General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For all Canadians - Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I Know Kwaliti

For all Canadians - Please Read!

Moderators please leave it in this forum as it has a better chance of it being read than in Canada section...

Guys, I just talked to our friend and sponsor that gets us cheaper than our local dealers OEM Nissan parts - Dave B - and he has expressed reluctance and concern to deal with us Canadians. He has brought to my attention that some of you had bought parts from him recently, got the parts you ordered and were billed afterwards by Fedex for customs and duty. Since some of you have declined to pay for it, he got stuck with the bill of some $300+! that in all fairness should have been paid by you. I hope that all of you understand what problems this has caused to him at his work becuse he will have to pay for the bill. Lets be fair to him and other Canadian org members that will want to buy parts from him in the future at discount prices and pay your bills.

I just bought a MAF from him for $90 that local dealer wanted $550 + tx for. I will gladly pay for the 15% tax on $90 in order to save $500! Please pay your share so we could retain our relationship with him and continue to buy cheaper-than-local-dealer parts!

Thank you...
Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Wow, thats a bummer. If you order parts you should have enough money in your pockets beforehand.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Ship as a gift, done and done, but yes Dave shouldnt be stuck with that bill
Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Even as a gift, unless it comes via USPS (which he cannot use anyway) for shipments with curriers you will most likely get charged brokerage fees, tax and duty for items over $20 in most cases... Under $20 you would be exempt... Been there... In any case Dave should not have to worry about that but the buyer...
Old 11-11-2005, 05:46 PM

Wow, how embarrassing. Cheap Canadians ruining discounted prices for all of us. Hope Dave will continue to workwith us.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by 02theMax
Wow, how embarrassing. Cheap Canadians ruining discounted prices for all of us. Hope Dave will continue to workwith us.

I had bought many parts from him in the past so he trusted me that I will pay for the customs/duty/tax if there are any... He sold a MAF to me today... I reassured him that I will pay for the customs/duty/tax if there are any... I just hope that this does not ruin it for all other Canadians that do pay...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
Ship as a gift, done and done, but yes Dave shouldnt be stuck with that bill
it's a federal offence to do that, and anyone running a legit business would be a complete fool to devalue their shipments. i've done it multiple times for people i've sold to, but it's really not worth it for a real company.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dave should tell Fedex to pound sand. How is it his fault if the receiver doesn't pay the bills? BTW, Dave has shipped to me via USPS in the past and it is by far the best way.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:21 PM

He definitely shouldn't be left with the bill. People need to realize its not his fault the shipping is so high, its the Canadian government. I'm personally sick of how much they charge us for EVERYTHING but I don't want to get into a huge discussion on here I do believe hearing that they may be raising the limit on how much we can bring back with us from the US so maybe that will affect shipping/brokerage charges too?

What I do since I live close to the US border is just ship my purchases to a store on the other side, drive across and claim them on the way back into Canada. Way cheaper if you're within a close distance.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by Jaws
Dave should tell Fedex to pound sand. How is it his fault if the receiver doesn't pay the bills? BTW, Dave has shipped to me via USPS in the past and it is by far the best way.
I had mentioned USPS to him but he said that USPS does not collect parcels from them and it is not convenient for him to drop it off at their office and as such prefers Fedex which picks it up and gives him good rates...

Also, curriers will collect any outstanding dues from the shipper if the receiver does not pay especially if they are a business customer that they deal with on regular basis...

Like I said, this is not something he should have to worry about... Whoever bought, should pay for it... He saves us hundreds of $$ and to stiff him with the bill for tax if not cool... He saved me $500 just yesterday and I will be more than happy to pay $15 tax on $90-MAF that dealer wanted $550 + tx for...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
He definitely shouldn't be left with the bill. People need to realize its not his fault the shipping is so high, its the Canadian government. I'm personally sick of how much they charge us for EVERYTHING but I don't want to get into a huge discussion on here I do believe hearing that they may be raising the limit on how much we can bring back with us from the US so maybe that will affect shipping/brokerage charges too?

What I do since I live close to the US border is just ship my purchases to a store on the other side, drive across and claim them on the way back into Canada. Way cheaper if you're within a close distance.
It's not the Canadian gov't screwing us, it's Fedex and UPS screwing up on brokerage fees. If the part is made in the US there is no duty under NAFTA. If it is shipped by USPS (United States Postal Service), you pick it up at Canada Post and pay GST and a $5 admin fee and that's it. I got hit with a $40 brokerage fee the first, and only time, I used UPS when I bought the Addco RSB from Cattman.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Jer

Though I've never done this myself, I'll say this much to try and even out the balance/blame on whoever did this (I'm assuming more than one party) : do the people that were reluctant to pay know that it landed Dave in trouble? If they do, that makes them jerks.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by Jaws
It's not the Canadian gov't screwing us, it's Fedex and UPS screwing up on brokerage fees.
Agreed. I had many "encounters" with UPS on their brokerage fees, especially when they would charge me $20 brokerage fee for a $20 item. I try to avoid curriers whenever I can when I get stuff from US because of it. In this case, Dave has no choice but to ship via Fedex so it is up to us to include that in the price and make a decision that way if we want to buy from him or not, but not let him pay for our disagreement with currier brokerage fees. He should not have to pay for that.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by Jer
Though I've never done this myself, I'll say this much to try and even out the balance/blame on whoever did this (I'm assuming more than one party) : do the people that were reluctant to pay know that it landed Dave in trouble?
Jer, I don't know that is why I decided to post here and for a future reference for anyone that may think about it...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 AM
no more maxima...

This is horrible, and one of the reasons why I do not deal with Fed-EX. Why can't they just give you the bill immediately rather than save it for later? This is exactly why I ONLY deal with USPS when importing items from the US.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Yup, so far my experience has been that Fedex and DHL tend to give you the bill afterwards, whereas UPS slaps you with it right away... In any case that is something to keep in mind when using any curriers for shipments from US...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Maximaler Experte

Who's Dave and how do we order from him?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:23 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Dave B is a friendly parts guy at SouthPoint Nissan in Texas who gives org members good discount on OEM Nissan parts. Phone number: 1-888-254-6060. If you do buy parts from him make sure you have the customs/duty covered
Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 PM

Wow this really sucks for DaveB. I am fed up with dealing with FedEX. They are just as bad as UPS, but worse b/c they send the bill almost 1 month later.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Yup, I hate all of them. Had it out with all levels of management of UPS on one occassion when they charged me $20 brokerage fee for an item that was valued at $20 (it was an air filter). So I got an opportunity to yell at 3 layers of UPS managers because of their policy to impose $20 brokerage fee for any item that is valued at over $20 and mine happened to be right at $20. Just imagine how p'ed off I was over that... On one occassion I dealt with DHL, bought an item from US that was shipped via DHL, the seller sent me wrong stuff so I returned it, the seller did not refund me nor send the correct item though he acknoledged the mistake and took the item back for exchange for the right one (got the money back through PayPal then), then DHL sent me the brokerage bill for when it was sent to me. I told them where to go too...
Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 AM

Thanks Igzy! I certainly appreciate everyone's business, regardless of where they are from. It's just regrettable that this whole brokerage industry exists for very little purpose other than to increase the cost of trade between our countries! Bottom line, tho, I am still shipping to Canada, but with the understanding that I will charge the customer's CC # for the fees if I get billed for them. On a brighter note, one of the guys who's fees I got billed for just called to make arrangements!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Happy to hear from you Dave and even happier that the post made a positive impact on the org'ers We all certainly want to maintain a good relationship with you.

Once again thank you for your contribution and help in getting us parts at great prices!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 AM

Another option to save on brokerage is to set yourself with a local importer/broker. When you have an item shipped, state up front that brokerage will be handled by your local company. The fee charged by an independant should be substantially less than UPS, DLH, FedEX etc.

I stumbled across this option when I was explaining to a friend, who works for a customs broker, that I was being raped by UPS for $53 brokerage on a $150 item. She laughed and told me that the from can be filed out in under a minute. Since then, shw has handle my brokerage.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Jer

UPS is slightly more expensive than FedEx, that's the only thing.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I found out from Dave that one orger has called in already to arrange for the payment of his share. I wanted to ask all others who haven't for sake of all other org members and yourself to call in and arrange with Dave to cover the unpaid expenses...

Lets help the guy out!

Thanks...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by igzy
I found out from Dave that one orger has called in already to arrange for the payment of his share. I wanted to ask all others who haven't for sake of all other org members and yourself to call in and arrange with Dave to cover the unpaid expenses...

Lets help the guy out!

Thanks...
What Dave/you should do is post the usernames of the people who haven't paid..that would put some heat on them to do so.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Great idea! Will suggest it to him as an option...
Old 11-19-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
What Dave/you should do is post the usernames of the people who haven't paid..that would put some heat on them to do so.
I think this is a great idea. DaveB should not have to pay for this.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM

When importing stuff, here is what you normally get billed for:

1-Shipping cost

2-GST based on the amount showed on commercial invoice which is supplied by the seller.

3-Customs fee for clearing goods. ( Canada post charge 5$ for good up to 1600$ )

4-International duties and excise ( if any applicable )

If you guys are importing stuff on a regular base, you should use the service of a custom brooker or sign a contract with Fedex or any reputable transport company.
The contract will give you much better rate. If you only import stuff once in a while, make sure everything is ship by USPS this way the customs are taken care by Post Canada and their rate are very reasonable, it's one of the cheapest way to import goods. You can also take care of the customs clearance yourself, check the link below. The free trade agreement or NAFTA eliminate international duties and excise tax between the country that are involve in the agreement, if you orderd some parts from USA that are made in China you will pay int'l dutie. Here is a good start for you guys to learn more about the Canada Border agency: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/menu-e.html

I hope this will help you all.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 02theMax
MOTHER ****ERS!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Hey Nickel, you cant put all the people in the same boat, it's not because few dishonest people dont pay their bills that you should treat all the canadians of Mother Focker, if it's what you really think then I suggest that you never travel to canada you may end up returning to US in a wooden box. Lol.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Nickel, not sure how to interpret your post, but just to let you know that 02theMax's (note that he is from Canada too) comment was directed towards us Canadians as we have caused the trouble to Dave and that this may have impact on him doing business with Canadians and not folks from US...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:01 AM
I Know Kwaliti

And in addition to this, I don't think your post is in line with guidelines that were established around appropriate language use on this site...

Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey.. I have a question... How would I go on buying something from DAVEB, I have

been here on the org fro a while, but never realized he can get stuff for us cheaper...

what kind of things? obviously I understand it is stock. example, I need a timing chain tensioner.