General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Scary experience for first week at college with my Max LONG

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Scary experience for first week at college with my Max LONG

I finally was able to drive my car up to upstate NY for college this quarter, and was very excited. The only downside: the freshman parking lot is behind a tree line, and not visible from my dormroom, nor is it a quick walk either.
Yesterday, as I headed out to my car with a friend to retrieve my Haynes Manual to read up on axle replacement which I will be doing on Saturday, we noticed a car with Amplifier wiring hanging out of it's driver's door, on the road. Upon closer inspection, we find the lock broken, and dash ripped apart. Scared of my car being broken into, I decide to go back and check my doors being locked. As I thought, the doors were locked, and as we looked across the lot at the next row of cars, we saw another car with it's window broken in, a wire hanging out of the closed trunk, and the dash ripped apart. Close to this other car, another car was hit, broken window and dash ripped apart.
My friend and I reported it to Campus Safety, and after an hour of questioning, etc., I left them my number in case they needed something else.
This morning, as I was in class, I got two calls, and a voice message. Figuring it was either Campus Safety or the tint shop I was going to be bringing my car later on today, I waited until after the class was done to check it.
Check the voicemail to hear my worst nightmare: my car was broken into!!! I skip the next class, and go down with a group of friends to the safety office. After waiting around a while, the officer finally goes outside with me to look at the damage, and amazingly, there was NONE. No broken windows, no lock damage, dash still intact, etc.
Summary: they saw my cell number on the same page as descriptions of the cars that were broken into, and thought I was a victim, and called for further questioning. Needless to say, it was *slightly* upsetting to think that my car was broken into after taking a list of precautions to prevent that. Today I topped that effort off with a brand new tint. If you're reading this, thanks for staying. I felt like sharing my almost terrible experience.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Custom User Title

Yeah parking at campus can be hazardous to your car. Last year this kid's 03 Cobra was ruined and he parked in the student lot, which our lot is about a 6 min bus ride to get to. I didn't bring my car to campus this year, but I will next year. I'm not worried about my car being broken into, because inside it all looks stock, and no valubles.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:38 PM
VIP Maxima

they did a hit and run on me at school and ruined my fender. the damage is still there but a witness left a note on my car with descrpiton of the car and its lisence plate. i got $200 for it......... funny thing was that he hit me and parked right next to me ! i hate school lots !

Old 10-27-2005, 11:09 PM

my school lot is safe. Parking security strolling around all the time.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

They steal cars like crazy at my school.My friend parked next to security booth, and his car was partially stripped right in front of them.. meaning the took the amps and tvs
Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 AM

what schools do you go to? Not off topic, just for reference sake.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:20 AM

this is crazy. i hate hearing these sports. its really sad that people have to steal, break into someone elses car. im glad your car didnt get hit. good luck in the future

-Sean
Old 10-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sean05
this is crazy. i hate hearing these sports. its really sad that people have to steal, break into someone elses car. im glad your car didnt get hit. good luck in the future

-Sean
Believe me, I almost hit the ground when I didn't see any damage to my car, both yesterday and the day before. It made me so angry to see other people's cars in that shape, and to be told my car was like that (even though it turned out it wasn't), I definately felt extremely upset and mad.
Even though it's illegal to park where I am now, I'm not going back in that lot for a while. I now have fresh tint on my car, which helps significantly (and looks damn good).
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 AM

school is a risky place to bring your car. at my school, after celebrating the superbowl and world series... students would just TIP over cars and light them up on fire... if i knew that i would've bought noooooooooooooos and loaded it up in my car
Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
KH3 by popular demand

If you have full coverage by chance check to see what is covered in a theft. Keep all your recepits. My insurance told me anything in the dash is covered and inside the cabin of the car. Nothing in the trunk is covered however. Be safe and get you a pager alarm if possible.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:40 AM

I hope you had someone in the class you skipped taking good notes you can borrow.

I had nightmares after every class I skipped, which were few and far between, during my five years at university.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
If you have full coverage by chance check to see what is covered in a theft. Keep all your recepits. My insurance told me anything in the dash is covered and inside the cabin of the car. Nothing in the trunk is covered however. Be safe and get you a pager alarm if possible.
thats when you say it was in teh back seat....

my sophomore year in college there were vandalidiots that destroyed about 30-50 cars one night spray painting the cars, breaking windows and slashing tires...just stupid what people do.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
I hope you had someone in the class you skipped taking good notes you can borrow.

I had nightmares after every class I skipped, which were few and far between, during my five years at university.
It was a peer revision session, so nothing really important, ie. no note taking.

It just drives me crazy what people do...luckily, unlike what tripleGmax said, my school doesn't do that sort of reckless stuff. Instead, theives from outside the school most likely come in on occasion and raid cars. Luckily, I wasn't one of them that night.
Again, I'm just happy to have a sound car. And Bobo, believe me, I don't really like skipping class (as nerdy as that sounds), and my school doesn't really tolerate that kind of mis(sed)-education either, and pretty strictly enforces attendence.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM

Just don't keep anything of value in the car, not even a good radio or amp. I would say to get an antitheft device from http://www.unbreakable.com/ , but these people only seem to want the stuff inside the car.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What school is it? if you dont mind me asking~

I went to Morrisville for a year and they had a lot of problems with that, the first year i was there they'd installed cameras in the student parking lots. which was good but i only ahd a grand am back then haha
Old 10-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Just curious, do they have security at these campuses? Do they have posted disclaimers stating they are not responsible, as far as I'm concerned if my car is broken into on school property, the Campus should be held responsible not your insurance, enough complaints by students to administration may get them off their a$$ess to provide better security. I'll bet you if that was a staff parking area and those break-ins occurred, you would definitely see a change in security, as a student why should you settle for anything less, your paying to attend the school and a portion of your tuition should include some guarantee of a secure environment. Oh I’m sorry, this is 2005, no one these days are held accountable…
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Just curious, do they have security at these campuses? Do they have posted disclaimers stating they are not responsible, as far as I'm concerned if my car is broken into on school property, the Campus should be held responsible not your insurance, enough complaints by students to administration may get them off their a$$ess to provide better security. I'll bet you if that was a staff parking area and those break-ins occurred, you would definitely see a change in security, as a student why should you settle for anything less, your paying to attend the school and a portion of your tuition should include some guarantee of a secure environment. Oh I’m sorry, this is 2005, no one these days are held accountable…
Guys right now, I really don't want to say the school's name, for fear someone is watching . Although I haven't said much, I don't know. It doesn't feel right...
Campus Safety actually sat out in the parking lot undercover this past week, especially last night: Mischief Night. I don't park in that lot anymore, I'd rather brave the parking ticket than have a broken window and stolen audio. I'm not dissappointed with my safety now, they are doing something about it. I'll have to look for those signs though, it's probably on some kind of small print somewhere that I signed...
I bought my head unit at a real store, the rest of my audio equipment has been bought off of friends, or so to be ebay (hopefully). I really don't care about the stolen audio (except the head unit: I really like it and it was a bday present), it's just how they'd get into the car that scares me. I hear dealing with a broken window is a real pain, and if they punched the lock the body work would also be annoying. It seems like everything's cool now though, sorry I took so long replying, I forgot I made this thread, or thought that it went dead already.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:22 PM
STFU n00b!

First... why are you buying tint when you should be buying a good alarm and making your system invisible? with dark tint, they're going to assume you have something worth hiding and bust your window to find out. these punks obviously don't care much about not damaging property.. just theives looking for a quick and easy target.

I would also highly suggest taking the stuff OUT of your car. sure it's cool to have a nice system at college and you'll get tons of hot chicks from it... cool older guys will buy you beer in order to listen to your system, and etc etc etc. just take the system out and leave it at home.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
First... why are you buying tint when you should be buying a good alarm and making your system invisible? with dark tint, they're going to assume you have something worth hiding and bust your window to find out. these punks obviously don't care much about not damaging property.. just theives looking for a quick and easy target.

I would also highly suggest taking the stuff OUT of your car. sure it's cool to have a nice system at college and you'll get tons of hot chicks from it... cool older guys will buy you beer in order to listen to your system, and etc etc etc. just take the system out and leave it at home.

Agree with buying a good alarm system, however dark tint is also better because more thieves steal what they CAN see, not what they can't see. Trust me on this one, I'm a NYC retread... PS, no one can prove I every took their $hit...
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

I had to settle for the tint, because hiding the wires in my parking lot would be pretty obvious as well. This is just an extra step. I probably will leave it out, or at least hide the wires when I get home from thanksgiving break. Believe me, I've heard and understood what you're saying. Right now, the wires aren't visible, and the tint does a good job of hiding everything else; plus it looks damn good. There haven't been any incidents since the first one, I park in another lot now that is well-lit, and I keep my face plate completely out of the car. They can see in enough to know it's not going to pay off breaking into a car since they can't do anything without the face plate. I appreciate the advice though, and it isn't the first time I've heard/thought about what you've just said before.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where do you go to school?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 AM

Yikes, that pretty scary. I would definitely invest in a good alarm with a pager since your car is going to be parked in that area for a long time. I know I won't get any kind of aftermarket stereo system until I can afford a decent alarm to go with it. Its a good thing I won't be living in a dorm when I go to school next year! Maybe I'll just try to walk or something!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:15 AM

The problem is, even if I got paging alarm, there would be no way of getting down from the highest floor in my building and running to the lot in time. Thanks for the comments though fellas. I feel pretty safe as I sit now, being so close to security's headquarters (which is funny since I'm parked "illegally"), and knowing I will hide the wiring and everything during break. The thieves will be sorely dissappointed with the audio in my car anyways...I always keep my face plate out of the car, so it's pointless to steal the rest of my cd player, and I have an American Legacy 400watt amp. As I said, it's just how they'd come to find out about the brand name's and everything (ie breaking a window/lock or something).
Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 PM

Wow...glad I left my Whip at home....safe and sound at the crib.......

Here at SIU Carbondale, we had a riot because of the Cubs winning the World Series ( If any of yall just google SIUC , you'll see just how riot-happy we are .. )

I don't know about yall, but the idea of being out of sight of my car scares me......

BTW, at least you DO get a lot.Freshmen students in C-dale must park in the Apartment blocks about 30 Minutes away from campus, foot speed. And people like to get drunk over there.......
Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Rent-a-cop or actual campus police?