General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help!! Something is popping my trunk open by itself...

Old 06-04-2001, 08:48 PM

I think my car is either posessed or there is something in the neighborhood that has the same frequency as my trunk release signal from my keyless entry. Today, every time I drove down my street, my trunk would "pop" open, like I had hit the release button on the door, but I was nowhere near hitting it. Really annoying and sort of creepy. Happened 5 times today, inconsistant with exact location, but all within 2 blocks of my house. Is it possible there is another Maxima or vehicle in the neighborhood that has the same "frequency" that is causing my trunk lid to pop open??? If I re-program my remote, will it change codes or something? Anyone have the link to the page w/ the step by step instrucions on how to re-program the remote?
Old 06-04-2001, 09:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, that happens every couple of months to me too. I just have to stop by the side of the road and close it. I haven't figured out a pattern or rhyme/reason to it.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Jambo
Yeah, that happens every couple of months to me too. I just have to stop by the side of the road and close it. I haven't figured out a pattern or rhyme/reason to it.
I used to find it open when I went into the garage every morning, but figured it was one of my kids messing with the keys or playing in the car or something. Today was weird because it was not only the first time it happened with me there, I was actually driving, and it happened so frequently today. Sort of makes me want to drive around the neighborhood slowly while pushing buttons on the remote and see if anyone else's car reacts.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:13 PM

Is it possible that the trunk button on the remote is stuck and opening your trunk every so often? Sometimes I accidentally hit the trunk button on the door with my elbow and I have to go out and close it.

Why don't you try taking the batteries out of your remote, and see if the trunk still opens mysteriously.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:19 PM

I had the same problem with the remote garage door, I'd come out in the morning to find it open, I staked it out one night and it turned out to be the guy up the road who drove his cab home after his shift, some how the radio gear in his cab was triggering my garage door to open, so i called the manufacturer they sent out a tech and changed the frequency, he reckons it's quite frequent.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:35 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by The_quorum
I think my car is either posessed or there is something in the neighborhood that has the same frequency as my trunk release signal from my keyless entry. Today, every time I drove down my street, my trunk would "pop" open, like I had hit the release button on the door, but I was nowhere near hitting it. Really annoying and sort of creepy. Happened 5 times today, inconsistant with exact location, but all within 2 blocks of my house. Is it possible there is another Maxima or vehicle in the neighborhood that has the same "frequency" that is causing my trunk lid to pop open??? If I re-program my remote, will it change codes or something? Anyone have the link to the page w/ the step by step instrucions on how to re-program the remote?
I noticed you have an audio system... maybe the trunk release solenoid trigger wire is grounding... it runs along the drivers side just between the seat and door... It opens when you ground it... It's a long shot...

I'm not sure if the trunk release via remote works if the car is on... I've nevered checked it, though

GOOD HUNTING!
Old 06-05-2001, 12:54 PM

remote does not work when key is in the ignition

water in there ? grounding out ?

keep in mind.. remote is disabled when your keys are in the ignition
Old 06-05-2001, 01:17 PM

you can lock the trunk so that the remote and door button won't pop it open. turn the key to the left, instead of the right (like when opening it).
Old 06-05-2001, 10:19 PM

you can also lock the trunk from inside the trunk... its next to the lock its a little lever that goes up and down... feel it out to see which position is lock... i keep mine locked so my box in my trunk stays a little safer... only thing is i have to take the key out of the ignition when i want to open the trunk
Old 06-06-2001, 09:10 AM
JimW

I had the exact same problem-->

Originally posted by The_quorum
drove me batty for 2 weeks until I figured it out. I would actually be driving and hear it pop open.
In the trunk, in the trunklid, you need to look up into the trunklid and look at the locking mechanism. There is a spring that should be easily visible. I'm not sure of the name of this spring, but it holds the trunk lock mechanism in the "lock" position. IN my case, the spring had broken at one end, and when it breaks/falls off, then the mechanism is no longer held inthe locked position. What happened to me, is over a bump in the road or something, the upward lift on the trunklid would let the latch release, and the trunklid would pop open. The only way to fix this was to buy a new trunk mechanism (the spring came in the package) In my case, I found a Max in a scrap yard, and took the spring from there. It's pretty easy to do, you'll just need a pair of needlenose pliers.

Old 06-06-2001, 09:26 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: I had the exact same problem-->

Originally posted by JimW

drove me batty for 2 weeks until I figured it out. I would actually be driving and hear it pop open.
In the trunk, in the trunklid, you need to look up into the trunklid and look at the locking mechanism. There is a spring that should be easily visible. I'm not sure of the name of this spring, but it holds the trunk lock mechanism in the "lock" position. IN my case, the spring had broken at one end, and when it breaks/falls off, then the mechanism is no longer held inthe locked position. What happened to me, is over a bump in the road or something, the upward lift on the trunklid would let the latch release, and the trunklid would pop open. The only way to fix this was to buy a new trunk mechanism (the spring came in the package) In my case, I found a Max in a scrap yard, and took the spring from there. It's pretty easy to do, you'll just need a pair of needlenose pliers.
Here's the TSB for the 98 concerning this:

Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1998

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00015
Bulletin Sequence Number: 109
Date of Bulletin: 02/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB610986
Component: STRUCTURE:TRUNK LID AND DOOR ASSEMBLY

Summary: Concerns about the trunk lid popping open.

I'm sure the other years have related TSBs.

Interestingly, my "bare bones" 99 with the non-electric trunk release (that's right, you have to pull a lever) has never popped open. I wonder if different latch assemblies are used for the trunk?
Old 06-06-2001, 09:37 AM

it could be worse, on my old caddy it had the trunk where you just put it down, and the motor pulls the trunk closed.. the motor worked intermittently and what would happen is i would close it, it would lock but not bring it down.. so i had to play around with it with the trunk open and when i got it to pull down, i unplugged the motor so i could just slam the trunk, it was a pain