2nd gear that ends before 60 will require a 2nd shift to make 60mph and that will hurt the published 60 time.

The altima se will have a vsld which is good....but the maxima se will have the Helical lsd....a la Type R, which is a better differential.

The maxima has a nicer interior....but I think the altima looks better. The rear on the max is to weird. Plus if you get the maxima, you'll ***** in a year when the 2003 comes out.....RWD, V8 etc....

I'd get the Altima.
2002 with no RWD?? .. i guess the LSD will be the thing helping torque steer eh..?
Old 05-28-2001, 12:03 PM

yea....see....the 2002 maxima will only be 3 years old....that too soon to dump it/change the drivetrain. It will be just like the i35, which is still fwd/3.5L.

2003 will lead the maxima to its big avalon fight....which it will be big, probably still pretty damn sporty and fast.
Old 05-28-2001, 04:23 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you know...

I think I would wait until you see them on the lot. I know those pics and specs look good.. but I would wait.

First, Nissan saved like 3 billion last year and came out of the red. How? by using cheaper parts and materials. For instance, my relays in my Max and PF are both loud as hell and squeeling. cheap relays. We will just have to see what the total package is like. The Maxima has wayyyy too many rattles, do you think the Alty will be a quiet, rattle free, trouble free car? we just dont know yet.

Secondly, the 3.5L's will be sparse at first. Maybe not readily available til the end of the year. As seen with the 01 AE max for $32-36K, these things (v6 altimas) might be priced in a very undesirable level.

wait and see I say.
Old 05-28-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.
yea....see....the 2002 maxima will only be 3 years old....that too soon to dump it/change the drivetrain. It will be just like the i35, which is still fwd/3.5L.

2003 will lead the maxima to its big avalon fight....which it will be big, probably still pretty damn sporty and fast.

I was just thinking that it would surprise me if the new Max will be based on the new Q chassis, and even be very similar in size... Probably going to be a cheaper Q45, with a v-6 that rocks... I would go for the Altima... Good size (not too big) and like you said it will have the new fresh design for the years to come...
Old 05-28-2001, 07:17 PM

I had tons of torque steer on my 4th gen after Mods at WOT, but not on my 5th gen, likely do to the LSD.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:28 PM

Wait until Summer 2002

You better wait the summer 2002. You would get some preview of new Maxima 2003 included pics. If you don't like it or too expensive for you, then get Altima 2003. It may have more features than 2002. Is it wise, little punk?

John
Old 05-28-2001, 08:49 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Tough choise... depends what you are looking for in the car...

The Altima would be a nicer car for looks, cruising etc... If you want something to mod or go fast in, I'd go for the Maxima, plus there would a sleeper look since the 2k and 2k1 are 222 hp, and the 2k2 should have 260 hp right? But the Alty is a fresh look, I'd probably go with the Altima since I'm not into racing and things like that. Altima should probably be cheaper too, you should get a fully loaded Altima for the price of the Maxima with less equipment.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:42 PM

m-i-c-h-e-l-i-n, parles-tu francais?

Originally posted by TimW
I think I would wait until you see them on the lot. I know those pics and specs look good.. but I would wait.

First, Nissan saved like 3 billion last year and came out of the red. How? by using cheaper parts and materials. For instance, my relays in my Max and PF are both loud as hell and squeeling. cheap relays. We will just have to see what the total package is like. The Maxima has wayyyy too many rattles, do you think the Alty will be a quiet, rattle free, trouble free car? we just dont know yet.

Secondly, the 3.5L's will be sparse at first. Maybe not readily available til the end of the year. As seen with the 01 AE max for $32-36K, these things (v6 altimas) might be priced in a very undesirable level.

wait and see I say.
Assemble in Mexico, nich, huh?

Guess the boys at Nissan don't speak French, because they seem to have a nasty habit of using Toyo, Dunlop, and Goodyear. Some of them even have B temp ratings, pretty unbelievable in the year 2001. Other makes costing thousands less are using XGTH4 and Energy MXV4 (I don't think I need to name names we all know them anyway). RS-A was so laughable, the same tire found on Neons are found on Maximas. haha
Old 05-28-2001, 09:43 PM

The Altima changes everything

Before the Altima came out, I was looking into a 99 I-30t
stickshift. Now I might wait until at least 2003-04 to make any decisions. I would be reluctant to by the first year altima on its new platform. I would wait a year for Nissan to work the kinks out of it. Same with the 2003 Maxima. Things usually get better the second and third years from its first run. If I find a good steal on the I-30 I might get that and wait a couple years and decide. I would like to see the XVL too. Have also though about a TL Type-s Stickshift when it comes out. What an exciting time in automotive History. So many good cars coming out and engines pumping over 100 HP per liter. (s2000)
The next few years are going to rock.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:09 PM

the only reason to avoid a first year nissan

is not because it is a first year car, but because good service is so hard to get. Just because you have the problem AND there is a bulletin on out on it, there is still no guarantee you can convince a dealer to do the work and get the problem rectified. Thats the main reason I would avoid the new altima and Z. I have no idea with the max will be. But you can assume they will ALL have cheaper parts and materials.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:21 AM

Re: you know...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TimW
[B]I think I would wait until you see them on the lot. I know those pics and specs look good.. but I would wait.

First, Nissan saved like 3 billion last year and came out of the red. How? by using cheaper parts and materials. For instance, my relays in my Max and PF are both loud as hell and squeeling. cheap relays.

Although there may have been some savings by way of cheaper parts,(most manufacturers do that), Nissan's biggest cost cuttings resulting in turn around profits came from cutting their labour force world wide by something like 20,ooo employees. Much like GAP, NIKE, LEVI's, HILFIGER, etc, human factors are disregarded in pursuit of profits.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i agree with what most people are saying, probably wait and see when the cars actually arrive on the scene. on paper it sure looks good the altima, but then again, a 6 spd maxima... thats something i'd definitely wait for.

Ranj
Old 05-29-2001, 07:47 AM

actually...

from what I read... In Japan, they combined plants and tried to relocate employees. If they laid off, it was not part of the restructing. The plan was to keep most of the workers.

Of course, I dont really know that much about it, just what I read in the biz section of the paper last week. same place I got the info about 3B in saving parts and materials. This was actually choosing vendors with lower cost parts for the most part. as I remember the article.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:42 AM

Re: you know...

Originally posted by TimW

...do you think the Alty will be a quiet, rattle free, trouble free car? we just dont know yet.

And to think it was the quiet, rattle free, trouble free altima commercials many years ago that had the car w/100k miles up & running on a dyno with the champaign glasses stacked in a pyramid on it's hood.