General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

getting a new car....what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 10:49 PM
Wiremaxless

not for me....for my mother...but i getta drive it...woo hoo! so its between the TL the i30t and the A4...im leaning towards the TL right now...ne opinions?

Old 05-28-2001, 11:13 PM

Get the A4 ... the AWD will be better for Poor Weather ... U'll have Less to worry about when your Mom drives in the Rain!

Originally posted by Wiremaxless
not for me....for my mother...but i getta drive it...woo hoo! so its between the TL the i30t and the A4...im leaning towards the TL right now...ne opinions?
Old 05-28-2001, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Empz
Get the A4 ... the AWD will be better for Poor Weather ... U'll have Less to worry about when your Mom drives in the Rain!

plus his mom kan dump the clutch at redline and get some traction still. drop a chip in that baby and ur mom will be burning some rubber.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:29 PM
Wiremaxless

haha

yeah shes gonna be racing to the grocery store like all mothers

Old 05-28-2001, 11:33 PM

Re: haha

Originally posted by Wiremaxless
yeah shes gonna be racing to the grocery store like all mothers
make sure she gets the spot rite next to the auto sliding doors.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:39 AM

I would go for the TL. I drove the TL, I30t, and A4 2.8Quattro at Edmunds Live last year, and the TL impressed me quite a bit. The price is lower than either I30t and A4 to boot.

Driving the A4 2.8T, it felt dog slow (doesn't feel like 190hp) with the automatic just didn't carry enough speed through the cones to be fun to drive. The I30t, well it was just a Maxima with fancy guages. It was nice, but I would not pay a premium for it over a Max. The TL was a total surprise. I thought, it is just an Accord. But the engine is wonderfully powerful, the handling is quite neutral (although when pushed, it predictably understeers), and it scores high in "bang for the buck" category.

For the same price as an I30t, you can get a TL-S.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:58 AM

I'd go for the TL-S. I just test drove it on Wednesday. It was really quick. I agree with Eric,the TL is definitely the best bang for the buck.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:25 AM

I just test drove a TL Type S this weekend. I kid you not, it did not feel “much” faster. More so, the interior was far inferior to the I30T. Before anyone says anything, try both, and give me your opinion.

Acura/Honda is known for build quality, so I was expecting excellence. I like many others I see, am also starting to believe that Honda gets more credits in the automotive press then it deserves. Everything from the cheapish looking, rubber feeling dash to the flimsy doors that covers the drink holders do not compare to the infiniti. In fact, the passenger air bag cover was coming up on the edges. The sales man was pushing them down, and the other end would pop up. The car does not feel like anything near entry luxury at 30K.

I'm not being biased, I assure you. I looked into the car for an honest review for a possible future purchase. With ground effects, thicker wheels and a rear spoiler, I think the Type-S would be a very sharp ride, and the engine is in fact great, even compared to the VQ . I wonder if anyone else feels this way, but for a supposed luxury brand, the interior was lacking.

As far as the I30T;
Yes the drive train and frame is the same on the I30T as the max, but 90% of the sheet metal, built quality, road noise, and interior are as different as can be. LSD, HID lights, and 5 more HP are also extras over the Max. Furthermore, once can be had for less then the AE Max or the same as a fully loaded Maxima GLE, if your dealer is flexible, and service is far better over Nisaan. This is why I got mine. And to say its just a Maxima, well, the Maxima is a great car.

I would really wait for the I35T though as we are less then a year away. I think this will be a serious contender over the Type S engine wise, and if it maintains or slightly increases quality more so, then hands down. As far as style, the TL is pretty plain, yet clean in design.