General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What happens if I remove Exhaust RESONATOR????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 09:13 AM

Since I'm about to get the exhaust (cat-back) done, I was wondering if there was any benefit to leaving that resonator off the system. I don't think it's necessary for emissions. Will the lack of it give any performance increase or just make the car louder?
Old 05-29-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by The_quorum
Since I'm about to get the exhaust (cat-back) done, I was wondering if there was any benefit to leaving that resonator off the system. I don't think it's necessary for emissions. Will the lack of it give any performance increase or just make the car louder?
it just makes your car louder. performace increas?? NO!
Old 05-29-2001, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

it just makes your car louder. performace increas?? NO!
Thanks. It would have saved me a little $$, but I don't want a louder car.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:31 AM
Ramius83

Just to elaborate a little more....With the removal of the stock resonator and the addition of a different muffler, your car will be louder. It will be the loudest when you accelerate, and also it may drone between 2000-2500 RPMs like most aftermarket mufflers do. It will not sound like a rice burner Honda CRX, but it will sound a little deeper than what you are used to hearing. If you want the resonator off but do not want the sound, try sticking with the stock muffler, it does a great job keeping the noise down. I plan on removing my resonator when I get my b-pipe. Tell me what your exhaust is like when you get it on.

Old 05-29-2001, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've heard that removing the resonator does increase power somewhat. I got a catback and got rid of the resonator, and it does have a deeper sound with a little drone. It's nothing I can't live with, and if I really wanted to change the sound I'd probably add a hiflow cat. A friend of mine got a catback with a Flowmaster 40 series Delta put on his 90 Integra and didnt like the sound. He added a resonator later and said he could feel the difference in power. The only explanation I can come up with is the resonator is more restrictive than the rest of the exhaust is i.e. ypipe, bpipe, muffler.
-hype
Old 05-29-2001, 05:57 PM

yea...i heard it gets pretty loud...after i get a b-pipe i'll tell ya
Old 05-29-2001, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Llfe
yea...i heard it gets pretty loud...after i get a b-pipe i'll tell ya
I got mine done today
It just sounds more agressive.
Since I got my pipe welded from the cat all the way back to my stock muffler i notice a slight power gain after hitting 3500 RPM
Old 05-29-2001, 07:20 PM

i dont think its that loud...

but, i only have my muffler on and the resonator (only) removed. its not crazy loud but i can still set off some alroms driving under 2.5k rpms. i plan on doing the piping to 2.5' very soon though. if this thread is still alive, i'll keep ya'll posted...
Old 05-29-2001, 07:28 PM

Re: i dont think its that loud...

Originally posted by _DRU_
but, i only have my muffler on and the resonator (only) removed. its not crazy loud but i can still set off some alroms driving under 2.5k rpms. i plan on doing the piping to 2.5' very soon though. if this thread is still alive, i'll keep ya'll posted...
how does it sound with the stock muffler with out the resonator when driving on the highway at about 55 to 75mph? windows closed and radio off.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:31 PM

Re: Re: i dont think its that loud...

Originally posted by 97GLES
how does it sound with the stock muffler with out the resonator when driving on the highway at about 55 to 75mph? windows closed and radio off.
soory, let me clarify... i first put an aftermarket muffler on my car but didnt think it was loud enough. i could barely hear it. so then i removed the resonator to make it a bit louder. i can certainly tell that i have some sort of exhaust on now but its not as loud as i hoped. so im making the piping bigger to try and increase some noise.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: i dont think its that loud...

Originally posted by _DRU_

soory, let me clarify... i first put an aftermarket muffler on my car but didnt think it was loud enough. i could barely hear it. so then i removed the resonator to make it a bit louder. i can certainly tell that i have some sort of exhaust on now but its not as loud as i hoped. so im making the piping bigger to try and increase some noise.
if you keep the stock muffler and remove the resonator do you get that hummmmmmmm in the car when driving 55 to 75mph with the windows closed and the radio off?
Old 05-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can't speak about the stock muffler but my experience is similiar to _Dru_'s. I got an aftermarket Turbo Muffler with 2.25" catback piping. I removed the muffler, but even with an intake my car was still very quiet (I would say it was as quiet as stock). I then got a Stillen Ypipe and the exhaust got considerably louder. It's not like a Honda and I like my exhaust, but I do get a slight drone. I'm thinking about getting a Hiflow cat to deepen the tone and get rid of some of the hiss. It's not bad, but I get a hiss at low rpms and a woosh up high I like the woosh, but if I can get rid of the hiss I will.
-hype
Old 05-29-2001, 09:01 PM

I'm confused now...

Assume that part of my job involves entertaining people (which it does), and that I need to meet and pick up an executive from Lucent Technologies for lunch. If I leave off the resonator, and keep a stock Nissan muffler, is this guy going to look at me crazy because of the sound the car makes as I drive? Would a larger diameter pipe be better and keep a resonator of some sort? I'm thinking if I keep this car I want to get a Y-Pipe...

I need silent power. What's the best way to achieve this?

Also, the shop quoted me $500 for the cat-back w/ installation if they fabricate it, or $950 with all Nissan OE parts...is this reasonable or a rip-off?
Old 05-30-2001, 08:07 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If you want "quiet" power, then go with this setup. Forget a true catback because when you add the Y-pipe all hell breaks loose with a aftermarket muffler REGARDLESS of which brand you use. Get the y-pipe first and then get a B-pipe WITH a resonator. KEEP the stock muffler and put on a resonated exhaust tip to equalize the exhaust pulses. Header wrap the Y-pipe flex section. Eventually get a hi-flow cat if you want it (I don't think it does much). This is the setup I have and it is relatively quiet compared to when I had my HKS muffler on this setup. The setup is atleast 20% louder than stock at part throttle and probably 50% louder at WOT. I don't have any droning, but the car does get pretty loud after 4500rpms due to the intake, y-pipe, and B-pipe. I've got the Courtesy B-pipe which uses a small resonator which in turn lets more exhaust noise out. Some days my car is louder than other days which is kinda weird. The whole setup will run you about $700, but you will have a decently quiet car at part-throttle.

Dave
Old 05-30-2001, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
If you want "quiet" power, then go with this setup. Forget a true catback because when you add the Y-pipe all hell breaks loose with a aftermarket muffler REGARDLESS of which brand you use. Get the y-pipe first and then get a B-pipe WITH a resonator. KEEP the stock muffler and put on a resonated exhaust tip to equalize the exhaust pulses. Header wrap the Y-pipe flex section. Eventually get a hi-flow cat if you want it (I don't think it does much). This is the setup I have and it is relatively quiet compared to when I had my HKS muffler on this setup. The setup is atleast 20% louder than stock at part throttle and probably 50% louder at WOT. I don't have any droning, but the car does get pretty loud after 4500rpms due to the intake, y-pipe, and B-pipe. I've got the Courtesy B-pipe which uses a small resonator which in turn lets more exhaust noise out. Some days my car is louder than other days which is kinda weird. The whole setup will run you about $700, but you will have a decently quiet car at part-throttle.

Dave
That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for the straight forward info. I don't mind a small bit of a roar when I open up the throttle, I just can't be BUZZING/DRONING around like a civic w/ a coffee can sized exhaust tip.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:14 PM

Resinator

I pulled mine out when i got the custom cat back done, i opted for an unknown ricey looking muffler, which i was told would be relatively quiet, yet have a nice note, so I opted for no resinator, It falls within legal limits and doesn't go over 92db. Throw a CAI into the eqaution and you get a real nice note.